• 97 results
#1 Edited by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

A lot of reports going out that Hoffman was found dead at his flat... Jeez, that really fucking sucks, and he was only 46. Can't say I followed him around via interviews and stuff, but the guy was a great actor and starred in a lot of brilliant films, some of which could arguably be listed as all-time greats. Been a while since I've seen Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, this might make for a good enough reason to give it another watch...

R.I.P.

#2 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

I saw James Robinson (of Comic Vine fame) post about hearing about "Hoffman" and how much of a shock it was, I assumed he was talking about Dustin Hoffman.

Sad news, thought he was a great actor, RIP.

#3 Posted by SgtSphynx (1389 posts) -

Yeah, supposedly found in his bathroom with a needle in his arm. Sucks that he died, he was a great actor.

#4 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (277 posts) -

This can not be happening. He is one of my favorite actors.

#5 Edited by Aegon (5638 posts) -

What is with the entertainment business and drugs?

#6 Edited by AMyggen (3051 posts) -

One of the best actors of his generation, and one of my favourite actors. Such a fucking shame.

Fuck drugs, man. RIP.

#7 Posted by Doskias (307 posts) -

Man I know this is selfish of me but it would be really rad if the humans I enjoy would stop dying all the time.

#8 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

That sucks. 46 is way too young. RIP :(

#9 Posted by BisonHero (6526 posts) -

That is a tragedy. He was a phenomenal actor, even in smaller supporting roles (Almost Famous, for example). I also really recommend Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, to anyone who hasn't seen it.

#10 Edited by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

I always figured that guy was a junkie, but goddamn, he was a fantastic actor! Sad to hear that he couldn't overcome his demons.

#11 Edited by Pocky4Th3Win (136 posts) -

Sucks, He was a great actor...

Hope it's not true.

#12 Posted by xyzygy (9992 posts) -

Man that really sucks.

#13 Posted by AMyggen (3051 posts) -

@pocky4th3win: Nah, it's real, NY Times, WSJ etc. are all reporting it now.

#14 Edited by Snail (8606 posts) -

He was an amazing actor. His acting really made a lot of the movies I love. He had so much to give the world. What a tragic loss. May he live on as a legend.

:(

#15 Posted by Spoonman671 (4637 posts) -

Don't do drugs, kids.

#16 Posted by MB (12409 posts) -

Sad but not exactly surprising, he had been fighting heroin addiction for years.

#17 Edited by Kaiserreich (699 posts) -

Just terrible. Amazing actor.

#18 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

Man......seriously....fuck this....

RIP

#19 Edited by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

That is a tragedy. He was a phenomenal actor, even in smaller supporting roles (Almost Famous, for example). I also really recommend Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Even in movies like The Big Lebowski, that is swarming with weird and memorable characters, he managed to stand out and even made for one of the funniest at that imo.

#20 Posted by Levius (1134 posts) -

Fuck man, Mary and Max is of the few films to bring me to tears. RIP.

#21 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3835 posts) -

One of the absolute best in my mind.

As great as they are, a lot of our best actors are more or less themselves in everything. Hoffman was so diverse... and excellent in everything he did. It is rather unbelievable, to think back on.

To me certainly one of the greatest actors of all time.

"Mr. Lebowski is in seclusion in the West Wing"

#22 Edited by HatKing (5950 posts) -

Bummer, man. Really loved his work with PTA. Might be a good excuse to watch Magnolia. Or Boogie Nights. Or Punch Drunk Love. Or The Master. RIP.

#23 Edited by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

@mb How come the video I posted was removed? It's just a funny compilation of all the seedy and creepy characters he tends to play, and the guy who uploaded it even states that he's his favourite actor.

#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I always figured that guy was a junkie, but goddamn, he was a fantastic actor! Sad to hear that he couldn't overcome his demons.

Yeah it sucks man. Once you're a addict you're an addict for life. Shit like this is why I stay away from drugs an alcohol. I never want the remote possibility of getting addicted to a substance like that.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Wow, I was just watching Boogie Nights like two days ago.

Such a great actor. RIP

#26 Posted by Hunter5024 (5684 posts) -

Well he had a super impressive life. Many addicts don't leave behind so many people to grieve for them. I enjoyed him in every movie I've seen him in, so this is sad news.

#27 Edited by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

Dude was one of my favorite actors. I can't think of a role that he was mediocre in. Every role he had was great, from The Master to Along Came Polly. You couldn't put the guy in a something he couldn't pull off.

