Do any of you obsess over having a bottle of hand sanitizer?

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

Well some of my coworkers obsess over sterilizing their hands throughout the day. They have miniature bottles of Purell or Germ-X in their pockets and sterilize 2-3 times per hour.
Do any of you do this?

Personally, I don't get it. I mean we have immune systems for a reason right? I haven't been sick in years. The only time I haven't felt well is the occasional allergy headache during spring and fall.
I know to wash my hands after using the bathroom and all that, but constantly sanitizing my hands seems like it's not worth it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Im getting there. Mostly because there are people out there who think they can shower once a week and spray fabreeze on the shirt they've been wearing 4 days and they'll be good, on account of "your immune system and stuff". If it were socially acceptable for me to go to concerts with a can of air sanitizer and a nose plug, I might do that too. Dirty birds all over the place.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

No, thankfully I'm not obsessive compulsive about that but I am about other things.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, that shit is gross. I don't care if it's sterile, it's still gross- like urine.

nvorgang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By nvorgang

Thought that that hand sanitizer's effects got weaker the more you used it?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463

Nope. I hate using those dam things. They always make your hands smell terrible, and my hands always feel sticky and weird after I use them for at least a couple hours after the fact. Did I mention the smell? Man I hate the smell of that crap.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By SMTDante89

Not to that point yet, but I do wash my hands fairly often, pretty much after I do almost anything and always before I mess with any kind of food.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I wash my hands with soap when I piss, shit or about to handle food. That's about it. My wife on the other hand is a germaphobe. She can't go an hour without hand sanitizer. Fucking OCD sucks.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By PerryVandell

No, I don't really like the smell of hand sanitizer. 

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wipeout

I even stopped washing my hands before eating.  Haven't gotten proper sick in years now-we've become such pussies as a society.  Do animals demand Evian water sterilized with chlorine?  No, they just go and drink from the nearest stream.  The only time I wash them now is if I've handled chemicals, because your immune system can't do anything about that.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By BraveToaster

You guys remember when Staph Infection started spreading like crazy in big cities? A few companies released products that provided protection, so more people started carrying hand sanitizer.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

OK, it kills 99.9% of germs. But, leaving that strong 0.1% behind to make more like itself makes me paranoid. I only use it when I'm not around a sink and soap. 

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Beaudacious

Using those tiny bottles of sanitizer all the time is contradictory to your health.  Hey if you sanitize those flu germs away year after year, well that one year where you do get the flu you better head to the doctor. Otherwise you might have a great 2 months of debilitating illness, compared to the normal 2 days.

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wipeout

Although I should say that even though what I said it my above post is true, I still sleeve my hand before touching a doorknob.  Those things just give me the heebie geebies thinking about whats on there.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
@Wipeout said:
Although I should say that even though what I said it my above post is true, I still sleeve my hand before touching a doorknob.  Those things just give me the heebie geebies thinking about whats on there.

But I thought you were the manly nature guy. What happened to him?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

i wouldn't call it obsess but i do have a bottle by my computer. i use it sometimes when my hands don't feel great.

maximus_vi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maximus_vi

I don't obsess over it, but I carry one of the small bottles in my backpack. If I happen to be sitting in class or sitting on the bus and it occurs to me that I haven't washed my hands for a while, I will use it. Keep in mind I go to a university with 50,000 students. When I'm not at school, I rarely use sanitizer.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Surkov

I wash my hands about 4 times or more at school. Fucking community college. 

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By fox01313

Nope though it is amusing at times to remind people who are this obsessive on possible contact points where germs can still get through or talking about diseases which are probably immune to such nonsense.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By grilledcheez

I like to have some on-hand to use a few times a day, but I've been out for awhile without losing my mind.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Matfei90

No, but I certainly want there to be soap in bathrooms when I use them. Not washing my hands really gets to me and I (naturally) refuse to touch anything or be comfortable with it.

But I don't go washing/sanitising my hands 3-4 times an hour for the fun of it without a solid reason to.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Commando
@ryanwho said:
Im getting there. Mostly because there are people out there who think they can shower once a week and spray fabreeze on the shirt they've been wearing 4 days and they'll be good, on account of "your immune system and stuff". If it were socially acceptable for me to go to concerts with a can of air sanitizer and a nose plug, I might do that too. Dirty birds all over the place.
Why don't you just avoid physical contact with those people instead?
Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i barely wash my hands nowadays because im too lazy and i use the excuse that im trying to build bacterial resistance...  maybe thats why im sick right now

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By ShadowKnight508

No...I only use it after handling raw meats or when I have to deal with a mess that the cat or dog makes (having a accident on the carpet, throwing up, etc). I just wash my hands instead of constantly fretting over a bottle of sanitizer xD

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Yeah, alot of time I wash my hands. It's very possible if you do it too much, you have clear symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Hizang

Nope.
Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Muerthoz

No on the hand sanitizer. Although I tend to rinse my hands off with plain water most of the times I pass by the kitchen sink.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hot_Karl

I used to, sure, but at this point, germs don't bug me all that much.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Yanngc33

Nope, I wash my hands when I feel like they need washing (usually after murder)

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vodun
@Commando: Personally I'd say constantly sterilizing yourself is gonna kill you faster than eating a shit sandwich. Like it or not we actually need bacteria as some of them are good for us. And the once that are not we need to be exposed to so our immune system can learn to combat it. Take tribes of people who've never been exposed to modern society (they still exist in the Amazon). If we'd actually meet with them, there's a pretty big chance they'd die off due to bacteria and viruses we've learned to fight off.

Carlin, always spoke the truth:

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WickedCobra03

No.  That seems like totally I would be worrying about, but I really don't have OCD about much, and hygiene isn't huge (unless someone doesn't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, sneezes and then wants to shake my hand...ect ... that is just disgusting).

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Enigma777
No because I don't have a vagina.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho
@Commando said:
@ryanwho said:
Why don't you just avoid physical contact with those people instead?
Have you ever been to a concert? 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

You read a thread like this and suddenly you understand the kind of people who were at PAX when that disease went around.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Heck no, never. But I do wash my hands regularly, I just don't carry around hand sanitizer, on account of I'm a dude.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vexxan

Can't remember ever using a hand sanitizer, soap and water does the job.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I've watched people for years do such nasty things with their hands: wipe their noses and then touch a communal mouse or keyboard, cough into their hands (why the fuck would you do this? Cough into your elbow) pick their noses/ears, etc. Peoples hands are most definitely not clean.

Which means mine aren't either, since part of living in society means you have to touch stuff other people touches. I don't bother with the sanitizer, I just make sure my hands are in ENVIRONMENT ONLY mode where they don't touch me. No wiping my brow, no rubbing my eyes, no biting my nails, I just keep my hands off me until I can get home where I know I keep things relatively clean.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vodun
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Meowshi

Constantly using hand sanitizer is bad for you.

I'm so glad I'm not a germophobe.  What a miserable existence.  
Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ben99

I keep one in my car when I mess around fixing something in the car I just wipe off the greasy , black stuff that lingers on . 

Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Daemon

Nope, I've never even used any of those bottled hand sanitizers.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hzaife

I drive trains for a living so getting out of them and having break dust all over my hands when i grab hand rails to exit the cab annoys me, i always keep Dettol Hand Sanitizer and Glen20 surface deodorizer in my bag

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By melcene

I have one of these at my desk at work, and one that hangs from my purse: