Honoring 9/11: Where were you...who do you know was affected..

• 86 results
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By giyanks22

Today is the day, that seven years ago, changed the world forever. Today is of Course September 11th, 2008. What do you remember from 7 years ago on this most fateful day. We were all much younger and naive, but on this day we all came together to face the threat of Terrorism. Boy we have come a long way...:

I was in second grade...We came in from our first recess, and the teacher just seemed very shaken up. I asked her "Mrs. Seely, is everything ok?...Did someone you know die?" She said, "Yes, if you look at it that way," The rest of the day had a shadow over it. One by one kid's parents came in to pick the kids up. A class of 25 had 6 kids left at the end of the day... My dad picked me up from school, and I asked him, "Something is wrong...what happened?" He told me everything. I asked how my relative's in NY were. He said they were all safe except my Cousin...she was in the World Trade Center that day..... she was on the 77th floor of the first tower...we knew it....by some miracle of God's Grace, she walked down 77 flights of stairs barefoot, and made it out five minutes before the tower blew up...She was physically fine aside from some cuts and bruises...

What is your story?:

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JakJ

I was a sophomore in high school, and all we did was watch it on TV the entire day. It was very sad and gut wrenching. I remember the entire day felt like a dream, like I was watching some crazy-ass movie or something, except it was REAL. Those were real people jumping out of the flaming towers, real people died when the towers collapsed. All in front of our eyes, all 'LIVE'.  It was also frightening, considering the amount of misinformation flying across the news networks (they reported a car bomb went off at the Capital, many more unaccounted for planes, among other things). I will never forget the phone 'interview' Fox News did with someone trapped in one of the towers above where the plane hit. When asked by the 'reporter' what was "goin' on up there," the staticy answer that came back was  "We're fucking dying up here!" They lost the connection shortly afterwards (for obvious reasons). I didn't go to sleep until 2am that night, when Peter Jennings signed off ABC. 

It was a horrible day, but ultimately I think we overreacted. We took away freedoms at home, invaded an innocent country based on government-manipulated fear, not to mention we broke with what USED to be a basic core value and started torturing people. Overall, I think 9/11 had a much more negative effect on our entire country than three buildings collapsing ever could. 

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin, Co-founder of America (and inventor of the bifocal!)
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By giyanks22
JakJ said:
"I was a sophomore in high school, and all we did was watch it on TV the entire day. It was very sad and gut wrenching. I remember the entire day felt like a dream, like I was watching some crazy-ass movie or something, except it was REAL. Those were real people jumping out of the flaming towers, real people died when the towers collapsed. All in front of our eyes, all 'LIVE'.  It was also frightening, considering the amount of misinformation flying across the news networks (they reported a car bomb went off at the Capital, many more unaccounted for planes, among other things). I will never forget the phone 'interview' Fox News did with someone trapped in one of the towers above where the plane hit. When asked by the 'reporter' what was "goin' on up there," the staticy answer that came back was  "We're fucking dying up here!" They lost the connection shortly afterwards (for obvious reasons). I didn't go to sleep until 2am that night, when Peter Jennings signed off ABC. 

It was a horrible day, but ultimately I think we overreacted. We took away freedoms at home, invaded an innocent country based on government-manipulated fear, not to mention we broke with what USED to be a basic core value and started torturing people. Overall, I think 9/11 had a much more negative effect on our entire country than three buildings collapsing ever could. 

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin, Co-founder of America (and inventor of the bifocal!)
"
I was in second grade and I didn't go to bed till midnight that night...It was so sad and depressing especially for a kid my age...
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
"I was in second grade and I didn't go to bed till midnight that night...It was so sad and depressing especially for a kid my age..."
So that would mean you're in 9th grade now?

Are your parents or other family by chance staunch republicans?
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JakJ
Vaxadrin said:
"giyanks22 said:
"I was in second grade and I didn't go to bed till midnight that night...It was so sad and depressing especially for a kid my age..."

