From Polygon Ban, to Giant Bomb Fan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You make me feel sad that I prefer the PS3.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Akyho

I was sitting here going "hebrew hammer...hebrew hammer...that sounds very familiar."

If this is Reality pales who almost won Tester season 3 and almost became an employee at Santa Monica studios (as a tester and as a production assistant...what ever that meant.)

Then yes he is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Sony fan.

Loading Video...

And if you wanted to know what the Tester was.... Tester in a nutshell explains everything and egoraptor.

Loading Video...

If this is the real Reality pales. Yo.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Man, so much Polygon hate in this topic...

• I expressed my frustration with Polygon and their seemingly blatant bias when it comes to PS3 exclusives like Ni no Kuni, for which they gave a 6.5/10
  • I asked if it was coincidental that Polygon receives money from Microsoft in the form of ad revenue, while scoring PS3 exclusives significantly lower than their average
  • I then posted a comment in a Puppeteer article written by Tracy Lien that read something along the lines of "Oh cool! PS3 exclusive? Can't wait to read the sub-6/10 review!"

Yeah, and both Ni No Kuni and The Last of Us were written by that monster Phil Kollar, who would never, ever score a PlayStation exclusive highly.

What's that? What do you mean Persona? Oh... Ohhhhhh. Crap.

Also, Kinect games are all Xbox 360 exclusives, right? Microsoft cares what people think about the Kinect, right? So if Polygon is on Microsoft's payroll, why are all those Kinect reviews scored so low?

People really need to stop easily believing in conspiracy theories in regard to game reviews. I imagine a deal would have to be pretty freakin' great for somebody to even consider taking a bribe, right? I mean, I'm not going to sacrifice my integrity for a few hundred or even a few thousand dollars. So with all this money changing hands with all these game websites, you'd think game journalists would be some of the richest people around. But I dare you to find me a game critic who is anywhere near "rich."

Full disclosure: I review games. I am not rich.

So far I've only played about an hour and a half of The Last of Us, so I'm going to play at least a little further before I decide whether or not I agree with Polygon's review. Seems only fair to me.

Allllll of that said, welcome to the site, dude. I don't say any of this to accuse you of being a horrible person -- just trying to put things in perspective.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LET US RISE UP MY BROTHERS AND STRIKE DOWN WITH BLOODY VENGEANCE AGAINST THE POLICE STATE KNOWN AS 'POLYGON'!

I mean...Hi, you won't get much love here for Polygon talk (good or bad) and/or conspiracy theories. Welcome to the site!

4outof5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please go to another website, we don't need any (more) console warriors here. You're just going to get upset when you eventually get banned here too. Maybe you should go open a blog or something.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#107  Edited By MildMolasses

This is the equivalent of a sex offender moving into the neighbourhood and going door to door to let us all know about it. It's a terrible first impression and we're all worried about what you are going to do

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Sorry dude, but I don't think this was the huge breach of your personal rights you think it was. You said you had a long history of trouble with the Polygon mods and that you repeatedly posted questionable content, then you started trying to stir up unfounded rumours of corruption on the site, and as you admit were rude about it. At this point they decided you should take a break from the site for a day or two. This really doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. It's not even you being stripped of your voice, it's them temporarily refusing to provide you with a free platform on which to publish your views.

None the less, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#109  Edited By Humanity

Oh are you one of those peoples that complains about a review for a game you haven't played?

It's almost like people complaining about a console they haven't played or praising a console they haven't even seen. The internet is full of mystery.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Polygon is like the Miami Heat of video games. A bunch of well known people thrown together to supposedly be the best at what they do. But I dunno, aside from The Besties podcast the whole site seems disjointed. I don't feel like there's a cohesive direction. But I don't blame them for moderating someone accusing them of moneyhats.

Anyway, I wish Phil Kollar was still at Game Informer. The Phil/Reiner bromance just came to such an abrupt end :(

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#111  Edited By scroll

Some times its nice to go outside for a walk. Try doing that.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By VoshiNova

I don't think you're going to find the support you think you'll find here.

but hi anyways

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: Man that is him! What a weirdo!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#114  Edited By monkeyking1969

I have the same rule across all websites, either the author supports their argument or they don't. I don't get into why and article appears in most cases, because the WHY doesn't matter along side "is it well argued" and "does the topic interest me, or conform to my point of view". Game media writers *probably* write a lot of badly written things for honest reasons, and write a lot of good things for dishonest reasons in some cases, but all you can judge is how they prove their point in writing.

