Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Claude
@Afroman269 said:
@Claude: I've had a fondness for a lot of the British humor mainly because most of my childhood took place in Ireland. Thanks to Netflix, a lot of the old shows are up on Instant, such as Fawlty Towers and Mr. Bean. 
I saw a lot back in my day. Benny Hill and Monty Python were very nice syndication shows on PBS. I saw some good movies as well. And more not remembered.
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By bybeach

I'm Bybeach and i am full of win. 
well guess that solves my problem of being an intern.  
And GB is not the same. It's good, and i am not out to fruitlessly crap on it.  But it is not the same...except for that couple minutes of slim Jim vomit theator. That was the old GB. 
Bybeach shuts up.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By recroulette
@Afroman269 said:
@Claude: I've had a fondness for a lot of the British humor mainly because most of my childhood took place in Ireland. Thanks to Netflix, a lot of the old shows are up on Instant, such as Fawlty Towers and Mr. Bean. 
Hold the fucking phone. Mr. Bean is on Netflix? Awesome. 
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Daveyo520

Oh you. 

PS We don't talk about the interns! 

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By PillClinton

it's just Ryan.  he's an asshole in case you didn't notice. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Afroman269
@RecSpec: I think it was recently added and ya it's really awesome.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Mighty

I never got the idea that they were actually giving him serious shit. 

It's just joking.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RazielCuts
@BestUsernameEver said:
I really don't understand why Ryan is such an asshole now. He used to be polite, now he's arrogant and doesn't care at all about other people. 
This. 

I think with Giant Bomb being what it is and people being driven to the site because of the personalities it holds it can give said personalities a big ego and I think the only one thats been truly affected by this is Ryan. He seems to have an 'us and them' mentality towards the internet and the userbase of this site, to whom he considers beneath him. This is their show and Ryan is one of the shining 'stars.'

I feel like the TNT STFU incident almost smacks of this (obv in an escalated version) - 

Ryan's thought process = I'm the star, Corey is the intern, know thy place.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#59  Edited By Claude

What if they're like characters in wrestling?

Ryan hates the NDX...bad guy. I'll call Ryan the XNDX or The Broker.
Jeff is The Train or just NDX.
Brad is The Death as in dying quickly.
Vinny is The Myth as in Italian.
Patrick is Kerplunk as in news got, done.
Alex is The Distance as in he kills from a distance.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@RazielCuts said:
@BestUsernameEver said:
I really don't understand why Ryan is such an asshole now. He used to be polite, now he's arrogant and doesn't care at all about other people. 
This. 

I think with Giant Bomb being what it is and people being driven to the site because of the personalities it holds it can give said personalities a big ego and I think the only one thats been truly affected by this is Ryan. He seems to have an 'us and them' mentality towards the internet and the userbase of this site, to whom he considers beneath him. This is their show and Ryan is one of the shining 'stars.'

I feel like the TNT STFU incident almost smacks of this (obv in an escalated version) - 

Holy shit people THEY JOKE AROUND.  

I don't know why but it still amazes me that people can be so fucking dense.
FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FoolishChaos
@Beforet said:
@Vager said: 
 I believe he had to squelch the rumors about him hating Brad on that same Bombcast.
Holy shit, this really is just like the "Ryan hates Brad" nonsense.  Jesus people, we don't see what these gentlemen are like off camera. I imagine the off camera office stuff is just that: office stuff. People sitting quietly at their desks typing shit or playing games. Maybe interns fetching coffee, because that's what interns do anywhere. Not hazing or hold grudges against each other.
Ryan's "Shut the fuck up" moment was us seeing what he is like when he thinks he isn't on camera.  

During one of the first happy hours he totally said something fucked up about comic vine when he thought the camera moved off him too.  

Kind of an asshole. 
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FoolishChaos: No he specifically told him that because they were live.
FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By FoolishChaos
Your right, still you could see the hatred in his eyes.  

Maybe he deserved it, who knows. Though I'm not sure if any intern abuse can beat the infamous surstromming
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By DystopiaX
@Manhattan_Project said:
@RazielCuts said:
@BestUsernameEver said:
This. 

