Need Some More College Advice

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

So I am looking for some help to secure my interest in a university. I know I said college in the title, but to me they're all same; college or university, whatever. The university in question is DePaul University here in Chicago, IL.

First of all are transportation concerns. I don't live in the city, rather I'm about an hour away. I will not stay on-campus either. I would have to wake up earlier to get on a train and go there and later in the day come back. Oh and if you know a little bit about DePaul already, my primary interest is in the Lincoln Park campus.

Second is in regards to finances. Their yearly tuition for a full-time student is approximately $26,000. Is this a very large sum of money when compared to other tuition prices? And that's completely separate from classes, correct me if I'm wrong, although I don't believe I am. I figure it's this high is because they are considered a private university because of their Catholic affiliation.

Third, my major/minor. The reason DePaul catches my attention is their wide variety of majors and minors. I would probably major in Animation BS, which is 3D animation for video, TV, games, and so on. I would then minor in Japanese. According to my teacher, DePaul is the only location in midwest-America that hosts the JLPT. If the hosts of the JLPT trust DePaul, I trust DePaul to have great Japanese language studies.

Lastly, study abroad. They have study abroad programs and since everyone figured me going to Japan was a silly and fucked-up idea, I think we could all settle for a program done through a proper institution. Right?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me. This thread will be deleted when I am satisfied with the answers received.
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

I'm glad you came to your sense with going to Japan.  At least try going abroad.

$26k isn't terrible.  Just not great. Although transportation is a nice way to save money.  I assume you already have some credentials from your old college so I am assuming you are going to finish up in the next 2 years?  That would be $52k plus your older college debts.  I will assume your older debts add up to $10k which would add up to $62k.  That isn't all that bad, it is normal debt to come out.  If you can buckle down your expenses after college you should be in good shape.

Just be sure you know you can handle 2 hours of travel a day.  I went into New York to go to school and ended up traveling 4 hours a day total. It took the energy out of me.  Plus missing the trains were horrible waiting 15 to 30 minutes which can really ruin your day.  My days would amass 10 to 14 hours of a day between school and the train.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Godwind: No, if I go to DePaul when I want to (early 2010) then I'll have accrued uhh... let's see... probably 7 or 8 classes. So about two semesters worth of class. Then animation takes a couple years, so I'd say 3 years at DePaul as a minimum. And yes I realize the train can be bothersome and tiring, but I figure it might also be a good place to get some work done? Such as studying Japanese or typing a paper. Although that sounds easier said than done.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By super_machine

I went through a similar situation, so here is my advice. Don't worry so much about the drive the first semester. An hour isnt too bad as long as you dont get stuck in the morning rush. If you have an early class, get up and get moving on time. Not all your classes will be in the AM, so it may not be a problem. After that first semester you may want to live closer, and the new friends you make may help in finding room mate or information on good affordable living. If you have relatives who live closer to campus, now is the time to start getting on their good side. When I went to college in Detroit, I lived over an hour out of the city, but my God father lived only 15 miles out. Long story short, I stayed there for free the four years I was in college. It saved me a lot of money.
Lets talk about finances. If your parents are helping you pay tuition, that is great. Show up on weekends, help out, be nice to them. But, look for other means such as scholarships...etc. Sit down with the schools financial aid advisor and explore every option. I managed to get roughly 15% of my tuition covered in scholarships and all I did was applied for them. And they were just random, misc scholarships. Just find as many ways to cut down on the final tuition bill, because that is money you will be ownig for a long time to come. Before you start dropping $27k a year, make sure you know the degree you are earning will pay off as a career. There is no magic formula for knowing, but if you went into metal crafts and spent $100k getting that degree, chances are you wont have a great paying job to pay off the student loans. My point is, make sure your degree is flexible enough to get you where you want to go in your career and can earn you a good living. I'm stuck paying off my student loans for eternity, but I was flexible in enough in college to get a job that pays well. Part of the successful formula is taking internships (look for internships asap) and exploring classes outside of your major. By the time I graduated with my illustration degree (about as useful as metal crafts), I had enough knowledge in other areas to get me to where I am now, a CGI artist at a VFX studio. Also, learn what types of job are in demand in your field, and make a point of having a diversified portfolio. If you want to get into animation, great! But don't have a demo reel of just monsters and aliens. That doesn't show a lot of flexability, or creativity as an artist. I see demo reels all the time, and 90% are garbage. Its sad too, because those people wasted all that time and money without ever knowing what to expect after college. You have to know what companies want if you want to be that guy that gets hired out of college. This is why I recomend the internship and learning as much about the career your degree is targeting. Learn about the markets, the trends...etc. Be a freaquent visitor to the college career services department. They will get you hooked up with infomation on internships...etc. Since you are in the chicago area, there should be studios seeking interns. The sooner you get realworld experience, the better you will be when you get out of college.
The study abroad thing sounds cool. Just make sure its worth the time and money as far as your career goes. The last thing you want in college is to waste both.
Good luck.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
@super_machine: Thanks. Yeah the study abroad is tricky because the college in Japan they send you to does not have that animation stuff. It's basically languages and the study of those languages. We'll see as far as that is concerned. What do you think about the $26,000/year tuition? Is this a normal going price then?
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By matthew

