Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
@Lemonhead said:

I think the difference between this site and Youtube for example, is that Google will listen to your copyright woes, and remove infringing content upon request. Megaupload seemed to deliberately not doing this, and that's probably illegal in some way.

I think, I'm not a lawyer.

I've seen loads of 'file removed for infringing...etc' on Megaupload. 
AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By AlexanderSheen

"Dick move Unicorn, dick move."

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By amir90

Now they need to remove filesonic, rapidshare, fileserve etc.

Opps, one goes down, 10 emerges.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By Nentisys

FUCK, I use megaupload all the time.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By Claude

Don't break the law, kids. And stay in school, don't do drugs, yada, yada...

Lagaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Lagaroth

Dear DoJ,

Go after some actual criminals. Last I checked there are far worse things on the internet than unpaid for music.

Love,

A Taxpayer

Edit: According to the BBC article the whole operation was instigated two weeks ago. Wonder if they thought SOPA/PIPA were going pass, or at least not have the backers flee.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Pour one out for ol' Megaupload. :(

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By korwin

So when do they get to shut down drop box and other similar online storage services?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By N7
@Sooty said:
@N7 said:

Good. They were all just a bunch of pirate sites anyway.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.   I have downloaded more legal material, such as Android ROMs from Megaupload than I have pirated material.
Well I downloaded a bunch of crazy illegal shit from there. So I win.
Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Xel
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Sooty
@N7 said:
@Sooty said:
@N7 said:

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.   I have downloaded more legal material, such as Android ROMs from Megaupload than I have pirated material.
You can technically download illegal content from anywhere if somebody uploads it. Megaupload took down illegal content so why do you think it's right they get shutdown? As I said before by the DoJ's logic Dropbox could be shut down because I can easily upload music and share it with friends via public links. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not Megaupload/Dropbox take down the content when they find it.
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By Hector

End of Line.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AlexanderSheen

And piratebay still lives...

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Xel said:

No Caption Provided
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShaggE

@Anwar said:

@N7 said:

@Sooty said:
@N7 said:

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. I have downloaded more legal material, such as Android ROMs from Megaupload than I have pirated material.

I can watch some copyright infringing stuff on youtube right now, the DoJ better shuts down youtube to stop it.

Exactly.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CaptainCody

@Blair said:

@CL60 said:

BULLSHIT. FUCK.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Itwastuesday
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By coakroach

I guess you dont need SOPA to pass to stop people from stealing shit on the internet.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deathstriker666

Lax extradition laws aren't the problem here. It's when they're abused for the most frivolous purposes and sidetrack law enforcement officials from deterring real crime. I won't argue whether or not America is over stepping its boundaries as its completely irrelevant especially with Internet matters. As said before, shutting one website down is not going to stop Internet Piracy. In many ways, it's counter-productive as it leaves a gap for other, shadier websites to pick up the slack.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Sooty

GENERAL ALLEGATIONS

At all times relevant to this Indictment:1.

KIM DOTCOM, MEGAUPLOAD LIMITED, VESTOR LIMITED, FINNBATATO, JULIUS BENCKO, SVEN ECHTERNACH, MATHIAS ORTMANN, ANDRUSNOMM, and BRAM VAN DER KOLK, the defendants, and others known and unknown to theGrand Jury, were members of the “Mega Conspiracy,” a worldwide criminal organization whosemembers engaged in criminal copyright infringement and money laundering on a massive scalewith estimated harm to copyright holders well in excess of $500,000,000 and reported income inexcess of $175,000,000

http://www.scribd.com/doc/78786408/Mega-Indictment

They make Megaupload sound like the Mafia. Hahaha.

How does any of that make sense when charged against a website that actively removes copyrighted material?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Anwar: That was a good read, thanks.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Sambambo

Meh, there are loads more hosting websites.

And yeah, the only reason anyone used that sort of website is for copyrighted material, so it isnt exactly unjust.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sooty

@SuperSambo said:

And yeah, the only reason anyone used that sort of website is for copyrighted material, so it isnt exactly unjust.

This is the stupidest attitude ever and is not true at all.

Websites like (and including) Megaupload were what allowed me to download custom made (legal) Android ROMS. Not everybody has their own hosting space and can afford the bandwidth.