The funny thing about integrity is when it is called into question if there are easy, clear, and honest ways to prove it than there is never an issue with it being called into question. If there is no easy, clear, and honest ways to prove it, than the author needs to ask him/her self why. The nice thing about Giant Bomb is they often explain why they didn't review something or cannot comment on something, just as often as they explain why they too steps to allow themselves to review something that is a fringe case. They discuss their thought process and are open about when they feel they are on the edge. Transparency is the best solution to most questions of integrity, and everyting else can be solved by self awareness of how thing look from the outside.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By EXTomar

Sites are not run in a democratic style. You access features because the site owner or maintainers allow you to have it. As a user you are obliged to follow their rules where screaming "this is censorship!" or "this is undemocratic" is completely irrelevant.

If you go to any site, even Giantbomb, with the attitude you had a Polygon I will not be surprised they ban you. I don't go to Polygon and I have no idea what the quality is let alone if they are "paid off by Microsoft" but that doesn't matter where if Polygon doesn't want you there then you are gone.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And he even ponied up for a yearly premium GB sub to boot, after joining just 2 days ago, as if giving money to GB really sticks it to Polygon. This is hilarious.

You should take a break from Internet.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@akyho: Wait...does this mean that he was literally on Sony's payroll?

He's biased, I say!

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Dude, Polygon reviewers are entitled to their own opinions. Everybody who disagrees with you isn't "on the take." And guess what? Even if they are, it still doesn't matter. They aren't the only ones reviewing games out there.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Polygon are notorious Xbots, the truth is out there.

Follow the money.

Chem trails.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By louiedog

@ramone said:

Polygon are notorious Xbots, the truth is out there.

Follow the money.

Chem trails.

It's no coincidence that every Polygon staff members lives in a town or city where the water is fluoridated.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I agree that it's easy to think that a PS3 exclusive review with IE ads on it is fishy, but it's really up to you to trust that the reviewer is doing his job in the first place. If you don't trust the reviews, why are the visiting the site?

Wait, Phil Kollar likes video games...?

@sargus said:

Man, so much Polygon hate in this topic...

@hebrewhammer said:

• I expressed my frustration with Polygon and their seemingly blatant bias when it comes to PS3 exclusives like Ni no Kuni, for which they gave a 6.5/10
  • I asked if it was coincidental that Polygon receives money from Microsoft in the form of ad revenue, while scoring PS3 exclusives significantly lower than their average
  • I then posted a comment in a Puppeteer article written by Tracy Lien that read something along the lines of "Oh cool! PS3 exclusive? Can't wait to read the sub-6/10 review!"

Yeah, and both Ni No Kuni and The Last of Us were written by that monster Phil Kollar, who would never, ever score a PlayStation exclusive highly.

What's that? What do you mean Persona? Oh... Ohhhhhh. Crap.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By wjb

@akyho: lol, awesome. Good find!

And to add on to what others said, Ni No Kuni wasn't that great.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This is going to end well.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to end well.

It can't end worse than it started.

joshs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By joshs

I look forward to a copy of this thread being posted on another site, after you get banned from here for the same dumb shit. Enjoy your stay.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@villainy said:

I'll never understand why someone would introduce themselves to a new community by immediately airing their dirty laundry...

Welcome to Giant Bomb I guess? Rule 1 through 1000: Don't be a dick.

pshyeah, as if anyone here ever follows that

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#128  Edited By MocBucket62

@bigjeffrey: Like when everyone got mad over Brad's review of DmC? Yeah I'm with you, everyone has there own opinion and it ain't our job to get angry over a single game review. For this case in The Last of Us, don't get angry that this game got a lower score than hoped on Polygon and be happy that its getting plenty of 9's and 10's elsewhere.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry dude, but I don't think this was the huge breach of your personal rights you think it was. You said you had a long history of trouble with the Polygon mods and that you repeatedly posted questionable content, then you started trying to stir up unfounded rumours of corruption on the site, and as you admit were rude about it. At this point they decided you should take a break from the site for a day or two. This really doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me. It's not even you being stripped of your voice, it's them temporarily refusing to provide you with a free platform on which to publish your views.

And how much is POLYGON paying you?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By GeekDown

You embody everything I hate about gaming on the internet. You deserved being banned.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet there is a whole lot of Illuminati symbolism hidden in the Polygon website

OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEP

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#133  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@mcghee said:

@gamer_152 said:

And how much is POLYGON paying you?

