Other Weird Food Opinions like Dan and Jeff?

• 107 results
Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I don't like sour cream or cream cheese. Pretty much all seafood...boiled greens, raw tomatoes or onions. The texture of strawberries and kiwis make it impossible for me to eat them without gagging.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I hate onions, but I love onion rings. It's weird, but the flavour onions give a dish just doesn't sit well with me. Just don't like onions.

I also hate the texture of wet food.

I know that sounds super fucking weird but bear with me; what I mean by that is the texture of things like tomato sauce (for spaghetti). It's chunky. It's gross. It feels wrong on my tongue. I just hate it. I also hate condiments and avoid them usually. Give me french fries with salt if you please. And on occasion, maybe a tiny dollop of mayo. Maybe.

Still, Dan is not the pickiest eater I've ever heard of. I've got a cousin who is way, way more picky than he is. He can't eat "real" meat because some asshole activist shoved slaughterhouse photos in his face when he was a wee lad. That means he can only handle heavily processed shit like chicken nuggets. Hamburgers too, but only the prepackaged kind. Anyone who has known the joy of a homemade hamburger probably knows what he's missing out on.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My preferred burger lacks onions and usually lacks tomatoes. I've decided I don't really like either.

Fuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy eating uncooked instant noodles.

I am not ashamed.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By JohnTunoku

I don't like steak or cookies. Steak is just too chewy to be enjoyable and I find the texture disgusting. Cookies and most baked goods hold little appeal to me next to fruity/sour sweets, most often all I can taste in such things is sugar if I can taste anything at all. I need my sweet things to be very distinct/sharply flavored and most often cookies just seem kind of blandly sweet to me.

As for weird things I enjoy, I'll sprinkle cayenee pepper on just about anything including fruit and vegetables. It makes even the most dull food fun to eat.

Talking about flavor is kind of hard.

Bleshoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ever tried dipping french fries into a Wendy's Frosty? Mmmmmm.

Avatar image for thespacemadness
TheSpaceMadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TheSpaceMadness

I'm probably the least-picky person I know when it comes to not eating specific foods. My biggest things were always tomato and celery, just raw tomato, cooked was always fine. I'm totally okay with tomato now and I'm working on celery. I just hate fat and gristle on meat, I always spend way too much time cutting that shit off, but the texture is so BAD that if I get a chunk of it it ruins the food completely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get called a picky eater all the time, but it's usually about: Garlic. The slightest smell of it makes me start retching and eventually vomit if I stay near the smell for more than a minute or two. I also hate Barbecue sauce. Just give me plain cooked/grilled meat and i'm good.

Astrolabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to be pretty open about trying new foods. Used to dislike mushrooms but have recently decided button mushrooms are jazz (shitake and others are still in a kind of case by case food status.) Much of my old dislike of vegetable (broccoli, Brussel sprouts, carrots, cabbage etc.) came from my mum preparing them according to the English tradition, which much like meat is to make DAMN sure its dead. These days I love vegetables more than meat, when you bite into a piece of carrot it's pretty unlikely you'll find a hidden particle of bone or cartilage. Meat and I have a picky relationship but as long as its good quality, prepared well I'll probably eat it.

Most seafood is regrettably still off my food list, I think it looks amazing, often smells great but the fundamental 'fish' taste paired with a chewy/mushy texture means it'll often trigger a pretty strong gag reflex. *sighs* One day little taste buds, one day.

Weird food habits?

I used to eat weetbix with margarine on them, I'd even slightly toast them a bit. I used to take some of those thinly sliced lunch meats, the ones where you can only speculate about which animals are in them, something like strassburg and I'd spread peanut butter on those and just eat them straight up. I also used to like snow pea sprouts with tomato sauce (ketchup for you guys?) I currently engage in the practice of taking really nice fresh bread rolls, buttering them and then adding a mixture of just tomato sauce and American Mustard, the most intensely delicious. :)

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#60 MattyFTM  Moderator

@mattyftm: I can make you a "buffalo wing" style brussel sprout that would make you love them! Dip them in blue cheese and you can't even tell they're not chicken.