I go to University of Nevada, Reno.  The cost per semester isn't all that high...I'd say about 6k.  For the studying abroad bit, USAC (I'm not sure what it means/stands for, but a couple of my friends have gone through it) is the mode by which studying out of country is made possible.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Godwind
@Vinchenzo said:
" @Godwind: No, if I go to DePaul when I want to (early 2010) then I'll have accrued uhh... let's see... probably 7 or 8 classes. So about two semesters worth of class. Then animation takes a couple years, so I'd say 3 years at DePaul as a minimum. And yes I realize the train can be bothersome and tiring, but I figure it might also be a good place to get some work done? Such as studying Japanese or typing a paper. Although that sounds easier said than done. "
I can ensure you that a train may not be a guaranteed place to get work done.  People talking on their cell phones, people getting up and down out their seats.  The trains can be crammed during rush hour where you have no seats at all.  Studying is not a solution on the train.  By the time was doing some summer school, I decided to screw the idea of working on the train and started playing my DS on the train instead which was doable.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By super_machine
@Vinchenzo: $26k a year is a little high without including room and board. But, private schools are more expensive than public universities. Just make sure its worth the time and money. Like, could you possibly do the same degree at a less expensive school? Remember, you will have to pay back what you spend on tuition unless you can find a way to pay for it without student loans. You could whore yourself out to a 1000 fat chicks for $100, or 100 really fat chicks for a $1000 bucks.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo
@super_machine: I understand. Sure I probably have a couple decent animation schools near me. But here's the thing. I really want that Japanese class as well. I just think it would be more consistent and easier if I had all my classes at one university. Plus, the community college I am attending at the moment only has two semesters of Japanese language. They do seem to offer quite a bit of financial aid, so I'll try to set up a campus visit to talk with a financial advisor and such. I'll try not to rush into it.

As for you Godwind, maybe so. But who says I'll always be going home during rush hour? Truth be told, isn't it easiest to find a job on campus, and put that money toward tuition? The days may be longer but I figure I would be going to school in the morning and coming back at night quite a few days a week. Most likely later than rush hour. Of course this entire situation is not guaranteed but maybe a possibility? We'll see. As I just said, I'll take a campus visit and check out the school and classes.

P.S. Something that sounds really awesome about the Japanese courses are that they can partner you up with a native Japanese speaker going to the school. They also have some other out-of-class stuff you can do.

One more little question, is it okay that I don't want to get 2 years of community college in first? My dad keeps bringing it up, but I simply don't want to do it. Japanese alone requires 3 years, and the animation requires 3-4. Obviously the reason my dad keeps talking about community college is because it's significantly cheaper, so I understand that aspect.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Stang

As long as you realize that an AA is relatively worthless. If you do plan to fully commit yourself to a 4 year university after completing general education at a community college, go for it. That alone will save you a boat load of cash.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By super_machine
@Vinchenzo: A big problem with private colleges is a lot of CC credits don't transfer. They tend to me a bit more selective than public universities. I spent two years in CC and maybe got four or five classes that actually counted when I transfered. Things like English 101, philosophy, public speaking, a photoshop class. So you need to do some research into that. You may find it cheaper to get those classes out of the way first then you can focus the three years or so on your actual field of study. Its tough I know because an art degree isnt something you can just pick up on your 2nd or 3rd year of college. I had to take all sorts of foundation and early level art classes my first two years that I couldnt have taken any where else. In the end, you need to get a solid game plan going before you make the final move. Finances, field of study, career choices...etc. After all, you arent just going to college to learn and make friends. You are also their to build the foundation of a career in a field that interest you. As far as going to Japan to study language, it sounds awesome. I would have loved to do that too as I am a huge fan of traditional Ukiyo-e print work. However, you need to ask yourself how will this help me in building the career I want after college? If you plan on persuing work for a Japanese company then yes. However you need to consider there are far more options available in the US. Taking the Japanese aproach may limit your range of job opportunities and may never pan out. Its not like you still wont have options to persue work that doesnt use the language degree, but  It all comes down to time and money. The less money you spend on college, the more money you can live with after. The more marketable you are in your degree the more opportunities you will have available to you when you graduate.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vinchenzo
@super_machine: As far as my community college is concerned, it's on DePaul's list of approved schools that they regularly transfer credits with. Obviously that doesn't mean all my classes will transfer, but here's what I'm taking so you get an idea....

• English 101
  • English 102
  • Speech 101
  • College 101 (Stupid required course. Don't expect it to transfer.)
  • Japanese for 2 full semesters.
  • Drawing 101.

Then from a different college, Institute of Art.

• Another basic drawing class. Focused on perspective and stuff associated.
  • An introductory computer class. (Don't expect this to transfer either.) I had to take it because they quizzed me on Microsoft Office '07, but I only had the previous one so I failed. This class focused on Microsoft Office products.

That's what I have done, and what I'm planning to do this fall. As far as Japanese is concerned, yes I would like to work for a company in Japan. I will look into it further and hopefully set-up a campus visit as I mentioned. Thanks for your help so far.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

$26,000 isn't bad. if it's a private college then it will cost a little more. my brother pays $20,000 a semester when he went to college. u can also find cheaper colleges around that have the same program. i go to community college so it only cost me just about $2,000 a semester.