• 63 results
#1 Posted by nemt (862 posts) -

I don't mean stuff like Best in Show or This Is Spinal Tap (which I also like) I mean ones like Apollo 18 or The Poughkeepsie Tapes. The Fourth Kind is another one I really enjoyed. As horribly reviewed as they always tend to be, I always seem to enjoy them a lot (except the Blair Witch Project films, I wasn't crazy about those).

Are there any others I should check out?

#2 Posted by CastroCasper (1304 posts) -

There is a faux-documentary series on Youtube that I really enjoyed. I believe it is called Marble Hornets and it is about the myth of the Slender Man. Pretty good stuff.

#3 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Kurtdyoung said:

There is a faux-documentary series on Youtube that I really enjoyed. I believe it is called Marble Hornets and it is about the myth of the Slender Man. Pretty good stuff.

I was just about to post about that. One of the best things I've ever watched on youtube. Sometimes it's even super creepy.  

Here's a link to the channel
#4 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: @Kurtdyoung:

...you assholes :/

#5 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Rudyftw said:

what?
#6 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
@Kurtdyoung said:

I was just about to post about that. One of the best things I've ever watched on youtube. Sometimes it's even super creepy.  

Oh man I never finished that thing. Super creepy in spots. Gonna have to finish that.
#7 Posted by Rudyftw (554 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Rudyftw said:

what?

Im home alone and now i'm scared like a little girl!

#8 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Rudyftw said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@Rudyftw said:

what?

Im home alone and now i'm scared like a little girl!

Good, then I wasn't alone. I had a light bulb explode while watching one of the episodes where the camera freaks out. That freaked me the hell out, even when I know it's all just bogus. 
#9 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

A really good one (at least in my opinion) is Trollhunters, it's on Netflix instant streaming if you want to check it out. I think [REC] is also like that, but I haven't seen it. I hear nothing but praise for it though. There was something else I watched recently that was good as well, but I can't remember...

#10 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

Fuuuuck. I've watched a few, I don't usually find stuff creepy, but that's kinda creepy. Edit: What does it is the background music.

#11 Posted by CastroCasper (1304 posts) -

Whew, I am glad I wasn't the only one spooked by that series. They should really get a job in Hollywood, some of that shit is scarier than any Horror movie I've seen lately. I have also been afraid to look out on my porch...

#12 Posted by natetodamax (19216 posts) -

Trailer Park Boys is a really good mockumentary series if you're into dumb comedy. The humor doesn't come from cleverness but from seeing the hilarious characters in the situations they get themselves into and the things that they do. In some episodes the camera crew is forced to participate in some of the dumb crimes they pull off, like stealing a tractor from a barn. It's just a lot of fun to watch.

#13 Posted by Hargreaves93 (234 posts) -

Those videos are really good even though they are starting to freak me out haha!

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Cloverfield. That was fun.

#15 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3210 posts) -

I love the horror ones, especially Paranormal Activity.

#16 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5152 posts) -

Those kind of movies are usually called found footage films. Rorie really loves those, you should probably ask him.

#17 Posted by Milkman (17171 posts) -

Exit Through the Gift Shop is a great mockumentary, which may actually be a real documentary.

#18 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

@nemt: I really enjoy them too. Like you, I also enjoy the horror genre of found footage movies. There's a guy on Youtube that posts nothing but trailers to these types of movies. CHEM1ZON is his channel, check it out. Some titles off the top of my head are:

The Wicksboro Incident

Noroi: The Curse

The St. Francisville Experiment

#19 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@nemt:

Catfish was really good.

#20 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

Go watch Noroi.

#21 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

Shit, now I want to watch those videos about the Slender Man, but I'm scared of being scared.

#22 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@Bruce said:

@nemt:

Catfish was really good.

wait, wasn't catfish real? I'm pretty sure the creators said it was.

#23 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Strife777 said:

Shit, now I want to watch those videos about the Slender Man, but I'm scared of being scared.

Play cheerful music over it, the audio is mostly what makes it so creepy. It will instantly become kind of funny.

#24 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@MikeHawk:

Nah man, Catfish was fake. In fact, it was Catfish that got those guys the director gig for Paranormal Activity 3.

#25 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Bruce said:

@MikeHawk:

Nah man, Catfish was fake. In fact, it was Catfish that got those guys the director gig for Paranormal Activity 3.

Yeah, I thought it was real until they got PA3. I liked Catfish, really nice/heartwarming film

#26 Posted by Commisar123 (1798 posts) -

District 9 was probably my favorite of that style

#27 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@Dany:

Yeah, it was a really good movie. I enjoyed the message behind it, too.

#28 Posted by Strife777 (1610 posts) -

@Commisar123 said:

District 9 was probably my favorite of that style

The mockumentary stuff doesn't last all that long though.

But yeah, it's a fantastic movie.