Are your parents or other family by chance staunch republicans?"
XD
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Work let us off early.  I bought a dozen comic books before heading back to the house to read them.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jixashauser

I was 14 and had just come home from school (Sweden´s 6 hours ahead of NY-time) and my dad just told me to turn on the tv and there it was...it´s doesn´t seem like it´s really been 7 years.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vaxadrin
JakJ said:
"XD"
I'm not joking around, though.  It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if such were the case.  At that age, I don't really think anybody has the perspective to make any kind of outspoken political claims (and accompanying propaganda videos) that seem to be his driving purpose in the last few days.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JakJ
Vaxadrin said:
"JakJ said:
"XD"
I'm not joking around, though.  It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if such were the case.  At that age, I don't really think anybody has the perspective to make any kind of outspoken political claims (and accompanying propaganda videos) that seem to be his driving purpose in the last few days."
Oh I agree with you, I just found it funny.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vaxadrin

Oh ok.  :3

Monoxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Monoxide

I was 17, I woke up at 6:00am to get ready for class, and watched it happen live :(

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I was in basic training that day and we had to pull security around the barracks, switching out with other company's in our unit.   It was pretty intense, being so new to the Army.  We all knew that most all of us would be going to fight somewhere once they linked it all to terrorist's in the middle east.   Especially seeing as we were in the Infantry.  I lost contact with most of those guys (from basic training) but I know I went there during OIF 2.  I was on tower gaurd in Kosovo when American Marines first invaded Iraq :(

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#13  Edited By tearhead
giyanks22 said:
"Today is the day, that seven years ago, changed the world forever. Today is of Course September 11th, 2008. What do you remember from 7 years ago on this most fateful day. We were all much younger and naive, but on this day we all came together to face the threat of Terrorism. Boy we have come a long way...:

I was in second grade...We came in from our first recess, and the teacher just seemed very shaken up. I asked her "Mrs. Seely, is everything ok?...Did someone you know die?" She said, "Yes, if you look at it that way," The rest of the day had a shadow over it. One by one kid's parents came in to pick the kids up. A class of 25 had 6 kids left at the end of the day... My dad picked me up from school, and I asked him, "Something is wrong...what happened?" He told me everything. I asked how my relative's in NY were. He said they were all safe except my Cousin...she was in the World Trade Center that day..... she was on the 77th floor of the first tower...we knew it....by some miracle of God's Grace, she walked down 77 flights of stairs barefoot, and made it out five minutes before the tower blew up...She was physically fine aside from some cuts and bruises...

What is your story?:"
Ugh... C'mon guys. Don't do this again. We shoulden't honor the DAY it was a crappy day where terrorist did something horrible, we shoulden't dwell in what happened, we should honor the innocent people who died on that horrible day, the people who went in there to help and save hundreds of people. We should console the people that had loved one's who died. If we keep honoring the DAY that includes the attack and the terrorists. We don't honor Dr. King's assassination, we honor his life, we don't ask where people were when Pearl Harbor happened, we honor the people who died.
So let's not be like "where were you?" "where did you see it". Instead, can't we just come together and honor that father, mother, sister, husband etc. that died, honor the brave men and women who sacraficed themselves for others? And if there's anyone on GB who has lost a loved one that day and wants to talk about it let's console them. That's what I'd rather see this topic become.
Monoxide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Monoxide

I don't think this thread was started to honor the day, but (like Tearhead stated) to honor those who needlessly died that day.

It's also like asking, "Where were you when JFK was assassinated?".

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I remember that day... I actually stayed home sick from school that day. I didn't feel right.

