Jon Stewart's Gimmick

• 108 results
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

He seems to think that staring at the camera for an extended period of time after cracking wise and waiting for the audience to supplement with awkward laughter is a right hoot. It was funny twice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I find comedic pauses funny.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has their own thing. I don't like watching his show, but basically the face is a signal that the joke is over and it's time to laugh. Even if you find something funny, you're not likely to just bust out laughing right? It keeps the audience involved and prevents the need for stuff like a "laugh now" sign.

That said, Stewart is kind of lame. Colbert is much funnier.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The people in the audience laugh because they're expected to laugh. Everyone around them is doing it, so they do it too.

I don't know anyone who actually genuinely finds his material funny.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger

THE INTERNET

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

The people in the audience laugh because they're expected to laugh. Everyone around them is doing it, so they do it too.

Uhh I find Jon Stewart funny. I find his combination of political satire and dumb jokes to be entertaining and enjoy watching him do his shtick.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

I'll raise my hand and say "I enjoy The Daily Show."

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SharkEthic

@erhard said:

I'll raise my hand right along with you. I genuinely enjoy The Daily Show a lot.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9 MattyFTM  Moderator

I find Jon Stewarts pauses to be very Laurel & Hardy-like. And Laurel & Hardy were comedic geniuses, so there are certainly worse things he could be doing.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

I used to like Jon Stewart - back when he was drier, more sarcastic and less "funny-faces" and "meme-jokes". I think Colbert has surpassed him in every way. He needs to go back to how he was during the '05-'06 period when he was at his height.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

I find him pretty good most of the time but like any routine that goes on for extended periods of time the effect lessens exponentially as the show keeps on truckin. I find him funniest when he's simply making intelligent observations rather than making funny voices or faces. He's an intelligent guy and doesn't need to play up the crowd nearly as much.

zzzleepy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

I'll raise my hand right along with you. I genuinely enjoy The Daily Show a lot.

Another hand raised here. I know lots of people that enjoy it, as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I haven't watched regularly since 2008 (because I prefer a Daily Show that is critical of government), but I don't remember him overdoing it then.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Don't forget old French Stewart.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

I don't always laugh out loud at his material, but I always enjoy watching the daily show. I have more of a continuous laid back enjoyment throughout the show, rather than a moment to moment laughfest. I will say however, that I think Colbert is a lot more generally "funny".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: French Stewart's gimmick is never opening his eyes.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexanderSheen
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

I don't always laugh out loud at his material, but I always enjoy watching the daily show. I have more of a continuous laid back enjoyment throughout the show, rather than a moment to moment laughfest. I will say however, that I think Colbert is a lot more generally "funny".

And another hand raised.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love the idea that a drawn out comedic pause is somehow specifically Jon Stewart's gimmick, and not a thing that loads of comedians do and have done for donkeys years.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched regularly since 2008 (because I prefer a Daily Show that is critical of government), but I don't remember him overdoing it then.

He has a lot of fodder nowadays, and he's not pulling punches.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jon Stewart = Good guy

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Stewart is clearly a liberal, but that really doesn't stop him from pulling punches every time the Obama regime does dumb shit. He's spent a lot of time eviscerating how they fucked up the whole Obamacare website launch to a point where the mainstream news channels were doing a lot of "this has been so bad that EVEN Jon Stewart has been criticising Obama". Which is a dumb comment from people who haven't paid much attention to his many critiques of a far from perfect government.

So yeah, I still like and enjoy The Daily Show. I also like the use of comedic pauses. So hey. There you go.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Jon Stewart is a fucking legend. I won't stand for this filth.

Pocky4Th3Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love The Daily Show, DVR every episode and watch every episode. I do wish they would have given John Oliver a show on CC with Colbert and Stewart. Would have made a great Trilogy of Comedy Gold.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krullban

@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

Me too, and now I find the original post in this quote tree to be funny.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I actually prefer Stewart to Colbert - for whatever reason Colbert's act comes off as more dismissive to opposing points of view - or maybe the points of view he attacks are more legitimate (in my mind) than the easier targets the Daily Show usually chooses.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

My feelings are similar; I enjoy both shows though Colbert does seem to be more funny more often.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

NONE OF YOU ACTUALLY FIND ANY OF HIS MATERIAL FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST CONFORMISTS. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!? OR ARE YOU THAT MUCH IN DENIAL!?

(Is the counterpoint I pulled out of my ass.)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By colourful_hippie

@humanity said:

I find him pretty good most of the time but like any routine that goes on for extended periods of time the effect lessens exponentially as the show keeps on truckin. I find him funniest when he's simply making intelligent observations rather than making funny voices or faces. He's an intelligent guy and doesn't need to play up the crowd nearly as much.

Yeah, I feel the same way, although I like Colbert more now.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BaneFireLord

He's been far, far more critical of government as of late (at least to my eyes). Might be worth checking out again if you've been off the wagon for a while.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

Isn't this generally why laugh tracks were invented, so everyone knows when to laugh at the jokes? A lot of American TV does this and it can drive me bananas at times.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean he's no Hal Jordan.

