Do you think there is life out there in the Universe besides us?

• 137 results
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By natetodamax

First of all, yes, I acknowledge that there have been threads in the past similar to this. However, nobody wants me to bump a year old thread, because that's dumb.

So anyway, do you believe that there is life out there in the Universe besides us? I definitely think so. NASA is discovering more and more planets all the time, so it seems highly improbable that planet Earth is the only one habitable. What do you think?

Also, something to think about:

These are all galaxies that contain billions of stars, and those billions of stars could have planets orbiting around them.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Might be. Might not be. I have no strong opinions either way to be honest. 

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Brundage

dude there's just so much shit out there, there has to be some form of life!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

I live on the Moon and am a highly different lifeform than you humans. Does that count?

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Yes there is.  If there was us then there are others.   There are billons of gallaxies filled with billons of stars surrounded by hundreds of planets.  

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@Video_Game_King said:
" I live on the Moon and am a highly different lifeform than you humans. Does that count? "
From a realistic standpoint, no.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@natetodamax said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" I live on the Moon and am a highly different lifeform than you humans. Does that count? "
From a realistic standpoint, no. "
That's the wrong answer. *drops nukes exactly on your head*
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By DanielJW

By probability, with all the trillions of planets out there, I would bet at least one other planet met the conditions to sustain life. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Seedofpower

I think yes just based apon the numbers. The amount of planets and solar systems and galaxy's we have seen so far, the odds that none of them have no kind of life at all just seems really really slim.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By cstrang
@DanielJW said:
" By probability, with all the trillions of planets out there, I would be at least one other planet met the conditions to sustain life.  "
This.
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Seedofpower said:
" I think yes just based apon the numbers. The amount of planets and solar systems and galaxy's we have seen so far, the odds that none of them have no kind of life at all just seems really really slim. "
this
ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZmillA

there are definitely organic lifeforms. How advanced they are, who knows.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. It's pretty silly to think we are the only ones out there. However, I don't think not one race of beings has the ability to travel several thousand lightyears to other worlds, and not for some considerable time either. The UFO is something that I'm yet to be convinced on. 

@natetodamax
said:

And If I'm not mistaken, wasn't that above image voted as THE most important photograph in history?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
@RhombusOfTerror said:
" However, I don't think not one race of beings has the ability to travel several thousand lightyears to other worlds
I agree. I don't think such a thing will be possible for humans for a very long time, if it even is possible.
Downandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Downandout
@RhombusOfTerror: Thats one of the hubble deep field images isn't it?
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

Itsss very probable.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Of course there's life somewhere else! They're watching us right now... As we work... As we socialize... Just watching, and planning, waiting for that moment to strike... They're in here now! Don't look at me! *Runs away*

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Pepsiman

As other people have pointed out, sheer numbers would allude to the probability of other life forms being out there just by virtue of logic. One of the main hurdles to actually finding life is being able to come up with a planetary detection method that can actually detect relatively small planets within a size range similar to our own, since there are some pretty specific conditions required for fostering life on a planet and size plays a pretty significant role in that. Out of the three main detection methods in use now, I believe the smallest planet that's been detected has been one that was twice the size of our own. There are a lot of reasons as to why we haven't found anything as "small" as our own, but it's definitely an issue that needs to be overcome before we can come up with any definitive answer as to whether there's life outside of our own solar system.

For the record, too, physics laws dictate that nothing can attain a velocity higher than the speed of light, so direct travel to most potential planets would be out of the question if we ever actually built something that could go that quickly. Of course, I suppose things could change if those laws turn out to not work so well under certain conditions, but I doubt that will turn out to be the case particularly soon.

quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By quezen

You know how many stars we know are out there? 

and thats what "WE KNOW ABOUT".

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MikkaQ
JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By JB16

The universe is too fucking big to have no life whatsoever. Do I belive that we'll find life in our lifetimes? No. But I do believe that it's out there.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GreggD

It's quite telling that thus far, no one has voted "no way". Guess which one I voted.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Nothing says Merry Christmas like a random ass thread.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunExplosions
@natetodamax said:

"These are all galaxies that contain millions of stars, and those millions of stars could all contain planets. "

Not to be a dick, but stars can't contain planets. I'm sure it was just a typo, though.

And I believe there are millions of other sources of life in the universe, and probably intelligent life, as well.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

Someone's gotta be responsible for all those anal probes.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArchScabby

Yeah I think so.

