Is a movie bad if you enjoyed it?

Masterherox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I think we can all agree that movies like "The room" or "Birdemic" are really, really bad. However, as much as people go about calling them the worst movies ever, many people also enjoy these movies. Are they bad movies? Absolutely. Are they occasionally more enjoyable than movies that are put together in a better way? I certainly believe so.

Does being a terrible, yet enjoyable film get a free pass or does it have to be looked at from what the director intended? Is it possible for a movie that many people enjoyed to be classified among the worst ever produced? Or is it useless to try and use one barometer here, and instead necessitate separate ideas of what the "best" and "worst" aspects of a movie are?

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

The way I think of it is things are objectively good/bad and subjectively good/bad.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

One can enjoy a movie because it is bad, but enjoyment of a movie does not make it bad.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By WickedFather

I think we can agree: what a shit question.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can enjoy something for being bad, no one looks at a super dumb movie like the resident evil series and says they're genuinely good for making them laugh at the screen.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#6 gamer_152  Moderator

The only thing that makes things good or bad is peoples' subjective enjoyment of them. You can say that a movie is critically acclaimed, or has a big following, or was made with a lot of talent and care, or any of those other things, but whether something is "Good" or "Bad" is not written in stone, and peoples' opinions can't be dictated. If you enjoyed a movie, well then, you think that's a good movie.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The only thing that makes things good or bad is peoples' subjective enjoyment of them. You can say that a movie is critically acclaimed, or has a big following, or was made with a lot of talent and care, or any of those other things, but whether something is "Good" or "Bad" is not written in stone, and peoples' opinions can't be dictated. If you enjoyed a movie, well then, you think that's a good movie.

You're saying that Birdemic is a good movie if someone enjoyed it?

Opinions can't be dictated, but knowing the difference between, say, good and bad acting or camerawork can. I don't necessarily think there's a true objective measure by which we can judge things (i.e. there's no singular "best and worst movie"), but there is knowing and understanding the difference between enjoying a movie and appreciating its merits and/or criticizing its flaws. Same goes for pretty much everything.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 jeanluc  Staff

@masterherox: If you enjoy this kind of conversations you should watch Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Trolls 2. Its really good and touches on stuff like this.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whenever someone asks a question like this I point them to Miami Connection. The movie is terrible, but god damn if it isn't entertaining.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Ben_H  Online

MIA I'M A COP

So to answer the question, yes, they can be bad even if you enjoyed them. The Fast and the Furious is incredibly dumb but the dumbness is almost endearing at times.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes is still bad .... but maybe it may not be all that bad , its yer job to change peoples opinions if you care enough.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's hard to enjoy bad things, so if you are enjoying a "bad" movie...it isn't that bad!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

No. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people say they like bad movies. If you like it and had fun watching it then it was not bad.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine when people say they like bad movies. If you like it and had fun watching it then it was not bad.

How so? You can like something and also acknowledge its bad, especially if you like it for the wrong reasons. Many people like bad movies because they are unintentionally funny or they can still drift away in them and kill a few hours. Same thing goes for games, many people play bad games and enjoy them, but they still know there bad compared to others. Shades of grey is the better term for it i guess but most people just say its bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h: Too be honest I hated the first couple of fast and furious movies when they came out. Since the series decided to adopt a fuck it kind of approach to story telling, they have kind of grow on me.

Also I am just going to come out and say I liked Uwe Boll's Postal. Feels good to finally say it.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ramone

I like movies that I recognise as being bad but not because they're bad, does this make me a horrible person?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamer_152  Moderator

@believer258 said:

@gamer_152 said:

Opinions can't be dictated, but knowing the difference between, say, good and bad acting or camerawork can. I don't necessarily think there's a true objective measure by which we can judge things (i.e. there's no singular "best and worst movie"), but there is knowing and understanding the difference between enjoying a movie and appreciating its merits and/or criticizing its flaws. Same goes for pretty much everything.

Okay, this is something that's been debated before, but I'm saying there can be no universal dictation of what any movie is. You can say that camerawork was skilled or unskilled, that acting was talented or untalented, but "Good" and "Bad" are subjective terms, and so they inherently describe personal opinions.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Define "bad".

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Hunter5024

If I enjoy a movie then I think it is good, if I do not enjoy it then I think it is bad. I don't see why it needs to be more complicated then that. Are people so self conscious that they can't admit to liking a stupid movie without claiming it's some ironic appreciation?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can enjoy things and still recognize their shortcomings subjectively (a game example would be Just Cause 2...it's one of my favorite games this generation, but I still recognize that its story is shit and its gunplay is incredibly weak). Similarly, I can recognize that something is subjectively good but still not enjoy or appreciate it (for instance, I can comprehend why 2001: A Space Odyssey is a well made, landmark film, but its subjective quality doesn't stop me from really disliking it).

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Synapses fire and shit happens. That moment when it feels right? Might not happen again or every fucking time again and again. Oh wait, it's over. Wait for it....there it is again/over/again

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Well, Toys was a bad movie, but I didn't think so.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@gamer_152 said:

@believer258 said:

@gamer_152 said:

Okay, this is something that's been debated before, but I'm saying there can be no universal dictation of what any movie is. You can say that camerawork was skilled or unskilled, that acting was talented or untalented, but "Good" and "Bad" are subjective terms, and so they inherently describe personal opinions.

