Let's Make A Game 2012

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Developed by "team name" produced by "let's make a game" is Tari's advice. Sounds good.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#552  Edited By development

@afrofools: Nahhhhh that's not what he's sayyyyyin. I'd say it's up to Fattony. And by that, I mean him and his writing team. And by that, I mean everyone should still be able to suggest names, just not decide on them... that's up to the writing team, as it's essentially their vision so they will know what name fits.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you guys/girls absolutely need me for something then contact me, otherwise I'll let you sort it out yourselves. I'm busy this week making an animated movie (not related to this project). Choose what you want to do over the naming, and anything else. I appreciate the initiative all of you are taking. Just be careful not to push other's out. Have an awesome week.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554  Edited By Etnos

@afrofools: Hey guys I've been a lurker of the site since the beginning.

I'm currently in the last term of the Game Design program at the Vancouver Film School, we are currently working on our own videogame project for a industry pitch this November.

Said so, I have good experience with Maya, the Adobe Suite and some Unity + C#

This is my personal portfolio/blog: http://www.random-dungeon.com/

The game we are currently making is National Mech League, which is basically Mechs meet NHL/Madden. The mechanics and core design are basically a dual stick shooter with some upgrade features. Our developer blog is: http://www.nationalmechleague.com/ This is a student project and we are not allow to profit of it, it is just for portfolio purpose so we can pitch it to the local industry, to either get a job, or get funding for further development.

The role I'm covering for this game is Artist, from visual design, to character design, enviromental props and 3d art (modeling, mapping, texture and animation). You can see a lot of what I've done recently in both blogs.

I'll be free after the november 15th. I love Giantbomb! and I would definitelly like to be part of this!. Given the eventuality, I might actually get a Job after graduation, I would give you guys a detail schedule of what can I deliver for ya.

This is the animation of our main character THE OCHO a Mech Cowboy because what is manlier than a cowboy and a mech!?... well a Mech Cowboy, yes.

This is a Wormbot, it has a 3 phase timed cycle of digging, stalking and shooting at the player:

All this characters were design, model, texturized and animated by me. It is still not AAA material but, I will hopefully get there.

Cheers, and I hope I can help with this madness! This game can be so Bananas I want to be part of it!

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#555  Edited By tariqari

@Etnos said:

@afrofools: Hey guys I've been a lurker of the site since the beginning.

I'm currently in the last term of the Game Design program at the Vancouver Film School, we are currently working on our own videogame project for a industry pitch this November.

Said so, I have good experience with Maya, the Adobe Suite and some Unity + C#

This is my personal portfolio/blog: http://www.random-dungeon.com/

The game we are currently making is National Mech League, which is basically Mechs meet NHL/Madden. The mechanics and core design are basically a dual stick shooter with some upgrade features. Our developer blog is: http://www.nationalmechleague.com/ This is a student project and we are not allow to profit of it, it is just for portfolio purpose so we can pitch it to the local industry, to either get a job, or get funding for further development.

The role I'm covering for this game is Artist, from visual design, to character design, enviromental props and 3d art (modeling, mapping, texture and animation). You can see a lot of what I've done recently in both blogs.

I'll be free after the november 15th. I love Giantbomb! and I would definitelly like to be part of this!. Given the eventuality, I might actually get a Job after graduation, I would give you guys a detail schedule of what can I deliver for ya.

This is the animation of our main character THE OCHO a Mech Cowboy because what is manlier than a cowboy and a mech!?... well a Mech Cowboy, yes.

This is a Wormbot, it has a 3 phase timed cycle of digging, stalking and shooting at the player:

All this characters were design, model, texturized and animated by me. It is still not AAA material but, I will hopefully get there.

Cheers, and I hope I can help with this madness! This game can be so Bananas I want to be part of it!

