Do You Pray When There Are No Other Options?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

So...I know how threads on religion usually go on these forums. BUT...I really hope this one doesn't go that way. Because I think this is an interesting topic that might lead to responses that I think, but don't actually know for sure, may surprise people. I know that there are people like myself that grew up around one form of religion or another. This has lead to a number of people having very strong views on religion. For, against or apathetic these views are ever present in most of us and these beliefs come to fruition in a number of ways (might I, again, bring up how most threads on these forums usually go when religion is brought up).

So, what I want to know is, when you're back is against the wall, you're faced with an impossible situation and there are no other options available to you do you pray to a, or your, God?

Here's an example that literally just happened to me. I'm house and pet-sitting for a friend of mine while she is out of town for the week. Everything was going great until I left her dog alone for one split second. I had a bottle of Ibuprofen sitting high up on a counter where I thought it was out of reach of any animal. Apparently it wasn't. The dog took the bottle down and proceeded to tear it to shreds. When I came back the bottle was destroyed and the dog was sitting over it satisfied by the dumbass decision it had just made. There wasn't much Ibuprofen left but there was enough that the dog could have easily had died from ingesting all of them (by way of kidney or liver failure among other terrible medical problems). Most of the medication was still in the bottle but I couldn't be sure that he hadn't ingested some of the pills when he destroyed the bottle. So, I knew that he needed immediate vet care. Unfortunately, at the moment I had no money and neither did anyone I knew. I'm a college student and was waiting for my loans to disburse and everyone I know was either broke or near broke. Add to this the fact that an ER visit for a dog, just to be checked in, was near $100 let alone all of the fees for treatment required on the day of service lead me to one unfortunate realization; I couldn't help him. I was told by a person at the ER how to induce vomiting but, other then that, I had no other options. Scared to death that I had just signed this dog's death warrant and scared that I was going to have to tell my friend that after just a few days on vacation I had killed her dog, I panicked and felt like I had to do something even if I didn't think it was going to work. I prayed. I prayed like I've never prayed before. I prayed for money so that I could take him to a vet. I prayed that to God for him to keep the dog's kidneys and liver safe. I prayed that he wouldn't get ulcers. I prayed for just about everything. The next day, today in fact, my loans disbursed and I took the dog to the ER. His liver and kidneys are fine and he only has an irritated GI tract. I don't know if the prayer worked or not. But I do know that when I had nothing else left I did what I thought was right; I prayed. Whether it is a coincidence or not, the dog is still alive and besides basically an upset stomach he is fine.

So, in a situation like I was in or some other situation when you have no options available to you, how many of you break down and really, legitimately pray for something good to come out of something terrible?

EDIT: I DID induce vomiting. I thought I put that in here but I guess I didn't. He threw up three times.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

No, because I'm not a child.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@HandsomeDead said:

I could have figured you would say something like that. Always nice to have you around.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Barrock

Unfortunately no. I think it might make some things easier in life but I don't believe in that sort of thing. However if it can comfort you, I encourage you to continue to do so.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I wish upon a star.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

Riddle me this; if god is such a cool and omnipotent guy who you seem to worship on a regular basis, why did you have to pray super hard to get his help with the dog? And if he's willing to help you with the loans and the dog, why doesn't he help people who are in mortal danger, or am I not getting it by trying to apply rational human standards to a fairy tale?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By EuanDewar

Nope, that seems like the ultimate defeat. It would accomplish about as much as just shouting "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JasonR86

@Barrock said:

Unfortunately no. I think it might make some things easier in life but I don't believe in that sort of thing. However if it can comfort you, I encourage you to continue to do so.

That's fair. I get why you wouldn't want to pray in a similar situation but I guess my old, old habits are hard to break. But you're right, regardless of what actual impact the praying had on the situation at large it did make me feel a little better. I guess it is the sense of control, as if I had some say in what was happening even if I probably didn't.

@LordXavierBritish said:

I wish upon a star.

Nice.

@HandsomeDead said:

Riddle me this; if god is such a cool and omnipotent guy who you seem to worship on a regular basis, why did you have to pray super hard to get his help with the dog? And if he's willing to help you with the loans and the dog, why doesn't he help people who are in mortal danger, or am I not getting it by trying to apply rational human standards to a fairy tale?

Like I said, I don't know if the prayer worked or not. I never said that the reason the dog is alive is due to my prayers. But I did say that when I had no other options I prayed my ass off. If you don't like that then that is fine. You don't need to be a dick about it. Just answer the question and move on. I don't want this thread to go down the usual 'religions are for idiots' path we've seen time and time again on here. Disagree, give a reason, defend it if you like and go on your way. Don't pick on me or others that don't agree with you. You're acting as if you are giving a fair argument for your view but by throwing out little jabs like '...am I not getting it by trying to apply rational human standards to a fairy tale?" all you are doing is trying to pick a fight. Like I said previously, I don't want this to go down the typical, religion thread path that we've seen over and over again on the GB forums. Stop trying to make that happen.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JasonR86

@EuanDewar said:

Nope, that seems like the ultimate defeat. It would accomplish about as much as just shouting "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK".

