My problem with Screened.

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By zombie2011

First off i didn't want to make this thread on Screened because i know i would just get flamed. Also Alex and Rorie seem like really cool guys and i have nothing against them.  

So when they first announced Screened i was psyched like most of you i thought "hey a couple dudes like me reviewing movies, that sounds great." But then i realized that Screened is pretty much just like any other movie site, run by movie snobs, who can't have fun watching movies.

Most the movies they review get a score of 0-2 stars, movies like GI: Joe, Jonah Hex, 2012, Alice in Wonderland, Edge of Darkness, The Green Zone, Clash of the Titans, The Wolfman i can go on but pretty much any movie that was fun to watch and made money at the box office.

Take those movies and compare it to a movie they gave 5 stars to, Where the Wild Things Are, a movie where absolutely nothing exciting happens. Right of the bat I among many others hated the protagonist and wanted him to be eaten by the monsters. Also i saw parents and there kids walk out of the film it was that fucking boring. This movie got 5 stars along with a bunch of other movies that no-ones ever heard of and look boring as fuck from the trailers. 

Sure GI: Joe and the movies i mentioned before aren't the best movies, but they are really fun to watch and movies i've seen multiple times because they are a good time. I just thought how GB is something different for game reviews, Screened would be something different for movie reviews instead its just another movie site. Also i really liked Edge of Darkness, if you liked Taken you might like this movie too. It's not as action packed but it's still the same kind of story, Death Sentence is aslo great. 

Don't flame me, i know most of you have unhealthy infatuation with anyone who was part of the old GS crew and feel like you have to defend them no matter what they do.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Pinworm45

So what do you propose? That they suddenly change their taste to suit yours? That they raise the scores of movies they think of bad (and by the way, all the ones you listed are god awful, so..) simply so you can perceive them as having 'fun'? 

Did you watch the twilight thing? Sure they were in pain the entire time, and they still had fun, so I don't really get that. 

Basically the issue here is you like terrible movies and don't like hearing about how terrible they are. That's fine. Avoid reviews. 

My problem with screened is that I really don't like the guy who isn't Alex Navarro. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@zombie2011 said:

"
GI: Joe, Jonah Hex, 2012, Alice in Wonderland, Edge of Darkness, The Green Zone, Clash of the Titans, The Wolfman
   "

But these movies DID suck.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

Just because somebody didn't like something you liked doesn't mean they're wrong.  If you liked a movie, then great, good for you.  You don't need someone to agree with you to know that you liked a movie.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kmdrkul

They are movie critics, they can't just rate and reviews movies based off of how fun they are.  It's their job to be somewhat pretentious and nitpick.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Phished0ne

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW 
 dude seriously, dont like it, awesome! dont go there 
 why post a thread bitching about the site when you could instead just not use it? 

I dont really like reviews period i havent watched/read a review on GB for a long time, and i've never read a screened review. The video features on the site are amazing though, just like on Giant Bomb.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Oh my god people have different opinions than yours!?  

=O

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Rockdalf
I'm with Pinworm on this one.  Just because they don't match your standards for movies, just means it's not your site to visit.  Find another movie website that does.  I just wouldn't go as far as to call people who enjoy more "artistic" movies over "explosion" movies snobs.  That is unless they call you simple.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By CoolDrMoney
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" Oh my god people have different opinions than yours!?   =O "
No need to make that face
RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RoujinX
@zombie2011: 

All those movies you listed as getting 0 to 2 stars were BAD MOVIES! How hard is that to understand? 

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mariek430
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @zombie2011 said:

"
GI: Joe, Jonah Hex, 2012, Alice in Wonderland, Edge of Darkness, The Green Zone, Clash of the Titans, The Wolfman
   "

But these movies DID suck. "
This. That stuff was awful garbage
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DanielJW

It sounds like your tastes and theirs don't really line up. In which case Screened probably isn't the site for you. Or, at the very least, stick to the feature stuff and steer clear of reviews. 

