New Headphones: The Road to Becoming an Audiophile

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By KnifeySpoony

I have never been too picky in terms of what I used to listen to my music, my car speakers are old and busted, I have a very cheap system for my computer and I have been using a beat and broken pair of headphones that came with a CD player about 5 years ago*. I finally decided after a couple months to treat myself to a pair of Sennheiser 202s which just came today.

No Caption Provided
The difference is unbelievable, I can't be happier with my purchase. It is fantastic being able to hear every part of each song. This is the first time I've ever sought out anything decent to listen to music with, and considering I have music playing all day I cannot believe it took me this long. Sadly now I am playing around with the idea of replacing the speakers in my car because of how enjoyable music is with these.
Anyone who is looking to change the way they listen to music should seriously consider getting a good pair of headphones, it has been completely worth it.
So what are your guys' experience with speakers/headphones or sound systems? What brands are your favorites?

*These headphones no longer have the foam covers and have been muffling sound for a while.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KnifeySpoony

I have never been too picky in terms of what I used to listen to my music, my car speakers are old and busted, I have a very cheap system for my computer and I have been using a beat and broken pair of headphones that came with a CD player about 5 years ago*. I finally decided after a couple months to treat myself to a pair of Sennheiser 202s which just came today.

No Caption Provided
The difference is unbelievable, I can't be happier with my purchase. It is fantastic being able to hear every part of each song. This is the first time I've ever sought out anything decent to listen to music with, and considering I have music playing all day I cannot believe it took me this long. Sadly now I am playing around with the idea of replacing the speakers in my car because of how enjoyable music is with these.
Anyone who is looking to change the way they listen to music should seriously consider getting a good pair of headphones, it has been completely worth it.
So what are your guys' experience with speakers/headphones or sound systems? What brands are your favorites?

*These headphones no longer have the foam covers and have been muffling sound for a while.
redace25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By redace25

I had pretty much the exact same experience as you did. For years i used the crappy Apple ones included but then bought a decent set of Sennheisers. Loved them.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dopeman

yeah i went from the lowest end to the highest end and it blew my mind. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Wow. A whole $26 on Amazon. LOL!   I use my Grado SR-80s with my custom-made Hybrid Head Vacuum Tube headphone amp.  For my iPod Classic 120G, I use Shure e3cs.

Mosey on over to head-fi.org & get yourself schooled on what being an audiophile is all about.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Lind_L_Taylor: I didn't say this was top of the line, but more of an introduction into the world of audio listening.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: I didn't say this was top of the line, but more of an introduction into the world of audio listening. "
You need to spend at least $100 to increase the quality. $25, $20...that's the low-end. It isn't audiophile.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Lind_L_Taylor: I know that, that is what I am saying. Now knowing what I can achieve from something that costs $30 I am interested in what the higher tier stuff is like.

I thought the title was pretty clear on what I was saying but I guess not.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

The only thing that sucks is that you can only go up in quality, never down. At least that's how I am. Now I'm up to $200 Shure noise isolating earbuds. If I lost them I'd have to run out and buy another pair immediately, I simply cannot live without them at this point.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inkeiren

I use Jabra c820s. I don't feel like dropping any more money than that at the moment.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Akeldama
No Caption Provided
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@MB said:
" The only thing that sucks is that you can only go up in quality, never down. At least that's how I am. Now I'm up to $200 Shure noise isolating earbuds. If I lost them I'd have to run out and buy another pair immediately, I simply cannot live without them at this point. "
They have 2 year warranties. Mine broke just before the warranty. Twice. So I'm on my 3rd pair that I didn't have to pay for.

Actually you need to try different headphones.  I need to hear my surrounding environment, so the Shures block out too much sound & are best used for travel.  You should check out the Grado SR-80s.  If my Shures died, I wouldn't be in a rush to get new ones, since I have a few other larger headsets (Grados, Sennheisers).
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnifeySpoony

What are a good pair for outdoor use? The headphones I bought were to take outdoors while at work, but I'm afraid that it may block too much sound if someone is trying to talk to me.

Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Protoroll
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @KnifeySpoony said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: I didn't say this was top of the line, but more of an introduction into the world of audio listening. "
You need to spend at least $100 to increase the quality. $25, $20...that's the low-end. It isn't audiophile. "
You obviously haven't tried the Koss Porta Pro headphones. The industry secret $100 headphone that only cost around $30.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@KnifeySpoony said:
" What are a good pair for outdoor use? The headphones I bought were to take outdoors while at work, but I'm afraid that it may block too much sound if someone is trying to talk to me. "
I think Bang-Olofson(?) has a pair catered for that.

@Protoroll said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @KnifeySpoony said:
You need to spend at least $100 to increase the quality. $25, $20...that's the low-end. It isn't audiophile. "
You obviously haven't tried the Koss Porta Pro headphones. The industry secret $100 headphone that only cost around $30. "
I consult head-fi.org for what is good or not.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By snide

I've been a head-fier for years. I recently upgraded from my Audio Technica ATH900 / Pimeta setup to a a Senn HD650 / Meier Audio Cantate.2 setup. It's a terrible, terrible hobby to get into. I've at least been able to keep my upgrades spaced over the course of a couple years.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By agentboolen

I have a good Phillips over the ear head set.  The only problem I have is the cord is a bit long. Anyone know of a really good pair that isn't over $40 and doesn't have a long 6ft cord?

Otherwise I would recommend not just listening to MP3's there compressed sound and CD's have much better quality then anything there selling on Itunes...  If your a true Audiophile   ;)

Benjaminvdv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Benjaminvdv

Wait, what? Good and Philips in 1 sentence? That's just not right. ;)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Benjaminvdv said:
" Wait, what? Good and Philips in 1 sentence? That's just not right. ;) "
Fuckin' A. Philips sucks.

@agentboolen said:
" I have a good Phillips over the ear head set.  The only problem I have is the cord is a bit long. Anyone know of a really good pair that isn't over $40 and doesn't have a long 6ft cord? Otherwise I would recommend not just listening to MP3's there compressed sound and CD's have much better quality then anything there selling on Itunes...  If your a true Audiophile   ;) "
You can get away with ALAC or other lossless encoding. However, it eats up a lot of disk space & for iPods & such, you might as well use a decent compression for those devices.

As far as cd players are concerned, I've found some pretty good deals that may work for audiophiles.  Denon has one with burr-brown audio dacs for only $80 (marked down from $349):

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DVD-1940CI-player/dp/B000T892MA/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1L3WGF1WG4IXC&colid=211POBEFHP9BU

They also have a Marantz for $70. Both of those are good brands & the prices are much cheaper than searching for a dedicated cd player on ebay or audiogon (where it would be in the hundreds or more which seems a bit nutty for something seldom used).  Plus you can play DVDs, SACDs, DVD-Audio, or mp3 cds, etc.  I've been thinking of picking up the Denon.  Their higher end, older model has the same features. The only difference is the weight (although for a < $100 Denon, it's still heavy for its price range).

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai
@Lind_L_Taylor: you are such an ass.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Mordukai said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: you are such an ass. "
Reason...?
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai
@Lind_L_Taylor: If you can't figure it out on your own then there is really no reason why I should give you reason. 
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Mordukai said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: If you can't figure it out on your own then there is really no reason why I should give you reason.  "
Stop jacking other people's threads, asshole.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Mordukai said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: If you can't figure it out on your own then there is really no reason why I should give you reason.  "
Stop jacking other people's threads, asshole. "
LMAO...and thats coming from self proclaimed troll. How ironic. 
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

I NEED good comfortable headphones, and speakers.
When i got the 2nd gen ipod, I couldn't stand the shitty apple headphones. Since then i haven't used or purchased shitty audio equiptment.

i have had several SENNHEISER headphones. they are real nice. My surround sound is really good too....

i got the iphone sennheisers, they are good and have some button to do shit + mic i reccomend for iphone users

And i am talkin about earbuds, before i would wear big headsets. i still have a few, but i wear earbuds now. Beause i don't wanna carry around shit

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Otacon

I love headphones but am strict with myself in that I don't want to spend over £30 on a pair. I usually go with sennheiser for mixing and Skullcandy lowriders for when I'm out and about as they are small and look pretty cool as well as packing a punch.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Mordukai said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Mordukai said:
Stop jacking other people's threads, asshole. "
LMAO...and thats coming from self proclaimed troll. How ironic. 
"
I never claimed to be one. I just went on along with the labels. You're being the troll here, DUDE.