LIES!!! It is impossible to make a sprout taste like chicken.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By CaLe

I don't like any seafood.

Steak is the worst kind of meat.

I'm not vegetarian but I can't eat food if it looks like something that used to be alive.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By RonGalaxy

I used to really hate any creamy food. Butter, cream cheese, sour cream, mashed potatoes, any kind of dip, mayo, salads that have mayo in them. Now I'm much more open to these foods, but Im still adverse to using a lot of it. When I see a person put half an inch of butter on a roll or half an inch of cream cheese on a bagel it makes me sick. I prefer cole slaw to have more vinegar than mayo (liquidy diner cole slaw is the best). I love mashed potatoes now, but I don't put butter or anything in it (besides whats already been mixed in). I still don't like mayo as a condiment. If I put butter on toast, pancakes, waffles, anything it has to be completely melted.

Also, whole milk is disgusting. Honestly, now I'm just really against milk. It's fucking gross.

Alsox2: In theory I love the taste of bananas, but the texture really kills it for me.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

People who are that picky scare me. Everyone has some stuff they don't like or don't want to try, but Dan is just ridiculous about it. The guy is barely living. Being so limited... I can never understand it.

Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bananas, cinnamon and mushrooms are all works of the devil and have no place in any sane person's diet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Some things people generally find weird:

• Avoid starters or desserts
  • No alcohol
  • Will eat cereal dry (i.e without milk) and toast plain (nothing on it just toasted bread)
  • Dislike eating out at restaurants
  • The foods I dislike

In terms of disliking foods:

• Coffee
  • Corn
  • Sweet and Sour's
  • Cream
  • Butter and Margarine
  • Coleslaw
  • Most desserts
  • Not a fan of pastry (I'll eat it but just find it to be tasteless)
stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm much more open-minded about trying stuff than I used to be, but still have bridges I've yet to cross food-wise. Don't like anything with a squishy texture - like bananas or tomatoes. Have never eaten a whole banana in life. Don't like plain mayonnaise either but if it's gussied up aioli style I'm golden.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink soda.

Like I've never had an entire can of Coke/Pepsi

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By Mezmero

I'm morally against eating mushrooms. I just think they're conceptually a very disgusting food for humans to eat. They're cultivated in the dankest darkest corners of the earth. They're from the same kingdom classification as mold. Who would want to stick that shit in their mouth willingly? Mind you I'm not above eating them if I have to. I won't pick them off of a salad or pizza like a child, I'll just eat em. I just try to avoid them if I can.

I hate cilantro on anything and find it overpowering any time it's introduced into my food. I don't like tomato slices in my sandwiches or burgers because I think it waters down the meat flavor. I'm mostly fine with pretty much all other fruits and veggies.

I don't like soup. I like to eat food, not drink it. Again I can drink soup and usually it's fine, but I'm a solid foods guy.

In the end it's like, whatever humans are at the top of the food chain right? I'll try anything once and I'm not nearly as picky as I use to be as a kid. There are children starving somewhere so I may as well stuff my face even if I end up with something I don't like. I'm of the mind set that food should not be worshiped nor given the pomp and circumstance that fancy pants restaurants give it at times.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I don't like gravy at all.

I've never had mayo, sour cream or coffee.

I've never had cheesecake and I have no desire to ever try it but I love cream cheese on bagels.

I don't like any soups or salads.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah I'm Chinese. I pretty much eat anything. Don't like raw onions and most offal except for liver, but if it's edible I'll try it at least once.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way, I have a broad pallet and I'm not afraid to try new things. There is nothing wrong with not liking certain foods, but I just don't understand people who are as picky as Dan claims to be. To each his own I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a15eaa84378
deactivated-62a15eaa84378

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Foods I dislike and the reason why:

Olives: They're just disgusting.

