Info about next Batman? (Johnny Depp Is The Riddler, Phillip H..)

TheDarkSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheDarkSlayer
It’s one of the biggest — and most hotly debated — questions in fandom…which actors (and characters) will director Christopher Nolan enlist as a villain for his third “Batman” film? Rumors have abounded since the release of “The Dark Knight,” and Nolan has remained fiercely tight-lipped. But now, has one of his main players revealed some of the biggest casting news of the decade?

In an interview with MTV News conducted just hours ago at the Toronto Film Festival, Michael Caine — there to promote “Is There Anybody There?” — seemed to confirm rumors that the next installment of the “Batman” film franchise will feature two very well-known names playing the roles of The Riddler and the Bumbershoot Bandit, The Penguin. “They’ve already got them in mind,” said Caine, when asked who he’d like to see take up arms against the Caped Crusader. “It’s Johnny Depp as The Riddler. And The Penguin is Philip Seymour Hoffman. I read it in the paper.”

So Caine is like the rest of us, reading gossip in the tabloids, right? Except for one thing…according to the actor, he confirmed the news through the studio itself.

“When Christopher [Nolan] said we were going to do ‘The Dark Knight’ next, I didn’t what that meant in Batman terms,” related Caine, who plays Bruce Wayne’s loyal butler, Alfred Pennyworth. “I said, ‘What’s the story?’ and he said The Joker. I said, ‘Oh, s–t! How are you going to top Jack [Nicholson]?’ He said, ‘Well, I’ve cast Heath Ledger. And I went ‘Ha! I couldn’t top Jack, but if anyone could, maybe Heath could.’ And he did.

“I was with [a Warner Bros.] executive and I said, ‘Are we going to make another one?’ They said yeah. I said, ‘How the hell are we going to top Heath? And he says ‘I’ll tell you how you top Heath — Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.’ I said, ‘S–t, they’ve done it again!’” [Laughs]

While rumors of Depp and Hoffman have been hot topics around the upcoming film for quite some time, this is the first instance of one of the film’s stars speaking about the news, as well as Caine citing an albeit unnamed WB executive.

Meanwhile, when asked if he’s spoken to Nolan about the news or the next installment’s script, Caine made mention of Nolan’s vacation, and hinted that, “No. He’s gone. He’ll come back with a script sometime.”

Source: http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/08/dark-knight-exclusive-michael-caine-says-johnny-depp-is-the-riddler-philip-seymour-hoffman-is-the-penguin/

Thoughts? =)
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I could never ever picture Johnny Depp as the Riddler... I think Johnny Depp is a is a great actor, but Riddler? What?! I just can't see him playing Riddler...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I refuse to see a Nolan Batman film starring Johnny Depp.  Absolutely refuse. 

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Win

This story seems a little too good to be true. Johnny Depp is an odd choice for the Riddler but a good one. And although I think The Penguin is a shitty villian in general, Philip Seymour Hoffman is also a good choice for him.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By clubsandwich

Excellent news!!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

why is johnny depp an odd choice?
Johnny Depp has demonstrated his acting skills for weird roles like the riddler.  I think the Willy Wonka movie is the closest comparison.

They're going to have an essentric riddler, not a clean shaved one

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

THE PENGUIN IS IN! I KNEW IT! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Player1

I could see Johnny as the riddler. Hes a weird character in pirates, so I could defiantly see him pull it off. 

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By breton

Eh. I say this every time, the third batman isn't even official yet. And for the choices.. I don't want to see Johnny Depp in batman.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bulldog19892

Somehow I don't think this article is reliable...

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By elbow

Disappointed.

Aaron Eckhart needs to come back and portray Two-Face.

If Christopher Nolan is simply going to shut out one of Batman's best villians - specially after the vague ending he gave us on the character - then he is shooting himself in the foot.

A deranged Harvey Dent is a million times more appealing to me than the terrible villian that is "The Penguin".

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

I don't think this "source" is reliable at all, but if Johnny Depp was cast as The Riddler I would be extremely disappointed. I just really think he would be an awful choice for the role. PSH for Penguin would be excellent though.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bulldog19892
Kush said:
"I don't think this "source" is reliable at all, but if Johnny Depp was cast as The Riddler I would be extremely disappointed. I just really think he would be an awful choice for the role. PSH for Penguin would be excellent though."
I agree. Depp is too recognizable, kinda the way it was with Jack Nicholson's Joker. I would go with Michael Pitt. Hoffman would make a great penguin though, despite the fact that the Penguin is a really stupid character.
Fax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fax

I don't think its real...