Holy shit people THEY JOKE AROUND.   I don't know why but it still amazes me that people can be so fucking dense.
Pretty much this... the whole picking on interns thing is clearly a joke, not him deliberately being an asshole. It's the whole stereotypical pick on the intern thing, if it were really that bad I'm sure we would have heard of it/Bodega wouldn't have chosen to go back for another round.
williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By williamhenry

I'm sure Ryan and Corey are comfortable enough around each other now that they can joke like that with each other. Have you never joked around with a friend like that before? If Ryan acted like this on dude's first day, then maybe the situation would be different but every time its someone's first time running a chat, Ryan always seems more than courteous to them. I also think the Full Of Win line has led to Corey receiving more shit than he would have normally, but its all in good fun. If Ryan was really huge dick, interns would have quit by now.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Garfield518

Yeah, Ryan is a huge asshole to interns, which causes them to never want to work with Whiskey Media again.

Oh wait... the two former interns are coming back for another internship? Well, I'll be damned.

antonyhawk65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By antonyhawk65

Giant Bomb is just secretly a lot like Mommie Dearest

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By napalm
@dudeglove said:
@MattyFTM said:

Anyone who says "full of win" deserves to be lambasted.

I always shudder in disgust anytime any human being uses some sort of internet phrase in real life. Doesn't matter if it's even via video game website.  

For those in doubt:

I just said, "oh my god" and audibly sighed and chuckled at the ridiculousness. That shit gets me every time.
Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Echo

People should give Corey a break. I don't get the whole 'Full of Win' thing. Who gives a shit? I see people on this forum use totally vapid memes every day. I remember a podcast a while back where Brad and Jeff said something like "He done goofed. Now consequences will never be the same".  

Ryan being a dick to interns is the one thing that makes me not want to renew my subscription. Who says you have to be a dick to interns? Is it an American thing? At our office, we are completely professional when it comes to interns. If it's meant to be a joke I'm sure as fuck not laughing, it comes off as being totally lame.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By tim_the_corsair

"bahahahahahah this website is hilarious, these guys are so funny, look at tha-OMG RYAN SAID SOMETHING THAT I WILL INTERPRET AS BEING 100% SERIOUS DESPITE THE FACT HE IS JOKING EVERY OTHER TIME HE SAYS STUFF LIKE THIS!!! WHAT A DICK!!! QUICK, TO THE FORUMS!"

Seriously, wtf? Do you idiots really think ANYONE would work with Ryan (or any of them) if he was legitimately a colossal dickhead? If one of your staffmembers acts like this much of a turd, disrupting your business in the process, you would bounce his arse because he is a liability.

Funny how that hasn't happened? Funny how everyone seems to love him? Funny how he is the guy chosen to speak to everybody? Funny how the interns seem to love interning there?

Fuck me, how dense can you be?

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By Kibblez

I doubt it's as bad as you think but Ryan especially does come off pretty arrogant sometimes. I kinda agree with the OP in that I wouldn't really wanna hang around with people acting dickish to me, whether it's a joke or not. That kinda stuff gets tiresome quick. But then again, what do we know..

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By Gabriel

People seem to have forgot Lemon's farwell letter to Ryan, you know the one on the happy hour where he was drunk with Dave. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@Gabriel said:
People seem to have forgot Lemon's farwell letter to Ryan, you know the one on the happy hour where he was drunk with Dave. 
That Happy Hour made me think Ryan was a genuinely super nice guy. 

Also I'm guessing OP has never been employed before.
CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By CarpetRemnant

I think it's mostly an act, he probably enjoys seeing threads like these :P 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#76  Edited By KarlPilkington
@Gabriel said:
Can you remember which one that was?
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#77  Edited By swoxx
@Vager said:

Ryan has always acted like a dick. Every intern had to deal with it from what I have seen/heard. All this is reminding me of a Bombcast a year or two ago when Jeff told Ryan "This is why you get threads asking why your such a dick". I believe he had to squelch the rumors about him hating Brad on that same Bombcast.