Some people may think I'm crazy, but...... I actually believe it was an inside job. If a plane can hit the Empire State Building without much damage, then how did the Twin Towers fall... both one after the other? It didn't seem right.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By giyanks22
Vaxadrin said:
"giyanks22 said:

They're moderate republicans, not super right though. I am probably more right than my dad, but not my mom. My cousin's wife is so liberal though, you could call her a communist...she said we deserve 9/11 lol.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vaxadrin

It all makes sense now.

giyanks22
said:

"you could call her a communist..."
I could, but I won't, because that would be completely ignorant to what communism actually means.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By giyanks22
Vaxadrin said:
"JakJ said:
"XD"
I'm not joking around, though.  It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if such were the case.  At that age, I don't really think anybody has the perspective to make any kind of outspoken political claims (and accompanying propaganda videos) that seem to be his driving purpose in the last few days."
No...I've just been bored, because I have been really sick. I have puked like 8 times in the past two days. I have lost 10 lbs it really sucks. I just made those vids to kill time. Mercs 2 sucks, and I have pretty much beaten castle Crashers, so I did something to keep me occupied, and it actually turned out okay...(in some people's opinions)
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
"No...I've just been bored, because I have been really sick. I have puked like 8 times in the past two days. I have lost 10 lbs it really sucks. I just made those vids to kill time. Mercs 2 sucks, and I have pretty much beaten castle Crashers, so I did something to keep me occupied, and it actually turned out okay...(in some people's opinions)"
I was referring more to how you're extremely outspoken about politics despite having very little knowledge or context about the very things you're soapboxing about, and thinking that a purposefully selectively edited propaganda video provides some sort of informative benefit to the viewers.  Knowing your age suddenly clears that up.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By giyanks22
Vaxadrin said:
"giyanks22 said:
"No...I've just been bored, because I have been really sick. I have puked like 8 times in the past two days. I have lost 10 lbs it really sucks. I just made those vids to kill time. Mercs 2 sucks, and I have pretty much beaten castle Crashers, so I did something to keep me occupied, and it actually turned out okay...(in some people's opinions)"
I was referring more to how you're extremely outspoken about politics despite having very little knowledge or context about the very things you're soapboxing about, and thinking that a purposefully selectively edited propaganda video provides some sort of informative benefit to the viewers.  Knowing your age suddenly clears that up."
.what if I am lying to you, and I made this whole story up..but why would I tell you that , only because then you would think that, which would cause you thave...two girls...one cup...you know what to do! (wink) ....Sorry my typing got messed up...
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JakJ
TheJollyRajah said:
"I remember that day... I actually stayed home sick from school that day. I didn't feel right.

Some people may think I'm crazy, but...... I actually believe it was an inside job. If a plane can hit the Empire State Building without much damage, then how did the Twin Towers fall... both one after the other? It didn't seem right."
The plane that hit the Empire State building was a small fighter. The ones that hit the WTC were giant 757/767s loaded with a shit-ton (yes, that's a technical term) of jet fuel.
As for the falling towers one after the other - they were both hit by the same kind of planes, fairly close together. It makes sense they would do the same thing considering they share pretty much the exact same blueprints.

I don't really have an opinion either way, whatever happened happened. I still am a big fan of facts and logic though (as seen above lol).
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nude_Dude

Uh. picking my nose I guess. I then crumbled one of my boogies into a really big ball and then my friend called me and told me about the twin towers. And no, I'm not joking, I vividly remember that giant boogie >__>

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
Vaxadrin said:
"I was referring more to how you're extremely outspoken about politics despite having very little knowledge or context about the very things you're soapboxing about, and thinking that a purposefully selectively edited propaganda video provides some sort of informative benefit to the viewers.  Knowing your age suddenly clears that up."
"yes..i'm sure it does..."
It does.  It's very likely that phrases you use frequently like "so left you could call her a communist" are phrases you picked up from family, which are almost certainly phrases they've picked up from television talking points (as that's one of the more common ones throughout the media).  It's a deceptively simple system of conditioning through repetition, and evident in political speeches from all sides.  I hear it all the time at work, people quoting exact phrases from the news or speeches evenings prior without realizing they're doing it.

[edit] Why did you edit your post and replace it with something about two girls one cup?
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By giyanks22
JakJ said:
"TheJollyRajah said:
"I remember that day... I actually stayed home sick from school that day. I didn't feel right.

