• 52 results
#1 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

Just finished watching House of Cards on Netflix and jeez, that's a great show.

Thought that Kevin Spacey was amazing throughout, though if I'm being honest the only other actor that really impressed me was Corey Stoll who play congressman Russo.

Bit fearful for how they are going to keep this going. I'd be happy if this was an amazing 2 season show instead of a mediocre 6 or something.

Anyway, if you have liked recent offerings from HBO or other "thinking mans TV" (by that I simply mean not dumb, mindless TV) then it is definitely worth a look. Spacey is on top from throughout.

#2 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

MEHJ

#3 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

@pepperzz: Lol, solid input there but for real, it's worth a watch. Only mentioning because I've already seen some people dismiss it as Netflix just trying to enter the market. It's worth more than that.

#4 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Norm recently tweeted something about really liking that show. It was also mentioned on a recent Quick Look I think. Maybe I should check it out.

#5 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

I think I'll give this a watch this weekend. Nothing else to watch on Netflix. Hey oh!

#6 Posted by Mongoose (218 posts) -

Don't think you'll be disappointed. I only started watching on Tuesday and here I am, Thursday night, finished all 13 episodes...

#7 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

@Mongoose: Lol sorry, just felt that that pretty much summed up how I felt about it after watching the first episode. I get that a lot of people like the show, just not for me :)

#8 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I'm on episode 3 now. I enjoy it a lot. Especially love all the Apple shoutouts :) ("just 6 years ago it was just me and a MacBook"). Great show.

#9 Posted by CatsAkimbo (616 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

Especially love all the Apple shoutouts :) ("just 6 years ago it was just me and a MacBook").

this makes me never want to watch it

#10 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Never! ok.

#11 Posted by alternate (2694 posts) -

I don't have netflix, I am not subbing just for this. If they keep it exclusive (I don't see why they would not) then I guess I will have to do without.

#12 Posted by project343 (2816 posts) -

Fucking love it. First time I've 'loved' a show since the Tested crew pushed me into the Breaking Bad business for Season 3.

#13 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

I saw the pilot last night and I completely agree!

#14 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

It's pretty good.

Another show I would recommend is The Following, it's only 3 episodes in so far but looking pretty good.

#15 Posted by forkboy (1128 posts) -

I haven't had a chance to watch the new series yet. I'm looking forward to it though, especially after reading early reviews/opinions.

But can I recommend checking out the original series from the early 90s (after you have finished the first season of the US season of course)? From what I've read of the new series it's a lot more serious where as the original is slightly more far-fetched & silly, but not in a bad way. It's very enjoyable take on British politics in the shadow of the end of Margaret Thatcher's term in office, which was was kicked out by her own MPs. So the whole Machiavellian nature really fitted the time, & Ian Richardson is a delightful villain as the main character.

I also can't recommend the classic 80s sitcom Yes Minister (& the follow up Yes Prime Minister) about the ridiculous inertia of government.

#16 Posted by CornBREDX (5051 posts) -

Ya it's pretty good. 
Also, Kevin Spacey's character plays video games to relax. There is a really awkward product placement moment involving a PS Vita in one episode that comes off so weird

But ya, actually, the show is really good. It's fascinating to watch. Russo is a great character- I wont say anything else though in fear of spoilers. 

The following (mentioned a little above me) on the other hand, is awful.

#17 Posted by Vonocourt (2125 posts) -

Watched the first episode, seems pretty good so far, but the way it constantly seems to hang after each "snappy" line of dialogue is a bit much. There's been some great lines, but quite a few are a bit overwritten.

But yeah, I'll probably watch some more tonight.

#18 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -
@CatsAkimbo

@jdh5153 said:

Especially love all the Apple shoutouts :) ("just 6 years ago it was just me and a MacBook").

That and the whole PS Vita thing sound super dumb.
#19 Posted by JasonR86 (9652 posts) -

I'll try watching it. I'm a little put off by the marketing though. Especially the line that is essential 'Enjoyment will depend upon one's personal beliefs'. Or in other words 'We're edgy!". But I'll give it an honest shot sometime soon.

#20 Posted by project343 (2816 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

Watched the first episode, seems pretty good so far, but the way it constantly seems to hang after each "snappy" line of dialogue is a bit much. There's been some great lines, but quite a few are a bit overwritten.

But yeah, I'll probably watch some more tonight.

Oh, it's ridiculous and certainly not realistic, but I think that's exactly what it's going for. It's like watching a Super Saiyan Politician.

#21 Posted by AndyAce83 (118 posts) -

House of Cards is great.

#22 Edited by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

I've been enjoying it, 6 episodes in, i'm convinced that there's no way for Netflix to make money off this and therefore it must be some sort of communist plot to brainwash all of us.

#23 Posted by Dethfish (3638 posts) -

I have a hard time just watching one episode. I've stayed up much too late 2 nights this week watching it.

#24 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

I enjoyed it too, I would say some, 1 or 2 episodes seem to go nowhere but all and all great. The teacher strike one was espically great. I kind of wish they had wraped up more in the end maybe one more episode and that would have been great. I have no idea when the next season will happen.

#25 Posted by ch3burashka (5037 posts) -

Spacey is a sexy beast in that show. 1 episode in, loving it so far. I see great potential for future seasons, and for Netflix as a whole.

