GB Relationship Hotline: Not the response I was expecting

• 100 results
BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Hey duders, I was on a date last night and the girl I was with said something that I'm not sure how I feel about. Actually, I know exactly how I feel about it, but I'm curious what you guys would do in this situation...

Her: *something about some conspiracy theory in a TV show*

Me: *some offhanded joke about chemtrails and lizardmen and whatnot*

Her: "Haha, yeah. I think some of that conspiracy theory stuff is interesting. I don't believe any of it, but it is interesting. I do believe 9/11 was an inside job, though. I saw a documentary about it and think the facts speak for themselves."

Me: "..."

What do you even say to that? To be frank, the fate wasn't going all that well up to that point anyways, but what would you do if that came out during an awesome first (or second or third) date?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My sister's ex boyfriend believed in that sort of nonsense too. Tried to argue with him a bit but it was pointless. He's still a cool dude though so don't let that be a deal breaker.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By EarlessShrimp

This is just like "I don't believe in homeopathy, buuuut I do believe crystals really do have healing powers"

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd make a comment about how you can't always take what those kinds of documentaries tell you at face value, and leave it at that. If I was really that concerned I would try to find out what exactly makes her think it was an inside job. Just because she thinks that doesn't mean she's automatically some off the wall conspiracy theorist. She might be an average person who saw a documentary. But, since you said the date wasn't going well its probably not worth the time anyway.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd make a comment about how you can't always take what those kinds of documentaries tell you at face value, and leave it at that. If I was really that concerned I would try to find out what exactly makes her think it was an inside job. Just because she thinks that doesn't mean she's automatically some off the wall conspiracy theorist. She might be an average person who saw a documentary. But, since you said the date wasn't going well its probably not worth the time anyway.

I agree with you about documentaries, they're almost always biased and always have an agenda or they wouldn't exist. My favourite is the recent BBC North Korea panorama that tried to talk up being fair and balanced and played sinister music over the North Korea footage.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hit it and quit it.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand your concern, there's a bunch of people like that. I think you should just ignore it for now, I mean if you think she is cool otherwise this is hardly a dealbreaker, its merely a conversation stopper. If other things go well then you can discuss the "facts" presented by the documentary and debunk it. I usually did this with my ex, not for conspiracy theories but misrepresented facts in newspapers. Generally you only need to do it once and they learn how to factcheck themselves, its an easy skill that some people just don't know but it should not affect anything. I would not even call her dumb she is just impressionable.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By artelinarose

This is just like "I don't believe in homeopathy, buuuut I do believe crystals really do have healing powers"

Only green ones do. Or those are poison damage, I don't remember. Best of luck!

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Drop the subject and move on.

If she keeps bringing it up unprompted (that's key) then you might have an issue.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By oraknabo

Most of the women I've dated believed at least one completely crazy thing. I'm not targeting just women on that. I know plenty of guys with dumb beliefs too, it's just that it's been a consistent thing in my relationships. I guess all I'm saying is you can like someone enough to ignore their stupid beliefs, but if you really don't like them from the start, the weird opinions will just annoy you that much more.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jimbo

I'll be your inside job any day, girrrrrrl.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alls I'ma say is if somebody is impressionable enough to be convinced that 9/11 was an inside job just because they saw a "documentary" like Loose Change, imagine all of the other things that you could talk them into.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everybody has flaws. As long as you don't get the feeling that this particular flaw is indicative of a deeper issue, then I wouldn't go off until I got to know her better. As for what do you say? Not much, really; things were already going poorly, so no need to pile on with an argument.

If things were going really well, then the good is outweighing the bad (and I'd set up to see her again), but still wouldn't start some shit about this on date two or three. With minimal prodding, you'll soon learn if she's a normal person who's easily swayed by what she sees on film, or a nut.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By MildMolasses

Maybe she was testing you?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd drop it, but take it as a warning sign. If she keeps bringing up really weird business...eh, maybe it's time to consider your options. But for now, roll with it.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jimbo said:

You have the correct answer, my friend.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kidable

Say "Well, anything is possible", see how it's not a fucking huge issue when it's a question of if two people are compatible for each other, live a long happy life with her or find out it's just you're not right for each other on a more fundamental level followed by the next girl.

Life, yo. Obstacles like these that distract us from the ever-looming window of mortality.

And what that other guy said "Hit it and Quit it"

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She sounds as if she would be easily susceptible to the force.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@jimbo said:

goddamnit, that was terrible.

and also hilarious.

as for the OP, get out of that shit ASAP.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I know for a fact what I would say to her because I know more people like that then I would like to admit. My patented answer is...

