• 172 results
#1 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

I am mainly asking here because... most if not all sites online that are about moving into places are always filled with IMMENSE bias. I thought I should ask here.

Let me just say this, Montana is shit... at best. This is the place where dreams go to die.

I want to live in a place with actual CULTURE and with more than 100K people. A city is something I would love to live in because... it would actually have something to do in it! Crime... the less the better.

Seriously, I just want a cheap, safe, but interesting place to live anymore. Montana can fuck itself with how terrible it is!

Edit: I refuse to move to New York or Texas... or Detroit... or Los Angeles... or anywhere in Californa.

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Will you leave the states?

#3 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Nope... I don't really want to live in another country. I only speak English anyway...

#4 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2576 posts) -

Move to Nunavut and forget the internet exists

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (34578 posts) -

For some reason, I have the strangest desire to Photoshop Kenshiro's face onto Peggy Hill. Instead, I'll just suggest Texas, for that very reason.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -
#7 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Oregon and North Dakota are super interesting.

#8 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

define culture....because that could mean anything.

#9 Posted by Landon (4115 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@laserbolts said:

Nope... I don't really want to live in another country. I only speak English anyway...

What better way to get more culture than live in a place that doesn't speak your language?

#10 Posted by Sargus (705 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Edit: I refuse to move to New York or Texas... or Detroit... or Los Angeles... or anywhere in Californa.

Why do you refuse to move to Texas? Austin sounds like it might be right up your alley based on your description (and I'm not even from there. I live in Dallas, personally). Cheap, full of personality, low on crime...

#11 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

I refuse to move to Detroit and I already live there. xD As for where you should move, it depends what kind of culture you want to surround yourself with. If you want techie and don't mind rain I'd recommend Seattle.

#12 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Do you like Amish people? Move to Lancaster PA :D

#13 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

Portland

#14 Posted by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Canada is pretty great.

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6058 posts) -

If you want to live in a place with actual culture either move away from the US or live in a place with a bunch of stuff about the tribes pre colonisation. The northern coasts for example.

#16 Posted by csl316 (7344 posts) -

Chicago's awesome. Good people and plenty to see.

#17 Posted by UncleClassy (405 posts) -

Move to Cincinnati. You'd love it there.

#18 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

You may want to consider what markets your skills are most employable in too. For example, I live in northern Nevada, and the industry around here is heavily logistics based, so it'd be easier to find a job with those skills compared to say, IT, which is a much smaller sector here.

That said, Minneapolis is a wonderful city that is the center of all things Scandinavian in the US. I believe they have a large Somali and Vietnamese population as well, and given that they have one of the foremost Russian art museums in the US, I'd assume that Russian culture is alive and well there too. It's a great place, and I've always enjoyed visiting it when I got and see my brother who lives up there.

Also, why not New York or California? The bay area and NYC are probably the two most cosmopolitan places in the world, although they are really expensive to live in.

#19 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

Cheap, safe, stuff to do. I'd say these are the three standards one can ask for, and the only place where they kind of come together is Austin, right? It's like the food policy of quality, price, and speed; you can only get two.

Most cheap places are boring or TOO EXCITING; most safe places are expensive or boring; most exciting places are expensive or TOO EXCITING.

#20 Posted by Vinny_Says (5630 posts) -

@Sargus said:

@Jay444111 said:

Why do you refuse to move to Texas? Austin sounds like it might be right up your alley based on your description (and I'm not even from there. I live in Dallas, personally). Cheap, full of personality, low on crime...

Get Chopped n Screwed in Houston. We all know how much you love codeine cough syrup Jay.....that's the only explanation for your threads on here.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@McGhee said:

I love how casually he just spits out that line.

#22 Edited by Venatio (4485 posts) -

I'm in Istanbul right now...it's pretty great

Visiting from some small town in Sweden, got some relatives here aswell, I recommend it!

Oh, don't wanna leave the US? Oh well, nevermind

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (7552 posts) -

Whelp I was going to tell you about all the cheap/safe/entertaining places in Cali to live but you seem uninterested.

#24 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

Apparently Minneapolis, Minnesota is one of the top places to live in the U.S., so I guess that's a place to start!

#25 Posted by Veektarius (4133 posts) -

Try Philly.

#26 Posted by Pezen (1465 posts) -

@Silvergun said:

I believe they have a large Somali and Vietnamese population as well

Just like in actual Scandinavia, that's crazy!

#27 Posted by akzo (64 posts) -

Have you thought about Wyoming?

#28 Edited by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

It's funny you say that because I envy that you live in Montana. I really have grown to hate living in a city- so ugly and to many people. But I do like that there is often things to do. When I livde in Virginia, I live din the mountains so there really wasn't many places to go unless I went to DC (which was fun on occasion). 

The grass is always greener, though, right? 

@Sargus: Ya, but... I live in Austin and there's a ton of homeless people- or Drifters- here. Almost every corner has someone begging. Probably like that everywhere, now, though, I dont know. I just know there is more here than anywhere else I have lived. Even more so then LA. It's getting kind of crazy.

