MonsterQuest = Downfall of the History Channel?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

I've been watching this show for quite a while, and I've noticed several things.

- They never find anything.

- The whole thing seems like an excuse for unemployed white-men to dress up in army fatigues and take guns and camera equipment into the wilderness.

- The term "Cryptozoologist" is a moniker for "Did not finish High School"

- Having the eye-witnesses take lie-dectector tests...ok, that's mildly amusing.

- The dramatic recreations using bad CG of the monster encounters are absolutely hilarious.

- I watched the latest episode during an insomnia trip the other night...I'm sorry, but a loose dog is not a "Monster".

- The dramatic way in which they wait until the last five minutes for the lab-guy who analyzed the aforementioned high school dropout's evidence, only to find it inconclusive and worthless EVERY SINGLE TIME, is stupid.

- The narrator's voice is great; I think it's the same guy who does Gangland.

The first part of this shows my point. I wish the History Channel would return to the way it used to be: Nothing but religious fables and shows about Hitler's occult fascination.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

I've been watching this show for quite a while, and I've noticed several things.

- They never find anything.

- The whole thing seems like an excuse for unemployed white-men to dress up in army fatigues and take guns and camera equipment into the wilderness.

- The term "Cryptozoologist" is a moniker for "Did not finish High School"

- Having the eye-witnesses take lie-dectector tests...ok, that's mildly amusing.

- The dramatic recreations using bad CG of the monster encounters are absolutely hilarious.

- I watched the latest episode during an insomnia trip the other night...I'm sorry, but a loose dog is not a "Monster".

- The dramatic way in which they wait until the last five minutes for the lab-guy who analyzed the aforementioned high school dropout's evidence, only to find it inconclusive and worthless EVERY SINGLE TIME, is stupid.

- The narrator's voice is great; I think it's the same guy who does Gangland.

The first part of this shows my point. I wish the History Channel would return to the way it used to be: Nothing but religious fables and shows about Hitler's occult fascination.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've barely watched the show, but got the gist of it when they researched Stalin's failed "Human-Ape Hybrid" monsters.......Yup.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce
@Everyones_A_Critic:

OH MY GOD, do you remember the part of that where they had the CG monkeys with the armor on marching? I laughed like hell at that.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Bruce said:
"@Everyones_A_Critic: OH MY GOD, do you remember the part of that where they had the CG monkeys with the armor on marching? I laughed like hell at that. "
Yes, though vaguely so. I try to repress any memories of that show.
damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon

remember when the history channel had show about just World War 2 and Nazis. Good times.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By dethfish

I think the UFO shows are worse but not by much. I want more of the Universe shows and less doomsday shows.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce
@Dethfish77:

Banned from the Bible was great; they need more of that shit.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By dethfish
@Bruce: Yeah that stuff is pretty good but I kind of wish they showed less religious shows. I kind of get sick of them after a while but I do learn some interesting things.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

The History Channel still has the greatest show ever. The Universe.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By BlastProcessing

Wow, this looks like a more fucktarded version of Deadliest Warrior, another shitty show.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bruce

Yup/

Shermanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Shermanator

If the History Channel ever went under, I might through myself of a building

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phlegms

I can't afford cable. All I get is BBC and an Irish Language channel.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Duke_Lion

I totally agree with you.  Why would I want to waste my time when I know they wont find anything.  How the fuck did the show even get picked up.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Fucking horrible show.  Does Mail Call still run?  I haven't been watching much history channel since stuff like this and Jurassic Fight Club showed up.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FunExplosions

and Discovery channel is nothing but ghost hunting and house haunting. except for the occasional Myth Busters

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Sick_J0ke

I watched it for 5 minutes before I literally fell asleep... It seems like the type of show that either a 5 year old or a crazy old man would find believable/ interesting. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FunExplosions said:
"

and Discovery channel is nothing but ghost hunting and house haunting. except for the occasional Myth Busters

"
Dirty Jobs is awesome, Daily Planet is ok, Deadliest Catch is cool, Ice Road truckers ain't bad : )
500xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 500xp

lol MonsterQuest. I could never bring myself to watch this show and this youtube clip proves why. thank god The Universe is so awesome.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax
@FunExplosions said:
"

"
Both the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel have their share of retarded obviously false haunting shows. Discovery does have good stuff though, like Mythbusters (they need to show that more), Dirty Jobs, Ice Road Truckers, and Deadliest Catch
Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Psyx2

Last I checked the only ghost show on Discovery was A Haunting, and that's all dramatization. Travel Channel has several of them but that channel always sucked anyways.

