If a robot has free will and can think and desire isn't it human?

• 118 results
lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By lavaman77

Aside from being synthetic what exactly would separate a robot from a human being if they can desire,think,and have free will? this is a question that i've asked when i've seen Bladerunner and it's a question that BSG explored a lot.

I think therefore i am. I'm really interested to see what you guys think. I think that we're not that much different.

Godak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godak

Well, the robot is better at math...

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Sentient, not human.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Well they would have to biologically be a human. If I thought like a cat I'd be a human who thought like a cat.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nonused

Not as squishy.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By foggel

It's not human, but is an entity with feelings, and should be treated humanely. 

Again: It.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
Sentient, not human.
this
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SexyToad

Notice what you said if a robot has.... It's a robot.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TehFlan
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
Sentient, not human.
Yeah, you can't really overlook the biological bits when deciding who belongs to a species.
Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grillbar

i think you need to be organic to. look at robocop he was a human transfered in to a robotic suit or body. and he was a robot, its right there in the name. so if a robot is not organic then its not a human.

imo

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A dolphin isn't a human.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GuyIncognito

I am a sentient robot. Ask me anything.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

Would you like to rephrase the thread title into something less obviously false?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Sentient, not human.

Exactly. Is that why humans are racists to robots in their own fiction?

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jay444111

If it has feelings like happiness, anger and sadness and is capable of speaking like a human being. Than yeah, it should get equal rights as well. We'll have to make new laws but that shouldn't be a problem really. Just the religious people who hate the idea of another type of being possibly having a soul should fuck off. If it believes it has a soul than so the fuck what?

Yeah, I am possibly going to fight for robots equal rights when they start getting human emotions. Hell, we clone sheep! that is... like even worse than making a machine that can think and feel IMO at least! I support it fully, but I think people should realize that we already crossed that line into creating life LONG ago.

TBird13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TBird13

It is a person, not a human.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

Go play binary domain if you want an answer to this question.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jrinswand
@GuyIncognito said:

I am a sentient robot. Ask me anything.

I lol'd.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

@Grillbar:Actually I watched Robocop yesterday morning and they specifically call him a Cyborg.

You're welcome.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlightConfuse

no its a robot that is self aware human is specific type of animal(homo sapian)

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Sentient, not human.

Exactly. Is that why humans are racists to robots in their own fiction?

I'm not a racist or a specist. (other than spiders for very good reasons. Unless it is a species of peaceful spiders... somehow then I will take everything back.) Or a syntheticist either. I support all groups of beings as long as they follow the law and are peaceful overall. For real. That is truly what I think. Every being that can express emotion and thoughts should be able to do so and freely with equal rights for all.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64
No Caption Provided
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By soldierg654342

Sentient, human, whatever, I'm still going to do everything in my power to destroy it. Robots with feelings are nothing but trouble.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24  Edited By JasonR86

Let Us Not Forget Data...!!!!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Sentient, not human.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

@ModerateViolence said:

A dolphin isn't a human.

Only because of the blowhole.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jay444111

@SoldierG654342 said:

Sentient, human, whatever, I'm still going to do everything in my power to destroy it. Robots with feelings are nothing but trouble.

But people who destroy weaker and newly developing species AREN'T????

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aronman789
No Caption Provided
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jay444111:

And what of the rest of humanity? From what I've seen, they're quite quick to think up a concept for some other form of life and immediately assume it wants them dead for no goddamn reason.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jay444111

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

And what of the rest of humanity? From what I've seen, they're quite quick to think up a concept for some other form of life and immediately assume it wants them dead for no goddamn reason.

Those are the dickheads and the ones that cannot accept the future, there are people who are truly willing to accept anything as long as it isn't obviously bad. Hell, I will flat out go up to protesters who may be picking on a robot and I will flat out be as racist sounding as possible to any person in the crowd. Doesn't matter how big it is. I will show them an example of hatred from years ago and why hatred is a flawed mechanic in today's society. Of course I am not racist, but I would gladly demonstrate it if it meant protecting a new species of beings.

Edit: I would LOVE to have a robot/AI friend to kick around with. LOVE IT!

I would also date a female looking robot. I mean, hell, if it has feelings and is capable of true love. Why the fuck not? Sooner or later we would become more machine like, like cyborgs so why the fuck not? When we find a happy medium of robotic and biology I can garantee that it would be the best thing to do for humanity and robots. Human features but robotic insides would be the best options.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

Those are the dickheads and the ones that cannot accept the future, there are people who are truly willing to accept anything as long as it isn't obviously bad. Hell, I will flat out go up to protesters who may be picking on a robot and I will flat out be as racist sounding as possible to any person in the crowd. Doesn't matter how big it is. I will show them an example of hatred from years ago and why hatred is a flawed mechanic in today's society. Of course I am not racist, but I would gladly demonstrate it if it meant protecting a new species of beings.

