• 48 results
#1 Edited by mordukai (7157 posts) -

Some very sad news for us Giantbomb metal fans. Jeff Hanneman Died this morning from a liver failure. I am seriously bummed out about ithis. Sad sad weekend I am going to have here.

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

#2 Posted by cmblasko (1282 posts) -

That really sucks to hear.

#3 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

yes it is. Last interview I saw with King, he was talking about the new album they were working on. I hope they will at least finish that, but if they decided to call it quits then I'll be ok with that.

#4 Edited by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

Man, the day metal died.

#5 Posted by csl316 (8972 posts) -

First thing I saw when I got home. Shocked. Then Seasons in the Abyss got a full play. Sad times.

#6 Edited by BigJeffrey (5077 posts) -

IVE been blasting some South Of Heaven All Day, Show No Mercy - Black Magic made me mosh in my room. Sad to see one of these dudes go.

I like Slayer

#7 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Fuck.

Since it's 2:30am now, I will have to wait until the morning to celebrate his life through tribute.

This sucks.

#8 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

The worst news

RIP

#9 Edited by cmblasko (1282 posts) -

@mordukai said:

@cmblasko said:

yes it is. Last interview I saw with King, he was talking about the new album they were working on. I hope they will at least finish that, but if they decided to call it quits then I'll be ok with that.

I would like to see them finish the album, but I'd totally understand if they stopped touring afterwards.

#10 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Whoa. I haven't kept up with Slayer since... oh, ever, but apparently Jeff Hanneman had necrotizing fasciitis. That's pretty insane. It also seems kind of ironic, considering the band had a number of songs about decaying flesh, including "Dead Skin Mask."

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan, it's a very sad day. One of the fathers of the genre for sure. RIP.

#12 Edited by Kill (298 posts) -

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan,

>metal fan

>doesn't listen to Slayer

What is this madness... I downloaded the Slayer discography a few days ago for some gym motivation, now I'll definitely keep it on rotation. RIP.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@kill said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Don't listen to Slayer but as a metal fan,

>metal fan

>doesn't listen to Slayer

What is this madness... I downloaded the Slayer discography a few days ago for some gym motivation, now I'll definitely keep it on rotation. RIP.

I'm more into the European side of metal. No idea why.

#14 Posted by Jams (2962 posts) -
#15 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Slayer is my all time favorite band and my heart sunk when I heard the news earlier today. Jeff wrote some of the greatest metal songs of all time. R.I.P duder.

#16 Edited by Daneian (1245 posts) -

Both his wife and sister were named Kathy?

#17 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Not a fan of Slayer by any means but I'm sure it sucks for those who have ties to the band.

#18 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

Yeah, this is fucking heartbreaking news. I've never really been much of a Slayer fan but I have massive respect and appreciation for what they have done for metal. Hanneman was an undeniable legend and he will be missed.

It's been a particularly shitty month for musicians. I'm still not really over Chi Cheng's death.

#19 Edited by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Not only heartbreaking news, but shocking as well. It's a shitty way to go for a man who brought so much to a genre. Anyone who is really into Slayer knows the importance of Hanneman in the band, as he was their primary songwriter. He was hands down one of the best metal writers to ever live, and his loss is a massive blow in what has already been a heavy year for metal.

How fucked is it that Dio and Hanneman are both gone...but the goddamn Rolling Stones still keep getting to tour? I'd trade Richards for Hanneman any day of the week.

RIP Jeff.

#20 Edited by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

Been listening to good old Slayer all day after reading this terrible news on Facebook.

He will live on through this unique catalogue of music he wrote and co-wrote over the decades. RIP.

Definitely pouring one out for him tonight..

#21 Edited by Rafaelfc (1382 posts) -

Godamn spiders!!!! Why can't you go track down some crap pop artists instead?!!?!?

Dio and Hannemann both gone, yet Bieber still lives and breathes, what world is this we live in??

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (5032 posts) -

:(

#23 Posted by Stonyman65 (2765 posts) -

In honor of him i spent most of last night listening to the Reign in Blood album in it's entirety while reading about the SS and Nazi war criminals. A fitting end.

Rest in Peace Jeff.

#24 Edited by Stonyman65 (2765 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Not only heartbreaking news, but shocking as well. It's a shitty way to go for a man who brought so much to a genre. Anyone who is really into Slayer knows the importance of Hanneman in the band, as he was their primary songwriter. He was hands down one of the best metal writers to ever live, and his loss is a massive blow in what has already been a heavy year for metal.

How fucked is it that Dio and Hanneman are both gone...but the goddamn Rolling Stones still keep getting to tour? I'd trade Richards for Hanneman any day of the week.

RIP Jeff.

Fuckin' A.

#25 Edited by Svenzon (722 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

Godamn spiders!!!! Why can't you go track down some crap pop artists instead?!!?!?

Dio and Hannemann both gone, yet Bieber still lives and breathes, what world is this we live in??

Wishing death upon people just because you don't like their music? Yeah, I wonder what kind of fucking world we live in.

#26 Posted by Rafaelfc (1382 posts) -

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

Wishing death upon people just because you don't like their music? Yeah, I wonder what kind of fucking world we live in.

Hey, I didn't wish death upon anyone.

I meant that I find it a cruel injustice that 2 of the most talented musicians ever are both gone, whereas talentless hacks seem to live forever.

