Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By colourful_hippie

I'm wearing that FUCK RYAN DAVIS shirt in public. Fuck it.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Aegon

@RollingZeppelin said:

@PillClinton said:

@RollingZeppelin: Fair enough, but in my personal interpretation, American or not, I find it to be overly generalizing and lacking in taste.

It's not generalizing though because it's talking about China, the nation, not the Chinese (who, again, are not a race).

China is separate from the rest of the world for a reason. It's a group of people. If you say every single person in that group of people is this or that, then you're generalizing.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By YI_Orange

@Aegon: @PillClinton: You misunderstand what I'm saying. What I'm saying is it's dumb to brush things off with the logic "oh you're not hated on that often so it's cool". I brush it off because I'm not going to get offended by a shirt, most likely someone is wearing the shirt because they think it's funny, not because they hate the race or whatever in question. I've been on friendly terms with people who by your logic were discriminating against me.

Also, getting offended by something without even understanding it is stupid. If I saw CHINA DON'T CARE(and I was chinese) and was truly feeling offended by it, I would probably ask for the context. They would explain it's a dumb joke from a website, we exchange a brief friendly chuckle and go on our way, no harm done.

Also, sorry if I'm coming across assholish here, I'm really not trying to. I just think the need to be hyper-sensitive all the time is getting a bit out of hand. It's also 3 AM and I don't feel like sleeping so my word choices probably aren't great.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PillClinton

@RollingZeppelin said:

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin: I live in Canada as well. Could you be a Torontonian perchance?

Nope I'm a Haligonian.

@PillClinton said:

@RollingZeppelin: Fair enough, but in my personal interpretation, American or not, I find it to be overly generalizing and lacking in taste.

It's not generalizing though because it's talking about China, the nation, not the Chinese (who, again, are not a race).

But that's not made explicitly clear in the shirt's 3 words, so how does a random person on the street know that for sure?

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

@PillClinton

Would you be offended if it said America don't care?

Well now, that's a toughie, I'll give you that, haha. I guess I wouldn't be, but again America is a heterogeneous culture, and arguably (probably even undisputedly to be honest) the bully of the modern world (in a geopolitical sense). So, I suppose if Chinese people themselves would take no offense to the shirt, with all its lack of clarity and all, then I am completely and utterly wrong here.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@PillClinton said:

China is separate from the rest of the world for a reason. It's a group of people. If you say every single person in that group of people is this or that, then you're generalizing.

Again, China does not imply the people in the country, but the country as an entity itself. It's not about a group of people but a governmental organization. This is why, in Canada, we refer to an organisation as 'it' and not 'they' (e.g. RIM's stock went down again, it's hemorrhaging money), because regardless of what Mitt Romney says, businesses (and organisations) are not people.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Aegon

@YI_Orange: Yes, you can discuss it with every Chinese person that thinks it might be offensive or someone else who is curious and then laugh about it later (or not, depends on your explanation [don't get tongue-tied in the moment!]), but the point is not to potentially cause that discomfort in the first place.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Funkydupe

China does care about ownership of USA's debts. China likes. China smiles.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Aegon said:

@YI_Orange: Yes, you can discuss it with every Chinese person that thinks it might be offensive or someone else who is curious and then laugh about it later (or not, depends on your explanation [don't get tongue-tied in the moment!]), but the point is not to potentially cause that discomfort in the first place.

See, now you are saying that people should dress a certain way and limit their personal expression on the off chance that someone MIGHT be offended by it. That is infringing on personal freedoms and is much more offensive than any stupid shirt.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By JasonR86

I really want to see a Chinese dude wearing that shirt. Everyone's minds would fucking flip.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Sploder

Did anyone see the picture on Twitter of Justin McElroy wearing the CDC shirt? It's awesome.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@JasonR86 said:

I really want to see a Chinese dude wearing that shirt. Everyone's minds would fucking flip.

Norm came up with the phrase, so it's not that big of a stretch.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JasonR86

@RollingZeppelin said:

@JasonR86 said:

It would be to the general public. I know that if I hadn't heard of that phrase and saw a Chinese dude with that shirt I would think that that dude was the coolest dude on the planet.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PillClinton

@RollingZeppelin: Totally different topic, but I actually prefer the British "they," as opposed to "it" because it denotes a group of individual people with accountability, not a monolithic single entity without a face or persona to lay blame on, as us North Americans have perpetuated with our word choice.

Also, again, how does a random person on the street know that within the 3 words "China Don't Care," emblazoned in bold font across a shirt, the single country China is implicit in the message, as opposed to the people and culture?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Aegon

@RollingZeppelin said:

@JasonR86 said:

When did Norm do that?

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like China, I just don't care.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Aegon said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

@JasonR86 said:

When did Norm do that?