In the situation I described what would you have done to stem the tide of the 'ultimate defeat'? I know praying didn't seem like much but, to me, it meant a lot.

...by the way, I said 'fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck' too.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Master_Funk

Thats great news about your dog.

I try to pray regularly since its a pretty fundamental part of my faith.

But yeah, you tend to pray extra hard when your back is against the wall.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JasonR86

@Master_Funk said:

Thats great news about your dog.

I try to pray regularly since its a pretty fundamental part of my faith.

But yeah, you tend to pray extra hard when your back is against the wall.

From a faith perspective, it probably isn't a good thing that I follow the latter pattern huh?

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By JCTango

@Barrock said:

^-- Agree 100%. No matter whatever people say about religion, any religion.. it does comfort some people at their most dire situations (btw what seems dire to some may not be dire for others - it's all relative). Don't worry about the people who bash ya - sometimes you do whatever you can to feel better, or hope for the best.

@JasonR86: like you said, it's about regaining control over something you may not have any control over, which does bring comfort.

I don't do it a lot personally, but sometimes when things go really bad, or something really bad happened and there isn't anything I can really do about it, I hope really hard in my head, if you can call that praying. If that is praying, then I don't see why people should see that there is anything wrong/useless in doing so, because there isn't anything wrong with being hopeful, especially when there isn't anything you can do about a situation.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Being Orthodox Christian, yes, yes i do.
Waits for 100s of unfunny comments about how stupid it is to have faith.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's not unfunny; it's true.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Master_Funk

@JasonR86: Well, from a faith perspective, I guess not.

Though I used to do the same, until I came to appreciate my faith. Daily prayer keeps me calm and mentally strong now even in crappy situations.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By RandomHero666

There are always other options, but whatever floats your boat.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By jaqen_hghar

If it comforts you, then by all means pray as much as you like. It's when you start to veer into the territory of "no doctor, my daughter don't need medicine, all she needs are prayers" bullshit I start questioning your sanity. And sadly, a lot of people are like that. Not saying you are.

For me personally praying would do nothing. I do not believe in any god, and so it would be futile. Instead I just shoulder through it, try to think about how beautiful this random existence really is, and I look at the wonder that is nature. It do baffle me though, why people need to believe in an almighty deity to make sense of things, when that often hinders you to take a look at the world and marvel at it.

In fact, when I am down in the dumps (which I have been a lot recently due to the end of a four year relationship with the woman of my dreams) and I can see no other option, I think of the words of the wonderful Neil deGrasse Tyson:

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jetsetwillie

prayer is just like a placebo to me. deep down people know its nonsense and couldn't possibly have any worth, but it makes them feel better. which is nice.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JCTango

@Durandir said:

If it comforts you, then by all means pray as much as you like. It's when you start to veer into the territory of "no doctor, my daughter don't need medicine, all she needs are prayers" bullshit I start questioning your sanity. And sadly, a lot of people are like that. Not saying you are.

For me personally praying would do nothing. I do not believe in any god, and so it would be futile. Instead I just shoulder through it, try to think about how beautiful this random existence really is, and I look at the wonder that is nature. It do baffle me though, why people need to believe in an almighty deity to make sense of things, when that often hinders you to take a look at the world and marvel at it.

In fact, when I am down in the dumps (which I have been a lot recently due to the end of a four year relationship with the woman of my dreams) and I can see no other option, I think of the words of the wonderful Neil deGrasse Tyson:

"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."

That's a cool quote =). Reminds me somewhat of the pale blue dot:

I agree with what you wrote about the not-needing-medicine thing too.. really don't understand why some people do that.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oatz

No. Prayer is an incredibly stupid concept and at times one that is counter-productive. Two working hands will always do more than two million clasped in prayer.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Gerhabio

Just because you don't believe in a god(s) doesn't mean you can't respect others' beliefs.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JCTango

@oatz said:

No. Prayer is an incredibly stupid concept and at times one that is counter-productive. Two working hands will always do more than two million clasped in prayer.

While it makes more sense to get your hands dirty and get things done yourself, sometimes there are situations you'll find yourself in where you can't really change the outcome - at those times, all you can do is hope that things turn out for the better, and that's pretty much what prayer really is, in essence.. it's hope. That's why a lot of people in the world pray often (I don't, I probably should, I don't know...); they're hoping for the best as well as being thankful with what they have.

A world without hope would be a very sad world indeed.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Nope, there are always more options and praying for a god to help you instead of relying and the people around you and yourself is giving up and shaking responsibility because it's "in god's hands" from now.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JCTango

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Nope, there are always more options and praying for a god to help you instead of relying and the people around you and yourself is giving up and shaking responsibility because it's "in god's hands" from now.

I think that's probably why people have a hard time accepting the act of praying... it's too intertwined with the idea of whether or not a god exists. I don't see anything wrong with praying for something to turn out for the best, even if you don't believe in a deity or a higher power or whatever. You can still pray/be hopeful for things while getting things done if it's possible. Nothing wrong with being a practical optimist xD.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By OneManX

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Because it happens. What happens to people who have cancer, lose their homes, lose a love one, has a friend/family member go to war. there are things in life where you cant control what happens no matter how hard you try.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Slaker117

Na.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sogeman

nope

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@OneManX said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Because it happens. What happens to people who have cancer, lose their homes, lose a love one, has a friend/family member go to war. there are things in life where you cant control what happens no matter how hard you try.

