Posted by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

Hi everybody!

I haven’t been writing a blog in several months and now I am back!

(I hope that you are as happy for that, as I am –else, feel free to read my old blogs and make up your own mind).

Well, here we go:

I like horror movies. Actually I like them so much that everyone I know has started not taking my advice when recommending a movie; “oh, he’s just gonna pick something dark and scary” – and yes, I will, because I love that shit. Getting my adrenalin all up and my senses at peak.

I have watched a ton of thrilling and creepy movies, and I kind of feel, that I have reached the end of really good movies. Is there anyone left? I bet there is, but I have ended up watching about all mystery/suspence/horror/thriller movies listed on every single top 10 list I have been able to dig up on the internet. The same classics are listed at all of them, and I really need to find those rare gems out there:

That’s why I need you!

If I list a couple of movies that I love, maybe you guys could recommend me some awesome titles?

I like these:

That’s what I could come up with and I think it gives a pretty good idea of what I like. It needs to be creepy, psychological and disturbing. Too much gore, teenage slashing and humor doesn’t interest me.

Okay, I hope some of you guys will find the time to help me out and suggest some creepy and thrilling movie titles!

Thanks for reading, I love you all! (insert: Nosferatu smiley and a 360 headspin)

#1 Edited by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

Hi everybody!

I haven’t been writing a blog in several months and now I am back!

(I hope that you are as happy for that, as I am –else, feel free to read my old blogs and make up your own mind).

Well, here we go:

I like horror movies. Actually I like them so much that everyone I know has started not taking my advice when recommending a movie; “oh, he’s just gonna pick something dark and scary” – and yes, I will, because I love that shit. Getting my adrenalin all up and my senses at peak.

I have watched a ton of thrilling and creepy movies, and I kind of feel, that I have reached the end of really good movies. Is there anyone left? I bet there is, but I have ended up watching about all mystery/suspence/horror/thriller movies listed on every single top 10 list I have been able to dig up on the internet. The same classics are listed at all of them, and I really need to find those rare gems out there:

That’s why I need you!

If I list a couple of movies that I love, maybe you guys could recommend me some awesome titles?

I like these:

That’s what I could come up with and I think it gives a pretty good idea of what I like. It needs to be creepy, psychological and disturbing. Too much gore, teenage slashing and humor doesn’t interest me.

Okay, I hope some of you guys will find the time to help me out and suggest some creepy and thrilling movie titles!

Thanks for reading, I love you all! (insert: Nosferatu smiley and a 360 headspin)

#2 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

Before someone suggests The Descent, that movie was shit.

#3 Edited by xdaknightx69 (449 posts) -

this one

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/

#4 Posted by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

@oatz: Hi dude, thanks for the heads up - but i have already seen that one. I actually thought it was OK, but def. not excellent. to say it was shit, I think, is a little harsh.

@xdaknightx69: I come from Denmark, so obviously i've seen that one too :) - it's a really great movie, not brilliant, but I love the scenes in it and the whole message. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyone else?

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8128 posts) -

First off, let me state that I am not a fan of horror movies. This is because I am often at the mercy of my overactive imagination and watching these types of movies tends to make me feel acutely paranoid for weeks or months afterwards.

However, I inadvertently stumbled upon what I was surprised to learn was billed as a horror movie, Red State.

It definitely does not fall into standard mold for horror movies, but if what you're looking for is a movie that is creepy, psychological, and disturbing, then you could do worse than to catch this flick.

#6 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I can highly recommend Denizen.

#7 Posted by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: Thanks for your thoughts dude, - if you say it has those values, i'll gladly look into it - I will get back to you after watching it :)

@Grissefar: A monster movie? well, looks a bit comical, but i'm gonna check it out. seems like a movie ehich would fit perfectly with a jo*nt. I'll get back to you as well

#8 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@thomasriis1987 said:

@StarvingGamer: Thanks for your thoughts dude, - if you say it has those values, i'll gladly look into it - I will get back to you after watching it :)

@Grissefar: A monster movie? well, looks a bit comical, but i'm gonna check it out. seems like a movie ehich would fit perfectly with a jo*nt. I'll get back to you as well

Cool, if you can dig it up, you can also find some of it on last years Big Live with commentary by none other than Ryan Davis and Matt Rorie. Ha! Ha! Makes you wonder why they cut Ryan from this years Big Live movie segment, which subsequently sucked a giant dick - if you catch my drift.
#9 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Swamp Shark, go!

#10 Posted by thomasriis1987 (130 posts) -

@Hizang: Haha, this is the cover for swamp shark:

I think i need a confirmation that this movie is great. Looks really fun in a B movie, style - but maybe a bit too silly?

I need, some chilling stuff, not laughable :) (i might see it though)

#11 Edited by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@thomasriis1987: Its a Syfy movie is that tells you anything, this movie is even on blu ray!

It also is 100% the plot of Jaws..

