MIT shooting cause this week hasn't sucked enough

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Okay i'm getting mass replies...I made it sound wrong, its not like I am not sympathetic...

My only disagreement was with someone telling people to fuck off(in a rude way I might add) just because something happened close to him. If every time I felt fear I told people to fuck off, I would be banned by now. This is the internet, have your expectations right.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By FengShuiGod

@fengshuigod said:

@truthtellah said:

@fengshuigod said:

@truthtellah said:

@turboman said:

people are saying the first custody has died of injuries. He looked fine when they took him in to custody (In the picture above)

I just watched video of the nude suspect being taken into custody and he looked unharmed. Either those reports are about another suspect or they're just rumors.

nude guy was wrong guy that they let go. the only suspect they have captured so far was injured, some outlets reporting suspect 1 has died (unconfirmed)

Where did you hear that? I haven't seen any major news sources suggest this.

Local stations, plus witnesses on the scene, plus police scanners

Do you have a link to a report from one of their local stations? There seems to be uncertainty on the fate of at least one of the people arrested(so maybe that's where the confusion is).

Yeah, some outlets think guy who I saw getting released is actual suspect while other are reporting that the suspect in custody is either dead or wounded.

Two local stations:

http://livewire.wcvb.com/Event/117th_Running_of_Boston_Marathon

http://www1.whdh.com/video/7newslive

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This thread started out as a bummer and then just got worse. So much hate for all the wrong reasons.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By bassman2112

@gamefreak9 said:

Okay i'm getting mass replies...I made it sound wrong, its not like I am not sympathetic...

My only disagreement was with someone telling people to fuck off(in a rude way I might add) just because something happened close to him. If every time I felt fear I told people to fuck off, I would be banned by now. This is the internet, have your expectations right.

It's okay, but I feel I did not tell people to "fuck off," nor do I believe it was rude.

My use of expletives is because of passion, not anger. I hate seeing people be so fervent about being morally "right" in these kinds of arguments, and was asking for both sides to calm themselves and shut up (lack of "fuck" this time).

Edit: Let's take the focus away from this now, and bring it back to what matters - whether the police, and civilians, will be okay.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NBC News is reporting that explosive material and pressure cookers were recovered at the scene in Watertown. (items that were used in the Boston marathon bombing)

This could be incorrect, but they seem pretty confident in their source. Plus, locals appear to be confirming this, as well.

News is coming a little fast at this point. So, maybe we should slow down a tad on updates like this.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NBC News is reporting that explosive material and pressure cookers were recovered at the scene in Watertown. (items that were used in the Boston marathon bombing)

This could be incorrect, but they seem pretty confident in their source. Plus, locals appear to be confirming this, as well.

News is coming a little fast at this point. So, maybe we should slow down a tad on updates like this.

Yup, bombs found. NYT says that when they got in shootout with the police they lit a bomb and threw it at the officers, but it was too heavy, it exploded, one guy charged the police while the second guy fled, that is when the got the first suspect in custody.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you watching on TV or a stream? If a stream you have a link?

And yeah I'm just getting super confused at this point. So much info coming in and a lot of it is probably false.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By FengShuiGod

@truthtellah said:

And yeah I'm just getting super confused at this point. So much info coming in and a lot of it is probably false.

I posted two streaming links to local news stations earlier in the thread. The police scanner stream I was listening to just crashed though. Probably too much traffic.

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By gamefreak9

@breadfan said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jdh5153 said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@artemesia:

@breadfan said:

@bassman2112 said:

Terror is terror. Fear isn't something to be compared or measured. I'm glad you can sit back and look at it without having to feel fear, but if you were put into this situation, you know that no matter what, this is a feeling no-one

I am responding to this. You don't know what others go through, not all of us are clueless and live in safe areas of the world. Its ridiculous to think you you can understand the fear and pain people feel constantly, in places with just a little incident in Boston.

The only thing I hear here is, "all my life i've been a clueless American who has had no awareness of the danger of the world, but now that an incident that occurs every day in the world has happened in my personal context, I have a taste of its like and I think that gives me the right to tell others to shut up."

+1

Ugh.

+2

I have no interest in arguing, so after this I am not responding again; but I made no accusations or assumptions that anyone involved in this conversation, or who would read it, were from small-town america and nowhere else.

I'm not American, I just live in Boston for school. I understand people come from other places, but what I'm saying is that the argument you guys are getting involved with involves real people. Regardless of whether you're talking about Boston or Kuwait, to diminish any of it to "oh whatever, others have it worse" is simply disrespectful.

