Heroes (Actual Scientific Discussion) Input

SlLENTCAPYBARA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SlLENTCAPYBARA

Ok, so I went back and revisited some old Heroes episodes, and watched the one where Claire is in her science class were the discussion of regeneration is going on. And I thought, what if this were possible? I thought back to my Biology class, where we talked about enzymes.
 -Basically, enzymes act as biological catalysts that speed reactions.-
So, I thought. Since some animals can regenerate, why can't human enzymes be genetically altered to have the same affect?
(I know this would most likely be impossible, and no doubt cruel and messing up morals. But hey, I like food for thought)
 Add your own opinions

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Gunner

sounds interesting, I wouldn't want to be a test subject for something like that though. I would have to change my name to stumpy.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

These exact ideas have been around for decades. Remember Lizardman from Spiderman?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Gunner
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"These exact ideas have been around for decades. Remember Lizardman from Spiderman?"
i remember asking my mom when i was 4 if this one amputee patents' arm was going to grow back... I didnt read comics.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"These exact ideas have been around for decades. Remember Lizardman from Spiderman?"
There was a documentary here in the UK some time ago where a group of scientists from a University went around the world to collect DNA samples from various species of Crocodiles so that they could see would it be possible to fuse reptilian DNA with human DNA. Because Crocodiles have one of, if not the strongest, natural immune systems in the world, they can have limbs ripped off and not get infections from the dirty and unclean water they swim in. They also can partially grow back limbs and generally heal or regenerate damage done to their bodies at an increased rate.

It was really interesting, especially when they showed you the crocodile who had a leg eaten off at the shoulder by his brother and a year later it had grown back a stump which it could move and use almost like a normal leg.

Would be really interesting to see what they could do with modern, or future, science and medicine to help combat debilitating diseases etc.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By adam_grif
SlLENTCAPYBARA said:
"Ok, so I went back and revisited some old Heroes episodes, and watched the one where Claire is in her science class were the discussion of regeneration is going on. And I thought, what if this were possible? I thought back to my Biology class, where we talked about enzymes.
 -Basically, enzymes act as biological catalysts that speed reactions.-
So, I thought. Since some animals can regenerate, why can't human enzymes be genetically altered to have the same affect?
(I know this would most likely be impossible, and no doubt cruel and messing up morals. But hey, I like food for thought)
 Add your own opinions
"

Bacterial cells are smaller than human cells, and take approximately 15 minutes to make a copy of themselves. Even if you modified a human for the purpose of being able to regrow limbs and the like, it would still be a very slow process, taking months or maybe years to completely regrow, and then, it would not be the same as it was before (you would have to build up the muscle again etc). Human enzymes are not the problem with regeneration, it's that there are no systems in place to facilitate the regrowth of human limbs. This will require extensive genetic modifications, the kind that you can't really perform on a living adult.

It's also very important to remember that you can't take the "regeneration gene" from a Crocodile and put it in a human, because there is no regeneration gene. Genetics is not lego. What you can do with DNA is chemistry, because DNA codes for chemicals. The trick is using this chemistry to regrow limbs and other body parts. The genes responsible for regeneration in a crocodile may have a completely unrelated effect on a human, and probably would, given the significant biological differences between them.

The speed with which they regrow is frankly obscene in HEROES, as is the whole "it's in the blood" angle they introduced in Season 2. It's strange that the cells can spontaneously regenerate without even stopping to burn fuel of any kind. Apparently it gets the energy from plot holes in the space-time continuum.
SlLENTCAPYBARA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlLENTCAPYBARA

^True. Cells require energy to produce more cells, so i see your point. But if DNA is the genetic makeup, couldnt it theoretically be possible for someone to pop in and switch a few genes and the way they send messages to the brain, thus further speeding up the process of healing? (I know the Heroes speed it unrealistic and just for entertainment) And of course, if you mix another animal's gene with human genes, it will not come out as if you just added what you want. There would be side-effects, and possibly nothing at all would occur.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By serbsta

Indeed it would be interesting if they COULD somehow do this, but i dont think it would be too healthy for society, maybe in the future when were having intergalactic wars. =]

SlLENTCAPYBARA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SlLENTCAPYBARA

^ Maybe. Its just a thought. The show sparks some good topics for discussion, and I like the fact that morals play a heavy role. Who knows what the future has in store...

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By adam_grif
SlLENTCAPYBARA said:
"^True. Cells require energy to produce more cells, so i see your point. But if DNA is the genetic makeup, couldnt it theoretically be possible for someone to pop in and switch a few genes and the way they send messages to the brain, thus further speeding up the process of healing? (I know the Heroes speed it unrealistic and just for entertainment) And of course, if you mix another animal's gene with human genes, it will not come out as if you just added what you want. There would be side-effects, and possibly nothing at all would occur."
No, because your brain isn't what is stopping you from regrowing limbs. It's to do with cell structure and the body's own repair system. Radical overhauls would likely be necessary.