A couple weeks ago I guess, I dunno I was just listening to a podcast and he was using it all the time.

@PillClinton said:

@RollingZeppelin: Totally different topic, but I actually prefer the British "they," as opposed to "it" because it denotes a group of individual people with accountability, not a monolithic single entity without a face or persona to lay blame on, as us North Americans have perpetuated with our word choice.

Also, again, how does a random person on the street know that within the 3 words "China Don't Care," emblazoned in bold font across a shirt, the single country China is implicit in the message, as opposed to the people and culture?

I guess I would assume they aren't trying to be offensive, since I try to see someone in a favourable light until I know that they are a piece of shit. It would be different for each person, but even when I see offensive shirt I don't automatically think that person is terrible, some people wear it to get a reaction or to be ironic. How about we get to know each other before we disregard everyone with a mildly offensive shirt?

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By smcn

@Aegon said:

If you're hoping that it'll be a conversation starter, then I'm not sure it'll be very useful outside of recognition from other bombers/duders.

So it's like every subscriber shirt ever then?

- Signed, proud owner of a WM 2010 shirt

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Aegon

@RollingZeppelin: This is the origin of the phrase, not Mr. Chan.

@smcn said:

@Aegon said:

If you're hoping that it'll be a conversation starter, then I'm not sure it'll be very useful outside of recognition from other bombers/duders.

So it's like every subscriber shirt ever then?

- Signed, proud owner of a WM 2010 shirt

I like the other shirts as well. Hardcore Dave shirt is my fave, and seeing other bombers with a shirt is very cool.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@Aegon: I stand corrected, still doesn't change my argument at all.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By BraveToaster

If a woman wants you, she's not going to care about that shirt. The only thing that matters is that you smell good and you're not a creepy fucking bastard.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72  Edited By geirr

Being from Norway, some of my childhood t-shirts featured more potentially offensive band names, designs and logos than anything Giantbomb could ever produce.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#73  Edited By Humanity

I would have bought the Ryan Davis one if it had any sort of GB logo on it. As is it looks like a t-shirt I made for myself or something as it has almost zero association with the site.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PillClinton

@RollingZeppelin said:

My argument remains unchanged as well. I suppose we can just agree to disagree on this particular issue, then?

To quote Voltaire (or misquote--debatable, but not here, oh please), "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@PillClinton In principle, however, it is the exact same thing, as it would be if an Australia, Iran, Croatia, Tonga, etc version came out.

Is there potential for someone to be offended by that? Sure.

Is the statement on the shirt itself offensive? No, it isn't. It requires a negative interpretation by the viewer without having any background or facts on the shirt and that, in my opinion, is on them.

As I write this I am sitting in Circular Quay surrounded by thousands of people, staring out over Sydney Harbour in the shade of the Opera House. I am wearing a System of a Down tshirt. There is a dude walking toward me right now and I'm pretty sure he's reading my shirt.

If he reads "System of a Down" and interprets that as somehow being anti sufferers of Down Syndrome (a stretch as a hypothetical scenario, but keep with me), is that on me at all?

However, if my shirt said "System of a Fuck Downies", that would obviously be on me as that is an outright and obviously offensive statement, in the same way that "The Chinese are Pricks" would be an obviously offensive statement.

"China Don't Care", however, is not an offensive statement in and of itself.
Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Strife777

Oh my god! What is with all this being offended shit about. First of all, most people would probably figure out you're either dumb or your shirt is a joke because it says "don't care" instead of "doesn't care". So they would problably correct you on that first. Then, your shirt is pink. Not breast cancer soft pink, put neon flashy pink! Maybe I'm wrong, but if you were trying to send a message, share a belief, you would probably do it in a color that makes more sense. Pink just doesn't seem like the activist's (if thats the right term to use) color of choice. Also, the message is so broad, people can't really even interpret it, "China don't care" about what? China don't care about the elections? The economy? The rest of the world? It's non-sensical and dumb, which is why it's funny, at least to me. Also, I think people need to stop being scared of offending and also of being offended. "Words hurt" Come on! They hurt when they come from people you love or hate, not strangers who wear pink shirts with huge blocky letters ( Which after seeing the pictures, I find disappointingly small.) Anyway, whatever...

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@PillClinton said:

@RollingZeppelin said:

My argument remains unchanged as well. I suppose we can just agree to disagree on this particular issue, then?

To quote Voltaire (or misquote--debatable, but not here, oh please), "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Agreed, or is it disagreed?

Well, you're wrong of course, I believe Voltaire actually said ...

just kidding

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#78  Edited By jacksukeru

Wear a different shirt underneath that say "I don't care either".

Ploblem SORVED!

