kurt russell stargate is the only true and pure stargate.

• 57 results
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RaceKickfist

kurt russell stargate is the only true and pure stargate. defend/refute. i dare you, internets.  

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Whatever.

mostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mostman

I don't know man.  First few seasons of SG1 were nice.

Dannoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dannoob

uuuuuuummmmmmmm....

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By VWGTI

OP is correct.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

They all stink bad enough that I don't know how "true" or "pure" I'd consider any of them.

...but Kurt Russell's in it so benefit of the doubt is given.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By falconer

Kurt Russell can go eat a fat one. RDA forever!

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Jayzilla
@RaceKickfist said:
" kurt russell stargate is the only true and pure stargate. defend/refute. i dare you, internets.   "
Let me write that in my care book.
RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RaceKickfist

i like RDA, but i cant see him as anything but macguyver. granted i cant see kurt russell as anything but jack burton, but come on, its ol' jack burton! he'd stake a knife in Ra's noggin and give credit solely to reflexes. dang, they should re-make the movie AND series with kurt russell as jack burton as col o'neill.  guest star victor wong III.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By metal_mills

The stargate movie was pretty shit. The series is much better, all 3.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

I can sign off on this. Its like, the shows don't really excel at anything. Farscape is a better true blooded American in a fish-out-of-water in a techy alien world story, Trek is better pure scifi, BSG is better drama, and about every syndicated scifi show I can think of has more interesting villains. Even SGU which probably had the potential to be good just sucked into some standard soap opera drama.

RaceKickfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RaceKickfist
@ryanwho: boom. nailed it. 

i havent watched much of the series, to be honest. a couple eps here and there. i think what turned me off was that every time i saw a commercial it just reminded me too much like the latter seasons of 'sliders.' 
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck

I hate you.

Avatar image for deactivated-58d6a11a3b048
deactivated-58d6a11a3b048

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Russia Star Russel Gates Kurt... Wat?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn

NO! 

The Stargate series was campy as hell but it was still really enjoyable, the Stargate movie was just bad. Also, in a fist fight, Macgyver will always beat Kurt Russell, Consider youself destroyed.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By allprox

Dude, you are incorrect. While it is difficult to argue the sheer stature of Kurt the chinface Russell, the first Stargate movie sucked bollocks. All three of the series destroy it in terms of quality. RDA shall rule us all one day.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By gosukiller

I don't agree, therefor you are wrong. Stargate movie was awesome, but SG-1 royally beats it in both quality writing and humor.

Indeed.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By falconer

Beats the crap out of Kurt Russell's stiff ass any day.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19  Edited By Symphony

The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that came out before the series was the only true Buffy.

/actually-knows-nothing-about-Buffy-or-Stargate

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ragdrazi
@ShaggyChu: Yeah, I have to agree with you. Richard Dean Anderson brought way more to Stargate then Kurt Russell ever did. Plus Stargate SG1 was just written way better than that crappy movie. At least until SciFi... or is it Scyfy or so stupid shit now... got it's slimy tentacles on it.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By falconer
@Ragdrazi: I wouldn't put it past them. They like to do stupid shit to good shows.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ragdrazi
@ShaggyChu: But what past them. They already did it. And they made like two stupid spin offs, including Star Gate Universe, which is their attempt to restart the whole Battlestar Galatica money, shaky cam seriousness and all. Its a fucking show about Space Egyptians, SciFi. Get over it. 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

Meh, it saaaaaaaaaal shiiiiiiiit.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pazy

Stargate is a great franchise but for me its better on TV than the original film. While I enjoyd the original film I greatly prefer the characters, especially the new humorous Jack O'Neill, and the general atmosphere of SG-1 (and Atlantis). Though im not completely sold on Universe yet im enjoying it so far, but only for the two main characters.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Organicalistic_
@HandsomeDead said:
" Whatever. "
GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GaspoweR

U mean MACGYVER 

No Caption Provided
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony said:
" The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that came out before the series was the only true Buffy.  /actually-knows-nothing-about-Buffy-or-Stargate "
Well that's just plain incorrect.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520
@Symphony said:
"The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that came out before the series was the only true Buffy.  /actually-knows-nothing-about-Buffy-or-Stargate "

That movie was crap.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#29  Edited By citizenkane
Stargate SG-1 had mother fuckin' MacGyver.