But I always thought it would be cool if say there were humans living on Mars, and they had the exact same technology as us.  So all we could do is look at each other through telescopes or satellites.  I think it would be funny.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, I doubt it. If the universe is as big and as old as they say it is, a master race would have conquered the universe a long time ago. We're probably alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I voted "absolutely" because there was no "probably" option.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Black_Rose
@TooWalrus said:
"  Nah, I doubt it. If the universe is as big and as old as they say it is, a master race would have conquered the universe a long time ago. We're probably alone. "
They are probably wondering if there's any life besides them too. 
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Famov

I'll believe it when I see it, though it is certainly within the realm of possibility.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunExplosions
@TooWalrus said:

"  Nah, I doubt it. If the universe is as big and as old as they say it is, a master race would have conquered the universe a long time ago. We're probably alone. "

It would take like 4.5 years at the speed of light to reach the nearest star to Earth. And the whole Universe is about...just googled it... about 156 billion light years wide, and growing. So if there is a race doin' this, it may be awhile before we hear about it.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunExplosions
@Bellum said:
" I voted "absolutely" because there was no "probably" option. "
Me too.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilTwin
@FunExplosions said:
" @TooWalrus said:

It would take like 4.5 years at the speed of light to reach the nearest star to Earth. And the whole Universe is about...just googled it... about 156 billion light years wide, and growing. So if there is a race doin' this, it may be awhile before we hear about it. "
I guess that means, until some alien race says otherwise, humans have officially conquered the universe.  I'm calling it, humans are the master race.  Congratulations my fellow humans.
Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duder, Drake equation time (as per it's wikipedia post).  As you can see it's the timing that's the really tricky part, not the distance.  If Rage, Fallout, and games of that ilk are correct then the L value could be depressingly small.

N = R* x  f p x   ne  x  fℓ  x   fi   fc x L 

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible; 

and

R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

(edited for copy/paste failure)

quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By quezen
@EvilTwin said:
" @FunExplosions said:
" @TooWalrus said:

It would take like 4.5 years at the speed of light to reach the nearest star to Earth. And the whole Universe is about...just googled it... about 156 billion light years wide, and growing. So if there is a race doin' this, it may be awhile before we hear about it. "
I guess that means, until some alien race says otherwise, humans have officially conquered the universe.  I'm calling it, humans are the master race.  Congratulations my fellow humans. "
Here is the problem, there is 100's of billions of galaxies, and we live in "ONE". and havnt even explored it yet.
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crusnchill

We as a race were a random mistake of nature. I find it hard to believe with the amount of ugly people in the world that other races didn't spring up from random mistakes on other world's. lol. 

Seriously though, why the fuck not. I doubt I'll ever find out in my lifetime but I sure as hell hope so! 
Otherwise, what's the point of space between planets? Otherwise, if there isn't life out there we might as well have been a flat center of the universe just like the scientist's and religions of old said we were, before being disproven. 

For me though, I spit at the idea that there isn't. As it seem's too hollow to think such thing's, too boring and uninspiring for the human race to simply exist on the planet as the only form of life in the enitre world, galaxy, and universe. 

I don't believe in a higher being, I believe in science. And science estimates that there's more than 4000 species on earth. if this is the case. Why only on earth is this the case? Why wouldn't there be life elsewhere.

I have only answered questions with more questions. But they are good questions and we deserve to find out. 

Space... The final frontier. 
These are the voyages of the starship ente... 

You get the idea. lol. 
EDIT: For Quezen's benefit. If we include ALL sub-species. there's an estimated 10-50 million.
quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By quezen

Crushchill what are you saying mate?
4000 species on earth? the estimates are around perhaps 10-50 millions, we have discovered so far over 2 millions. How did you come up with 4000? anyway, with insects etc in the amazons there are a lot we havnt seen yet.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EvilTwin
@quezen said:
"Here is the problem, there is 100's of billions of galaxies, and we live in "ONE". and havnt even explored it yet. "
Doesn't matter.  I've already called it.  As Brad would tell you, calling it is the final word on anything.  Humans are the master race of the universe until an alien race proves superior.
crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crusnchill

@quezen: I meant the main amount. Not sub-species and not sub-species of sub-species  and not even sub-species of sub-species of sub-species of sub-species lol... Which is where it start's to get complicated and ever expansive lol. 

ie: a group of cuttle-fish have developed a new small fin that dosn't really do anything. but it still counts as a new species/sub-species.  
Do you understand what I mean?

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oriental_Jams

It's perfectly possible given the size of the universe, but given the size of the universe it also appears incredibly unlikely that we'll contact anything for a good long while.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By AlexB

Was having this convo with my friend yesterday. Something to think about: Space is infinite. We acknowledge that, but do we really grasp that? We look at our world as this encased bubble with everything with a "back wall" so to speak. But space, space is infinite; there is no back wall. Simple concepts such as up, down, left, right do not even apply in space because it breaks the barrier of all things that are fathomable or possible. Why couldn't there be a star wars galaxy out there? There sure could be because space is infinite it could be so far away we just don't see it. Imagine other suns being so far away we can't even detect them. Sounds improbable, but it isn't impossible. 

