New Job - New Life

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Morrow

Who would have thought things can go so smooth?

I've been working abroad for the past 2 (almost 3) years. I live in Germany and worked in Switzerland, and without a driver's licence, I had to go by train, bus, and even by foot. 1 1/2 hours every morning, and another 1 1/2 hours every evening. Your private life is pretty much reduced to nothing if you get up at 5am and come home at 8pm. During spring season even 6 days a week.

This, plus a boss who doesn't treat you very nicely, rarely gives you a day off if ever, and expects you to care for an area of 110000 ft² full of living plants (I'm a gardener, btw.) by yourself. Ok, an apprentice helped, but it's still a lot of responsibility and not to mention work.

I've been fed up with this for quite some while.

So, my boss screamed at me for no reason once, twice, and after the third time, I went to the secretary's office and wrote my resignation. That was May 14th. And it felt good. Even without a perspective for my future, I was feeling very positive towards my decision and had an inner calm that gave me the feeling I did the right thing. In reality however, I was going to be unemployed. Which doesn't suck that much in Germany since you get 60% of your previous wage, and my swiss wage was... well, very good.

So far, I wrote two job applications. One is still unanswered. The other employer from Germany called me two days after I sent it. He invited me to an interview today. And gave me the contract afterwards.

WTF?! :D

So from the first of August onwards, I only have to go by train for about 25 minutes, and walk the rest of the way, which are another 5 minutes. Sure, I'll earn less money, but having more free-time is a lot more valuable to me than cash.

So not even a month after I quit my job I got a new one. Life is good to me :)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Morrow

I've been working abroad for the past 2 (almost 3) years. I live in Germany and worked in Switzerland, and without a driver's licence, I had to go by train, bus, and even by foot. 1 1/2 hours every morning, and another 1 1/2 hours every evening. Your private life is pretty much reduced to nothing if you get up at 5am and come home at 8pm. During spring season even 6 days a week.

This, plus a boss who doesn't treat you very nicely, rarely gives you a day off if ever, and expects you to care for an area of 110000 ft² full of living plants (I'm a gardener, btw.) by yourself. Ok, an apprentice helped, but it's still a lot of responsibility and not to mention work.

So, my boss screamed at me for no reason once, twice, and after the third time, I went to the secretary's office and wrote my resignation. That was May 14th. And it felt good. Even without a perspective for my future, I was feeling very positive towards my decision and had an inner calm that gave me the feeling I did the right thing. In reality however, I was going to be unemployed. Which doesn't suck that much in Germany since you get 60% of your previous wage, and my swiss wage was... well, very good.

So far, I wrote two job applications. One is still unanswered. The other employer from Germany called me two days after I sent it. He invited me to an interview today. And gave me the contract afterwards.

So from the first of August onwards, I only have to go by train for about 25 minutes, and walk the rest of the way, which are another 5 minutes. Sure, I'll earn less money, but having more free-time is a lot more valuable to me than cash.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Sounds like a pretty great outcome. Also you're right, free time is important, very important.

craigieh28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By craigieh28

Good to hear! I recently handed in my resignation as a high school teacher - I also felt the calm and security that I was doing the right thing. I hope I land on my feet as quickly as you seem to have done. All the best in your new role...

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Morrow

@AlexW00d said:

Sounds like a pretty great outcome. Also you're right, free time is important, very important.

Yeah, especially if you have a backlog of games like I do :D

@craigieh28 said:

Good to hear! I recently handed in my resignation as a high school teacher - I also felt the calm and security that I was doing the right thing. I hope I land on my feet as quickly as you seem to have done. All the best in your new role...

Thank you! Sometimes just quitting something is the better choice. Keep thinking positive, usually people who are able to deliver a positive attitude are well liked by potential employers :)

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morrow

@Jaytow said:

I will do everything within my power to ensure you re fired from your new job.

lol!

Why would you do that? ._.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Jaytow said:

I will do everything within my power to ensure you re fired from your new job.

Presumably by getting her hired again?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morrow

@Jaytow said:

You know damned well why, I am your old boss and you did a poor job with my flowers.