Do you know which bombcast this was? I'd love to listen to it as i only have a vague memory of it. 

Also, the stfu on TNT was definitely not in jest. I usually like Ryan but i got a bad vibe several times on this tnt. Nothing major though, I still love WM and It's employees. 
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#78  Edited By isomeri

Before this TNT I'd never thought of Ryan as being an asshole. Yeah sure he's got a bit of a short temper sometimes, and he can be really direct with his criticism. But Ryan also has a lot on his shoulders when it comes to hosting the Bombcast, Happy Hour and TNT almost every week. I'm sure that the E3 pressure is already starting to pile up, and Drew deciding not to show up probably didn't cheer up his day either. It's easy to say that playing video games all day is such an easy job and that the people of Whiskey shouldn't have anything to complain about. But being on camera for extended periods of time can be extremely stressful. Hot lights burning you up for some two hours, having to represent yourself well for that time and on top of that stressing out over all of the technical aspects of the show. I'm sure that the guys at Whiskey do have a lot of fun making these shows, but at the end of the day it's a job like any other job. Even an amazing job can bring you absolutely shitty days! Most of us are just lucky enough to not have cameras in our faces on those shitty days recording every small sign of temper, and message boards like this where afterwards people analyze every second of your "performance" to detect cracks into your mood. 

All that said, the "Shut the fuck up!"  comment was unprofessional and a mistake. But even true professionals make mistakes like this.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79  Edited By Stealthoneill

Ryan is Ryan, he plays against the others - Especially Vinny - Really well. Vinny is well spoken, polite and seems to shy in to the background a little. Then in comes Ryan - BANG -Opinionated, loud and forceful. The crew of four works well together and creates a nice dynamic on shows and podcasts. it seems to be the reason Ryan hosts a lot, he isn't shy and knows how to carry himself well on camera.  

Oh and interns sign up for shit. That's part of the position and always has been.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Slaker117

I like how many people are talking as if they know Ryan personally.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#81  Edited By Sambambo

This is what all the fuss is about...

If he meant it in a way to offend (which I highly doubt) then there must have been a reason.

The guys usually give stick to the interns on camera, why is this such an issue?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By isomeri
@Slaker117 said:
It is kind of ridiculous, but the personalities of the Whiskey Crew are a big part of the "soul" of the sites. The fact that the people behind the websites are not just some faceless automatons, but are in fact very human is a huge part of the marketing of the Whiskey. This is what differentiates Giant Bomb and the other Whiskey sites from their competitors. Even though Whiskey Media is a corporation just like IGN Entertainment for example, they have been very successful in creating a more personal experience for the user which fuels a sense of unity and makes all the community aspects of the site much more appealing.
vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vitor
@JJOR64 said:
They are probably treating them like crap on camera for shits and giggles.  No harm intended.
I totally bet that's the case.  

They've been pretty frank and open about stuff with Lemon and Kessler and it all seemed like it was in good fun. Even when they took it a little too close to heart, Ryan was always quick to apologise and admit to feeling guilty about it as it was totally unintended. 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Slaker117
@isomeri: I agree, but it's not like we see into their personal lives and know how they conduct themselves on a more daily bias. We get windows to their personalities and while it feels pretty genuine, they know they are on camera and surely hold some stuff back and play for show. I really don't think the average user has enough information to judge Ryan's actions in a meaningful way.
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Aetheldod

Internship does not = to be treated like crap , can't believe you guys saying that it is ok to treat a fellow human like that because of his job position , I wouldn't take crap like that to be honest and never in my job life I had to face crap like that , and wouldn't allow it. 