Derp. People go on YouTube mostly to watch clips from copyrighted TV shows and listen to copyrighted music. You ok with YouTube getting taken off too?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#74  Edited By Hailinel

@Itwastuesday said:

Just for anyone who doesn't know, Kim Schmitz is a scumbag who deserves whatever he gets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Schmitz

Sounds like a real trustworthy guy. I can't imagine why anyone would suspect him of doing anything illegal.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#75  Edited By Gabriel

This is the best comment from the Neogaf thread.

If nothing else comes of this, I hope Kim Schmitz(Kimble) goes down. If there's any oldschool Quake 2 players around, they might remember liga.net, a Q2 ladder/tournament that he owned/ran, which he did some shady shit with(banned top players that beat him and disappeared without paying out to the winners at the end).

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sambambo

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

Websites like (and including) Megaupload were what allowed me to download custom made (legal) Android ROMS. Not everybody has their own hosting space and can afford the bandwidth.

Derp. People go on YouTube mostly to watch clips from copyrighted TV shows and listen to copyrighted music. You ok with YouTube getting taken off too?

Why are you always so up your own ass?

I didn't say I agreed with it, I said it wasn't unjust.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By napalm

Lets be honest here, most of the older filesharing web services are home to a bunch of illegal shit that makes it easy to access. MediaFire, RapidShare, FileUpload, etc. can certainly be used for legitimate purposes, but they are almost never are. That's why DropBox and other similar websites are coming around, as they are used less for nefarious purposes and more in terms with cloud storage. In terms of filesharing, there are many other websites that companies use to trade files between departments/companies/employees, and they certainly aren't relying on MegaUpload to get their content. And those using MegaUpload for legit content: that's good for you, but I hate to be honest, you're the three percent that use it that way.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Sooty

@SuperSambo said:

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

I'm not. I'm merely calling you out for saying something stupid.

We're done here.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro
@Itwastuesday said:

Just for anyone who doesn't know, Kim Schmitz is a scumbag who deserves whatever he gets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Schmitz

"A statement released by UMG claimed that a special arrangement exists between UMG and YouTube which allows UMG to take down any videos featuring their artists, regardless of copyright status."

These are the companies we're supposed to trust with SOPA/PIPA?
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sambambo

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

I'm not. I'm merely calling you out for saying something stupid.

We're done here.

Haha! Nice...

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Itwastuesday

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

You ok with YouTube getting taken off too?

To be fair, Youtube really does follow the DMCA's takedown guidelines. Megaupload did not. They would take down the link to illegal content sure, but they wouldn't remove it from their servers. Anyone with a direct link could still access the download. It's not the same situation. Youtube plays nice. Megaupload is run by scummy businessmen trying to make money off of direct piracy.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By ricetopher

Having done a good amount of reading and research, my only two outrages here are 1) US being the world police as usual and 2) if we can do this already then why is SOPA/PIPA a thing that needs to be passed?

The lesson to other file sharing sites here is that premium accounts are what piss off these corporations the most. It wasn't about the downloading of copyrighted material as much as it was the fact that Megaupload was making money off of it.

Also that piratebay posting is a serious blow-up about how stupid this whole anti-piracy thing is starting to look.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By X19

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

That's part of my youth.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Sooty
@Itwastuesday said:

@Sooty said:

@SuperSambo said:

You ok with YouTube getting taken off too?

To be fair, Youtube really does follow the DMCA's takedown guidelines. Megaupload did not. They would take down the link to illegal content sure, but they wouldn't remove it from their servers. Anyone with a direct link could still access the download. It's not the same situation. Youtube plays nice. Megaupload is run by scummy businessmen trying to make money off of direct piracy.

Direct link? As in a link to the download page? I wasn't aware any other type of link to content is possible on Megaupload.
I've seen many links that simply say "File removed due to violations of service" and so on
Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Itwastuesday

@Sooty: their download pages just have links to files on their servers. For instance, look at the podcast page on GB. The direct download link is just a button that takes you to the address of the file. On MegaUpload, they would remove that direct link but keep the file there. If you knew the address of the file it was still possible to access it. Unfortunately MegaUpload is down now, but you can try it for yourself if it ever comes back up. You can read a bit about it here:

!!!!!-I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WEBSITE IS REPUTABLE I JUST FOUND IT ON GOOGLE- http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-22965.html -I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WEBSITE IS REPUTABLE I JUST FOUND IT ON GOOGLE-!!!!