Yeah, I know that's John Stewart, not Jon Stewart.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By afabs515

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

NONE OF YOU ACTUALLY FIND ANY OF HIS MATERIAL FUNNY. YOU'RE JUST CONFORMISTS. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!? OR ARE YOU THAT MUCH IN DENIAL!?

Hand raised. But I agree that Colbert is funnier most of the time.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah OP all good comedians talk through the punchlines of their jokes and don't let the audience respond or give emphasis to punchlines by pausing.

How's your stand up career going you must be great.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AngriGhandi

The only problem with The Daily Show is that Comedy Central's web player is a goddamn abomination.

Also most of the interviews aren't really worth it. -And a lot of the correspondents' skits.

But you're almost always getting at least ten minutes of quality info-tainment at the beginning there! And I appreciate that.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped watching when Craig Kilborn left.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By altairre

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

Another conformist that raises his hand in favor of the Daily Show. I have only started to watch it fairly recently so I can see how it might get old but at the moment I'm enjoying it a lot even if the quality fluctuates quite a bit.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#39  Edited By pyromagnestir

I love The Daily Show, but I know of the moments you speak of and I can see why someone would find them annoying. They don't bother me, though.

@veektarius said:

I actually prefer Stewart to Colbert - for whatever reason Colbert's act comes off as more dismissive to opposing points of view - or maybe the points of view he attacks are more legitimate (in my mind) than the easier targets the Daily Show usually chooses.

That's because Colbert is playing a character who represents the worst of the "selfish ignorant republican blowhard" stereotype whereas Jon Stewart is just being himself, a liberal, but generally somewhat open to hear the other side out even if he thinks they're wrong.

But because Colbert's playing a character it gives him a bit more room to be funny on his own by saying and doing outrageous things, whereas Stewart and The Daily Show are funniest when the story they are covering is a funny story, like all the Anthony Wiener stuff or the Rob Ford stuff, and they get to riff on it.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with you guys. John Stewart for President.

No Caption Provided

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I prefer Stewart over Colbert as well, which is weird cause I was the exact opposite like 5 years ago.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: Stewart has been one of the most vocal critics of the rollout of Obamacare. The difference is that, unlike the complete morons on Fox, he's not gleefully obsessed with it's shortcomings. Just because he's liberal doesn't mean he puts up with stupidity from the left. He's always been fair when it comes to pointing out absurdities. The right just so happens to be the bigger absurdity producer since 2000.

And yeah, OP, I'm going to be honest. If you think this is a thing that Jon Stewart does, rather than a thing all comedians do, you may want to watch more good standup. Every comedian will tell you that the pause for laughter is an essential part of the comedic timing. They'll also probably personally sing praises about Jon Stewart because he really is one of the best.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Nah, you don't quite get what I'm saying. Of course I realize that Colbert is an act, but the act is in itself dismissive of the views he is parodying, which are not always as stupid as he makes them sound.

I love The Daily Show, but I know of the moments you speak of and I can see why someone would find them annoying. They don't bother me, though.

@veektarius said:

That's because Colbert is playing a character who represents the worst of the "selfish ignorant republican blowhard" stereotype whereas Jon Stewart is just being himself, a liberal, but generally somewhat open to hear the other side out even if he thinks they're wrong.

But because Colbert's playing a character it gives him a bit more room to be funny on his own by saying and doing outrageous things, whereas Stewart and The Daily Show are funniest when the story they are covering is a funny story, like all the Anthony Wiener stuff or the Rob Ford stuff, and they get to riff on it.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

Another conformist that raises his hand in favor of the Daily Show. I have only started to watch it fairly recently so I can see how it might get old but at the moment I'm enjoying it a lot even if the quality fluctuates quite a bit.

You guys are a bunch of goddamn sheep. Wait, who are we talking about? Jon Stewart? Oh yeah, that dudes funny I like him.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But what about laughing with republicans all the time that doesn't seem fair or does it ...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

So the internet hates John Stewart now because he tries to make the occasional funny face? Ok.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert to be equally funny but I prefer the structure of the Daily Show with it's correspondents and stuff. I don't watch Colbert every day but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have correspondents. Both are pretty funny most of the time but even when the jokes don't hit, they are still interesting. Their delivery and presentational style makes whatever they cover, more interesting.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

But what about laughing with republicans all the time that doesn't seem fair or does it ...

I've read this a few times and I still have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@altairre said:

@video_game_king said:

@starvinggamer said:

@krullban said:

@alexandersheen said:
@themanwithnoplan said:
@zzzleepy said:

@sharkethic said:

@toowalrus said:

@erhard said:

And another hand raised.

I'm Spartacus!

You guys are a bunch of goddamn sheep. Wait, who are we talking about? Jon Stewart? Oh yeah, that dudes funny I like him.

Yay quote pyramid. Jon Stewart was unfortunately not Prince John in Men in Tights, even though they look and sound exactly the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Even Jon Stewart is not New York Jew-y enough to be Richard Lewis.