Your move.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:
" The Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie that came out before the series was the only true Buffy.  /actually-knows-nothing-about-Buffy-or-Stargate "
Well that's just plain incorrect. "
One more in the chorus.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Symphony
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:
One more in the chorus. "
How is it wrong? How?? That movie was one of the greatest movies ever made! The show was such a disappointment in comparison. I mean a character named "Angel"? Really? Pffft, the Buffy show is the reason why we have sparkly vampires now. I hope you're happy!
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:
How is it wrong? How?? That movie was one of the greatest movies ever made! The show was such a disappointment in comparison. I mean a character named "Angel"? Really? Pffft, the Buffy show is the reason why we have sparkly vampires now. I hope you're happy! "
I thought you knew nothing about Buffy or Stargate... 

And don't you ever, ever, utter the good name of Buffy in the same sentence as that Twilight trash again.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Symphony
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:
How is it wrong? How?? That movie was one of the greatest movies ever made! The show was such a disappointment in comparison. I mean a character named "Angel"? Really? Pffft, the Buffy show is the reason why we have sparkly vampires now. I hope you're happy! "

And don't you ever, ever, utter the good name of Buffy in the same sentence as that Twilight trash again. "
Prove me wrong! There would be no Twilight without Buffy.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By falconer
@Ragdrazi said:
" @ShaggyChu: But what past them. They already did it. And they made like two stupid spin offs, including Star Gate Universe, which is their attempt to restart the whole Battlestar Galatica money, shaky cam seriousness and all. Its a fucking show about Space Egyptians, SciFi. Get over it.  "
Woah woah woah WOAH... Atlantis was awesome bro. Now SGU has, well, more ups and downs than I would like, but I still find it entertaining enough to stick with it.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Symphony said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @Symphony said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:

And don't you ever, ever, utter the good name of Buffy in the same sentence as that Twilight trash again. "
Prove me wrong! There would be no Twilight without Buffy. "
Twilight and Buffy are aimed at completely different audiences. In particular Buffy came out when Twilight's audience was far too young to have even seen it. As much as the Buffy series appears like bubble gum puff shit on the outside, it's actually an extremely complex and multifacited story, quite explisitly about female impowerment. Where as Twilight is pop junk for little girls about submitting utterly to male athority. Buffy is far a far more multifacited, intelectual, and, quite frankly, literary story than Stephany Myers could ever poop out.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ragdrazi
@ShaggyChu said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @ShaggyChu: But what past them. They already did it. And they made like two stupid spin offs, including Star Gate Universe, which is their attempt to restart the whole Battlestar Galatica money, shaky cam seriousness and all. Its a fucking show about Space Egyptians, SciFi. Get over it.  "
Woah woah woah WOAH... Atlantis was awesome bro. Now SGU has, well, more ups and downs than I would like, but I still find it entertaining enough to stick with it. "
No it's not. Atlantis was over produced SciFi channel shit. SG1 lovingly made great fun of sci-fi tropes. Atlantis was just sci-fi tropes on parade.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

I don't think anybody's seen MacGuyver ITT. I think you were born in the 90s and have a vague grasp of a pop culture reference.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Symphony
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:

Twilight and Buffy are aimed at completely different audiences. In particular Buffy came out when Twilight's audience was far to young to have even seen it. As much as the Buffy series appears like bubble gum puff shit on the outside, it's actually an extremely complex and multifacited story, quite explisitly about female impowerment. Where as Twilight is pop junk for little girls about submitting utterly to male athority. Buffy is far a far more multifacited, intelectual, and, quite frankly, literary than Stephany Myers could ever poop out. "
Except Buffy came out when the author of Twilight could easily have been influenced by it (she was in her 20s at the time of Buffy's airing, which could be considered part of the prime target demographic of the show). It's not as if today's 14-year-olds wrote Twilight. And wouldn't you know it -- the inspiration came to her in 2003, while Buffy was still very popular and the show was still on the air. 