"Huh."

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just change the subject.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to start anything, really seriously please do not turn this into an argument I'm just stating a personal opinion, but honestly I have the same feeling towards people talking about religion and I'm in the minority there. To her and other people, it's absolutely logical and not crazy at all. Everyone has something I guess.

Hell, to some people NOT believing 9/11 was an inside job will make them think you're crazy.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JasonR86

@vortextk said:

I'm not trying to start anything, really seriously please do not turn this into an argument I'm just stating a personal opinion, but honestly I have the same feeling towards people talking about religion and I'm in the minority there. To her and other people, it's absolutely logical and not crazy at all. Everyone has something I guess.

Hell, to some people NOT believing 9/11 was an inside job will make them think you're crazy.

lol.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@vortextk said:

well you largely don't want to interact with those people anyway so...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@vortextk said:

well you largely don't want to interact with those people anyway so...

lol.

Two 'lol's in one thread! How many am I going to get before this thread is locked!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jimbo said:

Winner.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'd say something along the lines of, "well shit, I hope not, I'm about to put 4+ years of my life on the line thinking that it totally wasn't an inside job."

It'd probably be super awkward for her/him, but if he/she bounced back from it I'd probably put it up as a win over all for them. Un;ess it's like, a major part of their life.

That being said, I would be very concerned about someone so easily swayed by a documentary they 'saw once.' Those are usually the ones that buy into FOX's death panel bullshit or MSNBC's... whatever crazy liberals say (probably something less completely ridiculous and amusing, but still bullshit). And have less than awesome intelligence, which is kind of a dealbreaker to me. If they just buy into one little thing because they are a little weird, that's fine. But if their just vapidly taking it in because they got high for the first time and saw an "awesome" documentary and then kind of never thought about it after that? Meh. I like my lovers to be clever.

Take that, people weirded out by the term "lover," muhahahahahahahahaha

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Did you touch her shoulder?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By psylah

Give her the dick.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Get out, bro. Get out while you can. Unless she's really cute, in which case give her the dick.

Then get out.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alternate

If she said she was christian would you also pull away because of that?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rebgav

@jasonr86: I thought it was a little aggressive and unusually crude. Me, I thought that. :p

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By musubi

@myketuna said:

@jimbo said:

You have the correct answer, my friend.

^ Winner.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By audiosnow

Opinions and beliefs are personal: it rarely hurts to keep them to ourself, and when asked specifically about them we don't have to give them.

In that situation, I'd do what I literally did the last time someone told me they believed 9/11 was a conspiracy. I said, "Hm," and deftly offered up another conversation topic.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She sounds as if she would be easily susceptible to the force.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By natedawg_kz

You say goodbye and move on.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By joshthebear

Touch her shoulder.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You know what must be done.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#43  Edited By StarvingGamer

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the documentary was Zeitgeist.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Akyho

I too have seen sevrel of these 9.11 programs. The evidence is compelling....if it was true...its not.

However duder...I have dated an evangelical christian wiccan for a year. In scotland...Evangelical teaching is rare as its a port from America....she went to church tuesday and thursday.

I also dated a girl who was Wiccan and then turned Jewish because she had a crush on Kyle from South park...then turned back to Wiccan. Again she was Scottish...not an ounce of jewish blood.

I am an Athiest science skeptic......just because of their weird beliefs were part of them. Didnt stop me loveing them and the time we spent.

Youd be so lucky if the one crazy thing she beleaved was 911 was an inside job...

First girl buying her gems and crystals were like buying her jewellry! so think about how happy she was when I baught her a necklace with amtheyst in it! Oh and she would write and sing her own songs about jesus...pretty weird hearing how much she loved jesus when I was her boyfriend.

Second girl told me my aura is blue..and her idea of a great gift to give me was an amtheyst heart! The joy I had to fake that day! and this is befor we got to the fact she used to cut herself.......

I think they had the wrong beleifs. They think I had the wrong one. However he still snuggled up and loved each other as people.

So yeah...if I let little things like that drive me away I would never have had any girlfriends or such fond memories.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By EVO

You're the crazy one. 9/11 was an inside job.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

@starvinggamer said:

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the documentary was Zeitgeist.

Yeah that's usually the one. Once I had a barber who was convinced I had to see it, that got awkward.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TruthTellah
supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By supamon

Hah! It's not that big of a deal, what if everything else about her aligned with you except for that? It's not like she believes the Earth was made in 7 days or that we're made up of some alien spiritual essence.... What?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Who care's what she says. I've had some girls say some pretty racist things and it didn't bother me.