I was asking for people to stop with their arguing and realize that fear is something that is universally felt. If you choose to take this as a moment to look down on me and proclaim your moral dominance, so be it; but I maintain that I have nothing but sincere intentions.

I am not proclaiming any moral dominance but why can you tell people to shut up just because something happened around you? In GB i'm used to people arguing these things, yet for no particular reason this time its taboo. Its like you want to censor the internet because its close to you, if you can't deal with people discussing this then don't come online. No disrespect meant. People are well aware that people have died, that doesn't mean we should not have rational conversations about it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#111  Edited By TheHT

@truthtellah said:

I've been watching this and CNN on the tele.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fengshuigod: Yeah, looks like some conflicting reports on that. Which, well, isn't surprising for local news. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. After that gunfight though, I'd be surprised if neither suspect was dead or injured.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By FengShuiGod

@gamefreak9 said:
@bassman2112 said:

@breadfan said:

@jasonr86 said:

@jdh5153 said:

@gamefreak9 said:

@artemesia:

@breadfan said:

@bassman2112 said:

Terror is terror. Fear isn't something to be compared or measured. I'm glad you can sit back and look at it without having to feel fear, but if you were put into this situation, you know that no matter what, this is a feeling no-one

I am responding to this. You don't know what others go through, not all of us are clueless and live in safe areas of the world. Its ridiculous to think you you can understand the fear and pain people feel constantly, in places with just a little incident in Boston.

The only thing I hear here is, "all my life i've been a clueless American who has had no awareness of the danger of the world, but now that an incident that occurs every day in the world has happened in my personal context, I have a taste of its like and I think that gives me the right to tell others to shut up."

+1

Ugh.

+2

I have no interest in arguing, so after this I am not responding again; but I made no accusations or assumptions that anyone involved in this conversation, or who would read it, were from small-town america and nowhere else.

I'm not American, I just live in Boston for school. I understand people come from other places, but what I'm saying is that the argument you guys are getting involved with involves real people. Regardless of whether you're talking about Boston or Kuwait, to diminish any of it to "oh whatever, others have it worse" is simply disrespectful.

I was asking for people to stop with their arguing and realize that fear is something that is universally felt. If you choose to take this as a moment to look down on me and proclaim your moral dominance, so be it; but I maintain that I have nothing but sincere intentions.

I am not proclaiming any moral dominance but why can you tell people to shut up just because something happened around you? In GB i'm used to people arguing these things, yet for no particular reason this time its taboo. Its like you want to censor the internet because its close to you, if you can't deal with people discussing this then don't come online. No disrespect meant. People are well aware that people have died, that doesn't mean we should not have rational conversations about it.

Take this shit somewhere else. All of you.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By Milkman

This whole thing is absolutely nuts. If you're following the news, my suggestion would be to turn off the TV and getting on Twitter and/or Reddit. The major news networks are absurdly behind. CNN still says they don't know if Watertown is connected to MIT or the Boston Marathon. It's fairly evident that they're all connected. One bombing suspect (the guy in the black hat) seems to have been killed with the white hat guy still on loose and an active manhunt is ongoing for him.

There's going to be a news conference in Watertown soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

I'm watching and checking a few things. Some CNN, Huffington Post, and a few others. No Twitter, though, as that's just madness.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By TheHT
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Police said they are setting up a perimeter, area locked down, they are gonna wait for daylight, and do a house by house search.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By kishinfoulux

That Seth Mnookin guy is now on CNN being interviewed.

They also said that the naked guy and another guy in custody were one in the same. Sounds like some other info, but being withheld. I guess they want to make sure it's legit.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@theht said:

Word seems to be that Suspect One is dead, Suspect Two is being chased down, and both are the marathon bombers.

Bust out the noose.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux said:

@truthtellah said:

I posted two streaming links to local news stations earlier in the thread. The police scanner stream I was listening to just crashed though. Probably too much traffic.

Here is another scanner http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-Fire-and-EMS-Scanner-s146109/

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

This whole thing is absolutely nuts. If you're following the news, my suggestion would be to turn off the TV and getting on Twitter and/or Reddit. The major news networks are absurdly behind. CNN still says they don't know if Watertown is connected to MIT or the Boston Marathon. It's fairly evident that they're all connected. One bombing suspect (the guy in the black hat) seems to have been killed with the white hat guy still on loose and an active manhunt is ongoing for him.

