• 86 results
Posted by Fobwashed (2081 posts) -

I just got the sudden urge to try some pixel art of the GB crew and this is what I came up with.

Original pixely size
Full On Giant Bomber Sizer

I think I'm happiest with the way brad and vinnie came out. Jeff was prolly the hardest to make somewhat recognizable while patrick maybe the easiest due to his fro. Ryan, was a bitch to make and I'm still not happy with, but the more I tinker, the worse it seems to get -_-;; I'm missing a few key folks but thems the breaks. Like with anything that has to do with making something, I could prolly tinker with this thing forever but touching it up here and there over the past few days whenever I felt the urge, I think it's gotten to a point where I can put it aside and consider it done =D Though, now that I have them sprites, maybe next time I feel like doing something stupid like this again, I'll use em and make some kind of like, pixel art fake cards or something =P

Here is the sort of the process I went through in putting this horrific pixelated mess together. Btw, don't click on anything that looks like a link. That's just me not being able to manhandle the damn blog picture entries to work the way I want them to =\

Started with Jeff and Ryan because why the hell not?
They're both looking pretty damn rough
For Patrick, immediately thought of that crazy ass video he's in. For the most part,
his rough was closest to the final.

next comes Vinnie. I'm missing feet on all these because all my references were from like, the waist up =\

Added Mr Shoemaker, who is also very close to final on first pass. Along the way, kept messing w/Jeff's face because something about it just didn't seem right.

Threw in the Logo + more minor tweaks

More details to the bg green screen.

Added some more background elements and began adjusting heights some after getting feedback.

Added the wall on the left, and further edits and minor details.

By the will of Claude the great!

Re-enactment of Patrick Tricky K's interview/audition as news editor of Giant Bomb
Crew in Jones as provided by Hamst3r
RIVAL VIDEOGAME WEBSITE as provided by MikeGosot
#1 Edited by Fobwashed (2081 posts) -

I just got the sudden urge to try some pixel art of the GB crew and this is what I came up with.

Original pixely size
Full On Giant Bomber Sizer

I think I'm happiest with the way brad and vinnie came out. Jeff was prolly the hardest to make somewhat recognizable while patrick maybe the easiest due to his fro. Ryan, was a bitch to make and I'm still not happy with, but the more I tinker, the worse it seems to get -_-;; I'm missing a few key folks but thems the breaks. Like with anything that has to do with making something, I could prolly tinker with this thing forever but touching it up here and there over the past few days whenever I felt the urge, I think it's gotten to a point where I can put it aside and consider it done =D Though, now that I have them sprites, maybe next time I feel like doing something stupid like this again, I'll use em and make some kind of like, pixel art fake cards or something =P

Here is the sort of the process I went through in putting this horrific pixelated mess together. Btw, don't click on anything that looks like a link. That's just me not being able to manhandle the damn blog picture entries to work the way I want them to =\

Started with Jeff and Ryan because why the hell not?
They're both looking pretty damn rough
For Patrick, immediately thought of that crazy ass video he's in. For the most part,
his rough was closest to the final.

next comes Vinnie. I'm missing feet on all these because all my references were from like, the waist up =\

Added Mr Shoemaker, who is also very close to final on first pass. Along the way, kept messing w/Jeff's face because something about it just didn't seem right.

Threw in the Logo + more minor tweaks

More details to the bg green screen.

Added some more background elements and began adjusting heights some after getting feedback.

Added the wall on the left, and further edits and minor details.

By the will of Claude the great!

Re-enactment of Patrick Tricky K's interview/audition as news editor of Giant Bomb
Crew in Jones as provided by Hamst3r
RIVAL VIDEOGAME WEBSITE as provided by MikeGosot
#2 Posted by mak_wikus (527 posts) -

Wow. WOW!

That is all.

#3 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

Great now it has to be an maniac mansion style adventure game.

But really, nice work.

#4 Posted by WilliamHenry (1204 posts) -

Rad. I've always wanted to create pixel art.

