Does anyone here use internet dating? Best site? Did it work?

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By frakasattack

I know that I'm not the greatest catch and that's the reason I'd like to try one out but I'm wondering if anyone here has had any luck.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Kyreo

I tried eHarmony a while back and it has YET to send me any matches.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By medacris

I think it'd actually be easier to meet someone online on a like-minded website/forum/online game as opposed to a dating site, but I prefer to know people really well before taking the chance of dating them.

I've seen mixed results with this, but I can't blame the medium, it all depends on the individuals involved.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frakasattack
@Kyreo said:

I tried eHarmony a while back and it has YET to send me any matches.

How long ago? That's kind of upsetting.
BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By BrockSampson

While I never have. My sister met her husband on match.com.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By lebkin

OkCupid is pretty good site from personal experience and that of friends. It's matching system is pretty impressive and gets better the more information you give it. Plus all the base services are free, so it's worth an attempt.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By skrutop

I set up a Yahoo personals profile and sent a few e-mails back and forth with potential matches, but I never made it to the dating phase with them. Fortunately, I met someone through mutual friends a couple weeks after setting up my profile; that was a LOT less stressful than trying a blind date with an Internet match.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By icytower38

My roommate joined Match.com two months ago, and he has had two separate matches. While the first match didn't last long, the second one has gotten rather serious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Online gaming. Back in the day PSO was a hot bed of people hooking up. I knew several people that have met partners from gaming. As for online dating I don’t know anyone but that doesn’t mean to say it doesn’t work.

Give it a go and be honest with your picture and profile, you never know!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger
frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frakasattack
@Kidavenger said:

http://www.datingdigitalpodcast.com/

They do reviews of online dating sites.

PoF and Okcupid are generally considered the best free sites.

I'd recommend reading this thread for profile advice, not sure if it's available to non members though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386777

Wow, I'll check out the podcast now. I'm a little shy of putting my picture (b ecause it seems like that would be a negative thing for me) but it's good to know there are reviews for sites like that. They can be so expensive!
sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By sixtyxcelph

I used OkCupid back in the day.  I joined to do those personality test things and meet some new friends, then ended up in a two-year relationship.  We've downgraded to roommates/best friends instead of dating, but it's still an invaluable friendship that ended in me moving to a new city and meeting a whole new group of friends.

So, I'd say OkCupid.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

@frakasattack said:

I know that I'm not the greatest catch and that's the reason I'd like to try one out but I'm wondering if anyone here has had any luck.

OKCupid.com is the best by far.

Completely free and really well made. I've been on a few paid sites, and it sucks unless you get replies from people. On a free site, it still sucks but at least you're not wasting money :)

Also, more new members join around now... But I guess you're proof of that XD But regardless, it's a good time to join :)

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic

I wouldn't trust dating sites. Anybody can easily put false information down,and makeup an identity.

frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frakasattack
@SixtyXCelph said:
I used OkCupid back in the day.  I joined to do those personality test things and meet some new friends, then ended up in a two-year relationship.  We've downgraded to roommates/best friends instead of dating, but it's still an invaluable friendship that ended in me moving to a new city and meeting a whole new group of friends.  So, I'd say OkCupid.
Wow, you're roommates with your old girlfriend? Do you still sleep with her?
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I've never used one but I've heard great things from OKCupid. Been thinking about making a profile over there once the summer is over.

sixtyxcelph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By sixtyxcelph
@frakasattack: It's a recent development, so, we're still feeling out what we're comfortable with in terms of our friendship, haha.
ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ztiworoh

I used match.com and I'm married to someone I found on there, so yeah, it can work.

I mean, worst case you go on some dates and meet some new people.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I honestly prefer no dating to online dating- but then again, I'm not cripplingly lonely either, so I don't know.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Nate

I have one friend who met his wife on eHarmony, and my wife's friend did match.com quite a bit until she met her current husband.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jozzy

Reviewing dating sites seems like it could be an interesting job in theory :)

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1
@TooWalrus

I honestly prefer no dating to online dating- but then again, I'm not cripplingly lonely either, so I don't know.

What is wrong with online dating? I don't currently do it but I see no problem in it. It's just another way to meet people.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten

@RE_Player92 said:

@TooWalrus

What is wrong with online dating? I don't currently do it but I see no problem in it. It's just another way to meet people.

Me neither, I've seen people hooking up on a dating site and then taking it to real life and now they're happily(hah) married and have kids so it seems to work out great for them.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BoG

I've got a friend who had a 2/3 success rate on Craig's list. He's not with any of the women he met because he's a cynic, but he met some nice girls. The only one he doesn't consider a "success" was an ultra-hot elementary school teacher 8 years his senior, who was really only looking for action. So, try Craig's list. You may get raped, but being a man (assuming you're a man) means two things: 1. Your chances are very low; and 2. You'll probably enjoy that. 
So, giv e Craig's list a try!
frakasattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frakasattack
@BoG said:
I've got a friend who had a 2/3 success rate on Craig's list. He's not with any of the women he met because he's a cynic, but he met some nice girls. The only one he doesn't consider a "success" was an ultra-hot elementary school teacher 8 years his senior, who was really only looking for action. So, try Craig's list. You may get raped, but being a man (assuming you're a man) means two things: 1. Your chances are very low; and 2. You'll probably enjoy that. So, giv e Craig's list a try!
I definitely look in the personal ads on Craigslist because isometimes if you find the right pictures you can really get your motor running but it seems a bit dangerous. Does your friend regularly go to Craigslist for hookups?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus
@ZeForgotten

@RE_Player92 said:

@TooWalrus

Me neither, I've seen people hooking up on a dating site and then taking it to real life and now they're happily(hah) married and have kids so it seems to work out great for them.

Yeah... I don't know man, my mom met her 2nd husband on eHarmony, and he's... way into British high fantasy and his kids are really fuckin' weird and they don't have ANYTHING in common other than being super religious and I just don't care for it- bad personal expirence I guess.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27  Edited By Yanngc33

Never tried any of those sites but you know clubs are like real dating sites. Just dance yourself to a pretty lady, hope she's drunk and bam you've got yourself a lady

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By RobotHamster

Giantbomb.com

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Burzmali

Speed dating is a much better idea than an online dating site. Dan Ariely (behavioral economist at Duke) wrote this book called "The Upside of Irrationality" and two chapters are dedicated to irrationality in dating. Part of it contrasts online dating to speed dating, and makes it pretty clear that speed dating is better.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Example1013

OKCupid.com is the giant bomb dating website of choice. Just look around, and you can actually find some GB users there.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

"Hey, how'd you two lovebirds meet?
....Dating website...  "
Awkward silence

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By gingertastic_10

Only one that I know that might "work" is a local one in Indiana. My boss and his wife met on it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

I've been using varoius online dating sites/apps for about 2-3 years, and all its done is shown to me that I never want to see an online dating site/app again.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SSValis
@JustKamToo said:

Online gaming. Back in the day PSO was a hot bed of people hooking up. 

No Caption Provided
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37  Edited By RJay_64

I'm sure most of those sites work fine. On your profile, just emphasize your good points without lying, while only mentioning your bad points if the girl asks. It's like applying for a job.

I wonder if anyone has tried plentyoffish? That's another free one.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nemt

Have fun meeting an assortment of emotionally damaged girls.

fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fazzle
@nemt said:

Have fun meeting an assortment of emotionally damaged girls.

So it's like regular dating then?
Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Juicebox

I met the only 2 girls that i've had sex with on myspace lol sadly... and that was back when i was 14.

HotToddy74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HotToddy74
@frakasattack: I joined match.com and met my wife on there. We have been happily married for 4 years now.