I think it's reasonable to follow sources like CNN instead. Twitter and Reddit are just mass speculation and false reporting. Major news networks may be "behind", but they're at least not ahead of themselves or spreading endless misinformation. No one but a nearby resident directly effected by this has any reason for second by second rumor posting.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By OfficeGamer

I'm relatively young so I gotta ask, has it always been like this in the US? Guns here are freaking rare, when someone gets shot, which seldom happens, it's more shocking that the shooter had a weapon than the fact than a person got shot (I'm exaggerating), but it sounds like it's some kind of norm in the US that normal everyday people get shot to death... has this been a part of US culture for long?

Anyway, I hope this new shooting doesn't end badly.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I think it's reasonable to follow sources like CNN instead. Twitter and Reddit are just mass speculation and false reporting. Major news networks may be "behind", but they're at least not ahead of themselves or spreading endless misinformation. No one but a nearby resident directly effected by this has any reason for second by second rumor posting.

No, Reddit has been right all night, CNN has said lots of stuff that is outright wrong and full of speculation.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow thanks for all that Feng. And to be fair to the proper new sites, they are definitely behind but are trying to verify things and not spread rumors like Twitter is.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FengShuiGod

Police said they are setting up a perimeter, area locked down, they are gonna wait for daylight, and do a house by house search.

Quoting myself because.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@milkman said:

Reddit has access to the police scanners. Officers on the scanners just said that they're going to wait for daylight to continue their search for the white hat guy.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow thanks for all that Feng. And to be fair to the proper new sites, they are definitely behind but are trying to verify things and not spread rumors like Twitter is.

At best they are behind and I can respect that, but some (mostly cable news stations) are filling dead air time with speculation and have reported things throughout the night that have since been proven false.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By gamefreak9

fuck my Uni network most of that shit is blocked... didn't this thread begin like four hours ago? How is this still happening?

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm relatively young so I gotta ask, has it always been like this in the US? Guns here are freaking rare, when someone gets shot, which seldom happens, it's more shocking that the shooter had a weapon than the fact than a person got shot (I'm exaggerating), but it sounds like it's some kind of norm in the US that normal everyday people get shot to death... has this been a part of US culture for long?

Yes, shootings happen daily, but rarely are things this bad or receive this much media attention.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@milkman said:

No, Reddit has been right all night, CNN has said lots of stuff that is outright wrong and full of speculation.

That depends on what you consider the official position of Reddit, but whatever. I know some people like that kind of thing. I just think it's understandable for news outlets to be reticent to jump to unconfirmed conclusions.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fengshuigod said:

@truthtellah said:

@milkman said:

That depends on what you consider the official position of Reddit, but whatever. I know some people like that kind of thing. I just think it's understandable for news outlets to be reticent to jump to unconfirmed conclusions.

Being behind to wait for confirmed reports is one thing, filling air time with speculation because you have no new info and reporting conflicting stories or reporting things which are later proven wrong is another. CNN was doing absolutely laughable stuff earlier. I turned them off, doubt they have gotten better.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CNN should be taking notes from the local news in Boston, they seem to actually be waiting to make sure the information they have is true before releasing it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CNN should be taking notes from the local news in Boston, they seem to actually be waiting to make sure the information they have is true before releasing it.

I was literally about to post this. WCVB5 has been fairly dead on all night.

Gah, I have to go to class in three hours. Guess I'll have to function on no sleep tonight. There is no way I will be able to sleep without seeing the outcome.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By FengShuiGod

Cops are waiting for sunrise and disarming bombs thrown by the suspects.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends, but generally, no. This is an outlier. Big explosive attacks aren't very common, and big shootouts like the one seen tonight are not common around the nation. It's a big country though; so, it varies a lot across the nation. In some areas, it's unlikely to see many guns, and in some other places, it's a little less surprising. Though, heavy weaponry actually used in a crime is still rare. What's going on in Boston right now is extremely rare.

I live in Texas, a state known for its gun ownership, but even here, you don't see anything like this often. It's pretty unreal. You may see handguns used for some personal crimes, but this kind of heavy weaponry or explosives stuff is just ridiculous. I know it's getting attention right now, but it's really not as common as it may appear.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@fengshuigod said:

@truthtellah said:

@milkman said:

Being behind to wait for confirmed reports is one thing, filling air time with speculation because you have no new info and reporting conflicting stories or reporting things which are later proven wrong is another. CNN was doing absolutely laughable stuff earlier. I turned them off, doubt they have gotten better.

