Kings - new tv show

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

I am downloading the first episode now for FREE!!! right now off of the Playstation Store, in glorious 1080p im at about 12% and should take a while to finish, but i watched what there is so far and boy, this looks verrrry interesting. they got some top knotch actors on board, especially the king himself, who i will always remember fondly from Deadwood and all the times he said "cocksucker!". Aside from quality acting by a really good cast so far, its got great pacing to it and the cinematography is excellent. The writers deserve mad props for taking this idea on. what if we still had a world full of modern/powerful countries governed by monarchies? its something i have thought about many times. This show seems to have succesfully brought that idea to life, and its full fleshed out, this is a seriously well thought out show for sure. 

it was getting sick of all of these"cool-person-with unique-talents-solves-crime" tv shows they've been pumping out lately and its about time we got ourselves a new "HBO" style show on network television. These are the kinds of shows that i love. The only other shows on network tv i like (but can't stand the commercials) are lost and maybe heroes but i never watch heroes. only watch lost these days because the first 2 seasons got me hooked and ever since i feel obligated to find out what happens despite feeling as if the show has gotten way too bizarre for its own good. 
Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Qorious

I was downloading it it. Got to around 20% and then PSN went down. =[

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive
Qorious said:
"I was downloading it it. Got to around 20% and then PSN went down. =["
bummer. 
so i watched it and i immediately noticed some similarities to an old biblical story about king david, and this show is clearly, obviously, directly based on it. within the first episode the get the whole david beats goliath, becomes hero, etc. and is already working his way into becoming the king himself. 
its really cool though and i can tell it will be a favorite show of mine already. 
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Systech

I watched one of the episodes and it seemed fairly interesting.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BoG

I watched it and though it was stupid. It had this whole "trying to hard" vibe. I also hated the names of everything. The country, the people... it just didn't work for me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive
BoG said:
"I watched it and though it was stupid. It had this whole "trying to hard" vibe. I also hated the names of everything. The country, the people... it just didn't work for me."
Trying to hard vibe...What does that mean?
sounds like you were being way to judgemental. i mean, complaining about names? thats ridiculous. 
i hate to sound like i'm defending the show, if you didn't like it thats cool but dude, what kind of shows do you watch? reality tv? the show is based on a biblical story, and is set in a fictional world, no different then the stuff you see in videogames all the time. theyre just being creative.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By maxszy
TwoOneFive said:
"BoG said:
"I watched it and though it was stupid. It had this whole "trying to hard" vibe. I also hated the names of everything. The country, the people... it just didn't work for me."
"
I think what he is getting that there is that "it is trying too hard to be unique" or something to that extent. They wanted to do something different and by doing so, you can tell within the show itself that they are trying to be different from what's out there. It should be different because it just is different, not because you can tell that the creators are attempting to prove that it is different within the show.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive
Maxszy said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"BoG said:
"
I think what he is getting that there is that "it is trying too hard to be unique" or something to that extent. They wanted to do something different and by doing so, you can tell within the show itself that they are trying to be different from what's out there. It should be different because it just is different, not because you can tell that the creators are attempting to prove that it is different within the show."
have you even watched it? do you even know what its about? its different right from the start. its totally different from anything else on television period. i never got the sense that they were trying to hard to hard at all. its the reason i liked it so much, it felt very natural. 
i dunno your whole post right there made no fuckin sense at all, sorry man. 
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Suicrat

I'm not sure if people in America realize this, but Kings still exist, and some of America's closest 'allies' (or should I say satellites) have monarchies: Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Thailand. Monarchy isn't a thing of the past yet, people.

Having said that, I know nothing of this show, and a present-day retelling of a bible story that I'd like to see a turned into a television show or movie is the story of Job. (That's pronounced "Joe-hb, by the way.)

OldManLollipop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By OldManLollipop

I thought it was a show about the Los Angeles Kings. I am sorely dissapointed.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I watched it on Hulu, only because Ian McShane was in it (I'm still sad from the loss of Deadwood). I was surprised that it was a pretty good show.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive
Suicrat said:
"I'm not sure if people in America realize this, but Kings still exist, and some of America's closest 'allies' (or should I say satellites) have monarchies: Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Thailand. Monarchy isn't a thing of the past yet, people.

