Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Doctorchimp
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11937110     

Assange was arrested and brought into the Magistrates Court to answer for his rape charges from August. 

EDIT: Assange has been granted bail, but still remains in prison thanks to the Swedes appealing the court decision...keep in mind this is still on his "sex with no condom but consensual" criminal charge... also Michael Moore says he'll pay for his bail.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/14/julian-assange-bail-sweden      
http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/why-im-posting-bail-money

In case you wanted to see The Guardian live feed of the court events. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/07/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates  

Julian Assange wrote to The Australian, which everyone who was at least slightly interested should read.
 http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/mediadiary/index.php        

EDIT: Before I forget, here's a little tidbit I don't think everyone knows about one of the women who accused Assange of rape, even though it was consensual sex...
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/39394/julian-assanges-accuser-supposedly-tied-to-the-cia/
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By swoxx

Really...again? teh govmentz really want him off the streets eh

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

censorship

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Jost1

Wow the international community sure are committed to pursuing people accused of rape. I assume they're going to spend the same resources on every potential assault case from now on?  

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm not usually one to jump to "conspiracy theory".  But yeah..  they suddenly decided to arrest him for these alleged sex crimes just after the whole wikileaks thing became big news?  Why weren't they looking for him prior to this?  It's an absolute farce and I can't believe anyone could consider this justice.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp
@HitmanAgent47: @josty81: @WinterSnowblind: Well you can bet there are US agents right now trying to get the swedes to send Assange to the US as we sit here and type. I'm sure the rape charges won't even be brought up anymore.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jost1
@WinterSnowblind said:
" I'm not usually one to jump to "conspiracy theory".  But yeah..  they suddenly decided to arrest him for these alleged sex crimes just after the whole wikileaks thing became big news?  Why weren't they looking for him prior to this?  It's an absolute farce and I can't believe anyone could consider this justice. "
It's a mockery and a farce and every cliche in the book. It's fucking depressing to see how little we value freedom. not to mention the shameful things that have been said by American, Canadian and other politicians, calling for the assassination of people involved. It's revolting. 

Governments are here for the people and they damn well should be transparent.
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jost1
@Doctorchimp said:
" @HitmanAgent47: @josty81: @WinterSnowblind: Well you can bet there are US agents right now trying to get the swedes to send Assange to the US as we sit here and type. I'm sure the rape charges won't even be brought up anymore. "
Yeah this is a giant joke. But I'm not laughing sadly.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shiftymagician

Ooh developments!  Thanks for the heads up on this.  This will now turn into some real interesting events.  I wonder when the court hearing will happen.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

He'll be extradited to the US and die of 'natural causes'.  Poor bastard. :(

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ShiftyMagician: Most likely later today, however it was pretty civil. Assange surrendered to the cops to appear in court. I wouldn't put it past them to just ship him to Sweden to have the Swedes ship him to the US. 

I have no clue what sort of deal he had with them, or what his lawyer had in mind. Time will tell.
lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By lordbazuco

You know what, as messed up as it is for every government involved to be puling a stunt like this, I do agree that Asssange fucked up. I think he went a bit too far with his wiki leaks. especially when he released the names of the people in Afghanistan helping the U.S. I dunno, I'm rather surprised he isn't just killed, seeing how he fucked with Russia, America, and other countries too

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jost1
@Doctorchimp said:

" @ShiftyMagician: Most likely later today, however it was pretty civil. Assange surrendered to the cops to appear in court. I wouldn't put it past them to just ship him to Sweden to have the Swedes ship him to the US.  I have no clue what sort of deal he had with them, or what his lawyer had in mind. Time will tell. "

Isn't it wonderful! We can rest safely now, knowing that JUSTICE has been served.  JUSTICE!!
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Doctorchimp
@SeriouslyNow: WHAT?  

No no good sir, his plane will crash unexpectedly. They won't even bother making it clean. 

Or chances are they'll hold him in a location he actually leaked in between transfers and when it blows up due to "terror" good ol' Uncle Sam will sit there and tell all the little children, "see we knew we were right, just trust us!"
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

They will resurrect John Wilkes Booth so he can assassinate him. That's what happened to Tony Montana, Dumbledore, Tupac, Patrick Swayze and Bruce Lee.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jost1

I love how a lot of "small government" politicians are FURIOUS that someone is holding governments accountable

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Doctorchimp
@josty81: Thank god the only important one realizes what this is

Fucking Ron Paul, dude astounds me. 
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jost1
@Doctorchimp said:
" @josty81: Thank god the only important one realizes what this is Fucking Ron Paul, dude astounds me.  "
Yeah I don't often agree fully with the man but he's right on some key issues.
Kaigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Kaigan

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't leaking and spreading classified files still a crime, regardless of the intent behind it? 