Sure, when asked for where she found inspiration she used classic literature. Hell, it reads like a list of "11th grade required reading". But let's be honest -- There would be no Twilight without Buffy.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony said:

Twilight and Buffy are aimed at completely different audiences. In particular Buffy came out when Twilight's audience was far to young to have even seen it. As much as the Buffy series appears like bubble gum puff shit on the outside, it's actually an extremely complex and multifacited story, quite explisitly about female impowerment. Where as Twilight is pop junk for little girls about submitting utterly to male athority. Buffy is far a far more multifacited, intelectual, and, quite frankly, literary than Stephany Myers could ever poop out. "
Except Buffy came out when the author of Twilight could easily have been influenced by it (she was in her 20s at the time of Buffy's airing, which could be considered part of the prime target demographic of the show). It's not as if today's 14-year-olds wrote Twilight. And wouldn't you know it -- the inspiration came to her in 2003, while Buffy was still very popular and the show was still on the air.   Sure, when asked for where she found inspiration she used classic literature. Hell, it reads like a list of "11th grade required reading". But let's be honest -- There would be no Twilight without Buffy. "
Just like there would be no Ka$ha if there were not Patsy Kline I suppose. They both sang after all.
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FreakAche

SG-1 is the one true and pure Stargate because it knew well enough not to take itself too seriously.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By falconer
@Ragdrazi said:
" @ShaggyChu said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
Woah woah woah WOAH... Atlantis was awesome bro. Now SGU has, well, more ups and downs than I would like, but I still find it entertaining enough to stick with it. "
No it's not. Atlantis was over produced SciFi channel shit. SG1 lovingly made great fun of sci-fi tropes. Atlantis was just sci-fi tropes on parade. "
HA! Alrighty then.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Venatio

No I disagree with you on all that

The movie was pretty bad

Stargate SG-1 was fucking awesome and my favorite science fiction show

Stargate Atlantis was also pretty damn good although they didn't give it enough seasons and gave it a shitty ending

Stargate Universe is fucking crap, I mean they cancelled SGA for it and that pissed me off

So that's my opinion on everything, I will never visit this dumbass thread ever again, bye

/nerd rant

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony: Buffy is NOTHING like Twilight. Buffy actually had good looking girls! ;-P
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Symphony
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
"Twilight and Buffy are aimed at completely different audiences. In particular Buffy came out when Twilight's audience was far to young to have even seen it. As much as the Buffy series appears like bubble gum puff shit on the outside, it's actually an extremely complex and multifacited story, quite explisitly about female impowerment. Where as Twilight is pop junk for little girls about submitting utterly to male athority. Buffy is far a far more multifacited, intelectual, and, quite frankly, literary than Stephany Myers could ever poop out. "
Except Buffy came out when the author of Twilight could easily have been influenced by it (she was in her 20s at the time of Buffy's airing, which could be considered part of the prime target demographic of the show). It's not as if today's 14-year-olds wrote Twilight. And wouldn't you know it -- the inspiration came to her in 2003, while Buffy was still very popular and the show was still on the air.   Sure, when asked for where she found inspiration she used classic literature. Hell, it reads like a list of "11th grade required reading". But let's be honest -- There would be no Twilight without Buffy. "
Just like there would be no Ka$ha if there were not Patsy Kline I suppose. They both sang after all. "
No, silly. Now you're just getting into the realm of hyperbole. That analogy would make sense if I had said something more along the lines of, "There'd be no Twilight if Gutenberg hadn't created the printing press." 

