Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@i_stay_puft: It was poorly worded by him but I love me some Brouss as he's at least entertaining.

I'm pretty glad we're paying Wes $70 million giving him even more money than the King's were offering. With the salary jump and losing DeAndre we had a bunch of cash and someone had to get it so I'm glad it's him. I guess we'll hit the salary cap floor and call it a day and reach for *greatness* in the draft...

I really feel bad for Dirk as he sacrificed the most to try and win but just bad luck with everything. He got his ring though and he was able to beat Kobe/Pau/Bynum/Odom , Harden/ Durant/Westbrook, and LeBron/Wade/Bosh en route to his ring which was pretty impressive as a solo star. I might just have to watch those playoff games throughout next season just to cheer me up when we're 11-35 at some point.

Though I worry that Carlisle is on his last year of his contract and teams will successfully poach him with vastly superior rosters after we force him to tank. I won't blame him if/when he leaves since the Donnie and Cuban have pretty much dropped the ball on the roster front since 2011. Some dark days ahead for Mavs fans...

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1103  Edited By mattadord

@junkboy0: How can you be happy about giving Matthews the max? I understand he totally got screwed by his injury, but still that doesn't mean you should pay him that much. Spending like that is what got the Nets and Knicks in trouble. Also I don't think the Mavs are anywhere near the salary cap floor especially after the Matthews contract. Though I'm just a Pelicans fan and you're a fan of the Mavs so you might know their cap situation better than me.

There is a part of me that kinda agrees about Dirk with you, but then I remember that I hate watching him play. As I said before I am a Pels fan so I am biased, but man I can stand watching him play. He just whines and complains to the refs nonstop. I understand talking to them and getting an explication or bringing attention to something you think is happening, but come on just shut up and play.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1104  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@junkboy0: Wait, what? I'm all up for showing loyalty and all but they just gave more money to a shooting guard who just recovered from a torn achilles? From what it sounded like is that Wes Mathews was going to honor the original contract signed. It was a humble gesture by Cuban but a really dumb basketball move. Hopefully Mathews has a monster season next year for the Mavs.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If real NBA was anything NBA 2k3 The Dallas Mavericks should put Dirk Nowitzki at center then just let Dirk handle the ball and drop 3's from long range. If my guess is right the opposing centers will just go directly to the post leaving Dirk open ;/

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1106  Edited By Junkboy

@i_stay_puft: @mattadord: Basically ties up tons of money and it puts it out there that the Mavs take care of their guys so helps us down the line with player agents and FA's. The cap will balloon even higher so his contract won't seem that bad next couple of years and even with the torn Achilles we don't actually want to win so even if it's a godawful contract we want to lose. I think our rebuild will be a 2-3 year plan so his contract will basically just be there for show.

We HAVE to spend that money so it's either Wes or overpay Amari/Cole Aldrich/Zaza ect. I just feel better wasting money in a guy who I like as a basketball player who had a terrible injury than overpaying bad players. It's the lesser of two evils in my mind.

At this point in viewing it as a multi-year rebuild and I don't expect Parsons or maybe even Wes to still here by the time we turn it around. KD and Westbrook are pipe dreams for us as is Boogie/Irving ect so for the point of filling out a roster and tanking to the top of the draft I've reconciled the fact that I want to win with the fact this is the only way.

*edit* God I just realized how depressing this post is...

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: I don't know about this type of thinking. If you're rebuilding then why have a show that you treat free agents right? You're not going to try and recruit any of them. Also even with the ballooning cap that contract is crazy. You have to hope that Matthews comes back 100% from an injury that historically no one comes 100% back from to make it understandable. I don't understand this mentality that you have to spend money though. The Mavs would have not hit the salary cap floor with the old contract in place. The team has only 9 players signed currently so they could have filled it out even with the old Matthews contract and not have hit the floor.

Also with the news that the Mavs traded for Zaza Pachulia I doubt that they will be tanking. They are going to try and compete which I respect, but I'm not so sure they are going to get the desired results. Good luck though!

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord: I think Cuban just wants to keep good relations with player agents. The money isn't too high to be honest 6 mil more than kings but contracts will get out of control in two years and even at 80-90% of what he was before he will be a value in two years. Like I said I'd rather he get it than some bums who don't deserve it.

But yeah Zaza trade seems like a counter productive move if we're trying to tank. I have no idea what they're trying to do now. We can't rebuild and have to tank to keep our pick. And now we have the Deron Williams talks... I will say it has been quite an entertaining off season.