Even if they're using the rape charges as an excuse to detain him for the leaks, he'll still be tried for a crime he committed. Why's this such a huge outrage?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Kaigan: You mean like freedom of the press?
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jost1
@Kaigan said:
" Pardon my ignorance, but isn't leaking and spreading classified files still a crime, regardless of the intent behind it?   Even if they're using the rape charges as an excuse to detain him for the leaks, he'll still be tried for a crime he committed. Why's this such a huge outrage? "
He's not been accused of anything to do with wikileaks but this is CLEARLY to do with all that. So that is EXTREMELY shady and we, as citizens of the world, should not take all this lightly. 

Unless of course you always trust the government and think they know best.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shiftymagician
@Kaigan said:
" Pardon my ignorance, but isn't leaking and spreading classified files still a crime, regardless of the intent behind it?   Even if they're using the rape charges as an excuse to detain him for the leaks, he'll still be tried for a crime he committed. Why's this such a huge outrage? "
It is a crime in the sense that your government stated that it was a crime.  Always remember that crimes are not naturally bad things depending on who defined the crimes themselves.  There are quite a few types of crimes that I question are even crimes at all, thus debating whether or not what he did was right or wrong, regardless if what he did was a defined crime is the real issue here amongst both American and non-American onlookers.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@josty81 said:
" @Kaigan said:
He's not been accused of anything to do with wikileaks but this is CLEARLY to do with all that. So that is EXTREMELY shady and we, as citizens of the world, should not take all this lightly.   Unless of course you always trust the government and think they know best. "

It's sad that the government can be so blatant about something. They know damn well a few people might make a fuss, but in 6 months everyone will be living their happy (hah!) lives and nobody will even know who Jullian Assange is (was?).
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Red12b

well, boo

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vodun
@Kaigan said:
Well, I'm unsure if this is how it actually works, but Wikileaks aren't the ones leaking they're merely printing. Ethically questionable in how they handle it, but not illegal. It's their source that's committing the crime.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ShiftyMagician: The problem that arises though is "freedom of the press" is (at least to me) the defining trait of America. 

The reason why that supersedes law is to inform people so that way they can make sound decisions about lawmaking. So when the government is banging on their drums for his head it becomes ironic.
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Kaigan said:
If what he was doing was illegal, they would be arresting him for it.  They're not, because they can't, so they've made up these charges as an excuse to detain him.  And this is after the Government tried to stop him by claiming the information was a matter of "National security" when it was simply a list of embarrassing notes they didn't want anyone to see.  Even if you think he should have been arrested for that, this is not how things are supposed to work and our governments, which are supposed to stand for freedom and justice, are massively abusing their power.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beej
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Kaigan said:
If what he was doing was illegal, they would be arresting him for it.  They're not, because they can't, so they've made up these charges as an excuse to detain him.  And this is after the Government tried to stop him by claiming the information was a matter of "National security" when it was simply a list of embarrassing notes they didn't want anyone to see.  Even if you think he should have been arrested for that, this is not how things are supposed to work and our governments, which are supposed to stand for freedom and justice, are massively abusing their power. "
Exactly, and that's the worst part! If they really did just send him to sweden where the whole rape charge was dealt with in Swedish courts, and that was the end of it, I'd have a lot less to complain about. But the fact that, in all likelihood, they are going to extradite him to the united states over rape charges that they will never bring up frustrates me.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shiftymagician
@Doctorchimp said:
" @ShiftyMagician: The problem that arises though is "freedom of the press" is (at least to me) the defining trait of America.  The reason why that supersedes law is to inform people so that way they can make sound decisions about lawmaking. So when the government is banging on their drums for his head it becomes ironic. "
That I agree with most definitely.  This is why the future events that will take place around this entire issue will be very, very interesting.
oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oysteinBrenne

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It doesn't really matter if they put Assange away, Wikileaks won't die.  

I love the irony of politicians in America speaking out against their own constitution. They can argue against the ethics of it all they want, Wikileaks has not broken the law in the US. When politicians and commentators say things like "every American should be insulted at the leaks" it insults every American and the American constitution. They are just Fascists.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Red12b
@Doctorchimp said:

" @ShiftyMagician: The problem that arises though is "freedom of the press" is (at least to me) the defining trait of America.  The reason why that supersedes law is to inform people so that way they can make sound decisions about lawmaking. So when the government is banging on their drums for his head it becomes ironic. "

Press and journalistic Media to the masses has been effectively dead since cable.  

The mob (Public) at large only care about their little world, and decry with their 5 minute attention span at whatever atrocity that is fed into their heads by news agency's, most of which is gossip, Only a few practise Journalistic integrity, you have to search for it.  
monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By monetarydread

I think this whole situation is kind of funny. If Julian Assange was going to be martyred then wikileaks would end up stronger than ever. The powers of evil have only one hope, that is to discredit him first to tarnish his name, then hopefully it does enough damage to kill wikileaks. 