#5 Posted by Aas (603 posts) -

Brilliant. I feel like they should be player-characters in Jones.

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

Looks great.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11134 posts) -

Extremely well done, but I disapprove of going with Jeff's CCCP shirt. AMERICA.

#8 Posted by vegoku (98 posts) -

AWESOME...esp like the size of Vinny's biceps, GUNS!

#9 Posted by buzz_clik (6975 posts) -

Fucking RADNESS.

#10 Posted by themangalist (1737 posts) -

Very nice work. Old office ftw!

#11 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

This made my day.

#12 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

Great work! It's amazing the amount of detail that can be done with just a few pixels.

#13 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Really good work! If it's not too much trouble, could you post one in a iphone4 resolution? I'd love to use this for my wallpaper!

#14 Posted by forkboy (1154 posts) -

Man, that's really neat. Like it, especially Patrick's great pose.

#15 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

Ryan is still sweaty in faux 16 bit too. Maybe he'll cool off in 32 bitz. Poor fella

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Fanfuckingtastic

#17 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

Now if somebody could animate it to this song.

#18 Posted by BooDoug187 (350 posts) -

It's like the character select screen to a awesome Streets of Rage clone!

#19 Posted by OneAndOnlyBigE (439 posts) -

God bless this community

#20 Posted by Fobwashed (2081 posts) -

@TerraDelu: I could, but there's no real good way to fit it onto the screen. If I fit the width, there's way too much space left vertically -_-;; If you come up with a certain way you want it, I could prolly whip it up for u no problem but looking at it now, it just doesn't seem to make a good fit -_-;;

If that's how you want it tho, here it is, knock yourself out =P

#21 Posted by Faltru (113 posts) -

Now we just need to bring Sierra back so they can make a GB adventure game.

#22 Edited by Korwin (2870 posts) -

I feel like I should ask them about Loom.

#23 Posted by Zacagawea (1596 posts) -

Came together awesomely. Great work!

#24 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

great job. especially since you did it just for fun.

#25 Posted by Mento (2561 posts) -

Truly awesome. Thought about turning one or more of them into a talking animation? The art style reminds me a lot of the NPCs in Lands of Lore for some reason, but then I only did just recently play that.

#26 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

Good job dude. looks awesomely :)

#27 Posted by MisterMouse (3555 posts) -

I have to admit I enjoy patrick's the most, it is pretty awesome. Great job duder.

#28 Posted by Asger (200 posts) -

A new t-shirt design? :)

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Dude this is AWESOME! Love me some Pixel art!

#30 Posted by wumbo3000 (979 posts) -

I love it!

I have one question though: what kind of pose is Brad striking? Looks like hes telling everyone to chill out.

#31 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

That's ace.

#32 Posted by Mackinder (74 posts) -

That's awesome!

#33 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -

Amazing

#34 Posted by DrJota (700 posts) -

Hardcore Dave would be the best 16-bit foil to the,ahem....

"Super GB Bro Squad"!!!

#35 Posted by Patman99 (1593 posts) -

Well done, this is pretty damn cool.

#36 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (486 posts) -

Hey guys. Guess what, Sprits!! Right, right?

Excellent work dude. Now all you need to do is get a kickstart going and make Giantbomb the adventure game.

#37 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

@DrJota said:

"Super GB Bro Squad"!!!

I feel like, in true 16 bit fashion, HxC Dave would just be a palette swapped Vinny.

#38 Posted by selbie (1907 posts) -

I still don't understand why a 2D platformer hasn't been made for Giantbomb. So much fucking amazing talent here.

All the gameplay and ideas are already out there, it just has to be put together.

Just think about it. For their powerups they could transform into their alter-egos (ie Dubstep Ghost, Wizard, Space Egyptian etc). The cutscenes could be done FMV style. Luchadeer would be the leader of the squad (picture Zordon from Power Rangers :P ).