#29 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@Bruce: Don't this and this say otherwise? Not trying to start a fight or anything. I guess Ariel and Nev could just be duping everybody and pulling a Joaquin Phoenix. Speaking of which, how is I'm Still Here?

#30 Posted by Bruce (5264 posts) -

@MikeHawk:

It was a ploy to sell the movie. A lot of the intrigue stemmed from it supposedly being a true story, but if you watch the film, there are many giveaways that it's scripted. And the directors subsequently admitted it themselves. One of the biggest tells is that whenever something key happens, pertaining to the little girl or his relationship with her sister, the camera is there in the opportune time. Not only that, but the film follows a drama format indicative of a well written story.

#31 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

I hate that every TV show (comedy-wise) has turned into this weird mockumentary thing, where the fact that it is shot that way doesn't even play into it anymore. I think it all started with that Curb Your Enthusiasm pilot....I can't really remember that being a thing before that, but then everything copied that kind of handheld, no laughtrack or live audience style, from the Office to Arrested Development to Parks and Rec and Modern Family and Trailer Park Boys...the list goes on and on. Lots of those are great shows, but the style has just been done to death now. Someone needs to come up with something new. Actually someone did...it's called Louie...but who's ever going to watch that?

Sorry, that wasn't really on the topic of the OP...just wanted to get that off my chest.

#32 Posted by Lukeweizer (2746 posts) -

FUBAR.

#33 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

@Bruce: That does make sense that they would do that, when you put it that way. Still, it played out very nicely.

#34 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

If you want more horror style 'found footage' here are my recommendations (I found them all on netflix streaming):

-Grave Encounters

-Paranormal Entity (Very reminiscent of Paranormal Activity 1 and very well done)

-[REC]

-8213 Gacy House (Very amateur-ish but if you can get past that, a very good story)

-The Last Exorcism (Higher budget but was good until the end in my opinion)

-Quarantine

-Diary of the Dead

And I can't think of any more...mind you, most of these are not super high production films and it shows. But if you can get past that, they're good films (none too scary but a good movie in the genre).

#35 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

I liked Paul McCartney Really is Dead: The Last Testament of George Harrison. It's the supposed story of George Harrison narrating how Paul McCartney died in the 60's, and how they covered it up with a double. It's on Netflix Instant Watch, and perhaps the most amusing thing on that page is that a lot of user reviews were taking the film seriously.

#36 Edited by jewunit (1064 posts) -

If you are looking for a reasonably good parody documentary, check out the Ken Burns-styled "Old Negro Space Program".

Do "A Mighty Wind" and "Best in Show" count in this category, I thought both of those movies were pretty fun to watch.

#37 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

There was a TV series about Brits camping in the Australian wilderness which got super freaky. Never watched all the way through it and can't remember the name.

#38 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

The Last Broadcast is probably the best one I've seen.

#39 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

Christ, that shit creeped me out. Fake or not, it gets downright eerie.

#40 Posted by Arkasai (702 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Exit Through the Gift Shop is a great mockumentary, which may actually be a real documentary.

I really liked that film too. Lots of great tongue in cheek social commentary, much like Banksy's art.

#41 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4846 posts) -
#42 Posted by Enns (368 posts) -

I recently watched Troll Hunter on Netflix. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

#43 Posted by Xeiphyer (5608 posts) -

Not a documentary, but you might enjoy this little youtube video. 

#44 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

You should watch Zelig, absolutely hilarious mockumentary done in a really fun old timey way.

#45 Posted by nemt (862 posts) -

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I'll be pretty busy on Netflix/Youtube the next few days.

#46 Edited by w00ties (186 posts) -

You should watch Life's Too Short.

It's a TV Series rather than a film, but I believe it's referred to as a mockumentary. It's really funny.

#47 Posted by SanjK (40 posts) -

@GunslingerPanda said:

Man Bites Dog

Man Bites Dog was amazing!

Also, Fubar and Fubar 2 are stellar mockumentaries.

#48 Posted by Kdog510 (7 posts) -

I know you mentioned Spinal Tap, but I would seriously give "And God Spoke" a try if you haven't seen it.

It is one of the funniest mockumentaries I've seen, detailing everything that could possibly go wrong during a film's production cycle. Especially funny is when it's B grade director/producer team trying to make a bible film.

If your a big movie buff or into the movie making process it's even funnier. But overall it feels so natural and organic, you'd think it was a real documentary. It's definitely streaming on Netflix too.

#49 Edited by diz (934 posts) -

Anything by Chris Morris, such as:

"The Day Today", or "Brass Eye" TV series. They were spoof current affairs documentaries.

OR Peter Serafinowicz's "Look Around You", which were 2 series of "educational magazine" programs.

#50 Posted by dudeglove (8141 posts) -

@Dany said:

Cloverfield. That was fun.

Oh good lord.