Well, it's not really "Ha-ha" funny, it's more of a "they are being so obvious about it, funny."

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Red12b: Sometimes I think I find it and it turns out I should have kept looking. 

News quit being news when agendas and bias reared their ugly heads on these 24 hour "news" networks, we no longer receive information. Instead we get the opinions and takes of people who heard it from someone else that processed the information. Every time they ask for what "we're" thinking and to post updates on twitter to let them know, I cringe. 

I don't give a shit what a midwestern evangelical mom's take on something is nor do I care if the news station should even listen...it should just give me the truth. 

Which is why Assange should be celebrated instead of hated, I really do hope he spurs a new age of whistle blowers that really can take advantage of this strange digital age we live in.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Red12b
@zudthespud said:
" It doesn't really matter if they put Assange away, Wikileaks won't die.   I love the irony of politicians in America speaking out against their own constitution. They can argue against the ethics of it all they want, Wikileaks has not broken the law in the US. When politicians and commentators say things like "every American should be insulted at the leaks" it insults every American and the American constitution. They are just Fascists. "
exactly 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Good. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Red12b
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Good.  "
why? 
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Good.  "
Because someone who's done nothing illegal has been arrested on phony charges?
Care to elaborate?
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shiftymagician
@Red12b said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" Good.  "
why?  "
Cmon moosey, it would be interesting to hear your opinion on this rather than a blunt statement that is wafer-thin of any value.  It would be good to further on what can be a great discussion.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho
@SeriouslyNow said:
" He'll be extradited to the US and die of 'natural causes'.  Poor bastard. :( "
Thanks for the nutjob update hitman.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho
@zudthespud said:

" It doesn't really matter if they put Assange away, Wikileaks won't die.   I love the irony of politicians in America speaking out against their own constitution. They can argue against the ethics of it all they want, Wikileaks has not broken the law in the US. When politicians and commentators say things like "every American should be insulted at the leaks" it insults every American and the American constitution. They are just Fascists. "

Um no dude. Espionage is pretty clearly a crime. Do a half second of research. We have a pretty infamous prison or two full of non-americans in holding. You guys seem to think since he's not American that somehow makes him safer. No, it kind of means the CIA can just snipe him if they want. No trial, no due process.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Red12b
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ryanwho
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" Good.  "
Because someone who's done nothing illegal has been arrested on phony charges? Care to elaborate? "
You know he didn't rape a girl? I guess since he's your hero now he's infallible. You know Assange doesn't fully deny the charges, right? I guess you don't know. The theme itt is people not knowing much about the subject matter.
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ryanwho: Too bad wikileaks is a news organization and are protected under the first amendment...
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jost1

What first amendment??

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Wikleaks just posts links to torrents with the data, they don't host it or commit espionage themselves. Not that anyone cares about 'liberal democratic' states ignoring legality, of course.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jost1
@owl_of_minerva said:
" Wikleaks just posts links torrents with the data, they don't host it or commit espionage themselves. Not that anyone cares about 'liberal democratic' states ignoring legality, of course. "
Spoken like someone with a Marx avatar ;)
I agree wholeheartedly though :)
Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Doctorchimp
@ryanwho: You mean the consensual sex (admitted by the accuser) that is only considered rape because Assange didn't use a condom? She did after all throw a party for him after the "rape"

Stop trolling dude, it's fucking pathetic.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho
@Doctorchimp said:
" @ryanwho: Too bad wikileaks is a news organization and are protected under the first amendment... "
Wow, you really don't know anything. I could start with how some of this doesn't fall under protected speech, but I think just reminding you that the constitution only applies to US citizens should suffice. Watergate was free speech, some of this shit is on that level, and other stuff is more like selling Russians nuclear secrets. Which uh, not covered under free speech. Cus its espionage. Please, everyone, read an amendment before evoking it and maybe wiki the word "espionage" while you're at it and get educated.
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@ryanwho said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @MooseyMcMan said:
" Good.  "
Because someone who's done nothing illegal has been arrested on phony charges? Care to elaborate? "
You know he didn't rape a girl? I guess since he's your hero now he's infallible. You know Assange doesn't fully deny the charges, right? I guess you don't know. The theme itt is people not knowing much about the subject matter. "
Like I said in my first post, I'm not big on conspiracy theories.  But you can't seriously believe these charges are only coming to light NOW.  The point is we're never going to know what's going on, because the whole point is that the Government is keeping things from us that we're supposed to be entitled to know about.  It's the principle of the matter, who's actually involved is just incidental.  I've never said he's my "hero" and haven't even mentioned his name in any of my posts.

Don't complain about me making assumptions and then go and do the same thing yourself.