Good Movie Websites Anyone?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gatehouse

Hi duders, sorry if I'm repeating a thread but with Screened.com dying a slow and quiet death, I was wondering if anyone knew of a film site a bit like it.

I already get news from /Film, but am looking for something a bit more light hearted.

Can anyone help me in my hour of need?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By uniform

Never bothered with Screened as I've been using Rotten Tomatoes for close to 10 years now.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

Screened... Oh, right.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jking47

First instinct is to say "Screened dummy" but I can't now and it makes me sad =(

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SeanFoster

I like Dark Horizons and Badass Digest.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By A_Dog

I like Avclub.com, though they're not a dedicated film site.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mercutio123

Empire magazines website has always served me well

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Definitely Empire

Avatar image for deathmachine117
Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deathmachine117

Empire and Rotten Tomatoes for me occasionally i09 it posts trailers but that's more of a blog.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By SSully

I wish screened was still going strong. I still haven't found a site that offers the kind of content that it did.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mirado

Scree...

@Dagbiker said:

Screened... Oh, right.

@jking47 said:

First instinct is to say "Screened dummy" but I can't now and it makes me sad =(

D:

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@SSully said:

I wish screened was still going strong. I still haven't found a site that offers the kind of content that it did.

One of the few non pretentious movie sites that ever existed.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Xeirus

It's not the same a having a whole movie-based site, but The Escapist's Movie Bob is great. He does a few other features but escape to the movies is the only one I have time to watch on a regular basis.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By ThePickle

@Mirado said:

Scree...

@Dagbiker said:

Screened... Oh, right.

@jking47 said:

D:

Yuuuuuuuup. Site is a minefield of shitty writer and assholes defending shitty writing. Makes me sick.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thesquarepear
efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By efman

At this point, I just read the Movies section of the Nytimes and the AV Club. It's such a shame that Screened, following the buyout, never rised to the challenge of restoring its worth. There's so much there the community helped building, outside of the, now sporadic, content. Picking up from where those guys left off was never going to make things as they were, so I'm hoping they find their own groove as things get on track, if that is to happen. Maybe a facelift of the site's design, a rename -- anything that sets them apart, because the Screened brand, as we know it, is so reflective of its former self and a product of Alex and Rorie.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm

@ThePickle said:

@Mirado said:

Scree...

@Dagbiker said:

Screened... Oh, right.

@jking47 said:

D:

Yuuuuuuuup. Site is a minefield of shitty writer and assholes defending shitty writing. Makes me sick.

"Some guys told me to be to stop being a whiney crybaby. Now I go to another site to bitch about them!"

Seriously dude, get a life.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

IGN Movies

Believe it or not they have an amazing website and podcast. It's super light hearted and puts the emphasis on how enjoyable a film is. The only down side is that their community seems like it came straight from 4chan.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By VierasTalo

I use Listal for writing movie journals, lists and reviews. It's a large community with an awesome database and toolset, albeit there are far too many people interested in just posting skimpy underwear photos of models than having real discussions. Still, it's a fantastic site. Be sure to throw me a friend invite if you end up joining, so we can compare ratings and whatnot.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fetchfox
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23  Edited By fox01313

Tend to stick with smaller more specific sites like Arrow in the Head, Rue Morgue Magazine or Bloody Disgusting as the last thing I want when looking at horror/sci-fi movie reviews to have it along other general movies. Screened was also good at the start as with these sites you got a better sense of the personality of the reviewer which made it easier for me to look at the review & get an idea if it's a movie I'd enjoy watching. The general movie review sites just tend to take the more idiotic approach to genre movies & often miss the point or what might make it entertaining to see.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gatehouse

Wow, you all really pulled through here, thanks.

@VierasTalo: I'll give that place a looksie, as a struggling part time writer myself (read 'Opinionated bloke who gets a website to publish his reviews') I might just take you up on your offer.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meaninoflife42

Spill.com is pretty good. It's the closest I can get to capturing some of what made Screened so great.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gatehouse

@mordukai: I say hello to Jason Isaacs too.

@meaninoflife42: I found that place too, their long ass audio reviews of films are great podcast fodder.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By ThePickle

@Napalm said:

@ThePickle said:

@Mirado said:

Scree...

@Dagbiker said:

Screened... Oh, right.

@jking47 said:

D:

"Some guys told me to be to stop being a whiney crybaby. Now I go to another site to bitch about them!"

Seriously dude, get a life.

I love it when people stalk others from site and to site and then say I should get a life just because I responded to a thread they also responded to. I still go to Screened because there are redeeming aspects to the community (obviously not you) but the writers and overall treatment of it since the BermanBraun takeover has been atrocious. Pointing that out does not make me a crybaby.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FengShuiGod

Matthew Rorie has a Tumblr wherein he occasionally posts easy to read and entertaining stories about movies, vidya games and such.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By napalm

@ThePickle: My original comment on Screened about you was meant to be taken seriously, but it was also meant for those ramming it home that BermanBraun hasn't gotten the content back to the level it should be, to take a break on that front. Unfortunately, it is a learning process and it will take some time for the quality content to start coming down the pipe, (provided the right people are in place).

However, my comment here was sort of in jest. At this point, I don't really feel like there's any reason to continue to complain about it. The users have made it abundantly clear, and it's all about the waiting game now. Personally, I always thought Screened was severely lacking in content and personality ever since Alex had moved to New York. I always felt Screened's true potential was never fully realized with Matt Rorie and Alex Navarro at the helm, and I blame that on the lack of proper support from "the people with money" and only having two people on staff. I like what they did, for the most part, but it was minimal content that could've appeared on some movie enthusiast's blog, (not pointing to the quality of the content, but more of the 'infrequent update' side of it). At the end of the day, while Screened's community is still great, we still expect the editorial staff to deliver. However, consistently ramming home on every article that, "you don't know what the fuck you're doing, and I'M FUCKING OUT OF HERE," doesn't really help anybody.

TL;DR: I see where you're coming from, but chill the fuck out.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jrinswand

There's this little website I use called IMDB. I don't know if you've heard of it, but it's pretty good.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DAFTPUNK

Filmdrunk

Knave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Knave

@Jrinswand: Seriously.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Dreamfall31

hypable.com is a pretty good site. It was started by a few of the Mugglenet creators and it covers pretty much all kinds of media. I always went there since Screened was a bit light on news, but now it is my only since Screened is dead. Screened was Rorie, and Rorie didn't like to post news much and kind of was limited on what he could cover as he was the only perosn. Hypable pretty much has it all!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@meaninoflife42 said:

Spill.com is pretty good.

I was gonna say that.

pandasteeler43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pandasteeler43

@Jrinswand said:

There's this little website I use called IMDB. I don't know if you've heard of it, but it's pretty good.

Yeah, because IMDB is very similar to screened....