Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Vao

Why do some people love games? 
Why do some people pay hundreds to upgrade their computers to extreme specs? 
Why do some people play sports?  
Why do some people love cars? 

It's just a hobby that people get into,  racing games hit a sweet spot with people because not everyone has the ability to drive cars that range from $500,000 to over a million.  If your really curious go watch some of the episodes of Top Gear (the British version) they might give you more insight on this. 

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By oatz

While I guess it's partially just a manly thing that every man needs to do, cars are something I've liked since my early childhood. I had so many toy cars, man...  

I love cars.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil: I hate to tell you this, but the word "geek" isn't interchangeable with "hobbyist" or "enthusiast". Geeks are...well, geeks. And it's not a nice term.

If someone called me a car geek, or a video game geek, or a comic geek, I'd punch them in the face.

On-topic, though: cars are fun. Obviously the OP doesn't have his license, so he doesn't know shit. I don't know too much beyond general things about HPs, cylinders, and engine size. But I'll tell you this: don't try beating a guy to the end of an exit ramp in a Nissan Rogue. Those things were not made for speed. My slightly peculiar mom told be to beat this guy coming off the ramp, because for some irrational reason she didn't want him to end up passing us. Well, I laid into the gas, and got jack shit. A Sentra engine just can't pull the weight of a small SUV that fast (it's only got 170 horses, and a Rogue weighs quite a bit more than a Sentra).

Driving fast can be kind of fun. I know I've gotten the itch to just gas it on straightaways before.

Also, having a fast car isn't just about top speed. Here in the U.S., many drivers get their fix by racing at stoplights. So whoever has a faster acceleration wins, usually something like 0-60. They're not going that 150 mph the car can reach, but they're still getting some fun and zip out of their vehicles. People around here also race around sharp curves. Living in CT, which is all hills and such, the curves are fast enough that even a high-end vehicle wouldn't be able to take them too far above the speed limit. Also, people go 80 in 30s, 100 on the highway, etc. etc. Plus, there are racetracks around.

And yeah, get your driver's license right away. I still don't have mine, so I have no picture ID, which can be a real hassle in some spots. The airport, most notably. And of course, I got my cardboard Learner's Permit like a month before they switched to the plastic Permits with pictures on them.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ape_dosmil
@example1013 said:
" @ape_dosmil: I hate to tell you this, but the word "geek" isn't interchangeable with "hobbyist" or "enthusiast". Geeks are...well, geeks. And it's not a nice term.

If someone called me a car geek, or a video game geek, or a comic geek, I'd punch them in the face."
Well you've maybe got some anger management issues then. For me the terms are fairly interchangeable.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil said:
" @example1013 said:
" @ape_dosmil: I hate to tell you this, but the word "geek" isn't interchangeable with "hobbyist" or "enthusiast". Geeks are...well, geeks. And it's not a nice term.

If someone called me a car geek, or a video game geek, or a comic geek, I'd punch them in the face."
Well you've maybe got some anger management issues then. For me the terms are fairly interchangeable. "
Well, I doubt I'd actually punch someone in the face. But geek is an old term that's held the same meaning for decades, and I'm not going to let a bunch of people redefine it just so they can feel better about calling themselves that. Geeks very specifically have a lot to do with computers and/or math, and very little to do with girls. They're marked by their lack of style, lack of social skills, and lack of athleticism. They're related to nerds, and those terms can be used interchangeably, but geek doesn't automatically become a universally applicable term just because it has to do with passion.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ape_dosmil
@example1013: Merriam Webster dictionary definition: 
1a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
2a person often of an intellectual bent who is disliked
3an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity

That third definition is pretty much exactly how I used it and doesn't have negative connotations.
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Jambones

I love the mechanical aspect. Cars are bloody clever machines.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Noodles

Drifting is one of the greatest feelings in the world, video games don't even come close to the adrenaline rush.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil: Not really. Technological field or activity meaning (basically) computers. It's got a negative connotation because of the lack of social skills/girlfriend implied with the use of the word, historically.

The word faggot means a bundle of sticks. Do you go around using that all the time?
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ape_dosmil
@example1013: "an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity"
You missed the word "especially". Meaning it is particularly applicable in technological fields but it can apply to an enthusiast or expert in other fields or activities also. Furthermore technology includes cars, engines etc.

You have a fundamental lack of understanding of how language works. Language, in particular English, evolves. It is not static. That is how the term "geek" went from meaning a circus freak, to what you claim to be it's definitive meaning. That is also how it has come to be used by many today, non-pejoratively to describe an enthusiast or hobbyist.
xXRAWxHEATxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By xXRAWxHEATxX

I love cars because I see them as a work of art. I love driving them. I think they're beautiful machines. It's true that many guys only buy nice cars to get chicks, but car enthusiasts like me are not like that. I own a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII and I think it's one of the ugliest performance cars ever made, but I love the car because it's fast, it handles well, and I love working on it. The looks of a car mean nothing to me; it's what's under the hood that counts. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil said:
" @example1013: "an enthusiast or expert especially in a technological field or activity"You missed the word "especially". Meaning it is particularly applicable in technological fields but it can apply to an enthusiast or expert in other fields or activities also. Furthermore technology includes cars, engines etc.  You have a fundamental lack of understanding of how language works. Language, in particular English, evolves. It is not static. That is how the term "geek" went from meaning a circus freak, to what you claim to be it's definitive meaning. That is also how it has come to be used by many today, non-pejoratively to describe an enthusiast or hobbyist. "
You illustrated my point nicely. Many today use it nonperjoratively. I learned that it was a perjorative. I'm not about to stop using it as a perjorative just because society says it's no longer one. I'm not disputing the fact that most people don't use it in the exact same way you do. I'm saying i don't.