FFUUUUUUUU-

#39 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Stuff like this is what makes GiantBomb awesome.

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Awesome work! I actually really like the art for Jeff and Ryan.

#41 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Now where's the game part of this?

#42 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@Napalm said:

Now where's the game part of this?

The Double Fine Adventure Game. Maybe you've heard of it?

#43 Posted by AjayRaz (12431 posts) -

ahh i want a poster of this ><

#44 Posted by StarvingGamer (8284 posts) -

Bravo

#45 Posted by Evilsbane (4621 posts) -

Stunning, simply Stunning!

#46 Posted by csl316 (8770 posts) -

Vinny's gotta back off me a bit. He can't go around starting fights now that he's got a kid at home.

#47 Posted by Fobwashed (2081 posts) -

Thx everyone for the kind words =)

@Asger said:

A new t-shirt design? :)

The thought is nice, but I don't see how to deal with the borders other than it just looking like one of those photo printed onto a shirt looking things -_-;;

@wumbo3000 said:

I love it!

I have one question though: what kind of pose is Brad striking? Looks like hes telling everyone to chill out.

The hands didn't translate too well but he's doing a sort of explaining something type thing. I pulled the reference from one of his video reviews.

@DrJota said:

"Super GB Bro Squad"!!!

As much as I do love Dave, I considered him more straight up Whisky Media than Giant Bomb. Same with Alex but maybe now he's solidified as GB since he isn't split between it and Screened. Mostly though, I was just lazy and didn't want to try to figure out how to fit two more people onto the space I decided to work with (green screen). I've got them all drawn separately so I guess one day I may be able to revisit, throw em all some place new and add the missing members -_-;; I should be half thankful that this was after the split, otherwise I may have done something absolutely insane like tried to do Rory, Will, Norm and the rest of the insano WM gang.

@Ninja_Welshman said:

Hey guys. Guess what, Sprits!! Right, right? Excellent work dude. Now all you need to do is get a kickstart going and make Giantbomb the adventure game.

Maybe one day in the future, when what I'm working on now is far enough along that people would be willing to pre-order a copy, I'll visit the kickStarters -_-;; Though, if I ever get around to it, it's not going to be to fund finishing the game but rather to get some scratch together to hire some people for the assets I can't personally create (music mostly).

@selbie said:

I still don't understand why a 2D platformer hasn't been made for Giantbomb. So much fucking amazing talent here.

All the gameplay and ideas are already out there, it just has to be put together.

Just think about it. For their powerups they could transform into their alter-egos (ie Dubstep Ghost, Wizard, Space Egyptian etc). The cutscenes could be done FMV style. Luchadeer would be the leader of the squad (picture Zordon from Power Rangers :P ).

FFUUUUUUUU-

I used to think along the same lines as you about making a simple game but hoooooly crap is it much harder than it sounds -_-;; I mean, apart from reskinning something that exists (which is also a lot more work than you might think) creating a game from scratch, even with a middleware engine is ridonkulously difficult. Though, as far as making games go, that does sound about as simple and easy as it could get without adding too many game mechanics. If I weren't swamped with my day job, a bunch of life stuff and my personal project, I'd totally do it -_-;;

@AjayRaz said:

ahh i want a poster of this ><

That'd be kinda cool, but I'd feel like a douche for putting anything up that I made myself =P Also, if I were going to actually put this to any kind of physical printed media, I'd have to do some further editing lest I go insane seeing mistakes and shortcuts in a permanent non-changable form =\

#48 Posted by Kaowas (124 posts) -

Awesome stuff! Though, the Giantbomb crew would agree that the only reason Jeff and Ryan started off the roughest was due to them being purely rough dudes. Now that you've cleaned up the art, you may need to add some guns and sunglasses to balance our their roughness to your art cleanliness ratio.

#49 Posted by Fobwashed (2081 posts) -
Tricky's audition/interview for his position came at great cost. . . To Ken.
#50 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (467 posts) -

well done!