The idea of  "aliens" existing is a touchy subject because we truly do not know what is possible. Lets say they are real, lets use the infinite-ness  of space as an example of why we never see them and are unsure. If an alien race existed in some VERY FAR AWAY distant galaxy they would have to have mastered space travel. Not only that, to be able to reach our planet they would have to have perfected "speed of light" travel. This could be a reason for wormholes and why we aren't able to see them moving. They are just moving too fast. As humans we are able to break the speed of sound and we can see a break in the atmosphere because of it. If aliens did exist they would be traveling MUCH faster than that breaking though to the speed of light which is not detectable to the naked eye. 

So my main drawn out point it whether or not that aliens are real or not, you can't deny the possibility of their existence due to our general lack of knowledge of the universe. The word universe in and of itself is a paradox because it is trying to encompass the entirety of space. As we know space is infinite so it actually negatively curbs our outlook on how space exists. Just something to think about.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Pie

All of you saying stuff like "billions of planets=life" I think you have to remember the perfect circumstances in which we were made, the probability of those circumstances being replicated or something close to them is incredibly improbable. 
Saying that however I did pick "absolutely" because DUDE! BILLIONS OF PLANETS=LIFE!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By AndrewB

I think humanity's grasp of what could be called a "life form" is too narrow. Have we ever looked for anything other than carbon-based life? The problem is, how do you contact a gaseous form, or whatever that other life may be?

I also think that if you don't believe that somewhere out in that seemingly endless void of space, with its countless planetary systems, planets, asteroids, or what have you, that there isn't other life forms, I'd think you pretty crazy. What are the odds that somehow, this one planet is the only one that has developed life? And, if you want to go there, intelligent life?

I think it's fairly obvious that other life forms that are alike us enough to be recognizable must be very far away, since we have no record of alien life reaching us. I also think that it may be impossible, with the resources available on our planet, to ever be able to reach outside of our solar system in any timely enough manner to expect to return home within an astronaut's lifetime. The best we could hope for is a massive ship capable of sustaining life for multiple generations to slowly work its way out there. The biggest limiting factor, in that regard, is the monetary system. There is just no feasible way for that to happen, given the costs of going into space. The only way it would ever happen is if the whole world collaborated on the project, and that will never happen.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crusnchill
@AndrewB:
unfortunately, as much as it anoy's me to know this, I'm inclined to agree with your last point. 
our limiting monetary system and our ever limited natural resources make it hard to believe in space travel with standard NASA space shuttles. But I'm happy to remember that Richard branston is funding a project that has helped create a space plane. Granted the fees for a ticket to ride on the first few flight's of these planes are going to be in excess of several million. Later flights £200,000 per person, etc, etc... 

I've excitededly read alot on this space plane project and it actually uses about the same amount of fuel in an entire year as a Boeing 747 uses in a month. :-) 
His group of smart and influential and/or incredibly rich people. (They've called the group; "The Elder group", cliche I know, but judging on who's in that group it's a title well deserved.) 
It's basicly a think tank and they all worked toward's improving the environments. Richard offered £25 million to person who manages to succeed in creating a fuel use process in which the fuel/performance ratio is swaped around. 
They've succeeded... Greatly. 

And I think, to quote a certain someone, this is a massive "Step for mankind" in the pursuit of space travel and improving our own enviroment. :-) 
ADTR_ZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ADTR_ZERO

Who cares?

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By crusnchill
@ADTR_ZERO:
Hey Guys!
That guy's shown up Again. 
You know the guy I'm talking about. He's that guy that say's something in a cool and fun conversation and all of a sudden everything goes quiet and awkard until he goes away. 
At which point everybody talks about him and laugh's about him. 

Don't be troll ADTR_ZERO, people just look like a tool's when  they do so. :-/
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By natetodamax
@ADTR_ZERO said:
"

Who cares?

"
Obviously you do since you clicked on the thread and felt compelled to type a response.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By natetodamax
@FunExplosions said:
" @natetodamax said:

"These are all galaxies that contain millions of stars, and those millions of stars could all contain planets. "

Not to be a dick, but stars can't contain planets. I'm sure it was just a typo, though.  And I believe there are millions of other sources of life in the universe, and probably intelligent life, as well. "
When I said that I meant planets orbiting around it. The sun is a star, so why can't other stars be like it?