And yes, I missed the word especially. I don't read every word in every sentence all the time. Good call.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#63  Edited By gla55jAw
@wubb said:
" @gla55jAw said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
" @wubb said:
"Guys like cars because many chicks are into sporty looking cars.   Your car is one area where you can spend a bunch of money and be sure everyone will see your status symbol.   Not saying that is why everyone who buys an expensive car does it, but it's certainly a reason for some. Anyway, I've always had cheaper cars, but have driven a nice car a few times and it is a lot of fun to notice people turning their head to check it out or even flag you down to talk about the car. "
thanks, i'm glad someone else agrees with that point. "
Or maybe guys just like cars because they think they look cool, or it's their hobby, or because they like fixing things. Do you seriously think guys think "Oh man when I get this I'm finally going to get chicks!" It sounds like a cheesy 80's teen movie. "
Perhaps I was too vague, but that would be one motivation for getting a pricey car, certainly not the only motivation. "
I'm sure everyone has a reason, but that would have to be in the minority reason for people wanting a nice car. Hitman makes it seem like that's why a lot of people want them.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ape_dosmil
@example1013: I'm not asking you to stop using the word the way you have always used it. I'm asking you to not call me out in future when I use a word in a generally accepted way. You suggested that the way I used the word "geek" was wrong. That it could only be pejorative. I was merely trying to explain to you why that isn't so. At the risk of sounding like a child, you started it.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#65  Edited By gla55jAw
@ape_dosmil said:
" @example1013: I'm not asking you to stop using the word the way you have always used it. I'm asking you to not call me out in future when I use a word in a generally accepted way. You suggested that the way I used the word "geek" was wrong. That it could only be pejorative. I was merely trying to explain to you why that isn't so. At the risk of sounding like a child, you started it. "
Yeah, example1013 you're overreacting about this one. I've heard and used "geek" in the same way ape_dosmil said. Look at The Walking Dead, they call the zombies "geeks". Words are interchangeable.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil: No, you're quite right, I did start it. I just figured if I kept arguing you'd eventually forget about that. It sometimes works, and then I don't have to admit I'm wrong.
ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ape_dosmil
@example1013: Alright, internet argument resolved. Awesome. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Example1013
@ape_dosmil: Ok, back to cars!

I've never gotten to drive a really fast car, but my dad's tiny versa has some halfway decent acceleration in it. Sometimes I'd end up going faster than I thought I was, because it was so fun!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Example1013

And by fun, I mean mildly enjoyable. Because, to be honest, I don't really like driving. It's more a tedium to me than an enjoyment.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#70  Edited By AhmadMetallic

you're FOURTEEN, you have no say in this yet ! 

when you turn 20 and have been driving for a couple of years, you'll change your mind

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Example1013
@Ahmad_Metallic: Don't try to trick him. Driving's boring as hell. And you have to actually pay attention to what you're doing.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@example1013 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic: Don't try to trick him. Driving's boring as hell. And you have to actually pay attention to what you're doing. "
it is for boring law-abiding chumps like you and me, but many young men out there pimp their rides and actually go wild on and off road 

and even us careful drivers have fun! if it's boring or tedious for you, thats you. i LOVE doing 150 on a highway or just driving around town.. its one of my favorite things to do (i dont do it too often though, like them losers driving around all day) 

Plus this guy isnt only talking about loving to drive, but loving the cars and taking care of them, their performance and looks
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Example1013
@Ahmad_Metallic: Yeah, there's a lot to love about cars. I'd probably enjoy driving too, if I had a driveable car. As I said before, I mainly have driven a Rogue, which is probably one of the least fun to drive cars around. 170 horses and Nissan's 25QR (sentra) engine pulling around 3500 lbs means you get absolutely no VROOM at all. To be honest, a Prius would probably be more exciting. Plus, I drive automatic, so there's no fun in shifting, either.

Taking care of cars can be exciting, though. If my mom weren't too scared to touch anything, she could actually show me some stuff about the engine, and how to do some basic maintenance. Unfortunately, because engines look so different from when she learned about them, she doesn't recognzie the parts, and doesn't want to put in the effort to learn.

My dad's really hopeless with cars. His excuse for revving the engine while sitting in the driveway was to clean out the carburetor. Apparently he missed the fact that all new cars for like the past 20 years have been made with direct injection engines, which I found hilarious when I learned of it.