#29 Posted by ThePickle (4149 posts) -

Trying to find a cheap, low crime, 100k+ city with culture will be tough. I recommend Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It's usually ranked as one of the most livable cities in the country.

#30 Posted by Fattony12000 (6350 posts) -

I hear the Moon is nice this time of year.

VIDOTGAEMKINGE?

#31 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Venatio said:

Visiting from some small town in Sweden, got some relatives here aswell, I recommend it!

Maybe Swedon... I hear it is quite cold there though.

@StarvingGamer said:

Whelp I was going to tell you about all the cheap/safe/entertaining places in Cali to live but you seem uninterested.

It depends really... I really don't want to get super involved in the hippie population and I do hate the politics there... (They are DUMB! Lets just be honest about this.)

@akzo said:

Wait... isn't that the Cheese state?

#32 Posted by EleFlameMax (386 posts) -

Gwet in the chopas.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

@Jay444111:

Everybody I know that's lived or visited Seattle has loved it. Legit city + cultural hub might be just what you're looking for.

I do hate the politics there... (They are DUMB! Lets just be honest about this.)

In my experience, politics are dumb everywhere. If you're able to just tune them out, you'll be a lot happier. No matter where you end up, getting the fuck out of Montana will be awesome. Good luck, duder.

#34 Posted by ThePickle (4149 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@akzo said:

That's Wisconsin. Wyoming is the square state.

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Jay444111: You should totally move to Swedon.

#36 Posted by Levio (1781 posts) -

#37 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Seattle is supposed to be pretty great. I've only visited once, but it is one of the top rated cities to live in the States.

#38 Posted by CatsAkimbo (583 posts) -

I'd say Denver. Climate is somewhat similar to Montana, people are generally friendly to give it the smaller-town feel, but the city is big enough to feel like a "real" big city. Large art and music scene, but virtually no game developers. We do have an arcade bar now though.

#39 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1853 posts) -

Anywhere with culture is going to be more expensive to live. You, can't have it both ways.

#40 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1295 posts) -

I live in Dallas and it's fine. It's cheap, and there are things to do. If you are young and need more excitement, go to Austin.

#41 Posted by Humanity (7938 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Oh well then why do you want to move to a city? Maybe try Boston I guess thats like a mini city.

#42 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -
@FourWude

Oregon and North Dakota are super interesting.

As a former resident of The NoDak, I refute this. It's boring as shit. People are nice as long as you hide any liberalism but it's fucking boring.
#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -
@Jay444111

@Venatio said:

Maybe Swedon... I hear it is quite cold there though.

@StarvingGamer said:

It depends really... I really don't want to get super involved in the hippie population and I do hate the politics there... (They are DUMB! Lets just be honest about this.)

@akzo said:

Learn how to spell Sweden ( and speak Swedish) before even considering Sweden.
#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

I should also mention, that even thought Montana sucks to live in. I will say that IF there is ever a zombie apocalypse. They will survive 100% fine... they probably would only see a small herd of them a month. Also due to being completely FULL of wheat. Yeah, we could totally survive up here.

#45 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

I am mainly asking here because... most if not all sites online that are about moving into places are always filled with IMMENSE bias. I thought I should ask here.

Let me just say this, Montana is shit... at best. This is the place where dreams go to die.

I want to live in a place with actual CULTURE and with more than 100K people. A city is something I would love to live in because... it would actually have something to do in it! Crime... the less the better.

Seriously, I just want a cheap, safe, but interesting place to live anymore. Montana can fuck itself with how terrible it is!

Why not Los Angeles, just curious? There is a lot of underrated beauty here and it's just awesome. The culture, the business (but breathing room, unlike New York), the people... Everyday I just love to soak up the environment. There are some pretty shitty places here, but in the center of the ugly is the most beautiful city in California.

But if you aren't into that, Las Vegas would be my advice. It's like LA and New York, only smaller and less ... complicated. The city and downtown is great and there are a lot of hidden stores, restaurants, art galleries, and gyms etc. The outside of the strip is where everything is at. All the good, less crowded stuff. It's also awesome to see all the different types of people from all over the world.

#46 Posted by wewantsthering (1459 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

If you completely rule out California, you're being stupidly close minded. Places like Westlake and Simi Valley are small, safe, nice, and close to anything you could want to do. You get the nice town, but are close to Hollywood, the beach, snow, etc. All within 45 min each direction.

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (4401 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Dude! NO!

#48 Posted by Samael2138 (217 posts) -

I would also suggest Austin, but you have no interest in Texas......

And, as a born and bred native Texan, I am obliged to say fuck you!

jk, but for real, Austin is a great city. Hope to move back down there myself before too long.

#49 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6936 posts) -
@TobbRobb

That's right you dirty Swedonians. JayJay is coming' to town!
#50 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@TobbRobb

That's right you dirty Swedonians. JayJay is coming' to town!

Yeah, come on Tobb! It would be fun...