• 59 results
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

I have a Newegg.com preferred account credit card and an Amazon rewards credit card, both with fairly modest credit lines. I was raised believing that credit cards were bad, and you shouldn't spend money that isn't yours. I still am wary of making purchases with my cards, and I have never (and hopefully won't ever) paid any interest on either of the cards. I remember when I first bought something with a credit card: I felt like I had just cheated somehow. It was an odd feeling; purchasing something that was now sort of mine, but looking in my back account and not seeing any withdrawals. 

What about you guys? Have any credit cards? Scared of them? Don't care? Share your thoughts.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

2, American Express and Discover, and no it doesn't make me too nervous, I'm responsible enough to keep track of what i'm spending and make sure not to spend more than I have; that way I pay on time and therefore no interest, while being really convenient. On top of that, some rebates/special deals means sometimes I even save for spending the same amount of money.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mrfizzy

One Mastercard, i have a debit card for everyday spending, the credit card is just there for emergencies. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

I have:

Chase Sony Rewards Card
Amazon Store Credit Card
Star Card (AAFES Card)

There's nothing to be afraid of. It's always good to pay more than the minimum due each month.
KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KarlPilkington

Two debit cards.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By tobygw

I wish I had a credit card. I'm only 16 though, so I wouldn't actually get one. I would just want it for its ease of use though, not to spend money I don't have.

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Ubik

I can understand your feelings about credit, but our modern monetary system is based on credit and lending so it's almost inevitable that people have at least one credit card nowadays.  Besides, cash is a pain in the ass.  My wife and I share a credit card, and we have our separate debit cards, but that's it.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By WickedCobra03

1 Mastercard.  I know it is actually not amazing for your credit, but I usually keep it pretty paid off.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

One Visa card. There is nothing wrong them as long as you only buy things with it when you have the money in your pocket. When ever I use it I take the money out of my wallet and set it aside so that I don't acidently spend it. Then just make a point of paying your balance in the off week that they charge interest. Or if you have online banking set up, you can do that and never leave your home.

JesseG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By JesseG

I have a Visa. I use it pretty much only for buying things online, which I usually pay online immediately. I've never received a bill with any owing lol.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fenixrevolution

I have two or five, but three are just retail cards and have probably been cancelled due to inactivity. The other two I got at separate times so I could use the 12 month zero perecent to buy a TV and a computer. I only use them now in cases of extreme emergency or ignorant impulse, but always pay them off quickly.

Never been scared of them, but I have a few friends who have horror stories, mostly their fault to boot.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 34

#12  Edited By Junior_AIN

I have a Visa, though I rarely use it, mostly on online purchases.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

I use credit cards. They give me 1% back on all purchases and I know this little thing called math, to not overspend what I have. Anybody that scared, probably doesn't. 

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pibo47

I have one debt card with chase. They have been very good to me so far, unlike BoA. They sucked ass.

Dain22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dain22
@BigLemon said:

" I have a Newegg.com preferred account credit card and an Amazon rewards credit card, both with fairly modest credit lines. I was raised believing that credit cards were bad, and you shouldn't spend money that isn't yours. I still am wary of making purchases with my cards, and I have never (and hopefully won't ever) paid any interest on either of the cards. I remember when I first bought something with a credit card: I felt like I had just cheated somehow. It was an odd feeling; purchasing something that was now sort of mine, but looking in my back account and not seeing any withdrawals. 

What about you guys? Have any credit cards? Scared of them? Don't care? Share your thoughts.
"
If you still feel weird about it (or if anyone else out there feels this way) you can always transfer money you have in an account (e.g., debit) to your credit card, giving it a negative value, and then make your purchase. The negative value represents credit you have that you can spend, where a positive value represents money you owe and have to pay back.  That might help break the weird psychological loop.
CitizenSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By CitizenSlug

I have never had one and, for the most part, never plan on having one. I don't believe in the need of a credit card, and I have my debit card if I want to spend any money.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

Of course I have credit cards.  Being an American means being in debt!

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brians

yes i do, and yes I payback my credit card bill every month.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

Nope. Haven't had a reason to get one yet. I'm sure I'll have one in the future though for some reason.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

i only have a debt card. i spend it on gas every week when i need gas.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Animasta

I only have a debit card, it's like a check you carry around in your pocket!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I've run into numerous situations where having one would be great, but I don't. Always have to use my dad's whenever I buy anything online, or off PSN/XBLA (and since I'm in college, I really should have one). Oh well! 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta
@MooseyMcMan said:
" I've run into numerous situations where having one would be great, but I don't. Always have to use my dad's whenever I buy anything online, or off PSN/XBLA (and since I'm in college, I really should have one). Oh well!  "
get a debit card!
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24  Edited By damnboyadvance

I used a few prepaid credit cards.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@Laketown said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" I've run into numerous situations where having one would be great, but I don't. Always have to use my dad's whenever I buy anything online, or off PSN/XBLA (and since I'm in college, I really should have one). Oh well!  "
get a debit card! "
That'd still probably involve more time and effort than I'm willing to invest. And even if I did have my own card (either), the end result would just be me with a bunch of Game Room games and weird Japanese-y games bought on Amazon (weird as in Persona 3 Portable, not any of that kinky stuff like what Jeff  has bought in the past), so I'm probably better off overall. 
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By monetarydread

I don't technically have a credit card. I bank with a company called Manulife and they gave me a $100,000 line of credit. It is basically just a secured credit card, but I pay next to nothing for interest, at the risk of losing my house if I default.

BlackPlastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackPlastic

I have a Mastercard, it's used to buy groceries and gas. Everything else goes on my debit card.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE

I have two credit cards (one is backup). I use the first credit card for literally everything I buy and the only time I won't is when the retailer/vendor won't accept credit card as a method of payment. Credit Cards are only bad for people who can't budget or control their spending; they're a really damn useful tool for everyone that does budget and can control their spending.

@Laketown said:
" I only have a debit card, it's like a check you carry around in your pocket! "
Not really...a cheque is a promise of a payment while a debit card is an almost instant e-payment. Either way I find debit cards to be pretty much useless because of the fact that credit cards exist.
BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BigLemon
@Dain22 said:
" @BigLemon said:

" I have a Newegg.com preferred account credit card and an Amazon rewards credit card, both with fairly modest credit lines. I was raised believing that credit cards were bad, and you shouldn't spend money that isn't yours. I still am wary of making purchases with my cards, and I have never (and hopefully won't ever) paid any interest on either of the cards. I remember when I first bought something with a credit card: I felt like I had just cheated somehow. It was an odd feeling; purchasing something that was now sort of mine, but looking in my back account and not seeing any withdrawals. 

"
If you still feel weird about it (or if anyone else out there feels this way) you can always transfer money you have in an account (e.g., debit) to your credit card, giving it a negative value, and then make your purchase. The negative value represents credit you have that you can spend, where a positive value represents money you owe and have to pay back.  That might help break the weird psychological loop. "
Good point, though I don't know many folks who use credit cards like that. And I still have my debit card for liquidity's sake.
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By SMTDante89

Two debit cards and that's it.  One is mine, and one is linked to my mom's account in case anything happens and I have to pay the bills/groceries/etc.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By PerryVandell

Yes I have one credit card. It's pretty handy and a good way to build up some much-needed credit--if you pay the bills on time. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah one, and I save it for online purchases. I'm with you, don't like spending what's not mine. But if you pay it off quickly, it's not a big deal. 

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I had a few for about 15 years. I never got into trouble with them but I years ago cut them up and refuse to use credit for anything. If I can't afford it, I simply don't need it.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BigLemon
@Fajita_Jim said:
" I had a few for about 15 years. I never got into trouble with them but I years ago cut them up and refuse to use credit for anything. If I can't afford it, I simply don't need it. "
That's the mantra I have lived by for all of my adult life.
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Just to build up credit so I can eventually buy a house.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By turboman

3... 1 Visa and 2 Expired Visas

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BigLemon
@PrivateIronTFU said:
" Just to build up credit so I can eventually buy a house. "
You don't really need credit cards to build up credit anymore like you used to. Although it still is a viable option, there's plenty of other ways your credit builds. 
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By KaosAngel

Got a Blue American Express and the standard Bank Visa on my checking account.  

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RE_Player1

Nope. I'm a cash man.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@BigLemon said:
" @PrivateIronTFU said:
" Just to build up credit so I can eventually buy a house. "
You don't really need credit cards to build up credit anymore like you used to. Although it still is a viable option, there's plenty of other ways your credit builds.  "
I'm aware. But it is a rather quick way.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By grilledcheez

Yep, but I don't use it

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#42  Edited By tearhead

I have one Mastercard and a debit card. I only use paper money to buy food and watch movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

IMO, that is a weird fear/moral objection to have. I have never thought of it. I have one credit card, just because I don't see the point in more than one (I guess rewards?)

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

i have an amazon store card that i immediately pay off every month in the interest of "building my credit score". im assured thats important.

oh, and my mac is on a card i got for school. thats a one time deal though
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

Just a boring old Master Card. 

Nothing special about it
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#46  Edited By gla55jAw

I have a bunch. An American Express Blue card is my main card. I have a Visa Debit, an Amazon Store Card, Best Buy, Walmart, Guitar Center and PayPal Debit card. I only use the store cards for when there is a special financing without interest and out of those I only use the Amazon and BB cards. I've never paid any of my bills late and never had a balance without financing still left so all my cards have some crazy limit. I think my AMEX limit is like 25Gs.

Consaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Consaw

I have a debit card for everyday purchases and a Visa credit card for emergency use. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BigLemon: I have a MasterCard and maxed it almost as soon as I received it.

Upgraded my PC, got a few other bits and pieces and lived off it for a few weeks. I'm now sitting right on the cusp of going over the limit.

Credit cards are scary.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vodun

I have never seen the point of buying small stuff with money you aint got. Now for something like a house which would take maaaany years to save up to I can see a point (and I have a loan =P), but for something like a TV or console or even smaller...something which would maybe take you a month or two to get the money for....nah. Too many uncertainties in life, at least my bank account can be stable.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rflx

I have a Visa that I use for everything. I hate having to carry around bulky cash.