Let's be racist to show racists that they are racist and racism is bad.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Aronman789

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

Because we are a species that loves death. We call soldiers heroes, we sentence others to death for their crimes, we say people who wrong us should die, we go to war over disputes that could be easily solved through diplomacy. Because of this we are paranoid that others would be like us and try to kill us, so we take up the strategy that killing them before they can stab us in the back.

We're just as likely to shoot you in the face as we are to greet you with open arms. Be careful around us moon-man.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jay444111

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

I would be more like demonstrating how racism in the past worked and how the people are continuing one of the dumbest cycles in human history. That is more like how it would be.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By salad10203

I will never understand this argument. If robots can think for themselves then you have created a new species (ill-advised though it may be.) A dog can think and has free will but that doesn't make it human.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Aronman789 said:

We're just as likely to shoot you in the face as we are to greet you with open arms. Be careful around us moon-man.

I've no need to be careful in that situation. You know that magnet thing Fortune wears throughout Metal Gear Solid 2? I have that shit on me all the damn time.. Besides, why do you think I'm so damn reluctant to begin relations with Earth the inevitable day you develop reasonable mass space travel? Because yours is a species that embraces its animalistic nature yet thinks itself above the rest of nature in every manner.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Jay444111 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

I would be more like demonstrating how racism in the past worked and how the people are continuing one of the dumbest cycles in human history. That is more like how it would be.

I think that's perpetuating racism more than abolishing it if all you are doing is being racist back.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Akyho

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Sentient, not human.

Exactly. My cat could become the same level of intelligence and sentience as humans. However it is not human. It is a sentient cat.

A Robot would still be a Robot however a sentient robot.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

A human has a cellular structure, a robot does not.

The more interesting questions is that if they grew a body for a robot with human stem cells, then gave that body a positronic brain, would it still be a robot? It'd technically have more human biological matter than say a child. Is it then the brain that makes a human? Would a human brain in a robot body be a person?

Asking questions is an easy way to look smrt!

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Video_Game_King said:

@Aronman789 said:

I've no need to be careful in that situation. You know that magnet thing Fortune wears throughout Metal Gear Solid 2? I have that shit on me all the damn time.. Besides, why do you think I'm so damn reluctant to begin relations with Earth the inevitable day you develop reasonable mass space travel? Because yours is a species that embraces its animalistic nature yet thinks itself above the rest of nature in every manner.

Here's what happens when you put a magnet on a fucking robot!

Way cooler than dodging bullets.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SethPhotopoulos:

Really? I've never seen that shit happen. In fact, I'm pretty sure that for several years, robots have been designed so that magnets don't fuck with their functions. Otherwise, they'd be closed off from a lot of jobs.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jay444111

@Aronman789 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

Because we are a species that loves death. We call soldiers heroes, we sentence others to death for their crimes, we say people who wrong us should die, we go to war over disputes that could be easily solved through diplomacy. Because of this we are paranoid that others would be like us and try to kill us, so we take up the strategy that killing them before they can stab us in the back.

I believe in safety. You just have to be prepared really. It is more of a governmental thing you are talking about than a individual one unless you are talking about huge gun owners. Most disputes nowadays are actually solved with diplomacy unless the other side is completely fucking insane nowadays. Mutual assured destruction probably saved our asses a couple times in terms of wars. hell, without it, I bet your ass that without it, we would have to fight way more wars than usual.

People berate soldiers and congratulate them a good amount actually.

I myself am in the middle of this, not all soldiers kill people. they are trained to, but most really don't these days. Most of the time a soldier just lays around until they are ordered to do something boring. Or they build wells and schools for kids and stuff over in other countries. Killing people is wrong, but when a person is absolutely insane and is going to kill hundreds of other people I think we should defend other people. However we should do better at that by investing in non-fatal weaponry.

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lavaman77

@nintendoeats said:

Would you like to rephrase the thread title into something less obviously false?

If a robot is created to perfectly clone a human being with free will designed in, then my title isn't wrong. :) It's about robots that resemble human beings in every way possible.

@myshutup said:

@lavaman77 said:

I think therefore i am.

Nope. Not what that means.

I know what it means but i think you misunderstood what i used it for, if we ourselves struggle to believe we really exist and have to rely on the old "If i think therefore i exist" saying to reassure ourselves then how can we claim that robots aren't as real as us? if they think, they desire,they have free will and wants then they exist and are an individual.

From wiki

meaning of the phrase is that someone wondering whether or not he or she exists is, in and of itself, proof that something, an "I", exists to do the thinking — However this "I" is not the more or less permanent person we call "I".

@Jay444111 said:

If it has feelings like happiness, anger and sadness and is capable of speaking like a human being. Than yeah, it should get equal rights as well. We'll have to make new laws but that shouldn't be a problem really. Just the religious people who hate the idea of another type of being possibly having a soul should fuck off. If it believes it has a soul than so the fuck what?