Sausages/Hotdogs: I don't know what's in them.

Peppers: Really dislike the texture and taste.

Prawns: I got severe food poisoning from them before, so they're just off the menu.

Blue cheese: Doesn't taste like food, more like something that you clean the toilet with.

Pineapple on Pizza: All kinds of wrong.

I used to hate onions too, mainly for the texture, but I can tolerate them and even like them a lot if cooked a certain way.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Efesell

Never really thought a lot of it before but I can't really think of anything that I have a genuine aversion to eating. If there is food about and I'm hungry I'm kinda just down with eating what's there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I don't like is food that's not prepared properly. There's no specific type of food, veggie, etc that I don't like. Excluding dangerous or bizarre body parts (i.e. brains, balls, etc).

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big time picky eater here, it's refreshing to hear folks like Jeff and Dan talk about it, I am usually embarrassed by it when eating out with others (from work, etc). Big downside is I have kids and am a single parent so I'm a horrible influence on them when it comes to food. I feel kinda bad about that. But they also won't touch things I have all the time, like pizza, and one won't eat stuff I assumed was universal, like ice cream, doughnuts, or any kind of cake (!). Oh well, I don't blame my parents for my eating habits, which have improved slightly. My biggest thing is I hate almost any kind of sauce, just like Dan. I like chicken and even a chicken breast but cover it in any runny sauce and bleh.. And unfortunately chicken is pretty flavorless when plain so I get why people sauce it up. Fried chicken, that's the only solution. :) Let's see, fruits/veggies almost a complete no-no, cheese is my main food group, no pizza more complex than pepperoni, no nuts ever, most complex thing I will cook is Mac & Cheese. Food I guess is more of a get-it-over-with so I can get back to what I really want to be doing type of thing for me. Don't need variety at all.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna copy and paste what I posted in the other thread before seeing this one.

I love beetroot when my mother makes it because she makes it into a curry. Living in Britain, people don't know how to prepare beetroot properly so no one likes it. I can't cook it myself but its what I ask for when I'm on break from university.

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MrJorOwe

I hate berries. All of them. Fuck every last berry.

Oddly enough I can still tolerate the juices and so on. Just not the raw, unhinged berrydom.

This. Plus these

@mezmero said:

I'm morally against eating mushrooms. I just think they're conceptually a very disgusting food for humans to eat.

I don't like tomato slices in my sandwiches or burgers because I think it waters down the meat flavor.

I don't like coffee but sometimes I'll drink coffee mixed with cola as an energy boost. I can drink up to 2 litres of milk a day. I strongly believe that pretty much every meal has too much carbs and not enough meat.

thdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only food thing, besides an utmost avoidance of mushrooms and avocado, is I really like salt and sweet things. Any cookie I bake has a fuckton of salt in it. I do the Kanji thing of putting salt on watermelon. Hell, you know how some pies come with a dusting of powdered sugar? I ask for salt. So everytime the guys get those candies with salt on them, I need to have them. Still haven't, but they sound like heaven.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Apples, I can't stand apples. The sight, smell, taste, texture, thought... can't stand em. It's so bad to the point that when I was a kid my mom would punish me by making me eat an apple. To extend this, I can't eat any fruits other than bananas.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I don't think I could live as Dan has lived. It is not that I could not live without ketchup, mayonnaise or mustard, or without every having tried a salad. Those are just the surface of their issues, but it implies a whole host of other thing he has not tried.

I could not have lived without is an adventuresome pallet. Seafood, wild meats, or extremely complex European, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Asian sauces, ingredients, and preparation. I could not have lived without odd cheeses, weird meats, or raw forms or food. I could not live with a mind that cannot parse the idea that mayo, aïoli, and remoulade are the same thing.