Those are some sweet, high caliber animations! We'd definitely love to have you! Fill out this form if you haven't already. If you'd like to join the design team, let me know and I'll add you to our PMs.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#556  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

A quick prototype I've thrown together of a 2D character (in this case, Goemon) moving in a 3D environment. Clearly very early with a lot of issues to work out, but I just want to get something out there for people to see so I know if I'm heading in the right direction. I'm going to try to put together a simple battle view prototype this week as well.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557  Edited By tariqari

@Chaser324 said:

A quick prototype I've thrown together of a 2D character (in this case, Goemon) moving in a 3D environment. Clearly very early with a lot of issues to work out, but I just want to get something out there for people to see so I know if I'm heading in the right direction. I'm going to try to put together a simple battle view prototype this week as well.

Good job Chase. Can the player move diagonally or is it just up, down, left & right?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@tariqari: At the moment, yes, the player can move diagonally, but it looks a bit odd. However, I think it can be cleaned up to look OK, some thought just needs to be put into which 2D animation is shown as you're moving diagonally.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559  Edited By Thoseposers

@Chaser324: that test looks so cool! The look of a 2d character running around like that in a 3d world really catches my eye and i hope we can maybe stick with that :D

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#560  Edited By fattony12000

Nice work!

Are you able to post this stuff on our 'proper' forum? Also, is there any chance of sending files my way (at some point), since I own the Twitter and YouTube accounts for this endeavour, I would love to cut some hot promos, or just use videos/images to help disseminate ideas amongst ourselves.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Fattony12000: Yeah, I'll go post it over on those other forums, and if you want just a straight up *.flv video file from me, I can send that to you.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562  Edited By fattony12000

@Chaser324: Cool! But I was talking about the raw dog assets and stuff, so I could capture real footage myself.

In other news...I made this to demonstrate the hierarchy of our team so far, this mirrors how I've created the forums and subforums based on the original list of users. Each department's position on this image doesn't mean anything with regards to seniority or power.

No Caption Provided
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#563  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Fattony12000: Sure thing. I'll PM you a link to download the build from.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564  Edited By fattony12000

@Chaser324: Fucking hype. Thanks! I love that you're using Goemon.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning to put this (or any of our future work in progress stuff) 'out there' through our official channels, unless I get okays from the team. I know we have to control what we show publicly, but I'm really interested in fucking around with this kind of stuff, and I'm already getting a sense at this early stage, of what yous guys could be capable of, it'll help me shape my story ideas to a degree.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Fattony12000: There are surprisingly few 2D games out there where there are separate sprites when moving up/down on the screen. Goemon is just one of the first that came to mind.

I might try to make some more tweaks to the prototype before our coding and team leads meetings this weekend. I have some ideas about how I can do some "fake dynamic lighting" on the 2D character.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566  Edited By development

@Fattony12000: I kinda feel like the Giant Bomb community is smart enough about games to realize that any "bad" looking early stuff is merely prototype material. I'd say promote the shit out of it if it was up to me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567  Edited By fattony12000

@Chaser324: I noticed that effect, it's slick. It really helps to sell the character if an artist can be even a little bit more expressive with something as simple as character movement.

@development: When I say public, I mean those outside of Giant Bomb. WE'RE HERE DEEP ON THE INSIDE DUDER.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568  Edited By development

@Chaser324: This guy's been making a pixel game in Unity, and until now I didn't even realize it was unity, because he has awesome dynamic lighting on the sprites and environment (which is 3D).

Some info in comments: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1110d8/screenshot_saturday_87_right_under_their_nose/c6icdw3

Most recent thread; not much info, though: http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/11s82a/screenshot_saturday_89_power_to_the_people/c6p4w7x

Site: http://robotloveskitty.tumblr.com/

You can find insight into how he's making it strewn throughout the comments section in the top link. He seems a bit reluctant to divulge all the info, but there's a bit to go on if you're curious. It seems like he's doing this without Unity Pro, too, which I find hard to believe. ...But then again he has no reason to lie (can't publish with hacked copies!).

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#569  Edited By felakuti4life

@Fattony12000 said:

@Chaser324: Cool! But I was talking about the raw dog assets and stuff, so I could capture real footage myself.

In other news...I made this to demonstrate the hierarchy of our team so far, this mirrors how I've created the forums and subforums based on the original list of users. Each department's position on this image doesn't mean anything with regards to seniority or power.