But then why did you write me an A reference? ._.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By zyn

Awesome! More money + crap life vs. Less money + better life; I'll take the less money + better life.

EDIT: Sorry, don't know what I was typing.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jace

@Morrow: Good luck!

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Moreau_MD

Congratulations ! Commuting has to be the worst experience ever- especially when it's across two different countries. Are you still going to get to work with plants though?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@zyn said:

Awesome! Less money vs. better life; I'll take the better life.

Same here :)

@Jace said:

@Morrow: Good luck!

Thank you! ^^

@Jaytow said:

It's all part of my plan, build you up and then shatte your dreams.

Figures ._.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Morrow

@Moreau_MD said:

Congratulations ! Commuting has to be the worst experience ever- especially when it's across two different countries. Are you still going to get to work with plants though?

Thanks ^^

Yeah, sure. It's a garden center, so more work as a salesperson, but that's ok ^^ At least I won't strain my body as much anymore.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By 71Ranchero

Congrats on the new job. I had a 2 hour commute to work when I was younger and it was terrible. Cant even imagine what it would have been like if I had to take public transport.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Morrow

@Atramentous:

Yeah, it's pretty annoying over a longer period of time...

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By pyromagnestir

Congrats! Hope it works out! Personal happiness is a nice goal to strive for, in these matters.

Anything else I say would either be a dumb joke, or a dumb joke that's also a bit of a downer, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Morrow said:

So, my boss screamed at me for no reason once, twice, and after the third time, I went to the secretary's office and wrote my resignation. That was May 14th. And it felt good. Even without a perspective for my future, I was feeling very positive towards my decision and had an inner calm that gave me the feeling I did the right thing. In reality however, I was going to be unemployed. Which doesn't suck that much in Germany since you get 60% of your previous loan, and my swiss loan was... well, very good.

I have a friend who's in the exact situation. He's making a ton of money at his current job, but it's 6 days a week and takes 12 hours a day. He's trying to get out of it and get a lower paying job as well.  

Best of luck to you man!
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NegativeCero

Congrats. Hopefully your new boss will be less of a hardass. I don't understand how someone could ask you to do your best when they don't respect you enough to talk to you like an adult, instead going for the yelling approach.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Aetheldod

@Morrow: Good for you duder :D less commute is always better I say and wont you save a lot of money because you dont need to now?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Morrow

@Aetheldod said:

@Morrow: Good for you duder :D less commute is always better I say and wont you save a lot of money because you dont need to now?

Commuting isn't expensive for me. About 100 bucks for a monthly ticket. Dunno what the new ticket will cost exactly.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Scooper

That's a great outcome for you, man.

Got any room over there for a Brit? I'll get on the next plane over there.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By delta_ass

Hey congrats. Sounds like your life's sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Contrarian

Always remember the old philosophy:

There are very few people on their death bed stating they wish they had of spent more time at work!

You only need enough money to live a decent life, you work to live, not live to work, so I admire your decision. Good luck with it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

that sounds good to have your travel time lowered. traveling to places sometimes can be annoying.

when i was in college during the summer i had a job. it was 30 minute drive but sometimes if there was traffic it was horrible. people trying to get in one lane and no body is letting that person in.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By niamahai

Good luck duder.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mageman

Why don't you have a driver's licence ?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Change can be good, not in video games of course. Glad you feel good about leaving a job you hated duder. Best of luck finding a new one.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Change can be good, not in video games of course. Glad you feel good about leaving a job you hated duder. Best of luck finding a new one.

Thanks! Already got one :)

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By delta_ass
@Morrow said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This is what happens when you don't include a TL;DR.
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Delta_Ass said:

@Morrow said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

This is what happens when you don't include a TL;DR.

That's what happens when you what?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NegativeCero
@TheDudeOfGaming: Too long; didn't read. It's a thing on Reddit.
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@NegativeCero: I know, i was just trying to say that that sentence was too long for me to read.

shadowdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shadowdrone

Personal time is a pretty important thing, I'm glad there's people out there that are thinking about it more seriously. I hope you have good luck on your jounrey ahead! :D