If I was 30 years old, and had not eaten 1/4 of what someone with an adventuresome palette had eaten I'd be fucking depressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with Jeff and Dan on the whole "Never put vegetables on a burger" thing. Why someone would do that is beyond me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By fattony12000

#food

You might say that I have a bit of a sweet tooth...

Nah, I'll eat anything if it's good. Although, I do prefer no shitty tomatoes in my shitty fast food burgers, mainly because their shitty tomatoes are always shitty.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: Is that a Brunch? Or some kind of new Brunch? It looks like a Brunch but it has dark chocolate under its shell or something.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm rather odd about tomatoes. I hate actual tomatoes and ketchup, but I'm all good with a tomato based cooking sauce you typically find in Italian cooking. I was told once by a professional that this might have something to do with my dumb dyslexic brain, but I wouldn't publish that as scientific fact.

Also, vinegar is just the worst and instantly ruins any food it touches.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By fattony12000

@jesus_phish said:

@fattony12000: Is that a Brunch? Or some kind of new Brunch? It looks like a Brunch but it has dark chocolate under its shell or something.

That is a Nobbly Bobbly, I have never seen a Brunch in England. I'm given to understand that they might be more of an Irish thing? It's definitely not dark chocolate, more of a thin milk chocolate coating over the innards which are a pink-coloured strawberry flavoured affair, there's a smaller core of chocolate in the very centre.

I believe the Nobbly Bobbly is akin to a modern version of something called a LOLLY GOBBLE CHOC BOMB, which sounds utterly devastating.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: A Brunch is an Irish thing alright. The two sound very similar except its vanilla ice cream around a pink-coloured strawberry flavoured core, covered in the same sugar balls.

I think I'll get one at lunch today.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never liked any hot drink, it's not just coffee. All different sorts of tea I really dislike and even hot chocolate I find gross. Probably is tied to the fact that I will drink ice water and slurpees in freezing weather.

When it comes to actual food I don't have that many specific things beside mainly white onion(red I can stand if used sparingly). I like it in dishes but just can't stand biting directly into a piece of it.

I also tend to go past what many consider to be a rare steak, I pretty much just quickly sear the outside and that's it. I even kind of like my burger's slightly less than well done but living in Canada I can only make them at home cause you have to fully cook burgers in restaurants(for good reason).

I am also one of those people who eat the skin of the kiwi, you fools don't know what you are missing! My mom also makes a crazy good Beet Cake, which no one ever believes is an actual thing.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By Seikenfreak

Yea my eating habits are similar to Dan's..

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

I don't like eating any animal that live under the water. Fish, crustacean, molluscs. Nope. All gross. I will eat them if I have to, but there's almost never any great joy in doing so. Really fresh sashimi and well seasoned seafood dishes I do occasionally enjoy, but most of the time I'd rather go for something else if there's a choice.

Underwater plants are a-okay. Seaweed is delicious. And fuck Brad's opinion on jellyfish. They're great. Soak them in a sauce made from vinegar (not that transparent white vinegar bullshit, real dark Chinese vinegar or bust) and sugar, leave them in the fridge for one night, then put a dash of sesame oil on and mix before eating. So good. It's all about picking good quality jellyfish. Fuck that up, the whole thing's garbage.

And I realize jellyfish are animals and not plants. That's how good they taste to me.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By gerrid

It makes me sad when I'm with people who have very very limited food likes, since I love food so much. The worst is when you go to a favourite joint, tell your friend about the amazing burger, the wings, the ribs or whatever - then they murder it with modifications and pickiness. Puts a downer on the whole thing.

There's definitely an element of shared enjoyment when it comes to food, I think. Like if you go to a great pizza place, and say 'hey the crust is amazing you gotta try this place', and then you see they leave all the crusts and when you ask, 'oh i hate pizza crust, disgusting'. Or they order the pizza without cheese then say they don't think it's any good. That kills me.