Right now, they're reporting that police have the area locked down and they will be going door to door in Watertown.

They are also saying that a controlled detonation by the bomb squad will be occurring soon.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By FengShuiGod

@officegamer said:

It depends, but generally, no. This is an outlier. Big explosive attacks aren't very common, and big shootouts like the one seen tonight are not common around the nation. It's a big country though; so, it varies a lot across the nation. In some areas, it's unlikely to see many guns, and in some other places, it's a little less surprising. Though, heavy weaponry actually used in a crime is still rare. What's going on in Boston right now is extremely rare.

I live in Texas, a state known for its gun ownership, but even here, you don't see anything like this often. It's pretty unreal. You may see handguns used for some personal crimes, but this kind of heavy weaponry or explosives stuff is just ridiculous. I know it's getting attention right now, but it's really not as common as it may appear.

These guys had automatic weapons, which are illegal. Last time someone engaged police like this (that I can remember) was the Hollywood shootouts in 97.

ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ShadowConqueror
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@officegamer said:

These guys had automatic weapons, which are illegal. Last time someone engaged police like this (that I can remember) was the Hollywood shootouts in 97.

Don't forget Dorner, that shit was nuts as well.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By TheHT

@breadfan said:

@peasantabuse said:

Gah, I have to go to class in three hours. Guess I'll have to function on no sleep tonight. There is no way I will be able to sleep without seeing the outcome.

The police have announced they'll be going door to door, so there's a chance you'll be following this madness during your class.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

@peasantabuse said:

I feel you man, I'm not stoked to face my classes tomorrow haha.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man this shit is scary. I live around the mile mark from the finish line of the marathon (college dorm, not rich lol) and I know people who live/lived/have family in Watertown :( Fortunately everyone I know is ok but this shit is messed up. Apparently the police are going door to door to catch the last guy now?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By FengShuiGod

A home is lit up with spotlights, cops think suspect tripped motion sensor and locked himself in a hosue, looks like we might not have to wait until sunrise.

EDIT: Boston commissioner tweets that suspect 1 is dead.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By TruthTellah

@fengshuigod said:

@truthtellah said:

@officegamer said:

Yeah, it's pretty nuts. Though, to my knowledge, automatic firearms are legal to some extent, just highly regulated(and varies state to state). Still, I'm guessing these guys probably owned illegal firearms, as I don't believe the firearms they probably used are legal in Massachusetts. Wouldn't be too surprising that people illegally making explosives might also have purchased illegal guns as well. Still crazy.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why they would wait until day, but I feel like that's just giving the guy time to escape. They seem so close.

Also listening to the scanners is sort of chilling. Also sucks that suspect 1 is dead. That's too easy for him. Hopefully they take the other alive.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. Something on this scale (grenades, automatic weapons, bombings) are rare, especially in the parts of the cities they occurred in. It really depends on where you live. Most places are safe, and I for example only know 1 person with a gun (hunting rifle, for hunting obviously), and murders are rare/never occur. In other places, such like the South Side of Chicago where I'm from, statistically suffer/have suffered more deaths than US soldiers in Afghanistan/Iraq have (500 something in a year) in bad neighborhoods with gangs and such. But based on your description of how guns are wherever you live, it's certainly easier to get a gun here/it's less unheard of than wherever you are. Guns actually being used against other people are rare though.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that my perception of foreigners' perceptions about guns in America is that shit pops off all time time, and that basically nowhere is safe, and that's not true at all. I have never felt personally in danger in my life. The stuff that I'm guessing you guys are seeing that leads you to this perception, like gangster movies and news stories like this, are rare or dramatized or only occur in certain parts of the country. As I said before something on this scale, like a shootout and grenades and multiple bombs, has been up to this point unheard of.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why they would wait until day, but I feel like that's just giving the guy time to escape. They seem so close.

Also listening to the scanners is sort of chilling. Also sucks that suspect 1 is dead. That's too easy for him. Hopefully they take the other alive.

Yeah, listening in on the scanner is pretty eerie. I hope they can get this fucker, and he doesn't off himself like the coward he is.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A home is lit up with spotlights, cops think suspect tripped motion sensor and locked himself in a hosue, looks like we might not have to wait until sunrise.

EDIT: Boston commissioner tweets that suspect 1 is dead.

Interesting. I saw that. Hopefully they can get the second so he can face justice.