F*cking Technology

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

Computer troubles aplenty, it all started when my mom got a new computer. Now, there's nothing wrong with that one -- got it from ibuypower; on it currently -- it's a beast. But my mom's old computer had a larger HDD than my current one, so I thought I'd swap it out seeing as that p.o.s. isn't in use anymore. So like my computer has many times in the past, once I open it, put in new parts, I get a mind-numbing amount of errors.

I got XP installed and had a good day or two with it, then when I go to take the old harddrive out (it was just sitting in a drive bay not connected to anything) now it refuses to start. At all. Won't even turn on. Going to do some fun case-swapping to see if it's the button that crapped out, since lots of lovely indicators on the motherboard itself light up as if there's ample power being supplied. Hassling with computers is always a nightmare, I left my dark nerd past a long time ago. Next computer: ibuypower.

edit: Top 30 (25-21) is TBA, since my big detailed list is on my computer that doesn't love me.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

Computer troubles aplenty, it all started when my mom got a new computer. Now, there's nothing wrong with that one -- got it from ibuypower; on it currently -- it's a beast. But my mom's old computer had a larger HDD than my current one, so I thought I'd swap it out seeing as that p.o.s. isn't in use anymore. So like my computer has many times in the past, once I open it, put in new parts, I get a mind-numbing amount of errors.

I got XP installed and had a good day or two with it, then when I go to take the old harddrive out (it was just sitting in a drive bay not connected to anything) now it refuses to start. At all. Won't even turn on. Going to do some fun case-swapping to see if it's the button that crapped out, since lots of lovely indicators on the motherboard itself light up as if there's ample power being supplied. Hassling with computers is always a nightmare, I left my dark nerd past a long time ago. Next computer: ibuypower.

edit: Top 30 (25-21) is TBA, since my big detailed list is on my computer that doesn't love me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I've had quite a few computer nightmares in my past.  The actual working can be fun, but when you want something to work, you just want it to work.  There was one occasion back in 2003 or so where I actually went 100% without any computer for a month because I didn't feel like putting it back together after having problems with a new video card I had just bought.

I have a friend who bought a computer from ibuypower a few years ago, and he had enough problems that he said he would never do it again.  His glass window on his case was shipped scratched, they gave him Windows XP on a disk that required him to install all sorts of other crap.  It wasn't a real Windows disk.  He had some other problems, but it's been a while.  I only build computers myself, but it keeps me from buying new ones because it's always more of a pain to put it together than it is fun.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima

No problems listed came with this computer, but even if it was scratched I wouldn't really care. I also used my own XP discs (I have three) to install XP, so that went according to plan. I was envying my mothers computer after she received it, since I could probably put it to better use with editing and whatnot -- and now it looks like I have no choice but to do just that. Sorry Ma!

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Alex_Murphy
lordofultima said:
" now it refuses to start. At all. Won't even turn on. Going to do some fun case-swapping to see if it's the button that crapped out, since lots of lovely indicators on the motherboard itself light up as if there's ample power being supplied."
Make sure you have the power button hooked up to the motherboard propperly and make sure it's snugly connected.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Oh believe me I'm way beyond that. I'm thinking half the board is fried. Just half, though. Odd.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Kazona

Well the more you fiddle with technology the bigger the chance it'll break. That's the risk unfortunately.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
lordofultima said:
"Oh believe me I'm way beyond that. I'm thinking half the board is fried. Just half, though. Odd."
Does your mobo have any other way of powering on, like a physical button on the motherboard itself?

edit : try shorting the power jumpers themselves?
luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By luthorcrow

Hhmmm.  So let me recap to see if got this right.

1.  New faster PC has a smaller HD than the older one not being used.
2. You decided to replace the current HD with the larger one from the old PC. 
3. You reformat and install Windows on this larger drive while leaving the older one disconnected but still in the drive bay.
4. After you remove the old drive problems start happening.

My first question is, why did you bother with making the new drive your primary drive?  Why not just bring it as a secondary data drive?   Save a lot of time and headache.

When you worked on the PC did you bother to antistatic wrist wrap?  If not what did you do to ground yourself before touching the internals?

Have you tried disconnecting the main power supply connector to the mobo, wait 30 seconds and then reconnect?  I have you tried clearing the CMOS and then booting?
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordofultima

I know how to work on PCs, this isn't the issue, you can handcuff me to a metal pipe in a freezer for all I care. The new computer has nothing to do with this, that is my moms and it works fine. My pc (est. 2004) had a smaller HDD than my moms old pc (est. 2002) since my hdd was inherited from an old dell (est. 1999).

The drive installation worked fine. I'm saying, that I literally took out the old hard drive that was already completely unplugged, from the chassy, and that the computer won't turn on at all now. This is the reason for this blog, because I'm astounded that my computer ceases to function after I removed a drive from a bay that had no contact with any parts whatsoever.

But I'll definitely have to mess with jumpers and CMOS tomorrow, thanks for throwing that out there. Today is just such a headache (for various other reasons) that I can't be bothered with it.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Optiow

Computers can be such a pain.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By justinnotjason

Sounds like you may have shorted the board. All it takes is alittle static. How far are you getting? Past P.O.S.T,? Get to BIOS?  Getting any beeping? Any lights on the board on?

And if you're convinced you didn't short the board, try putting the drive back in and see if it works. Honestly wouldn't be the craziest solution I've ever heard.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima

You never know. But yeah, computer doesn't turn on at all. The mobo lights up as if it works, with the error display and random red/green lights, but other than that, nadda.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By teh_destroyer

Something like that happened to me when I installed the Windows 7 beta.Everything worked fine for a day or 2 but suddenly my motherboard,video card,and my RAM crap out on me.So now I have to replace those parts and start everything up all over again.

Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Hdfisise
lordofultima said:
"You never know. But yeah, computer doesn't turn on at all. The mobo lights up as if it works, with the error display and random red/green lights, but other than that, nadda."

The lights probably aren't random. Consult your manual to see what they actually mean.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Wolverine

Yeah I hate when I have technical problems like that with computers. Good luck and try not to get depressed :(

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordofultima

I don't mean that they're random, I mean that my motherboard has a ton of lighting that is always on -- so I know that it's accepting power from the power supply. A couple of the controllers or pins have probably fucked up, which is very similar to the integrated USB ports that stopped working a year back after a power surge.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By crunchUK

haha owned. leave it to the pros

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lordofultima

Pros, yeah sure. Professional computer builders would be building me a NEW computer, not throwing in a 4 year old harddrive, douche.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RichardLOlson
Computers can be a pain in the ass....but you gotta know how to treat them right....kinda like having a 3-some with 2 really hot girls.  I got vista right now on my laptop and it works fine for me at the moment.
Hdfisise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Hdfisise
lordofultima said:
"I don't mean that they're random, I mean that my motherboard has a ton of lighting that is always on -- so I know that it's accepting power from the power supply. A couple of the controllers or pins have probably fucked up, which is very similar to the integrated USB ports that stopped working a year back after a power surge."

I'm gonna have to go with the whole static electricity idea of shorting something out then. Best of luck with fixing it though!