But always the worst is if you haven't chosen a place to eat, and someone is picky. And they look through every menu, "oh no there's nothing I like here", and it's the same at every place you go. "Oh I could have this lamb but I don't feel like lamb, let's try somewhere else". And you mope from one place to the next and finally they choose somewhere, and they order the linguine but say 'no garlic' or 'no mushrooms', and then it comes and it has pine nuts on it and they don't eat a bite of it because they don't like nuts. That's no way to live.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyuzen said:

As someone who can be picky, but not to the extent that Jeff or Dan is, I have faced my share of ridicule over my food choices. But Giantbomb seems like an accepting place for weird food likes and dislikes, so why not share some of them!

The one thing that always gets the weirdest reaction from people is the fact that I don't like cheese. I've never eaten a cheeseburger, because I cannot abide the idea of processed cheese sullying the delicious taste of a burger. This leads into the fact that I've never eaten a Big Mac from McDonalds. I basically don't mention that to anyone, I get some shocked looks, plus a couple people who have offered to buy me one. I could get it without cheese, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

Anyone else with strange likes and dislikes for food? Anyone else on my side of the anti-cheese?

I used to be the same as you. I'm slowly incorporating in cheese into my diet, some of it does in fact make the food better. I tried a Big Mac for the first time a few months ago after 25 years of not touching them, it wasn't that good. One of the main reasons I decided to start trying cheese in things was the weird looks and questions I'd get after saying I didn't want cheese. Saying I was lactose intolerant didn't work because someone would eventually see me drinking milk or eating ice cream.

I still can't stand any type of stinky cheese or feta though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will straight up eat a block of cheese. I'm not proud of it and I'll usually feel like shit afterwards but when I see a block of cheese I just...get crazy or something.

That sounds like a horrible addiction...especially if you find yourself in a grocery. 0_o

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I dont' like eggplant, that's apparently pretty weird.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I am all the way team boneless. Nothing off the bone, ever. I don't care for onions or asparagus and like most of my greens raw. That's about it.

djn3811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#95  Edited By djn3811

I am a very very picky eater. I don't eat many vegetables. Apparently when I was little I would eat pretty much everything, but I guess as I got into elementary/middle school things changed. I have gotten a little bit better about things in the past few years, I'll now eat lettuce and corn. Never had mayo. Don't know how things have gone this long like this.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By doomocrat

I don't like mayo but I don't mind it if I have access to hot sauce. Undercover Brother was a very formative movie for me.

Oh and also fuck eggplant. Slimy nasty stuff.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who claim to just "not like onions" are a bunch of liars, because there is no way someone could not at least like caramelized onions. In general I think people who have long, long lists of foods that they dislike simply ate some garbage rendition of a food and then never gave it another shot.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berniesbc said:

People who claim to just "not like onions" are a bunch of liars, because there is no way someone could not at least like caramelized onions. In general I think people who have long, long lists of foods that they dislike simply ate some garbage rendition of a food and then never gave it another shot.

Onions and cilantro taste like soap to me. Grilled, raw, boiled, fried, however. Fuck onions, and that's the truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Mayo and ranch dressing are disgusting. Mayo looks like congealed grease and makes me gag for some reason plus it doesn't add anything to a sandwich or hamburger like good ol' mustard. I just can't stand the taste or smell of Ranch dressing. It sickens me when people dunk non veggie stuff like pizza, french fries, and chicken wings in that shit.

Onions though I love the fuck out of onions. I rarely cook anything that doesn't have a bit of onions in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm the least picky eater that I know. There's only a few things I've ever tried that I didn't like, one is Balut which most people think is disgusting anyways. The second thing I can't stand is coconut shavings, specifically the shavings. Coconut milk isn't my favorite thing but it's drinkable. I can also eat young coconut and coconut based soups and stuff and that's fine. I also love peanuts, almonds, etc. but I hate when people put nuts on a dessert item. Every once in awhile I'll find something that actually tastes better with nuts but in general, it's terrible, especially chocolate cake and brownies.