Deny it all you want, but there would be no Twilight were it not for Buffy. Though I'm not sure why you take offense, as it doesn't diminish the value of Buffy to fans such as yourself, does it? It's not like Twilight retcon'd the story of Buffy to have some crazy sparkly vampire origin story. Though wouldn't that have been neat if it did? :D
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By crusader8463

Must...Resist...Obvious..Trollbait... but I can't! FUCK YOU AND KURT RUSSEL!

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Symphony
@Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony: Buffy is NOTHING like Twilight. Buffy actually had good looking girls! ;-P "
While that is beside the point, of course they are nothing alike! Well except they're both targeted at young women; are ripe with romantic story-arcs (including vampire x human ones); have vampires as prominent characters; etc etc. So yes, you're right, they are absolutely, positively, 100% nothing alike.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Bones8677
@Symphony said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @Symphony: Buffy is NOTHING like Twilight. Buffy actually had good looking girls! ;-P "
While that is beside the point, of course they are nothing alike! Well except they're both targeted at young women; are ripe with romantic story-arcs (including vampire x human ones); have vampires as prominent characters; etc etc. So yes, you're right, they are absolutely, positively, 100% nothing alike. "
Grrrr...... *X-(
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Symphony said:

" @Ragdrazi said:

" @Symphony said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
"Twilight and Buffy are aimed at completely different audiences. In particular Buffy came out when Twilight's audience was far to young to have even seen it. As much as the Buffy series appears like bubble gum puff shit on the outside, it's actually an extremely complex and multifacited story, quite explisitly about female impowerment. Where as Twilight is pop junk for little girls about submitting utterly to male athority. Buffy is far a far more multifacited, intelectual, and, quite frankly, literary than Stephany Myers could ever poop out. "
Just like there would be no Ka$ha if there were not Patsy Kline I suppose. They both sang after all. "
No, silly. Now you're just getting into the realm of hyperbole. That analogy would make sense if I had said something more along the lines of, "There'd be no Twilight if Gutenberg hadn't created the printing press."    Deny it all you want, but there would be no Twilight were it not for Buffy. Though I'm not sure why you take offense, as it doesn't diminish the value of Buffy to fans such as yourself, does it? It's not like Twilight retcon'd the story of Buffy to have some crazy sparkly vampire origin story. Though wouldn't that have been neat if it did? :D "
No, see, your argument boils down to this: "Without a popular show about blank, there would not have been this popular series of books about blank." That's a shallow argument. The first thing in no way influenced the other, even in your argument. And in particular, there isn't a thread you can tie between Buffy and Twilight other than the fact that they had vampires.  

If what you're saying is that in this media system, a popular IP about -insert thing here- is going to open the door for more IPs about -insert thing here- then yes, I will agree with you. But the success of Buffy and the success of Twilight are just too far apart to even make a credible link there. 

I recognize that I'm probably taking this too serious cat. But... yeah. Serious cat is serious, ok? Don't cramp my serious styles. With a z.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Tiwi
@Ragdrazi: the only problem is that symphony is making sense. it would be logical to assume that the creator of twilight would have taken, if little, at least some ideas from buffy and implemented them in twilight. Think about it.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ragdrazi
@tiwi said:

" @Ragdrazi: the only problem is that symphony is making sense. it would be logical to assume that the creator of twilight would have taken, if little, at least some ideas from buffy and implemented them in twilight. Think about it. "

Shallow arguments do make sense until you think about them, yes.

To say that there would be no Twilight without Buffy is an absurd argument, because you could say there would be no Twilight without Bram Stoker's Dracula with as much credibility. That's the argument Symphony is making.

If you're going to talk about influence though, because an artist can be influenced by any work for any time period, it's really been widely observed that Twilight is ripping on Anne Rice more than anything else.