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By turboman

Where The Wild Things Are is one of the best movies last year IN MY OPINION 

see how that works?

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emkeighcameron

No Caption Provided
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@CoolDrMoney said:
" @Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" Oh my god people have different opinions than yours!?   =O "
No need to make that face "
;(
NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeoGecko
@zombie2011: Hey man, I do not want to flame you, but that site is the movie Giant Bomb.  For film snobs, like me, it offers a great deal of insight.  On here many games that the vast majority of people don't care for are given high rating (Braid, being the best example).  Just saying, it sucks that Screened wasn't what you wanted it to be. 
itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By itsmadness

It just means that their taste doesn't match up with yours. As for me, they seem to agree with anything I tend to like, so I like their opinions most of the time. I tend to agree, yes, those movies do such (ughhh Clash of the Titans.....)

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Milkman

So, basically, you're asking "Why can't people share my terrible taste in movies?"

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NeoGecko
@Mariek430: I enjoyed Green Zone.
myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By myke_tuna

I kind of get what you're saying because sometimes I think the guys take it a bit too far, especially Alex. Sometimes I feel he's trying to do another Big Rigs review for all the bad movies. But on the other side, like TheMustacheHero said, those movies are pretty shitty. I think the guys are just having fun with them since they apparently didn't have any fun watching them (and that's cool and their opinion in the end). You have to remember that this is who they are and they're not going to change because you think the chase scene in G.I. Joe is incredible amounts of fun. I'm very forgiving when it comes to movies (even the terrible ones) and can watch things others would make hyperbolic "this is so terrible I would rather X" remarks about, but I understand others aren't. Sometimes I agree with them and sometimes I don't, but I still think Screened is a damn good site in the end.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @zombie2011 said:

"
   "

But these movies DID suck. "
This. Also, inflated review scores are part of what makes Video Game and Movie reviewers seem ridiculous, so any drop from the norm is likely for the better.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I just might be on board with you if not for their positive review of A-Team. That was "a fun movie to watch" as well and if your assessment was accurate it should have received two stars, but it got four. The difference is that A-Team is just a better movie than GI: Joe. It's not like the whole explosion genre is being discriminated against by Screened.

Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland were indeed garbage. Clash was too serious for its own good and Alice (the character and the film) is so boring it hurts. Nobody likes Jonah Hex except a handful trolls on Rotten Tomatoes. I feel like you didn't really think this thread through all the way.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ramyun

I don't really have a problem with the Screened guys and their reviews mainly because most of their points are valid. I just want more video features and content instead of just What to Watch and trailers. I'm hoping the Quick and Dirty video feature is a weekly thing. Maybe I'm just spoiled by all this daily goodness on Giant Bomb.

Slique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slique

I kind of don't get what it is you're trying to say here. You're angry because they're rating bad films... with bad scores? Last time I checked, didn't GiantBomb do essentially the exact same thing, only with games?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By alternate

Reviews are subjective - especially movies as unlike say a game you can have a really well made movie that you still hate.  Basically though you like dumb action movies but that doesn't mean anyone who doesn't is a snob.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By RVonE

This thread is great!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#27  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Opinions on movies, games, books etc. differ greatly from person to person, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who wouldn't agree with the reviews the Giant Bomb crew give. I don't think they're movie snobs myself and with an exception or two I've very much enjoyed reading their reviews.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blair
@rjayb89 said:
" Just because somebody didn't like something you liked doesn't mean they're wrong.  If you liked a movie, then great, good for you.  You don't need someone to agree with you to know that you liked a movie. "
allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By allprox

I get what you're saying, but dude, GI Joe was terrible and movies that are on par with that level of quality are going to get those kind of reviews. Take the Grown Ups review Rorie wrote, the film was a piece of crap and as such recieved a score to reflect that. They rate everything on the same scale so there are obviously going to be ones with dismal scores. But I think there is still room for movies that are just about fun too. That new A-Team movie reviewed well ( 4 stars I think ) so they're not as snobish as they seem. They have a broad range of tastes and I think they are capable of fairly reviewing those movies that are just for fun and widely known as well as those that are a bit more indie.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By sagesebas
@zombie2011: Really glad some one else disliked that movie, when I saw it everyone was tearing up and saying how much they loved it, and I personally couldn't stand it
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By MisterMouse

