Got files on my computer that refuse to be deleted

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

Halp me! I use a third party program called SharePod to organize my music because iTunes is garbage. A few minutes ago I dragged some songs out of SharePod onto my desktop to put into iTunes, but there's a problem. I can't drag them anywhere. I tried putting them in the Recycle Bin, but literally nothing happens. I tried dragging them into the folder I keep all my music in but it says it can't find the file and my only options are to try again and cancel. I think this happened to me before but I forgot how I deleted them. Help!    

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ComradeKritstov
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Alright, I restarted my computer and the files disappeared. This can be locked/deleted now.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Xeiphyer
@natetodamax: Its also worth knowing that sometimes files cant be moved,changed, or deleted if they are being used by a program. So if your music program is using the songs, you would have to close it before you can change them.

Sometimes programs will continue to use a file even though you think its turned off, If you ever think thats the case, try pressing ctrl+alt+delete and running task manager and seeing if the program is still running in the processes tab. If it is, you can just kill it there =P then change the files.

Anyways, glad to hear you got it sorted out anyways.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@Xeiphyer: Yeah I knew that, but the problem here was that I had all my programs closed. It just couldn't find the file for some reason and wouldn't let me move it anywhere.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

Try CCLeaner.  It works sometimes when others don't.   Also, take a look at Process Explorer and see if the files are being used by some other program.  I use the later from time to time to see what other programs might be screwing my downloads.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Jeust

Try exiting the explorer by the windows manager and deleting them with the command window.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By natetodamax
@Jeust said:
" Try exiting the explorer by the windows manager and deleting them with the command window. "
I have already resolved the issue, but thanks anyway!
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust
@natetodamax said:
" @Jeust said:
" Try exiting the explorer by the windows manager and deleting them with the command window. "
I have already resolved the issue, but thanks anyway! "
No problem.