As long as that "alleged" Dez tape never comes to light I'll at least have football.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: I guess, but it's not like they hadn't already agreed to the previous contract they had in place. It is just a confusing move to me. Also I think a 80-90% is pretty hopeful thinking too so that is why I'm not too hot on the contract.

I understand the move though. To keep their pick they would have to be in the bottom 7, and with the lottery they probably have to be at least the 6th worst to feel comfortable about keeping their pick. They're is no way that even without Zaza the Mavs wold be the 6th or 7th worst, for comparison the Kings (29-53) and the Nuggets (30-52) were the 6th and 7th worst last season respectively. So I say try and compete another season, and hope you catch someone's eye for next season free agency. The Mavs will also probably get some extra attention/love because of the Jordan fiasco.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@i_stay_puft: Maybe if you're real lucky you'll get the Seattle Bucks soon.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus said:

@i_stay_puft: Maybe if you're real lucky you'll get the Seattle Bucks soon.

In a perfect world in my mind, Brooklyn Nets would become the new Seattle Sonics cause nobody gives a shit about the Brooklyn Nets. We release everybody and start over from scratch. For those people who say they're Nets fans are those same people who are just waiting for the Knicks to become decent again.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Joel Embiid possibly going to miss the 15-16 season. Fuck the basketball gods.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol what?

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14 said:

Lol what?

Needs a 2nd surgery. This is such a bummer.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jiggajoe14: That sucks. When you consider his previous injuries (stress fracture in back before the Big 12/NCAA Tourney and then missing all of last year with the same right foot that is sidelining him again) it makes sense that they drafted Okafor if they had a feeling Embiid would likely miss this upcoming season.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh I'm so ready for the season to begin, or at least the training camps to begin. As much as Summer League is important to see young players I'm not a fan. It is also because the Pelicans have no young players that really intrigue me, and I kinda doubt any of them will make the final team. I've just been watching Anthony Davis highlight videos to try and scratch my itch.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I think Boogie is going to be in for a rude awakening if he doesn't realize that NBA like life is business.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Boogie is going to be in for a rude awakening if he doesn't realize that NBA like life is business.

Same can be said to George Karl in a few months when he is fired.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft said:

Same can be said to George Karl in a few months when he is fired.

True, it's not like George hasn't been there before. He's coached and been fired, found success and found failure. Boogie on the other hand has been coddled throughout his entire NBA career cause of his potential. Boogie is not a rookie anymore, he's been in the NBA for 5 seasons and has yet to play a full season nor lead his team to 30 wins. You could blame it on various factors like he's never had a good coach, the whole team relocation situation, or cause he plays on a small market team that has already has shown through this year free agency that marquee free agents don't wanna play for the Kings. If Boogie is suppose to be a franchise player, free-agents should be wanting to come to sac-town instead of taking less money to play for the nets? Alot of this can obviously be fixed by winning but I think Boogie is too tired sometimes to run down the court to play d.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So apparently the owners may opt out of the CBA because too many teams are "losing money".... Jesus fucking christ

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14: haha, i guess that new tv contract brought on the dollar signs in their eyes and now they want a bigger piece of the pie.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: they just buttwhooped the NBPA in cba negotiations last go around. No Hunter around this time so probably preemptively putting their feet in the ground for a dogfight.

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord said:

Ugh I'm so ready for the season to begin, or at least the training camps to begin. As much as Summer League is important to see young players I'm not a fan. It is also because the Pelicans have no young players that really intrigue me, and I kinda doubt any of them will make the final team. I've just been watching Anthony Davis highlight videos to try and scratch my itch.

Doesn't Seth Curry play for the Pelicans? Seems pretty intriguing to me.

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobstar: Yeah he plays for their Summer League team. He has been playing really well, but if he gets a roster spot he won't play very much I imagine. Also when you're hearing about how Anthony Davis is really working on his game and all watching Seth Curry doesn't really scratch that itch.

Bobstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattadord: I feel ya, but Seth is the leading scorer in the summer league tho. Hey, if you won't take him, my Knicks will gladly pry him off your hands :D

mattadord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bobstar: I don't think being a leading scorer in Summer League really will translate to actual NBA games, but I'd be happy to have Seth Curry as a 5th guard. I imagine Seth playing a similar role as Brian Roberts did for the team a few years ago. He can score, can't really defend well, and acts as a bench spark plug.

Also I find it incredibly sad that the addition of Seth Curry is an exciting prospect. I feel for your pain, and hope Porzingis brings you some happiness.