The rating system for movies aren't based on whether the movie is exciting or not, there is a lot that goes into it. And in reality all of those movies you mentioned were not great movies, and many other reviews are similar to the views of screened. You have to take in effect the acting plot and many other aspects of what a good movie is to fully rate a movie. Take The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, never in that movie did I think "wow this movie is exciting," but it is still very much a critically acclaimed movie and the acting, music, and story were top notch. 

One final note is that the public generally goes to see what is relevant to them and more importantly what they have seen a lot of advertisements for and those often seem to poor from a critics stance.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Trilogy
@zombie2011 said:

Don't flame me, i know most of you have unhealthy infatuation with anyone who was part of the old GS crew and feel like you have to defend them no matter what they do."

I was with you until here. I'm kind of tired of this argument because it comes up everytime somebody disagrees with one of the guys. It's just kind of lazy at this point. It's like you're trying to guilt people into agreeing with you because you're a fanboy if you don't. There are people in your description that exist  but doesn't strengthen an argument.

On topic though, most movie reviewers are snobby. It just part of the culture of the whole thing. I can't stand it and it's why I don't read movie reviews. But it's ok to disagree with a reviewer. I disagree with the GB crew a lot of the time. I don't really want to get into the whole "opinion discussion" because that's another thing I'm tired of but  hopefully you get my point.

If you have fun watching those movies then keep on watching them dude. I'm pretty much the same way with movies. For example, I loved Shoot Em Up because it was stupid fun. It wasn't deep. It wasn't food for thought.  It didn't change my life. It was just a fun movie.
GrahamMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#33  Edited By GrahamMaster

I though you'd be saying how it has some technical issues with it, like not being able to edit the awards movies have been given, but here you are just complaining about how their reviews are legitimate and make sense.

GrahamMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By GrahamMaster

You look like a guy who would like reading the reviews of Armond White.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

They rated Marmaduke perfectly. And in my book that got them quite a few points. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afroman269
@Milkman said:
" So, basically, you're asking "Why can't people share my terrible taste in movies?" "
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Sambambo
@Milkman said:
" So, basically, you're asking "Why can't people share my terrible taste in movies?" "
This.
TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheKing

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the site. Alex and Matt seem like typical movie snobs who hate all things popular and fun.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By taccyp

All those movies you said were fun to watch are ass.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RVonE
@TheKing said:
" Yeah I'm not a big fan of the site. Alex and Matt seem like typical movie snobs who hate all things popular and fun. "
They liked the A-Team.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jeffgoldblum

That's weird. As far as I can tell Screened gives out a lot more positive reviews than they do negative ones. 
They also know theirs a place for dumb action they just like it to be done well.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

Dude, come on!  These guys love mindless action movies.  The movies you listed were rated poorly because they suck.  They can't give 5 stars to every movie just because it gave them something to do on a Friday night, they actually take notes and use their brain to give us an intelligent review. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Animasta

my problem with screened is that I hate most movies, but I guess that's not really a problem with screened so much :P

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Fallen189

I just don't like the staff. The website seems fine for what it is, but I usually use IMDB anyway because it's all there.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By JJWeatherman

I do not agree with this. Not one bit.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By gingertastic_10

And that's why I never go there.

I agree with you. But I don't like ANY movie critic for that matter.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Gotta watch out for those opinions man....they'll getcha.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tranquilchaos

I would have commented on the thread creator's poor taste, but it's been done.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't agree with their tastes on everything. For example, Alex hates Chris Rock and I love Chris Rock. So when it comes to matters regarding Chris Rock, i will never listen to Alex.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bhhawks78

Stop liking shitty movies.  Problem solved.