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By PillClinton

@Tim_the_Corsair: You make good points, but I dispute your claim that CDC isn't offensive in and of itself, as if that's an objective fact. How one person chooses to interpret a message directed squarely at a specific country, nationality, culture, what have you is a matter of subjectivity alone. In my own subjective sense, as I've already stated to death in this thread, what's implied in those three words is generally negative and not inclusive--by definition, racist (not to be associated with prejudice necessarily--I'm not claiming that).

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
trebert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By trebert

Honestly, If anyone gives you shit for "China Don't Care" just mention it's history of human rights abuse, it's absence of freedom of speech, or how about just mention Tibet and call it a day. This is not racist, and compared to the reality of China, it's incredibly tame. I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone outside of the Chinese Government would take offense.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@trebert said:

Honestly, If anyone gives you shit for "China Don't Care" just mention it's history of human rights abuse, it's absence of freedom of speech, or how about just mention Tibet and call it a day. This is not racist, and compared to the reality of China, it's incredibly tame. I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone outside of the Chinese Government would take offense.

That's kind of the big thing here, nobody would care, or just chuckle because it's a vague, ethereal phrase that can mean whatever you want it to mean.

OP's "it's racist!" thing is really hilarious.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Aegon

@Oldirtybearon: I didn't say it's racist. I said it can easily be interpreted as such by someone who's not in on the joke.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Aegon: So? Who cares? China don't.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By korolev

It's not really racist - the PRC really doesn't care about anything other than itself. In fact, talking to my Chinese Relatives, they seem totally unconcerned about anything that doesn't affect China. "Oh," they say, "there's a civil war in the Congo? Well what do you expect? I don't care what they do to each other". Afghanistan? They don't care either - they say just let the Taliban and Americans kill each other - doesn't affect China, at least not immediately. Human Rights abuses in North Korea or Syria? None of their business, they say.

I like Chinese people. I'm half of one. But to be brutally honest, mainland Chinese people.... simply don't care about anything that doesn't affect them. What happens halfway around the world, to them, happens halfway around the world, and to them it's just none of their business. They simply don't care what other nations do to each other or to their own people, so long as it doesn't negatively affect China or might negatively affect China or China's main concern: Making Money. To be rich is to be glorious, after all. China, for all its communist and socialist trappings, is run like a business, by people who have business and engineering and chemistry degrees. All they care about is: 1) Security, 2) Stability, 3) Money. That's all they care about. Anything else? Of secondary or tertiary importance, or not important at all.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ExplodeMode

If you are wearing an oversized pink shirt with giant black words printed on it, that was intentionally designed to look shitty, and you care about what other people think - You fucked up.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#87  Edited By Chris2KLee

Well I'm Chinese, and I don't care. Problem solved.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Aegon

@ExplodeMode said:

If you are wearing an oversized pink shirt with giant black words printed on it, that was intentionally designed to look shitty, and you care about what other people think - You fucked up.

Is it illegal to \thread my own topic?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By asurastrike

@wjb said:

I would've humored the idea of buying one if it wasn't pink. I know that's half of the joke, but I don't do pink. Ever.

Pink is just a color like any other.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#90  Edited By viking_funeral

Saying "China don't care" is about as racist as saying "Canada don't care." As in, not at all.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#91  Edited By DeF
DON'T CARE
DON'T CARE
abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#92  Edited By abendlaender

If I would wear that shirt here in Austria this would happen: Nothing

Because, believe it or not, 99,8% of random strangers don't give a fuck about you and your clothing. Also, this thread is hilarious.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#93  Edited By jimi

@Abendlaender said:

If I would wear that shirt here in Austria this would happen: Nothing

Because, believe it or not, 99,8% of random strangers don't give a fuck about you and your clothing. Also, this thread is hilarious.

More like. THOSE THREADS!

HAHAAAAAA...

I'll show myself out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just say "Free Tibet" and spout some MCA quote and you'll look all sensitive and cultured and shit and probably get mad pussy or dick game yo.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By neurotic

It's...just a T-shirt.

How often do you read the stuff on the shirts of every random passer-by when walking down the street? Strangers couldn't care less about you when you're walking down the street and even if they do find the shirt offensive (which would be retarded) then what are they gonna do? Stop you in the middle of the street to tell you that they're offended? What does that achieve?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watch me.

Rise! Rebel! Resist!

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ltsmash

The obvious solution for this problem is to release a " " Don't Care shirt for EVERY COUNTRY.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By joshthebear

FRD > CDC

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By SomeJerk

I wear my "EAT MY ASS AND BALLS" shirt with a smile and I'd wear the pink China Don't Care with a smile too.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By FourWude

I wpuld gladly wrar a WHITEYS DON'T CARE t shirt. Not racist because whiteys aren't a race, nor do they care.