@Anwar: Go ahead and try to flag the video for takedown on copyright grounds. It explicitly states that only copyright holders can notify Youtube to take down their content. Copyright holder isn't aware of it/doesn't care? Nothing can be done.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Karl_Boss

Meh

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By Winternet

Apparently Anonymous is going to launch a massive counter-attack. This shit is ridiculous.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Subjugation

You know how they say "It is better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all," but in this case I feel like I dodged a bullet by not using Megaupload. I'll never know what I missed out on. The U.S. extending operations beyond its borders is concerning to me though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By penguindust

Excellent write-up over on Ars Technica on the "why" of this raid (oddly enough the indictment was issued two weeks ago). The investigation has been two years in development. While it might be difficult to defend some of Megauploads actions (and incriminating e-mails), the repercussions a conviction could have regarding how a site promotes itself could be far reaching. It will be an interesting case to follow as it proceeds.

Why the feds smashed Megaupload

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Fucking hell I had stuff on there for back up purposes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91  Edited By N7
@PenguinDust: Holy fuuuuck. If any of that is true, this will probably be the biggest thing to ever happen to the internet.

Play with fire and get burned. WOOSH.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By captain_clayman

shit. something else will replace it in like a week though.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By GJSmitty

This really sucks. Tons of mods for games and independent downloads came from there, and I've even used it myself before (not to use or upload "copyrighted content" though)

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By SSully

It baffles me the amount of people defending this site. Obviously not everything there was illegal and wrong, but MegaUpload is notorious for skimping when it comes to removing illegal content. It sucks that a site you may have used a lot went down, but that's what happens when you run a shady business, it eventually comes to bite you in the ass.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#95  Edited By Hailinel

@PenguinDust said:

Excellent write-up over on Ars Technica on the "why" of this raid (oddly enough the indictment was issued two weeks ago). The investigation has been two years in development. While it might be difficult to defend some of Megauploads actions (and incriminating e-mails), the repercussions a conviction could have regarding how a site promotes itself could be far reaching. It will be an interesting case to follow as it proceeds.

Why the feds smashed Megaupload

Jumping Jesus Christ. If that's all true, then it's no wonder the hammer is coming down on them.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#96  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Sites like these actually are pretty useful for transferring/distributing large files in a legal context (which I've done many times), but aside from BitTorrent, they are the biggest means of illegally distributing copyrighted material. If Megaupload actually made a decent show of deterring that sort of activity, I might have some pity on them, but they clearly knew it was their prime money maker and appear to have in fact done a hell of a lot to encourage it.

A lot of people won't like it, but if the fantasy of an all digital future is ever going to become a reality, sites like this have to be dealt with in some manner. Certainly not through means nearly as overbearing or down right dangerous to the future of the internet as SOPA/PIPA, but something has to be done.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Tireyo

I'm trying to feel really sad. Just isn't happening. =-|

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

"The indictment was unsealed one day after websites including Wikipedia and Craigslist shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to make it easier for authorities to go after sites with pirated material, especially those with overseas headquarters and servers."

FUCK THE WASHINGTON POST. Assholes.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By super2j

@CornBREDX said:

@Sooty: I agree. It's a very strange way to handle it, but I also don't have any answers to a real problem (whether people want to argue the legitimacy of piracy or not is not really my point just for clarification). It's not really going to stop it, I mean realistically the way the internet is (basically a means to share info/data across the world easily) you can never totally stop this kind of thing from happening but more and more Corporations are making serious pushes to stop it. They don't do that unless there is serious call for alarm most times. I don't know, it's just really weird to me as I am kind of conflicted on piracy as it is. I don't condone it but at the same time- when I did what is technically pirating- it was seemingly normal. I didnt even think anyone could care as it wasn't on the scale that kind of stuff is now.

Can you give me an example of when many companies came together for something, because i feel like that only happens for things the people dont want happening. Of course, i will keep an open mind, but as far as i am concerned. Companies will only do things that will force the public to stick to their services.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Example1013

God am I glad the United States isn't a democracy.