But for people who know what they're doing, tuning parts, cleaning out everything, changing and fixing things, washing it...all these go into the culture of cars. I'm just not involved in it, and I'm probably too lazy to get involved.

Although I am going to someday buy my uncle's '72 corvette. Oh my GOD is that car gorgeous! It's all original parts, as well, other than the tires. And he's even talked about getting original-mold tires, since some company actually has the casts and can make them. He said in about 20 years it'll be worth $72,000. I think I'll start an IRA for it soon.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By iam3green

it's because of the speed that people can do in them. there is just something about taking the engine up in the 7RPM and hearing the engine. i have pretty much stock car scion tc, just exhaust but still nice.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Because they're nerds.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GreggD
@example1013 said:
" @ape_dosmil: Not really. Technological field or activity meaning (basically) computers. "
Technology is anything pertaining to advancement. Did you know that cars are a form of technology? What about houses? Modern currency, even. Get your shit straight, dude. And stop being so damned paranoid.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Example1013
@GreggD said:

" @example1013 said:

" @ape_dosmil: Not really. Technological field or activity meaning (basically) computers. "

Technology is anything pertaining to advancement. Did you know that cars are a form of technology? What about houses? Modern currency, even. Get your shit straight, dude. And stop being so damned paranoid. "
Get your shit straight, dude. First of all, the argument was already over. I admitted that ape_dosmil was right. Second of all, even buckets are a form of technology. But I think we both know that the definition isn't referencing buckets. Or modern currency, houses, cars, or even stone clubs. That part of the definition is referencing computers. Just look at this short Oxford Dictionary blurb on the word:

Word trends

Is being a geek something to be proud of? A few decades ago, the answer would almost certainly have been no : the word was a cruel and critical label attached to clever, but socially awkward, people: Trekkies, computer geeks, and unpopular college students. Then in the 1990s , everything changed. The computer industry helped many geeks to achieve great success, and the wider perception of geeks began to shift. Being a geek was suddenly a positive thing , suggesting an admirable level of knowledge, expertise, and passion: geeks could do ‘cool stuff,’ and they could fix your computer...!

And there you have it, geek defined in relation to computers. Thanks for playing, come again.
ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#78  Edited By ethan_raiden

Cars are a means of escape primarily for me. I saved as much money as I could to get the car that I wanted (r33 skyline) It’s not about getting back and fourth from work, or taking your friends somewhere, that’s just commuting, and you can get the same experience on a plane, boat or bus. My car is used for times when it’s 3am, when I leave the house, and drive, not to get anywhere, but just to drive, to feel the engine, and to experience the ride that I’m going on, not focusing on where I end up in the end. It’s an extremely soulful and personal feeling that most car lovers would agree with me on. You can keep your ford focus for your commuting, but my car is for driving. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I'm sure going fast is great, but where can you do it safely with only a small chance on injury?

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80  Edited By rjaylee
@NekuSakuraba: If you like Tokyo Drift you don't actually like cars. You like really stupid ricers (or chavs, depending on your country) and drifting.

I have nothing against drifting, but I have beef with idiots lowering their Neons and putting rear spoilers on their Civics thinking it does something positive to the performance of their car, all alongside a really awful and distastefully tacky mismatched PVC bodykit with a mismatched paint job.

Also, carbon fiber doesn't make you or your car cool. Neither does having rims that cost the equivalent or more than the value of your automobile.
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cars are cool, but when people start discussing new models (blabla something something ZRX15G89 deluxe) and their specs I completely lose interest. I don't get people who look at pictures of cars and start to drool. Owning a nice car is one thing, but staring at magazines and watching shows about cars is another. 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By Rockdalf

Don`t buy into the hype about you`ll understand once you`ve started driving.  I`ve been driving over five years and it`s okay.  Truth is, people who like cars, usually like them well before they can drive.  It`s a tool I use to get me to place to place, nothing more.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By EuanDewar

...Knight Rider.
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By spudtastic

I used to like cars , before I started paying ALL of the bills adults assume.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By iKANNIBAL

I only like sport and muscle cars for looks, as for driving? All trucks brah, i only drive trucks and will always only drive trucks, i love the room, and the manliness of a truck. I love to travel, and i love being outdoors and being into various activities, trucks are a necessity for me cars interfere with my lifestyle.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By Tireyo

I don't know what's the big deal about cars either. I always get the same explanation, and it just never appeals or interests me. 

The worst explanation I ever got as to why people like cars is comparison. Why comparison you ask? Because someone told me that cars are like penises, they come in different sizes, colors and designs. Girls want to be able to drive and ride that "stick shift". Girls are attracted to men who have big vehicles and what they have in their trunk. Cars are meant to be rode hard and put off wet. - It just disgusts me that girls like and even marry men because of what car they drive. I feel sorry for those people that are like that truthfully.

So, don't ever tell me that you like a car because you can compare it, because I'm going to think of this every time. I literally want to punch that idiot acquaintance who told me that, because NOW I'M NEVER GOING TO LOOK AT CARS THE SAME WAY EVER AGAIN!!