#28 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

That fucking sucks. Every time I saw him in a movie I knew it was going to be good. It's been a shitty few years for talented people dying off.

#29 Posted by EuanDewar (4925 posts) -

Super duper sad about this. Absolutely love Hoffman. Synecdoche, New York hit me real hard in particular. RIP dude

#30 Posted by crithon (3244 posts) -

well .... this is a bit of an odd way to wake up. Since last night, I was drunk at a bar and I wonder if I look like that video...... well, time to sober up and thank god I'm okay.

#31 Posted by sub_o (899 posts) -

God damn, I really like Hoffman's acting, he's a very versatile actor. Sad to hear that he's gone.

#32 Posted by Christoffer (1823 posts) -

Damnit, one of the best actors of today. Seemed to be a guy who lived his life to the fullest, for some reason. I really hope that was true.

A great loss indeed

#33 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1587 posts) -

That really sucks. I'll be watching Doubt tonight.

#34 Posted by Flacracker (1675 posts) -

That is what happens when you shoot up.

#35 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

It's just been the worst as of late. 46 is a really young age to die. Sucks that it had to be from substance abuse.

Such a great actor. He'll be missed.

#36 Posted by jsnyder82 (734 posts) -

He was good in literally everything he was in.

He made The Master watchable.

#37 Edited by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

The real tragedy is that you have 3 young children who are now fatherless because he decided to start using again.

#38 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5511 posts) -

That's way too young to go. RIP :(

#39 Edited by AMyggen (3051 posts) -

@agnosticjesus: Not to get into an argument here, but it's a bit too easy to say that he "decided" to start using again after years and years of heroin addiction.

#40 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1075 posts) -

I'm glad so many people are using a talented man's untimely death as an opportunity to to express their anti-drug sanctimony on the internet.

A little more sympathy for someone who clearly had a terrible substance abuse problem, a little less "this is what happens, what'd you expect" judgmental horseshit, por favor.

#41 Posted by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

Oh my god, no fucking way. Damn, rest in peace.

#42 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

So sad to hear this, and he was so young too.

#43 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

It fucking sucks.

#44 Edited by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

@amyggen: He relapsed in 2012 so yeah, he decided to start using again after being clean for a decent period of time. Does everyone here expressing sadness and condolences do the same every time they read about an OD in the paper? Or is it just that he was a celebrity and non famous people that abuse are simply junkie garbage? I've witnessed first hand the destruction caused by heroin addiction. It's absolutely devastating for the users loved ones, especially when said user doesn't have the strength to get clean and meets an untimely end.

#45 Posted by benpicko (2008 posts) -

fuck

#46 Edited by AMyggen (3051 posts) -

@agnosticjesus: I think you're putting words in other people's mouth when talking about people here writing off non-famous people who OD as "junkie garbage". I've been near enough of this shit to know better, and I also refrain from saying that anyone "choose" to go back to it.

But this is neither the time nor the place for this discussion, so this is all I'll say about it. RIP.

#47 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1701 posts) -

@mb said:

Sad but not exactly surprising, he had been fighting heroin addiction for years.

#48 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (584 posts) -

@agnosticjesus said:

Does everyone here expressing sadness and condolences do the same every time they read about an OD in the paper? Or is it just that he was a celebrity and non famous people that abuse are simply junkie garbage?

There's always THAT guy when people talk about celebrities dying. No, I don't express sadness when a random person that I've never seen before dies. Nobody's saying that a celebrity death is more important than anyone else. But as people that appreciated his art, I'm sorry we're unhappy to see him pass away? What are you getting at, exactly? Death sucks for everyone that knows the deceased personally, or was touched by their work.

Stop being so unreasonable. The only option is to be upset or call someone a junkie? That's what you're saying. Do YOU think people with addictions are garbage? Or are you the one crying for all 150,000 people that die everyday? Or are you just kinda being a dick because internet?

#49 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

There is a reason why illegal drugs are illegal. Don't think you magically know better or you end up like this.

It's unfortunate he made the decision he did, but now he is dealing with the permanent consequence.

#50 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1075 posts) -
@amyggen said:

@agnosticjesus: I think you're putting words in other people's mouth when talking about people here writing off non-famous people who OD as "junkie garbage". I've been near enough of this shit to know better, and I also refrain from saying that anyone "choose" to go back to it.

But this is neither the time nor the place for this discussion, so this is all I'll say about it. RIP.

This is absolutely the place for this discussion. Anyone heartless enough to simply dismiss people with addiction problems as hopeless junkies beyond saving, that's someone who is part of the problem.