Yeah, I am possibly going to fight for robots equal rights when they start getting human emotions. Hell, we clone sheep! that is... like even worse than making a machine that can think and feel IMO at least! I support it fully, but I think people should realize that we already crossed that line into creating life LONG ago.

That's why i find it such an interesting subject, there's no doubt that people will be at war with each other over equality and if something synthetic can ever be considered alive or human or if it should get rights. I wish more media explored this subject.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By monetarydread

I don't think that the question will ever be relevant because we will be able to download our consciousness into a robot before we can program a robot be like a human.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aronman789

@Video_Game_King said:

@Aronman789 said:

That is true, we are still quite savage, but some of us are trying to leave that behind at least. People are slowly learning how blurred the line between animal and human are thanks to science, and many, like the people of Doctors Without Borders, are trying to put those ways behind them and help others instead of hurting. If we could only get the public to become interested in other things besides that immediately around them we could speed up the process, but alas, we aren't having many breakthroughs on that front either.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Video_Game_King said:

@SethPhotopoulos:

Really? I've never seen that shit happen. In fact, I'm pretty sure that for several years, robots have been designed so that magnets don't fuck with their functions. Otherwise, they'd be closed off from a lot of jobs.

Robots thought that if one was to put a magnet on a Robot to subdue it they would need a defense mechanism. The obvious choice was to produce dubstep so tight that the attackers head would explode. Robots don't need jobs.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jay444111

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

I think that's perpetuating racism more than abolishing it if all you are doing is being racist back.

Not really, when people are kicking around a robot just because it is a robot is the same level as racism as other people have had to deal with years ago. Maybe because I am a Native American that I feel this way. But fuck man, if something has enough intelligence to commuticate with us should get the same rights as humans unless they have a weird way about them that needs more elaborate rights for them. But seriously, if a crowd was picking a defenseless robot and if the robot was actually sobbing. (somehow.) wouldn't you go do everything in your power to help it/he/her/whatever it wants to be called? It is not right on any level whatsoever to do such a horrible thing to anything like that!

@MikkaQ said:

A human has a cellular structure, a robot does not.

The more interesting questions is that if they grew a body for a robot with human stem cells, then gave that body a positronic brain, would it still be a robot? It'd technically have more human biological matter than say a child. Is it then the brain that makes a human? Would a human brain in a robot body be a person?

Asking questions is an easy way to look smrt!

Cyrborg right there! Deserves the same rights as a regular human does.

@Akyho said:

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Sentient, not human.

Exactly. My cat could become the same level of intelligence and sentience as humans. However it is not human. It is a sentient cat.

A Robot would still be a Robot however a sentient robot.

Yet you would look down upon it as a cat than a equal like it would deserve?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

According to this God Child I know,  there is no difference between a self aware friendly robot like a Johnny-5 from Short Circuit and a soulless killing machine that can be killed by stairs like ED-209 from Robocop.   

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SethPhotopoulos:

Yea, they fucking do. How else are they supposed to afford housing? Or fuel? Or yearly maintenance check-ups? Or emotions (that's some expensive-ass software)? Or more memory? You don't really know how the robot life functions, do you?

lavaman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By lavaman77

@Jay444111 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jay444111:

Not really, when people are kicking around a robot just because it is a robot is the same level as racism as other people have had to deal with years ago. Maybe because I am a Native American that I feel this way. But fuck man, if something has enough intelligence to commuticate with us should get the same rights as humans unless they have a weird way about them that needs more elaborate rights for them. But seriously, if a crowd was picking a defenseless robot and if the robot was actually sobbing. (somehow.) wouldn't you go do everything in your power to help it/he/her/whatever it wants to be called? It is not right on any level whatsoever to do such a horrible thing to anything like that!

People would just say "But it's just a robot.", even if it can feel pain they will still see it as a hunk of metal. As long as they know that the robot was made they will refuse to consider it alive.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jay444111

@lavaman77 said:

@Jay444111 said:

That's why i find it such an interesting subject, there's no doubt that people will be at war with each other over equality and if something synthetic can ever be considered alive or human or if it should get rights. I wish more media explored this subject.

I am not saying it should be alive or if it is human! I am saying that it has a RIGHT to exist in any form it wants to! If it has freewill and it has emotions, and if it has intelligence it deserves to have the same rights as a human and it deserves a right to exist!

@MonetaryDread said:

I don't think that the question will ever be relevant because we will be able to download our consciousness into a robot before we can program a robot be like a human.

That won't work because that is basically copying yourself and that would cause a absolute shitstorm of MASSIVE purportions from all sides. The best way is to send tiny atomic sized robots to make your brain gradually turn synthetic while you are conscious. That way none of that shitstorm will happen about the 'soul' of a human being and it would still get the same results.