I don't want to start a whole "wasn't it god who gave the cancer" argument because it is obviously trolling the more religious people, but I do think there is a difference between hope and faith. Hope makes you want a better tomorrow while with faith you are hoping someone else makes you a better tomorrow for you. I just think that whether god exist or not people should rely on each other to get through hard times.

I know it all sounds vague and not very convincing but it's hard to put those kind of things to words without sounding disrespectful to religious people and without starting a discussion of whether god exists which never ends well.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dunchad

I'm agnostic, so sure - I don't mind praying if the situation warrants it. I don't pray to any specific God though - it's just a "Hey, just in case anyone's out there - could you help me out?" kind of a prayer. I mean, maybe the Universe is conscious - it might hear me out just that one time and throw me a bone, right? Right?

Or something else might hear my prayer - I'll take any help I can get be it from a ghost, angel, demon, aliens or etc.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By tebbit

I've tried praying a few times in my life, just to give it a whirl (which i suspect isn't really the point), but if what I prayed for came true, it wasn't something miraculous, and when it didn't come true it seemed irrelevant.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vodun

@HandsomeDead said:

BREAKING NEWS! HandsomeDead belittles other user for their opinion. More at 11. Now; scientists find water still wet!

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ZimboDK

No. The Flying Spaghetti Monster provides for those who provide for themselves.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sjupp

When all else fails: Fap.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By geirr

No, I find other options.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Matfei90
@HandsomeDead said:
This, verbatim.
CyCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CyCaboose

I am not a religious man, far from it....

but to answer your question truthfully, would I pray when there are no more options - if my life depended on it and I'm in a certain death situation? Yes I would - I am not religious, I do not believe in religions and am pretty anti-religions, but I won't knock people for their faith (believing in a higher power)..... religions = bad, believing in some form of higher power = not as bad.

I cannot say there is no higher power up there, nobody can, for all I know it could be an alien or spaghetti monster so since I don't know, I wouldn't knock anyone for praying to a higher power.

But yeh in a situation where I am about to die, and there were no other options - I would pray to the unknown, it is the last resort and I think anyone who says they wouldn't is BS - I'm willing to bet there were plenty of atheists burried in the rubble of the twin towers who were praying to a higher power to be rescued.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Clonedzero

wow, look at all the hostile for no reason internet atheists trying to look hardcore. internet atheists are probably the most annoying people on the internet, just complete douches for no reason lol.

to answer the threads question, no i don't, i'm not religious at all. in bad situations i tend to get self destructive instead, way more fun.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I'd rather do something constructive. If shit hits the fan for me personally I either deal with it or wallow in sadness and then deal with it. If something happens in the world, I give money. I can't tell you how much people that pray and try to encourage others to pray for people in place X (say Japan) piss me off. Just give money and show sympathy, dammit.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I did, in a few tight spots...then nothing happened and now I got horrible trauma's...
Religion ain't my thing, I learned to believe in my own strength.

But I do understand what you're saying tho, good news about the dog.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Not me. I've literally been in a life or death situation and I didn't give in to the whole "no atheists in foxholes" thing.

I've always viewed difference between the religious and the truly non-religious as being simply whether a person can accept that shit just happens sometimes, with our best efforts as useless against the inevitability of it as our wailing and gnashing of teeth will be afterwards.

Many people cannot accept that feeling of helplessness, especially when tragedy strikes, and I certainly don't hold that against them.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Addfwyn

Yes, I was also raised in a relatively strong religious upbringing, though it didn't quite stick.

No, I never pray for anything no matter how desperate the situation might be. Most of the time, there is always SOMETHING I can be doing to try to make it better, whether or not it will be successful. At least attempting to fix the situation, even if I don't succeed, will be more worthwhile than praying for help.

In the cases where there is legitimately nothing I can do to help or solve the situation, then I can either ask another person for help or (depending on the situation) focus my efforts on something I CAN do something about.

Zenthere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Zenthere

Pray? Not really. But I have found that one good conversation with Mr. Johnny Walker helps out quite a bit.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Meowshi

Generally? No.

I did it for like the first time in like two years a few weeks ago.

Made me feel better.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Meowshi

This board suffers a lot from what I like to call, "incapable of ignoring assholes syndrome".

The only known cure is to stop being such a bitch.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@HandsomeDead said:

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By napalm

@HandsomeDead said:

My answer is: there's always other options.

But I quoted this, because I chuckled.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nekroskop

@Clonedzero said:

wow, look at all the hostile for no reason internet atheists trying to look hardcore. internet atheists are probably the most annoying people on the internet, just complete douches for no reason lol.

to answer the threads question, no i don't, i'm not religious at all. in bad situations i tend to get self destructive instead, way more fun.

What about ordinary atheists?

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blair

@HandsomeDead said:

He's too busy helping Justin Bieber win MTV Music Awards.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ugh, I love science so much. <3 <3 <3