Not as much as Microsoft.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Nekroskop

I think GB's moderators and staff are extremely tolerant compared to other sites. I don't think you'll get banned here with opinions like that.

Welcome aboard, buddy!

The Polygon being in bed with MS also explains some of the hatred PS3 exclusives like 'Dragon's Crown' have gotten("I don't want people to see me playing that game on the bus".)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@commisar123 said:

The only thing I will say here is that the idea that a website is on a company's payroll is ridiculous.

Not true Microsoft gave Polygon 800k as part of their funding, Microsoft reviews since have been getting great reviews like Halo 4 getting a 9.5 where as PS3 games are getting lower than the average on metacritic, Last of Us got a 7.5 from them which I believe is the lowest score. Could just be coincidence though, only good thing about that site is the McElroy brothers.

Here's the thing the guy who reviewed Halo 4 (Arthur Gies) really likes Halo. He's not a big fanboy that gets all up in arms if the game gets criticized but I've heard stuff he has said on the Rebel FM podcast on how he enjoys those games particularly the mechanics and the sandbox nature of the single player, and he has expressed this views on the podcast waaaaaaay before he got hired at Polygon, or even IGN. Arthur even gave Fall of Cybertron a 9/10 if I can recall since he really liked the SP campaign. Also a game like Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor which was a X360 Kinect exclusive game got a 1/10 from them. This is like when Jeff gave Syndicate 5 stars, and Catherine 3 stars and I remember Patrick playing through that game and he would have scored it higher. Hey, I bet if Vinny was able to do a review of Sleeping Dogs he would gave that game 10 fucking stars. Different reviewers just really like and dislike particular games and I just don't think it's because a particular site got funding from a company who is also a platform holder that this would automatically constitute to them getting better scores.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Legion_

I don't know, criticism should be allowed, but I don't get why you would follow the site if you don't trust the reviewers. Personally I have a sorta strained relationship with Polygon. I like a lot of their people, like McWherter, but it's certainly strange that they took the money from Microsoft to make that documentary.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Maybe they just didn't like the game as much as others.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you were 'banned' for being a brand loyalist, good.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By GaspoweR

I think GB's moderators and staff are extremely tolerant compared to other sites. I don't think you'll get banned here with opinions like that.

Welcome aboard, buddy!

The Polygon being in bed with MS also explains some of the hatred PS3 exclusives like 'Dragon's Crown' have gotten("I don't want people to see me playing that game on the bus".)

Ah I think you're talking about the Kotaku article, sir...but I might be missing a joke here. I CAN'T TELL WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Nekroskop

@gaspower They mentioned it on their podcast. They are ex-Kotaku employees after all...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By TruthTellah

Come on, guys. In pointing out how much bullsh*t is in this conspiracy, we really don't need to throw Ni No Kuni under the bus. Some of us liked that game...

Though, I could understand some people not liking it and a reviewer even giving it a moderate score. To each their own!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew out of that shit. I was once livid that Jeff gave Tony Hawk's Project 8 a 6.5. THE EIGHTH TONY HAWK GAME GETTING A LOW SCORE MADE ME PISSED. Do you realize how dumb that sounds in retrospect?

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By medacris

@commisar123: Makes sense if they're the "Official [insert console here] Magazine/Website", but then again, if they only focus on one company, they wouldn't have an opportunity to rate any other companies' games any higher or lower than their favored companies' stuff.

Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that a lot of game reviewers have some kind of bias. Certain consoles, game mechanics, narrative tropes, art styles, genres, etc. can all rub a reviewer the wrong way. Most, if not all of us have the same fault. However, with us, that bias only translates into us not buying the game. With a reviewer, bias may potentially hurt sales.

Zeighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Zeighty

is this a joke

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

It really warms my heart to see everyone join together to shit on this guy. :)

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@gaspower They mentioned it on their podcast. They are ex-Kotaku employees after all...

I think there are more ex-Joystiq employees at Polygon than ex-Kotaku. And none of the ex-Kotaku guys are on The Besties (their podcast), so... I think you're mistaken?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't always follow topics.
But when I do, they're awesome like this one.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

This may just be me, but I've always been under the impression that at least 70% of the Giantbomb userbase was made up of people banned from other video game sites.

The other 30% is 4chan.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sargus I did not know that. The quote still stands though. It's from the episode titled "The Awkward Episode"