I guess paying the BBC is good after all....

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

So I just went back to america to visit my family, and I watched the news and was amazed. I dont even see how it even biased as news, especially fox. It was just opinion shows on all the networks, no actual sit down and read the news style programmes. Oh and they took a commercial break every 5 minutes.  In fact the only reliable source of news Im getting at the moment is from the BBC on BBC world and BBC America.  

I always felt it kinda odd that we have a broadcaster funded by the state. That paying the 145 pounds is unfair. Sure the BBC makes excellent TV shows like Top Gear, but it didnt seem worth it. But looking at the quality of the TV on the BBC compared to the quality of the TV on say NBC or CBS with their annoying ads, crappy tv shows and biased news justified the fee for me. 

Also having childrens tv, without ads manipulating them to ask their parents to buy the latest toy, with them still being somewhat educated and entertained is great. I do feel the BBC needs to get smaller however, they have way too many channels and the savings could be passed on to us, but I realized the BBC is something we British should all be proud of. 

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

So I just went back to america to visit my family, and I watched the news and was amazed. I dont even see how it even biased as news, especially fox. It was just opinion shows on all the networks, no actual sit down and read the news style programmes. Oh and they took a commercial break every 5 minutes.  In fact the only reliable source of news Im getting at the moment is from the BBC on BBC world and BBC America.  

I always felt it kinda odd that we have a broadcaster funded by the state. That paying the 145 pounds is unfair. Sure the BBC makes excellent TV shows like Top Gear, but it didnt seem worth it. But looking at the quality of the TV on the BBC compared to the quality of the TV on say NBC or CBS with their annoying ads, crappy tv shows and biased news justified the fee for me. 

Also having childrens tv, without ads manipulating them to ask their parents to buy the latest toy, with them still being somewhat educated and entertained is great. I do feel the BBC needs to get smaller however, they have way too many channels and the savings could be passed on to us, but I realized the BBC is something we British should all be proud of. 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

The only thing I watch in BBC is Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt................

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

God I love the BBC, makes me wish I was born with a British Accent (Or Irish, or scottish, or welsh, or.... you get the idea.)

TopGear and Doctor Who FTW

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TomWhitbrook

I love the beeb, but I don't agree with the way it's funded. Should be folded into income tax, in my opinion. Save money on enforcement and spread the costs more equitably.

Whight_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Whight_Knight
@Tireyo643 said:
"The only thing I watch in BBC is Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt................ "

I'm like, 19 and I love those shows, you'd think only old people would watch them.
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By cap123

BBC is one of the few things i can be proud of my damn country about!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By GreggD

One of the reasons I'm an Anglophile, right there.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By agentboolen

Yea you British people brought me Mr. Bean, your BBC is a o.k. in my book    ;)

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By halberdierv2

currently watching the ibetweeners, and presently my  top shows on BBC are Top gear and Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares (and its derivetives) I  like good BBC programming, and now they're even throwing in Star Trek to boot!
Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aounslaught

Top Gear in and of itself is reason enough to pay the BBC however much they ask you good folks in Britain. Also, I was hoping one of you guys could teach me how to talk in that baller British accent that you guys have. That'd be great, thanks!!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Well, you were just skimming the surface. There's plenty to view in America, PBS is a good source for news, plus countless other shows if you pay for cable.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

You Europeans and British people have this weird TV licensing that makes no sense to me... but if it sounds that good, I suppose it justifies the price eh?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WalkerTR77

American drama is pretty good, but generally their tv is complete madness especially the news and if you don't believe me watch this comparison by Charlie Brooker.  Anyway, CLARKSON FOR PM!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Whight_Knight said:
" @Tireyo643 said:
"The only thing I watch in BBC is Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt................ "
 I'm like, 19 and I love those shows, you'd think only old people would watch them. "
"This beautiful wooden table from the 1800's is worth about...£1000!"

*minutes later* 

"Sold to the man in the clownsuit for £20!" 

: ( 

I love that show. 

But anyway, British television is much better then American television. Which is why I'm glad I don't in the States  (even though I live in Ireland but nevermind that).
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By BrickRoad

Ashes to Ashes is enough to pay the fee for. (LoM included).

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Cwaff

When I used to be off school sick I watched all of the property shows! To Buy or Not To Buy was a guilty pleasure... a pity one of the presenters died...