Some people may think I'm crazy, but...... I actually believe it was an inside job. If a plane can hit the Empire State Building without much damage, then how did the Twin Towers fall... both one after the other? It didn't seem right."
The plane that hit the Empire State building was a small fighter jet. The ones that hit the WTC were giant 757/767s loaded with a shit-ton (yes, that's a technical term) of jet fuel.
As for the falling towers one after the other - they were both hit by the same kind of planes, fairly close together. It makes sense they would do the same thing considering they share the pretty much exactly the same blueprints.

I don't really have an opinion either way, whatever happened happened. I still am a big fan of facts and logic though (as seen above lol).
"
lol. What would be the point of 9/11 being an inside job. If you mean that Terrorists but bombs at the base of the towers, than that's possible, but if you mean. Bush payed people to hijack planes and kill themselves than no..
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nude_Dude
sarkeen said:
"Oh my god, Every year I have to hear people whining about this over and over."
I bet you're not American.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nude_Dude
sarkeen said:
"Nude_Dude said:
"sarkeen said:
"Oh my god, Every year I have to hear people whining about this over and over."
I bet you're not American."
I am."
Then how can you be so cold on your own country? This day is marked as the mourning of thousands.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By giyanks22
Vaxadrin said:
"It all makes sense now.

giyanks22
said:
"you could call her a communist..."
I could, but I won't, because that would be completely ignorant to what communism actually means."
No she says that she would rather have a monarchy than Democracy, but believes that Communist Ideals are better for government, than Democracy...
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
"No she says that she would rather have a monarchy than Democracy, but believes that Communist Ideals are better for government, than Democracy..."
Could you humor me and explain what the fundamental tenets of communism are, and what separates them from other forms of government?
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaxadrin
Nude_Dude said:
"Then how can you be so cold on your own country? This day is marked as the mourning of thousands."
Far more people have died in the war we started in retaliation.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By giyanks22
sarkeen said:
"Because I'm not one of the thousands."
That is a really narrow minded view to have. I bet you would feel differently, if you had lost someone in the towers, or pentagon. I know so many people who were afflicted by this disaster. I already told you my cousin was on the 77th floor of one, but she made it out, and my best friend's dad was supposed to go on one of the planes for business, but his meeting got canceled.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JakJ
giyanks22 said:
lol. What would be the point of 9/11 being an inside job. 
Ever heard of a little thing called the USA PATRIOT Act, kid? If not I suggest you do some reading and educate yourself about all the extraordinary powers the government gave itself right after 9/11 under the guise of protecting us from terrorism.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nude_Dude
sarkeen said:
"Because I'm not one of the thousands."
It's your choice if you don't wanna give a shit,

but at least don't go around "uh, they're whining again". Just don't bother at allVaxadrin said:
"Nude_Dude said:
"Then how can you be so cold on your own country? This day is marked as the mourning of thousands."
Far more people have died in the war we started in retaliation."
You -not us. I'm Greek

And, not trying to prove myself a history genius, but not so many people were killed off at once in such a tragedy -in that war, at least.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By giyanks22
JakJ said:
"giyanks22 said:
lol. What would be the point of 9/11 being an inside job. 
Ever heard of a little thing called the USA PATRIOT Act, kid? If not I suggest you do some reading and educate yourself about all the extraordinary powers the government gave itself right after 9/11 under the guise of protecting us from terrorism."
I have watched probably seven different videos on this whole "Conspiracy theory", and I actually read a passage in a book where it talks about this theory also. I was saying if he meant Bush made it an inside job. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if an extreme leftist or rightist politician, who was fed up with america, payed these terrorists of to do this.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vaxadrin

Does it make a difference if it was at once or over the course of 6 years?  I would argue the latter is even worse, because while one is a terrible, swift act, the other is deliberate stubbornness on the part of the administration for several years.