Having said that, I know nothing of this show, and a present-day retelling of a bible story that I'd like to see a turned into a television show or movie is the story of Job. (That's pronounced "Joe-hb, by the way.)"
yes i know that, but it looks the capital here is New York City, and the country side looks like...well basically im saying this show looks like America if it were a kingdom. but i was well aware of that man. 

job might be a cool idea. but the most obvious thing when they modernize it, is how the miraculous stuff looks ridiculous in a modern setting. 
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Osaladin
BoG said:

It had that exact same effect on me. I kind of wanted it to be good, because I thought the entire concept was interesting, but I wasn't holding my breath.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoG
Osaladin said:
"BoG said:
It had that exact same effect on me. I kind of wanted it to be good, because I thought the entire concept was interesting, but I wasn't holding my breath."
Honestly, it just seemed to me like they were trying to crete some epic, deep television show. They employed all of these cheap tricks to make it so, and had all this "deep" dialogue. It all came off a bit forced, and it just wasn't well written.
_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By _Phara0h_

Well I almost thought the religious right made this series cause the notion of fate is very overplayed.
Made me think off Battlestar Galactica

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By skrutop

I've watched the first two episodes and enjoyed them, though it's been getting pretty weak ratings.  Fate (or God) is definitely playing a more involved role in this show than I expected, and it's a bit odd because of it.  But hell, Lost is still a good show, even if it takes place on some sort of magical, time travelling island.  The names of everything are a bit odd, but they're all Biblical cities/regions around Israel and Palestine, so at least they make sense.

Personally, I like that it's a bit different, and I'm interested in seeing where the show is going.  Unfortunately, I don't see Kings lasting unless it starts getting more viewers.  Given the Nielsen ratings, where American Idol and all of the crime dramas dominate, Kings' days are numbered.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Suicrat
TwoOneFive said:
"Suicrat said:
"I'm not sure if people in America realize this, but Kings still exist, and some of America's closest 'allies' (or should I say satellites) have monarchies: Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Thailand. Monarchy isn't a thing of the past yet, people.

Having said that, I know nothing of this show, and a present-day retelling of a bible story that I'd like to see a turned into a television show or movie is the story of Job. (That's pronounced "Joe-hb, by the way.)"
yes i know that, but it looks the capital here is New York City, and the country side looks like...well basically im saying this show looks like America if it were a kingdom. but i was well aware of that man. 

job might be a cool idea. but the most obvious thing when they modernize it, is how the miraculous stuff looks ridiculous in a modern setting. 
"
I haven't watched Kings yet, but they said David slew Goliath. Did he use a stone and a sling? I doubt it.

With the story of Job all you'd need is a businessman who is a major contributor to the political party in power at the time, and a close friend of the President. The President could be the evil God, using the coercive power of government to ruin Job's life, on a bet with the House Opposition Leader or something like that.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop
Suicrat said:
"TwoOneFive said:
I haven't watched Kings yet, but they said David slew Goliath. Did he use a stone and a sling? I doubt it.

With the story of Job all you'd need is a businessman who is a major contributor to the political party in power at the time, and a close friend of the President. The President could be the evil God, using the coercive power of government to ruin Job's life, on a bet with the House Opposition Leader or something like that."
Actually, he used an RPG.

In the context of the actual show, Job would most likely get his ass kicked by God directly.  While God isn't a character in the show, it's definitely present and active.
JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By JudgeDread
Suicrat said:

satellite?
fuck you!

Just because monarchy is still alive does not mean it is a good thing. In Sweden around half the population (me included) wants to abolish the monarchy since it is a pure disgrace to have such an undemocratic institution in a modern democracy. In Saudi Arabia people are more or less living in a middle age theocracy thanks to the cooperation between the monarchs and the religous. In Thailand the monarchy is actively supporting non-democratic movement that wants to limit the voting power of some parts of the population.

Oh, and in Sweden the king is utterly powerless since 1974 and just acts as an extremely expensive (tax payed) PR representative.

the show sounds really interesting though, will have to torrent this since HBO does not want my money
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Suicrat

Hey, sorry to the Swedish population. I'm actually learning Swedish (albeit extremely slowly, and probably poorly) thanks to a Swedish friend I met on XBox live and Google translate.

I support the Swedish republican movement!