#27 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Does it seem weird to anybody else that Hanneman died of liver failure, but everybody seems to be focusing on his necrotizing fasciitis, a disease that has nothing to do with the liver? I mean, he was cured of it two years ago, when he had one of his arms removed.

My guess is that he fell into a depression and drank himself to death. Does anybody know if he was much of a drinker?

#28 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

Does it seem weird to anybody else that Hanneman died of liver failure, but everybody seems to be focusing on his necrotizing fasciitis, a disease that has nothing to do with the liver? I mean, he was cured of it two years ago, when he had one of his arms removed.

He did not have his arm removed, dude. He had skin grafts to replace the infected flesh.

#29 Edited by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

@jrinswand said:

He did not have his arm removed, dude. He had skin grafts to replace the infected flesh.

My bad. I must have misread an article somewhere. I also did some more reading in some science databases. The "spider bite" thing sounds like bullshit. Apparently, people who have chronic liver disease (such as cirrhosis of the liver) are at a much greater risk of developing necrotizing fasciitis. Necrotizing fasciitis is a symptom of liver failure, not a cause. So why is everybody spinning it as if it has something to do with a spider bite?

It just sounds fishy to me.

#30 Posted by Ben_H (3383 posts) -

Really sad news. Never been much of a Slayer fan (I'm more of a European metal guy) but I have always respected him. He was hugely influential in metal in the 80s and still is today.

#31 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1788 posts) -

@onekillwonder_ said:

@jrinswand said:

My bad. I must have misread an article somewhere. I also did some more reading in some science databases. The "spider bite" thing sounds like bullshit. Apparently, people who have chronic liver disease (such as cirrhosis of the liver) are at a much greater risk of developing necrotizing fasciitis. Necrotizing fasciitis is a symptom of liver failure, not a cause. So why is everybody spinning it as if it has something to do with a spider bite?

It just sounds fishy to me.

It happened, like you said, 2 years ago. He was in a hot tub and noticed a bite from what looked like a spider on his arm. Not soon after his skin started to burn and he went to the hospital. You can read about the story online. I have no idea how or even if the bite could be related to his liver failure, so I won't jump to any conclusions. More than likely, it's from years and years of hard drinking. That shit catches up to you sooner or later. Either way, it sucks and it's real sad to hear about.

#32 Edited by ThomasG666 (154 posts) -

RIP.

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

I meant that I find it a cruel injustice that 2 of the most talented musicians ever are both gone, whereas talentless hacks seem to live forever.

Well I mean...Bieber is 19. Saying he's seemingly lived forever is nonsense. And, as cruel as it may seem, it's hardly surprising that hard partying, old-school rockers die of stuff like liver failure. Dio was stomach cancer so that was a shock but when I first heard Hanneman died the first thing I thought of was "liver failure?" Sadly, it's no longer surprising to see my favorite musicians die from liver failure because quite a few of them are getting up their in years and their time spent partying like mad men is catching up to them. Yeah, Bieber's music sucks and the dude seems like a complete tool but of course these middle aged (and now some are elderly...christ) men are dying before him. I wouldn't wish death on the kid for anything. Even if it meant bringing the GREAT John Bonham back.

#34 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6399 posts) -

I wish I could say I knew who this guy was, but I don't. Sad regardless.

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Guitarist and Songwriter for Slayer. Regarded as one of the most important men in Metal.

#36 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

wow that sucks. it's sad to hear about that. i'm at least happy that i got to see them at least once.

#37 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6399 posts) -

@godlyawesomeguy said:

Guitarist and Songwriter for Slayer. Regarded as one of the most important men in Metal.

Oh, that explains it. Metal music really isn't my jam at all.

#38 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

Not really a slayer fan but listened to Reign in Blood all day on loop. Fuck that album is so good. RIP.

#39 Edited by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

I assume you mean Slayer's discography. ZING!

#40 Edited by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

@svenzon said:

@rafaelfc said:

Isn't Bieber like 12 or something?

#41 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

I heard about this last night and it fucking hit home, dude was the inspiration for me to start playing guitar and before that Slayer was the first extreme metal I got into. Wish I had gotten to meet him, but his music will always stay on my frequently played. Too soon for metal to lose one of the biggest influences ever.

#43 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -

@siroptimusprime: Decade of Aggression has been on an endless loop over here. I think I am starting to piss off my neighbors.

Never got to see the the original line up live, or any lineup for that matte, so I guess that's as close as I am going to get because I have a feeling they are gonna call it quits.

#45 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2190 posts) -

I guess he's up there rocking with Hitler now...

#47 Posted by FesteringNeon (2164 posts) -

\m/ thrash metal for life!

#48 Edited by rflx (577 posts) -

I don't even know how to process that comment.

#49 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

His music is the reason I got into metal. He'll be missed in the metal community more than anyone so far in my book.

#50 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@rflx said:

@dallas_raines said:

I don't even know how to process that comment.

Yeah, he wasn't a Nazi. Collecting Nazi memorabilia does not a Nazi make. Even as someone who's not a Slayer fan (but I respect what they've done for Metal, obviously.) I know they've publicly denounced Nazism and racism several times. Hell, I know several people who have Nazi memorabilia (my very liberal uncle has an SS uniform along with some Luftwaffe stuff.), it's just an astonishingly disturbing, profound and fascinating subject among history fans.