Monsterquest has found something in the past though. They got footage of a giant squid... but I'm not sure how this qualifies as a monster. Guess they just like calling it that.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RipTheVeins
@natetodamax said:
" @FunExplosions said:
"

"
Both the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel have their share of retarded obviously false haunting shows. Discovery does have good stuff though, like Mythbusters (they need to show that more), Dirty Jobs, Ice Road Truckers, and Deadliest Catch "
yeah, but I kinda enjoy the A Haunting show since it's kinda like a really boring horror movie with commentary.  However, I can't stand the Travel channel's ghost shows...they're so retarded and the hosts are all douche-bags as far as I can tell who, if they were contacting "spirits," just taunt them. I guess that's why I like Paranormal State on A&E since even though the hosts has a sense of douche-baggery the whole point of the show is to help people...I also like the fact that on PS they prove that some of the people claiming they need help are just being lied to by the other people in the house or I remember one episode the whole reason they thought the house was haunted because of hallucinations and the house gave people headaches and weird illnesses was because of Carbon poisoning from a gas leak in the house...

...but back On-Topic Monsterquest is a pretty terrible show and one of the few shows on History that I don't enjoy, well..for the normal reasons anyway.
Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Psyx2
@RipTheVeins said:
" @natetodamax said:
" @FunExplosions said:
"

"
Both the Discovery Channel and the Travel Channel have their share of retarded obviously false haunting shows. Discovery does have good stuff though, like Mythbusters (they need to show that more), Dirty Jobs, Ice Road Truckers, and Deadliest Catch "
yeah, but I kinda enjoy the A Haunting show since it's kinda like a really boring horror movie with commentary.  However, I can't stand the Travel channel's ghost shows...they're so retarded and the hosts are all douche-bags as far as I can tell who, if they were contacting "spirits," just taunt them. I guess that's why I like Paranormal State on A&E since even though the hosts has a sense of douche-baggery the whole point of the show is to help people...I also like the fact that on PS they prove that some of the people claiming they need help are just being lied to by the other people in the house or I remember one episode the whole reason they thought the house was haunted because of hallucinations and the house gave people headaches and weird illnesses was because of Carbon poisoning from a gas leak in the house......but back On-Topic Monsterquest is a pretty terrible show and one of the few shows on History that I don't enjoy, well..for the normal reasons anyway. "
I could never stand that show... sure they're just trying to help, but some of the stuff they come up with is just ridiculous. Plus it's way too dramatic for me, most of the claims are just "I hear footsteps!" but then the hosts go way overboard and call it a demon or something.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24  Edited By natetodamax
@Psyx2: Exactly. A Haunting is mostly just people saying "I heard footsteps on the stairs while I was sleeping!" and the people behind the show create a CG demon or something and put it in.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bruce
@Psyx2: 

I know, that is the ONLY time they actually found what they were looking for.
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RipTheVeins
@Psyx2:  Yeah, there's some pretty bad stuff on there like the whole Ping-Pong ball eye contraption thing they do and all of the crazy brain suction cup things are pretty rediculous, but I still think that it's the most watchable out of all of these god-damned ghost shows (see what I did there? :P)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

The History Channel used to have a lot more history stuff on it (in addition to all the Hitler stuff) but they muddle up their programming now with reality crap.  Thank goodness all is not lost because if you can get History International Channel, then you can see what the main network used to be like.  I can excuse Discovery for all their reality shows because they still have a bunch of niche channels like The Science Channel and the Military Channel to air the stuff the main doesn't.  History only has History International and to a lesser degree Biography Channel.