No Caption Provided

Audio over errrrythang.

Speaking of which, I made a two minute snippet of some of the exploration score( early draft), if you guys wanted to listen to some stuff or throw it in your demo reels.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570  Edited By fattony12000

REEEEEMIX!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@development: Thanks for the links. I definitely do want to spend some time looking into some more advanced lighting, and I have some ideas but it'll definitely take some experimentation to figure out just what we can do within the limitations of Unity.

I'll push my current code to GitHub and let some of you other coders experiment with it a bit as well (I'll also need to get some of the closed source packages I plan on using to you guys separately...that stuff can't go into a public GitHub repo). Going to be a bit occupied tonight though, so it may be tomorrow before that goes out.

I'll also be sending out an official invite to all people on the coding team for a proposed Google Hangout on Saturday at 12:00 PM EDT (GMT -4).

EDIT: I got the lighting on the sprite working. Sent a build to Fattony so he can make a video and put it up on Youtube.

Godmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572  Edited By Godmil

ooh, I just found out about this. I'm a 3d artist/animator (I prefer inorganic, but I can do just about anything). Also I used to be a Level Designer. I don't have a huge amount of time for following discussions at the moment, but if there are any assets that need made I can churn them out in my lunch break. :)

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#573  Edited By fobwashed

@Chaser324 said:

@Fattony12000: There are surprisingly few 2D games out there where there are separate sprites when moving up/down on the screen. Goemon is just one of the first that came to mind.

I might try to make some more tweaks to the prototype before our coding and team leads meetings this weekend. I have some ideas about how I can do some "fake dynamic lighting" on the 2D character.

I put together a 2D engine with up/down movement + platforms last year and I also had it running with some fake dynamic lighting. In the video, it's only for walking in and out of shadows but it's just a matter of changing a few things to get it to apply colored lighting as well. Holla if you want some input on working it out the way I got it.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#574  Edited By DrFlapjack

@Godmil: Good to have you! We're working on concept art right now, but be sure to keep an eye on our alt forums for when we are ready to start producing assets.

@Fobwashed: That looks great! Abe sure punched the crap out of those blobs.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#575  Edited By development

@Godmil: Also make sure you reply to Fattony12000 and ask to have posting privileges on the alt forums.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@Fobwashed: Yeah, I've gotten the lighting interacting with the sprite since that prototype video was made. There may be another video coming soon that shows that lighting change.

EDIT - Here's a look at what I'm talking about:

There's the lighting on the character in action. You'll also notice a different camera angle here that I was experimenting with that follows the character by moving along and rotating around a single axis. You'll also notice that the camera movement isn't quite 1:1 with character movement, there's a little bit of delay just to make it a bit more natural.

I plan on making it fairly simple for us to be able to dynamically change how the camera behaves in the game, in order to give us flexibility on how we guide the camera and character through the environment.

Also, it isn't apparent in any way, but I have changed the player movement to be all relative to the camera. For example, in the first build, if the player pressed up, the player moved up along the street, but not up with respect to the camera. Now if the player press up, they actually move up on the screen. I haven't really decided which is better, but if we're going to have complex environments and be moving the camera around, I think the motion will need to be relative to the camera in order to not confuse the player.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#577  Edited By Winternet

This is looking good. Moving relative to the camera, seems the way to go in my opinion.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578  Edited By development

I enjoy the walk into the abyss.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chaser324: That looks awesome chase, definitely agree with the slight delay in the camera, 1:1 would probably feel a little jenky.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580  Edited By felakuti4life

looks fantastic! The lighting is pretty slick and I like the way the camera chases.