That sounds more along the lines of "like and dislike" and not "good and bad".

There's not a universal dictation on what any movie is, but there is an understanding of things that can make a movie good, and things that can make a movie bad. The way you've put it, "talent" isn't something that's recognizable, except maybe by popularity, in which case Michael Bay would be one of the best filmmakers of the last ten years.

It's not a binary "everyone will call this good, everyone will call this bad" kind of thing, I'm just saying that you can have a good argument over whether something is good or bad and Birdemic will, in any reasonable argument, always come out as "bad". Possibly "enjoyable" and "likeable". But not "good". That this page exists ought to be proof enough that something bad can be enjoyable. EDIT:

I can enjoy things and still recognize their shortcomings subjectively (a game example would be Just Cause 2...it's one of my favorite games this generation, but I still recognize that its story is shit and its gunplay is incredibly weak). Similarly, I can recognize that something is subjectively good but still not enjoy or appreciate it (for instance, I can comprehend why 2001: A Space Odyssey is a well made, landmark film, but its subjective quality doesn't stop me from really disliking it).

This, in a nutshell, is exactly what I'm talking about.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you like a bad movie?, bad is a negative not a positive. You can like cheap, cheesy or shallow films if you desire though.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamer_152  Moderator

@believer258: See, to me that quote shows what's wrong with this kind of thinking. If you look up the definition of subjectivity, you can see it reads "Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions", so to say that something is subjectively good, while simultaneously saying that personally you don't enjoy it is a contradiction. You can say that people in general consider something good, while simultaneously saying you don't personally, but I can see that's obviously not what you're getting at either. I think if you look at the works people have classified as "Good" and "Bad" over history, you'll see that they're considered that way because of how much people enjoyed them. There are no real works of art or entertainment out there where people are going "Well, I hated it, and the audiences and critics hated it, but it was a good, right guys?". This is a subjective judgement.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Those Resident Evil movies are terrible. And I love them.

...though that's only because they're dumb fun with friends. I don't "enjoy" bad movies in an ironic way. Like, I'm not freaking out about "Sharknado."

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way I see it, there are fun movies, good movies and bad movies. Good movies are technically brilliant movies, fun movies are bad movies that I enjoy watching (even if not as much as a legitimately good movie) and bad movies are just movies I can't stand to watch at all.

I would class something like the Resident Evil movies as a fun movie.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: See, to me that quote shows what's wrong with this kind of thinking. If you look up the definition of subjectivity, you can see it reads "Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions", so to say that something is subjectively good, while simultaneously saying that personally you don't enjoy it is a contradiction. You can say that people in general consider something good, while simultaneously saying you don't personally, but I can see that's obviously not what you're getting at either. I think if you look at the works people have classified as "Good" and "Bad" over history, you'll see that they're considered that way because of how much people enjoyed them. There are no real works of art or entertainment out there where people are going "Well, I hated it, and the audiences and critics hated it, but it was a good, right guys?". This is a subjective judgement.

But I didn't bring up the word "subjectivity". I did bring up the word "objective" and said that there's no absolute objective measure by which something is factually good or bad, but you can criticize something and bring up points about what is good and what is bad about a piece of art.

By your line of thinking, average Joe who enjoys cheesy action movies is as equally qualified to judge movies as Roger Ebert was simply because he enjoyed it. The two are not equally qualified to judge movies. Average Joe will tell you that an action movie was awesome because he thought the scenes looked cool. Roger Ebert might have told you that this same action movie had good action scenes, like a well-made car chase or a martial arts scene where the viewer could keep up with what was going on, but the plot made no sense and the actors either didn't care or couldn't act, that the lines the actors were given didn't make much sense, that the camerawork was, that the one-liners weren't timed well, that the shakycam used throughout the movie was to its detriment, etc. There's some subjectivity to these things, yes, but again we're not talking about binary things here.

But maybe I just can't bring myself to believe that popularity is the only measure of quality, because then Twilight is actually good, CoD is the greatest FPS on Earth, and Shin Megami Tensei is just some shit turn based RPG by a niche developer currently owned by a bankrupt company in Japan. And that's not true, because there are authors that write more sensible plots and cover more worthwhile themes than Twilight, there are FPS games that are better-paced than CoD's "always on" action, and Shin Megami Tensei games are by no stretch of the imagination "shit".

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scrawnto

A badly written movie can be enjoyable. In that sense it can be both bad and good. Movies are composed of many parts, and they are usually a mix of good and bad.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanluc: That was a great documentary. Watched it a year or so ago. The guy seems like the world's nicest gent, but man does he live in that moment.

----

A bad movie is still a bad movie. I enjoy watching bad movies, but nothing will ever make them good. My enjoyment does not change that.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By falserelic

I guess this movie takes the cake. Guy gets bit by a spider, gets super-human abilities, tries to be a super hero, but ends up slowly becoming a giant spider, and yeah you can guess the rest. It was cheesy but fun to watch.

Loading Video...

Ending was kinda sad though...