Edit: before people says so , I understand that while on live shows is a jest routine

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#86  Edited By swoxx
@isomeri said:
@Slaker117 said:
It is kind of ridiculous, but the personalities of the Whiskey Crew are a big part of the "soul" of the sites. The fact that the people behind the websites are not just some faceless automatons, but are in fact very human is a huge part of the marketing of the Whiskey. This is what differentiates Giant Bomb and the other Whiskey sites from their competitors. Even though Whiskey Media is a corporation just like IGN Entertainment for example, they have been very successful in creating a more personal experience for the user which fuels a sense of unity and makes all the community aspects of the site much more appealing.
Well said, I completely agree.
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By isomeri
@Slaker117 said:
@isomeri: I agree, but it's not like we see into their personal lives and know how they conduct themselves on a more daily bias. We get windows to their personalities and while it feels pretty genuine, they know they are on camera and surely hold some stuff back and play for show. I really don't think the average user has enough information to judge Ryan's actions in a meaningful way.
You'r totally right. The personalities we see are much more characters than real people, although I dream and hope that Rorie behaves the same way in his daily life.
Amducious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Amducious

Meh, Ryan is a self confessed dick when it comes to interns...see the happy hour when it was done through a laptop webcam at the start of the year. I get the impression its all light hearted though.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By valrog

Don't you people have anything better to do than to be obsessed with Giant Bomb crew?

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Mikewrestler5

It's because Jeff, Ryan, and Brad are all elitists.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Dylabaloo
@Claude said:
@Sir_Ragnarok said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Sir_Ragnarok said:

@Gillard said:
I never said I like him the scrub league definitely convinced me of that..
Dudewhat. 

You don't like someone you've never met, who's made one bad on-air joke?  

People. Geez.
I don't like Hitler, and we never met....
Godwin's Law, everybody. 
Looked up Godwin's Law up and this came up. 

Damn I love Stephen Fry and QI, thanks for sharing that!
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
@BestUsernameEver said:
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
@Gillard said:
I never said I like him the scrub league definitely convinced me of that..
Dudewhat. 

You don't like someone you've never met, who's made one bad on-air joke?  

People. Geez.
I don't like Hitler, and we never met....
Godwin's Law, everybody. 
Ok, I hate Stalin too, and we never met.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Commando
@JJOR64 said:
They are probably treating them like crap on camera for shits and giggles.  No harm intended.
This is exactly what I think.
williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By williamhenry
@Kibblez said:
I doubt it's as bad as you think but Ryan especially does come off pretty arrogant sometimes. I kinda agree with the OP in that I wouldn't really wanna hang around with people acting dickish to me, whether it's a joke or not. That kinda stuff gets tiresome quick. But then again, what do we know..
You have never joked like that with any of your friends? People are taking this shit way too seriously. They act as if it was Corey's first day and he had no prior relationship whatsoever to Ryan. If Ryan was really some huge dick, Kessler and Lemon wouldn't both be coming back, and nobody in the Whiskey offices would want to work with him.

@isomeri said:
Before this TNT I'd never thought of Ryan as being an asshole. Yeah sure he's got a bit of a short temper sometimes, and he can be really direct with his criticism. But Ryan also has a lot on his shoulders when it comes to hosting the Bombcast, Happy Hour and TNT almost every week. I'm sure that the E3 pressure is already starting to pile up, and Drew deciding not to show up probably didn't cheer up his day either. It's easy to say that playing video games all day is such an easy job and that the people of Whiskey shouldn't have anything to complain about. But being on camera for extended periods of time can be extremely stressful. Hot lights burning you up for some two hours, having to represent yourself well for that time and on top of that stressing out over all of the technical aspects of the show. I'm sure that the guys at Whiskey do have a lot of fun making these shows, but at the end of the day it's a job like any other job. Even an amazing job can bring you absolutely shitty days! Most of us are just lucky enough to not have cameras in our faces on those shitty days recording every small sign of temper, and message boards like this where afterwards people analyze every second of your "performance" to detect cracks into your mood.  All that said, the "Shut the fuck up!"  comment was unprofessional and a mistake. But even true professionals make mistakes like this.
Did you watch TNT? Drew and Brad are out of the country on assignment. Drew didn't just not show up. Ryan forgot about them leaving when he scheduled Dirt 3 for last week.
Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#96  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Ryan comes off as a huge dick, especially to interns. There's a difference between joking around stuff like Jeff does, but Ryan crosses the line. This wasn't the first time. Why I would never want to work for him.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm full of win.