Regardless, terrorist acts, genocide, turf wars...this stuff all occurs around the world every single day and nobody so much as bats an eye.  As soon as it's on American soil, though, it's devastating and I need bumper stickers for my SUV.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By giyanks22
giyanks22 said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"giyanks22 said:

They're moderate republicans, not super right though. I am probably more right than my dad, but not my mom. My cousin's wife is so liberal though, you could call her a communist...she said we deserve 9/11 lol."
BTW I'm in 10th I skipped a grade due to high standardized test scores..
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By Mushir

I don't quite remember. I was pretty young back then.

Although what I don't understand is why every year a topic like this is made. No one makes topics about where they were when Iran got bombed for the 100th time. Way more people have died in the middle eastern countries then people died in 9/11. Seriously though what happened then was sad but nobody seems to care about what happens on the other side of the world. And this seriously pisses me off.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
"BTW I'm in 10th I skipped a grade due to high standardized test scores.."
Not in PolySci, I hope.
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JakJ
giyanks22 said:
I have watched probably seven different videos on this whole "Conspiracy theory", and I actually read a passage in a book where it talks about this theory also. I was saying if he meant Bush made it an inside job. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if an extreme leftist or rightist politician, who was fed up with america, payed these terrorists of to do this."

Eh, maybe. Still, all the evidence points to a bunch of pissed of Muslums. Watching the civil war in Iraq left no doubt in my mind that those dudes (Middle Eastern Extremest Muslums, not Iraqis, who had nothing to do with 9/11) are crazy motherfuckers. Like CRAZY.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By giyanks22
Vaxadrin said:
"giyanks22 said:
"BTW I'm in 10th I skipped a grade due to high standardized test scores.."
Not in PolySci, I hope."
No I am taking AP Human Geography and World History...Political Sci is next year...
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Black_Rose

I remember i was 8 and i was switching channels, when i saw that i thought it was a movie. When i realized it wasn't i called pretty much every single member of my family to my room to see it. 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"Does it make a difference if it was at once or over the course of 6 years?  I would argue the latter is even worse, because while one is a terrible, swift act, the other is deliberate stubbornness.

Regardless, terrorist acts, genocide, turf wars...this stuff all occurs around the world every single day and nobody so much as bats an eye.  As soon as it's on American soil, though, it's devastating and I need bumper stickers for my SUV."
That's to be expected- you can't honestly expect(hope, yes. expect, no) people to care about people outside their countries. Whether they be 'towel heads', 'gaijin', or 'firangi', or something else I havent heard of, nationalism is part of a country's backbone.
Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nude_Dude
Vaxadrin said:
"Does it make a difference if it was at once or over the course of 6 years?  I would argue the latter is even worse, because while one is a terrible, swift act, the other is deliberate stubbornness on the part of the administration for several years.

Regardless, terrorist acts, genocide, turf wars...this stuff all occurs around the world every single day and nobody so much as bats an eye.  As soon as it's on American soil, though, it's devastating and I need bumper stickers for my SUV."
Well...clearly most people don't have your way of thinking and decide the first one is worse.

Not me, though. I'll agree with you on this, but 9/11 made a lot of fuss on the news, that's why it caught my attention.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vaxadrin
giyanks22 said:
"No I am taking AP Human Geography and World History...Political Sci is next year..."
Well then let's hope you learn what communism, lobbyists, & no-bid contracts actually are before you're out of school.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By giyanks22
Twilight said:
"I don't quite remember. I was pretty young back then.
Although what I don't understand is why every year a topic like this is made. No one makes topics about where they were when Iran got bombed for the 100th time. Way more people have died in the middle eastern countries then people died in 9/11. Seriously though what happened then was sad but nobody seems to care about what happens on the other side of the world. And this seriously pisses me off.
"
9/11 is one day..., and it changed everyone's feeling of security.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By crunchUK

i was in england and i forgot what time it was but i got woke up to see it on the TV and it was like oh shit and i really couldn't quite believe it

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JakJ
Vaxadrin said:
"Does it make a difference if it was at once or over the course of 6 years?  I would argue the latter is even worse, because while one is a terrible, swift act, the other is deliberate stubbornness on the part of the administration for several years.

Don't forget all those gay American flags you had sticking out of every window of said SUV!