#26 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

this show is dope. thanks for the recommendation.

#27 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

Ya I just watched the first episode tonight and it is pretty good.

#28 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

I really want to watch it but I have so many games to play.

#29 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

I'm currently going through Justified season 2 on netflix, but I'll give it a look tomorrow.

#30 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm not a fan of political shows, but House of Cards is pretty damn good.

#31 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

Kevin Spacey's character is the devil.

#32 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4599 posts) -

@TheHT said:

I'm currently going through Justified season 2 on netflix, but I'll give it a look tomorrow.

oh shit, is justified on netflix? When did that happen?

In regards to OP, for double the fun you should watch 1 episode of House of Cards followed by 1 episode of The West Wing. Fun little cynicism/optimism two-parter.

#33 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@CatsAkimbo

@jdh5153 said:

It made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of the show. When I head them I made a face but it's still an amazing series. You're surrounded by advertising, don't chose these 2 to miss out on a great series.

#34 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

Yea, the product placement is everywhere in the show. Reporters use Macbooks, office workers use Windows, Spacey plays COD on a PS3. But it's a fantastic show. Currently on Ep. 10. Will probably finish the series this weekend.@BoFooQ said:

The teacher strike one was espically great.

God yes. That one was phenomenal. Easily the best episode I've watched so far.

#35 Posted by MikkaQ (10280 posts) -

I'm a huge fan of the original show and I thought as remakes go, it's pretty damn good except for the weird product placement stuff. It's surprisingly faithful, but has enough original stuff to be worth watching.

#36 Edited by Bocam (3706 posts) -

It seems like they have two more books to adapt. Question to people who watched the British version but are not British, were their politics easy to understand?

#37 Edited by JEC03 (898 posts) -

I was close to watching it I just get bored with political drama's but that being said I'm a fan of Spacey's and I hope this series does good for Netflix. I like that you can watch all the episodes any time you want and your not burden with a certain time like you are for tv shows.

#38 Posted by Carryboy (640 posts) -

@CornBREDX said:

Ya it's pretty good.
Also, Kevin Spacey's character plays video games to relax. There is a really awkward product placement moment involving a PS Vita in one episode that comes off so weird. But ya, actually, the show is really good. It's fascinating to watch. Russo is a great character- I wont say anything else though in fear of spoilers. The following (mentioned a little above me) on the other hand, is awful.

Yeh that was weird when he asked what games he had and the other guy said all of them I thought thats not that impressive as theres like 10 games.

#39 Posted by oraknabo (1457 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Yeah, I LOVE the original. I didn't even know there was a remake. I've seen the promotional images of spacey for it and hadn't even realized the connection.

I seriously recommend everyone on this thread watch the original. It's on Netflix streaming.

@HaltIamReptar said:

Kevin Spacey's character is the devil.

The original idea was Richard III.

#40 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

I finished quickly, it's pretty great.

#41 Posted by Marcsman (3177 posts) -

A pass for me

#42 Posted by Mister_V (1259 posts) -

Another thumbs up for this show, I have 2 episodes left and it's really great. Up there with Justified and Newsroom as one of my favorite shows. But yeah the Vita product placement was pretty silly.

#43 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@CatsAkimbo

@jdh5153 said:

But it's not really product placement. Everyone in the press industry already uses Macs (watch the documentary Inside The New York Times, almost every computer in every office is a Mac / MacBook / iPad...that's not product placement, it's just intelligent people being intelligent :P)

#44 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

Fine. I'll do it.

#45 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

I've been excited for House of Card, but I feel like I have to hold off now. I've been making my way through The West Wing and I think jumping into another politically themed show will tire me out.

#46 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

It's probably my favourite show of the past 2 years or so.

#47 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@TheHT said:

oh shit, is justified on netflix? When did that happen?

In regards to OP, for double the fun you should watch 1 episode of House of Cards followed by 1 episode of The West Wing. Fun little cynicism/optimism two-parter.

It's on the canadian Netflix at least. Only the first two seasons though.

#48 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@Mister_V said:

Another thumbs up for this show, I have 2 episodes left and it's really great. Up there with Justified and Newsroom as one of my favorite shows. But yeah the Vita product placement was pretty silly.

I would have been on board if Peter responded with "what games?" when Underwood asked what games the kid had for it.

#49 Edited by CornBREDX (5051 posts) -
@Carryboy: Well it was when he walks in to Russo's apartment. 

After Russo puts his kids to bed, Kevin Spacey turns and notices the Vita, "Oh, is this a PS Vita?" picks it up so its on camera. 
"Ya, ya. I got that for my kids. I have all the games for it" 
"Ya, I play video games to relax. I need ot get one of these for the car" 

It was like the director said "Ok, Kevin. You're a Master thespian so we gotta make this important scene work and we have to add this product placement. So I need you to sell it while upholding the product placement contract we have" 
"Oh, I dont know. This seems kind of forced." 
"Well he just put the kids to bed, we can make this work. We've already established you play video games so it's not out of nowhere" 
"Ya. I guess, but... this writing is so awkward" 
"You're Kevin Spacey. Make it work." 

It was just a weird moment haha
#50 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

Considering I don't have anything at all to do this weekend, I might as well check it out.