#12 Edited by xdaknightx69 (449 posts) -

@thomasriis1987: have u seen these?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591095/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454841/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464141/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1148204/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120889/ ( i wouldn't classify this as a horror movie but its a good film)

#13 Posted by Bloodlines (172 posts) -

Silent Night, Deadly Night should be right up your alley then.

#14 Posted by RubberBabyBuggyBumpers (714 posts) -

there's a fred figglehorn movie floating around somewhere. here's a short clip from his youtube channel. it's scary as hell!

#15 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6294 posts) -

The Strangers is an underappreciated horror flick, very unnerving and very creepy.

#16 Posted by dudeglove (7720 posts) -

@oatz said:

Before someone suggests The Descent, that movie was shit.

Up until it went all Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I thought it was actually quite good.

#17 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
#18 Posted by Roomrunner (810 posts) -

I Saw The Devil is on netflix instant. Recommended.

This is by the guy who did A Tale of Two Sisters, which isn't as dark, but one of my favorite horror movies ever.

#19 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

The Talent Mr. Ripley

#20 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

Let the Right One In or the American remake Let Me In.

#21 Posted by gamma_male (69 posts) -

If you can find it anywhere, I highly recommend Society. It starts out like a fairly typical late-80s, preppy, suburban US film (it even stars the head pretty-boy from Baywatch). Goes fucking bananas towards the end. It's difficult to find in the UK because, as far as I can tell, no-one went to see it. It may be different where you are so if you get the chance, give it a watch.

Audition is brilliant. Starts very slow but stick with it. It rewards patience.

Switchblade Romance is another good one too. I could go on but that should do for now. If you watch these, like them and want more, feel free to PM me.

#22 Posted by Samael2138 (232 posts) -

Psychological and disturbing, huh? Well, they might not be horror movies, but the Millennium Trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, etc..) are about as disturbing and psychological as they come. The Swedish versions are on Netflix. I highly recommend them!

#23 Edited by Jeust (10537 posts) -
  • Orphanage
  • Jacob's Ladder
#24 Edited by mordukai (7149 posts) -
  • Troll Hunter
  • The Devil's Backbone.
  • I Saw The Devil.
#25 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Silence of the Lambs

#26 Posted by gamefreak9 (2356 posts) -

OP can u list the titles of the films you posted, there's one i can't make out if i've seen or not.

I assume you've seen Night of the living dead(the black and white one), its pretty much the top zombie movie ever. Otherwise Evil Dead 2 was a fun watch. And of course if your looking to be traumatized by a film that doesn't reward you with your expectations, its "Funny games"... also i should mention that I never get scared but Funny Games made me buy an extra lock for my door.

#27 Edited by Rudyftw (554 posts) -
  • The Spanish film REC* or the American remake Quarantine (I prefer Quarantine) (5 Stars)
  • The Evil Dead (Cult Classic) (5 Stars)
  • 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks later (28 days is far scarier) (4 Stars)
  • Dawn Of the Dead (remake) (3 Stars)
  • Wrong Turn (many people hate this one, but I think it was really well done) (3 stars)
  • I Am Legend (4 Stars)
  • Dead Silence (3 Stars)
  • The Strangers (3 Stars)
  • Stakeland (4 Stars)
  • Mulberry Street (A low production American film, about people who turn into rat hybrids... ) (4 Stars)
  • Jacobs Ladder (4 Stars)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now... If you want to be scarred for life. (I recommend you wiki these before watching. What is seen cannot be unseen)

• The Human Centipede 2
  • A Serbian Film
#28 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

First off, let me state that I am not a fan of horror movies. This is because I am often at the mercy of my overactive imagination and watching these types of movies tends to make me feel acutely paranoid for weeks or months afterwards.

However, I inadvertently stumbled upon what I was surprised to learn was billed as a horror movie, Red State.

It definitely does not fall into standard mold for horror movies, but if what you're looking for is a movie that is creepy, psychological, and disturbing, then you could do worse than to catch this flick.

Red State was a pile of shit.

#29 Posted by TheRandomKo (240 posts) -

Watch Trucks... I know you own it.. ;)

#30 Posted by PenguinDust (12481 posts) -
#31 Posted by VierasTalo (726 posts) -

Any horror-fan needs to see Possession. I'd call it the best horror film I've seen in me 3000+ film watching history, but the original Halloween fuels my nostalgia to such extents I can't make such statements with honesty.

#32 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

Blue Velvet, 8mm, The Mothman Prophecies, The Fly, and someone here was recommending this movie Sauna, which looks pretty good as well. I hesitate to recommend these two, but I really liked Case 39 and Pitch Black a lot, so give those a shot if your interested as well.

#33 Posted by tekmojo (2300 posts) -

1408 is a great movie, at least for me.

#34 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Horror movies? Anything by Aaron Friedberg and Jason Seltzer, also throw in Uwe Boll.

#35 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Buy a gaming PC and play Amnesia the dark descent, it is known as one of the scariest fucking things ever made.

#36 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

Check out the French flick "Inside" Pretty awesome stuff there.