As an aside, the hotline miami ep is fantastic: http://spacerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/hotline-miami-ep

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@felakuti4life: Yeah, that Hotline Miami soundtrack is pretty good. Shades of the super-violent cinema that game pulls from like Scarface and Drive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear everyone,

1. It has come to my attention that people are making new stories. You are wasting your time. We have decided to go with 's story. You can expand on his story, but you can't change it.
  2. Respect your team leads. Some team leads roles are not being respected. We need leads otherwise the project will spin out of control. If you don't give them authority then you are making it harder for the team to succeed.
  3. Don't remake documents that already exist. Don't remake accounts that already exist. Stop wasting everyone's time. If you can see a change that needs to be made, you make that change, don't make another document with your changes. Don't remake the YouTube account, for example.
  4. Don't use Microsoft word in the Drive. Use the built-in document editor to create and edit Google Drive format documents.
  5. Inactive team leads will be warned that they will lose their leadership position if they don't participate. The duration of inactivity is less important in certain areas like Music, which put out quality work consistently, but participate every second week.

Unrelated Sidenote: Nice work on the camera and lighting.

jonano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#583  Edited By jonano

Ah man I'd really like to help but all I could do is a bit of art , even though my dream is to make a game someday, I have no skill in programming or design maybe I can do something for the sequel When I get some experience ha ha.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@jonano: No experience required. Even if you can't contribute much, I'm sure the art team wouldn't mind allowing you in on their conversations.

jonano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#585  Edited By jonano

@Chaser324: Ok man I'll do some art for it , who know my stuff could end up in the game .

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonano: Welcome to the team.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#587  Edited By meteora

I don't know what I'm getting myself into, but I'm signing up in the art department.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588  Edited By DrFlapjack

@afrofools: Is the "design team" countdown supposed to be the "team lead" countdown?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the club .

@DrFlapjack: Yes, though the main focus of the meeting other than general matters will be the design implementation. If you have anything you would like to discuss you should edit the 'meetings' spreadsheet and add what you want to talk about. I will be asleep during that time, but the others will be awake. has a G+ hangout event prepared for that time.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590  Edited By DrFlapjack

@afrofools: Got it! Just wanted to be clear.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591  Edited By development

Wooooo meeting done. Code!

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592  Edited By DrFlapjack

@development: What happened? I can't read binary!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593  Edited By Winternet

@development: @DrFlapjack: It says: "Moon in the past shall not be used" :)

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594  Edited By development

Hey guys, I've volunteered to be your mixmeister in the upcoming meetings. I'll be keeping pace, using this document. Fill it in as best you can for your team as your next meeting nears (can everybody edit that? I donno. Seems like it). I'll take that into the meeting and use it as an outline for the whole flow of the meeting. People have been getting way off-topic, myself included, so the next meetings will be much more structured. I'll record the results in that document afterward, for every meeting, and I'll make a post in the appropriate (alt) forum stating what the teams decided needs to be done, where you can then discuss specific tasks if needed.

So:

1. Update that document before your meeting, with everything you want discussed. Only post key terms and try to avoid redundancies.

2. Stay on-topic during the meeting. Turn your phones off... or at least don't answer them.

3. After the meeting, if you need any clarification on what needs to be done, or if you didn't catch the meeting, just go to the new forum post and see what's up (but you should attend if possible).

... sound solid?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Sounds real' good.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596  Edited By development
Avatar image for manicproblematic
manicproblematic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi there. I think I will have to step down from working on this game entirely. A music project that I am involved with seems to be moving ahead faster than I had anticipated. I wish you all the best with this endeavor!

Also apologies for answering the phone last meeting and leaving the meeting early, but it was an important call. irrelevant now I guess.

Best of luck... I look forward to playing the finished game.

yami4ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#598  Edited By yami4ct

Wow, totally didn't know this was happening. If I wasn't sort of underwater on classes already, I'd totally get involved. Would really love to get some real world coding experience. I'll keep an eye out to see if you guys try this again next year. I hope to be able to contribute then. I'd be more useful with a couple more semesters of coding under my belt anyway. Good luck. I look forward to seeing what becomes of this!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manicproblematic: That's cool, enjoy it :)

@yami4ct: Hopefully we will do something like this next year. Things are just now starting to happen. I'm not a coder, but from what I can tell the code seems to just be scripts using the API of Unity. So if in future you want to join, you're in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is now an Art lead, and has become a design lead. The art team should head on over to the forum and vote in the survey.