Good Sci Fi Books

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By QuattroRS6

I want to order a few new books to read.  Any suggestions of some goood Sci Fi books.  I have read several Larry Niven books and really liked those.  Thanks people.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

I dont know if you like the games but Mass Effect Revelations and Mass Effect Ascension are two excellent Sci-fi books

Revelations take place before the first one and Acension takes place between Mass Effect 1 and 2

I recommend these books and the games, although you could read them without playing the games, hope I could help

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Meowayne

Did you just recommend game books?

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By QuattroRS6
@Venatio said:
"I dont know if you like the games but Mass Effect Revelations and Mass Effect Ascension are two excellent Sci-fi booksRevelations take place before the first one and Acension takes place between Mass Effect 1 and 2I recommend these books and the games, although you could read them without playing the games, hope I could help"

Read both and played the game.  The books really helped make the game even better if you read it first.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Venatio
@Meowayne said:
" Did you just recommend game books? "
Yes I did because I thought they were good. Have you read these two so you can give a fair judgement? No I dont think so so stop assuming that they suck
TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TimeWaffle

can't really go wrong with the Ender series

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Venatio
@QuattroRS6 said:
" @Venatio said:
"I dont know if you like the games but Mass Effect Revelations and Mass Effect Ascension are two excellent Sci-fi booksRevelations take place before the first one and Acension takes place between Mass Effect 1 and 2I recommend these books and the games, although you could read them without playing the games, hope I could help"
Read both and played the game.  The books really helped make the game even better if you read it first. "
Nice, I read both too, the first one before ME1 came out and recently Ascension, they were really good and gave great insight into the story of the game
RashDendar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RashDendar

Neuromancer is a good one also.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheFreeMan
@DrDemon said:
" can't really go wrong with the Ender series "
I only read the first one but I agree with this. Ender's Game is a great book.

I would also recommend the Halo books, if you're into that sort of thing. Pretty entertaining.
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Giantsquirrel

My favorite is the Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton (RIP).

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By maxszy

Ooo this could be a fun list to make! I could write a lot but a few. What type of SciFi do you really like? Space Opera? More gritty? Anyway, I'll put a few things down here:

• Anything by Richard K. Morgan. Especially his Takeshi Kovacs novels. (Altered Carbon, Broken Angles, Woken Furies.) Really, really recommend his stuff.
  • Shadow Warrior by Chris Bunch
  • Start the "Vatta's War" series by Elizabeth Moon. Starts with Marque and Reprisal.
  • Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon
  • Foundation, Second Foundation, Foundation and Empire all by Isaac Asimov. Asimov is a critical read and especially are his Foundation books. Among others.
  • Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler (More off the wall and may not be the type of Sci-Fi you want or are thinking of. Great book though.)
  • Hopefully you've already read Dune by Frank Herbert. But if not, hop to it! :)
  • As others have said, definitely read Ender and the related books. All of them are great.
  • If Star Wars books could interest you: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction is a great one by Drew Karpynshaw. (May be the wrong spelling of his name).

Alright, hopefully this list can help you out with some Science Fiction to read!
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds". 

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By singular

Olaf Stapledon "Star Maker" and "First and Last Men"

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ahab88

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Dune (as Maxszy mentioned) by Frank Herbert

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Ross

I'm gonna go with a game book as well with Eric Nylund's The Fall of Reach.   Yes it's a Halo book but if you don't like Halo the Ender's series is really good as well.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Black_Rose

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By torus

If you want so-called 'serious' science fiction, you should pick up anything by JG Ballard. That stuff really gets you thinking.

There's also A Canticle For Leibowitz, which is a pretty great post-nuclear-holocaust tripartite novel about a world that has been thrown back to the middle ages.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hairydutchman

Jurassic Park is SciFi.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By subject2change

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson; first Book I read that wasn't a school requirement from cover to cover in 23 years of life.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
@Subject2Change said:
" Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson "
Holy shit I just came in here to post this.

Also, Anathem by Neal Stephenson.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By subject2change

HAH WELL I WIN THEN!

Currently have Quicksilver on deck after I finish Battle Royale this week. Anthem is on my list as well but Barnes and Noble didn't have it last time in stock and I was too lazy to order it lol.

lok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lok1

Anything by Iain M Banks( not Iain Banks, that's his drama series pseudonym) He creates the most amazing worlds and story, and ill defy anyone to have read one of his books and not walk away with draw dropping experience. His best books are based on the culture. Seriously check them out :D

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#24  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
@Maxszy said:
"Ooo this could be a fun list to make! I could write a lot but a few. What type of SciFi do you really like? Space Opera? More gritty? Anyway, I'll put a few things down here:

Max, you just nailed every book I was going to recommend!  Holy crap, that's a great list.  Richard Morgan has become one of my all-time favorite authors after the Takeshi novels, and his other work is superb as well.

I'll add a few, but definitely check out Maxszy's list.  That's really solid!

- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Most anything by Kurt Vonnegut.  Start with Cat's Cradle and some of his short fiction.
- Day of the Tripods series - they're a little YA, but they're still great novels.
- My personal favorite sci-fi series is Tad Williams' Otherland.  If you enjoy fantasy, check out his other works as well, but Otherland is pretty much sci-fi through and through.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolverine

I hear the Halo and Star Wars books are pretty good.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Already been mentioned but would like to re-recommend
Neuromancer
The Dune series (as long as it was written by Frank Herbert and not his son)
SnowCrash
&
MindScan by Robert Sawyer
The Time Machine by HG Wells

Roboyto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Roboyto

good scifi books eh? well Ill take credit for Subject2Change recommending Snow Crash cause im pretty sure i recommended that one to him years ago. other good'uns include:
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - or, as others have stated, the entire Ender's series though Ender's Game is the best of the bunch
Dune by Frank Herbert
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Sphere and most stuff by Michael Crichton
The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks
and most stuff by Philip K. Dick

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gargantuan

Dune and Vatta's War are very good.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuattroRS6

I was looking at the Ender's Quartet Boxed Set.  I think i want to get that to start.  The other option is getting the Dune chronicles.  Since i am legally blind and read kinda slow now, which set do you all think is easier reading?  I know that can be a matter of opinion but you all have helped alot so far so I'm asking for a bit more help here.  Definately narrowed it down to those two boxed sets.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By QuattroRS6

And I have read all the Halo stuff and the Mass Effect stuff.  Ya sure they aren't as good as alot of the mentioned series but they were easy reads and they let me enjoy the games more by fleshing out the Universes.   Good book ties in with fun games you like are awesome if you ask me.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Any Jules Verne or H.G. Wells novel. 

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By DanielJW

I liked The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, but I read that a long time ago, so it's probably more for kids. I still think it's good though. Heres some info if your interested.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By atejas

Seconding Ender and Neuromancer
Also Roadside Picnic is decent.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By wrecks

Read more Larry Niven.

Not sure what you've read from him, but my favs are Legacy of Herot, Beowulf's Children, The Integral Trees & the Smoke Ring. I also second the Hyperion series. 

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By maxszy
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
" @Maxszy said:
"Ooo this could be a fun list to make! I could write a lot but a few. What type of SciFi do you really like? Space Opera? More gritty? Anyway, I'll put a few things down here:
Max, you just nailed every book I was going to recommend!  Holy crap, that's a great list.  Richard Morgan has become one of my all-time favorite authors after the Takeshi novels, and his other work is superb as well.I'll add a few, but definitely check out Maxszy's list.  That's really solid!- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- Most anything by Kurt Vonnegut.  Start with Cat's Cradle and some of his short fiction.- Day of the Tripods series - they're a little YA, but they're still great novels.- My personal favorite sci-fi series is Tad Williams' Otherland.  If you enjoy fantasy, check out his other works as well, but Otherland is pretty much sci-fi through and through. "
Wooo! Glad we are on the same page! :) Yeah, Richard K. Morgan has become one of my all-time favorites as well. Such a great author!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust
Harry Turtledove's WorldWar/Colonization series.  Turtledove writes a lot of alternate history sci-fi.  In the WorldWar series, during the early part of World War Two, the Earth is invaded by aliens bent on our enslavement.  As such, all the efforts of all nations who had been trying to kill each other are now working together to defeat the alien menace.  But, this doesn't mean that old, pre-invasion agendas have disappeared.  The aliens aren't just some blank force of aggression either, and a great deal of the story is told through their eyes.  The story involves people from across the globe experiencing the invasion and the war to free humanity.  Some people are soldiers, some are homefront support and others are refugees and prisoners.  The Colonization series continues with the new history after WorldWar concludes. 

Tad William's 4 part Otherland series.  Otherland is a story that is seems to be similar to the Matrix but without all the shallow crap that followed in the subsequent films.  Otherland describes the virtual world that exists for people where they can experience fantastic settings though direct interface.  The person entering the Otherland world feels as though they are actually there seeing, smelling, touching everything as if it was a real world.  The plot develops though when some people become stuck in this alternate world.  The heroine of the story is a South African woman living in Durban.  The love story is between a pair of teenagers who meet while playing a medieval world adventure.  There is also a "Syler" like villain as well as a much large oppressive scheme at play.  An important aspect of the story is the nature of facades and anonymity in the information age.  These 4 books are among the best I've read in a decade, and highly recommend them, but I should warn that they are not short books.  Each is over a 1000 pages.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nvmfst
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Bladerunner is based upon this).
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  • 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke
  • Everworld by K.A. Applegate.
  • Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuattroRS6
@Einherjan said:
"
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (Bladerunner is based upon this).
  • A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
  • 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke
  • Everworld by K.A. Applegate.
  • Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon
"

Philip KDick is awesome.  Most people have no idea how many movies are based on his books.  I really should read the books as I am going to go ut a limb and say they are much better then any of the movies based on them.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Osaladin

I kind of feel like reading Dune, but there are so many books, I don't know what the order is.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By QuattroRS6
@Osaladin:
Pretty sure if you look the books up you can see the original publish date.  I go by that alot when im not sure what order to read something or just to get some sort of idea of the proper order.   I'm sure someone has a proper list somewhere on the web as well.
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nvmfst
@QuattroRS6: I think you can say that for a lot of books that were later turned into films.
CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By CountRockula

I see someone already mentioned Asimov's Foundation series.  Consider that recommendation seconded.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@QuattroRS6 said:
" I want to order a few new books to read.  Any suggestions of some goood Sci Fi books.  I have read several Larry Niven books and really liked those.  Thanks people. "
Have you heard of Michael Crichton?
He wrote the Jurassic Park books(the ones the movie was based on).
The books are much better. I recommend all of his work, but here are my favorites:
Congo
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
and
Sphere
Those links lead to amazon, but you can find those books at any Half Price Books.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@DanielJW said:
" I liked The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, but I read that a long time ago, so it's probably more for kids. I still think it's good though. Heres some info if your interested. "
That was an EXCELLENT book.
ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By ElectricHaggis

Anything by Douglas Adams.  Or maybe Flowers for Algernon.