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush
Bulldog19892 said:
"I agree. Depp is too recognizable, kinda the way it was with Jack Nicholson's Joker. I would go with Michael Pitt. Hoffman would make a great penguin though, despite the fact that the Penguin is a really stupid character."
I actually think he's a horrible choice because I don't think he would pull it off. I think he is dramatically becoming one of the most overrated actors out there. I'll be honest though, I can't think of anyone for The Riddler at this moment...no one comes to mind.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

its a bullshit rumor, and cain was just making a joke about the rumors, he's very aware of these things you may be surprised by that. and i dont want depp or hoffman in the movie. theyre just soo full of themselves anymore. hoffman was better before he got all famous, his capote performance was highly overrated, and there were two movies made about capote that year and the other one played him much better, and i thought he was totally miscast in M:I3 hiring depp is like hiring tom cruise, please, dont do it. let them make their own movies. 

i think they need someone like mickey rourke, hes a great actor (recently reminded everyone that in the upcoming THE WRESTLER, its supposed to be excellent) but he's not a depp or hoffman these days and he would tottttallllly fit into the nolan batman universe, he's so bad ass and versatile. maybe he should play a new baine, because that villain deserves a better movie appearance after the abysmal batman and robin
Curfew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Curfew

They are not signed to the movie its way to early.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JohnDudebro
I'm kind of surprised so many people are against this.

Who believed Heath Ledger could be the Joker when that got announced? Nobody. And now everyone is worshipping him as the greatest actor that ever lived. So I'd put some faith in Nolan & Co. to pick the right guys for their movie.

Besides, Johnny Depp in a superhero movie is long overdue. That man is awesome.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Black_Rose

Johnny Depp can do anything i don't think he could screw such a great character as the Riddler

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech

I think that Johnny Depp is too obvious to play the Riddler, but Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great choice for the Penguin.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoG

I'll be honest, when Heath was revealed to be the Joker, all hope was lost. I was sure it would be a stinker, I mean, Heath Ledger? He's in chick flicks and a Knight's Tale!

I was wrong.
Depp is an actor who has experience as a villain, and is totally weird like the Riddler. He'll do great.
As for the Penguin, well, the penguin sucks.
SimpleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SimpleBear

After seeing Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate factory... I can imagine a wacky Riddler coming from him.

Now... howabout Catwoman? Talia al Ghul (Ras al Ghul's daughter)? Batman needs new love....

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kush
Black_Rose said:
"Johnny Depp can do anything i don't think he could screw such a great character as the Riddler"
I don't believe he can do anything. I thought he was awful in Sweeney Todd, but sadly Tim Burton seems to be in this place where he refuses to try a different actor.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kush said:
"Black_Rose said:
"Johnny Depp can do anything i don't think he could screw such a great character as the Riddler"
I don't believe he can do anything. I thought he was awful in Sweeney Todd, but sadly Tim Burton seems to be in this place where he refuses to try a different actor."
Burton's also in the place, commonly known as his career, in which everything he does is the same.  The same theme, the same tone, the same art style, the same score, the same cinematography.

Tim Burton is a hack.  Johnny Depp is not much better.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bulldog19892
Kush said:
"Bulldog19892 said:
"I agree. Depp is too recognizable, kinda the way it was with Jack Nicholson's Joker. I would go with Michael Pitt. Hoffman would make a great penguin though, despite the fact that the Penguin is a really stupid character."
I actually think he's a horrible choice because I don't think he would pull it off. I think he is dramatically becoming one of the most overrated actors out there. I'll be honest though, I can't think of anyone for The Riddler at this moment...no one comes to mind."
I think if Johnny Depp were to play the Riddler, it would be way too similar to other characters he's played. It would feel like something that's been done before.

But anyways, this news can't be true because The Dark Knight just came out. They haven't even started writing the script yet, and Christopher Nolan isn't sure as to whether or not he even wants to make the sequel.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kush
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Burton's also in the place, commonly known as his career, in which everything he does is the same.  The same theme, the same tone, the same art style, the same score, the same cinematography.

Tim Burton is a hack.  Johnny Depp is not much better."
I do agree that (especially now) Burton's films have all felt the same and it's been quite annoying to me, but Depp's non-stop praise lately is even more annoying. He's treated like he's some golden god amongst actors, but I don't he's done anything lately worthy of such praise.
Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Balls

I liked the original idea of it being the trial of the Joker. RIP Heathie.