Pizza as a Vegetable?

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xdaknightx69

so i was on FB and zach braff shared this on his page , it seems really dumb to me, what do u think ?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/17/pizza-as-vegetable-congress-proposes-new-school-lunch-bill/

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

Food corporations have deep pockets and politicians are easily influenced. No surprises here. Now we need Hershey and Nestle could get their act together and make chocolate a vegetable. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some pizza growing in my garden that needs harvesting.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I approve of this congress.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arker101

America, Fuck Yeah.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By time allen

it's to do with the tomato paste used on school lunch pizzas, not labelling pizzas as vegetables.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

@Toms115 said:

it's to do with the tomato paste used on school lunch pizzas, not labelling pizzas as vegetables.

By counting that little bit of tomato paste as a vegetable, they can serve pizza instead of a real vegetable and still meet the "nutrition" requirements they're supposed to be serving. I totally understand why parents would be upset when they ask "What vegetable are they serving my kids for school lunch today?" and the answer they get is "Pizza".

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By amir90

@Arker101 said:

America, Fuck Yeah.

I approve this message.

First this, and now the piracy law, fuck yeah America!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I hate that everyone is saying that they're calling pizza a vegetable. They're not, they're merely claiming it contains 1/2 a cup of vegetables. Which, is itself a somewhat dubious claim, but it's not the same as claiming pizza is a vegetable.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My middle school stopped serving Dominos pizza every Monday the year I started going there, it was pretty upsetting.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

@MattyFTM: It really is the same when they're serving pizza as a replacement for a vegetable. They may not outright be 'calling it a vegetable', but the end result is exactly the same as if they were.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

I think this just surfaces a bigger problem which is the requirement that everything needs some form of vegetable in it. Why? Shouldn't have to eat veg with every meal. Sauces and whatnot aside.

Can't take pizza out of the lunch lines, kids would riot. That shit is a life-long staple.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I have a Pizza garden in my back yard, I don't see anything wrong with this claim.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

@PeasantAbuse said:

My middle school stopped serving Dominos pizza every Monday the year I started going there, it was pretty upsetting.

My middle school stopped letting us play hockey the year I started due to new regulations about equipment. Then they got the money for the equipment the year after we left. It was pretty upsetting.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

pretty good sounding. the pizza that i had for school was frozen food. pretty much every thing was frozen. sometimes i'll buy the frozen pizza and nostalgia from it being from school.

in high school i didn't eat school lunches. they had this stupid code thing, you had to input your code, your file would come up. it just took too long to get your food. there were major problems with the computer also.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By NickLott

@MattyFTM: Sodium rich, heavily processed paste should never be considered a vegetable under any circumstance. Not even close.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jking47
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Andorski

Wow... do people not understand the basic concepts of nutrition?

Now that the tomato sauce in pizza is deemed legally to be a vegetable serving, the school lunch programs in the United States is much healthier. This was really smart of Congress too, as the average body weight of kids in the United States is very slightly over the norm compared the other industrialized countries. This is probably due to all the freedoms we Americans have; we're not forced to eat what the government tells us to eat like communistic Europe.

So an all-around good job by America. God bless this country and all the successes we have earned.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By devilzrule27

@TooWalrus said:

@Toms115 said:

By counting that little bit of tomato paste as a vegetable, they can serve pizza instead of a real vegetable and still meet the "nutrition" requirements they're supposed to be serving. I totally understand why parents would be upset when they ask "What vegetable are they serving my kids for school lunch today?" and the answer they get is "Pizza".

Then tell those silly parents to actually make their kids lunches. Don't let the government do everything for you and then turn around and get upset when they do something like this.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By UltorOscariot

Gotta love a country that calls pizza a vegetable because of tomato paste, despite tomatoes being technically a fruit. God Bless America

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Jams

never ate a single school lunch in highschool. They looked god awful and the cafeteria would be packed to the brim. The only ones that did eat in there were the kids with parents on welfare that got free lunches anyways. It's kinda sad, because that was the only way a lot of them would eat breakfast and lunch.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By pyromagnestir

Now if only Congress would vote that all the sex those kids are having counts toward their daily quota of exercise and all the drugs they use counts towards... I don't know, their education? (This message brought to you by someone who has no issues with sex, drugs, or especially pizza when used in moderation. Or in the case of sex and pizza, whenever you can get it.)

Ok for serious. I have no problems with kids having pizza for lunch at school, but any sane minded individual knows it's not a vegetable. Nor should the tiny amount of heavily salted "tomato" sauce count towards as a serving of vegetables. Parents don't have time to make their kids lunch anymore, or don't want their kid to stick out for bringing something homemade and good and eating it around a bunch of dick kids who see something like that as a sign to be bullied, I get that. So I have no problem with having healthier options for school lunches. But people who make french fries and pizza aren't going to give up all that school lunch money so easy so... Fuck this world sucks. Commence depression. Where are my sweatpants? Video games, please take me away to a world where things make some sort of sense.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

Usually the united states makes me facepalm but I think this is the smartest thing they have ever done. God bless pizza.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By theguy

What happened to tomatoes being fruits?

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By louiedog

@devilzrule27 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Toms115 said:

Then tell those silly parents to actually make their kids lunches. Don't let the government do everything for you and then turn around and get upset when they do something like this.

Unfortunately a lot of parents don't care. Poor families are on meal assist programs that pay for the kids school lunches. Now, it would be great if parents gave a damn, were well educated, had good jobs, were involved, etc. but the reality is that not all of them are. When a kid eats junk at home and school until they're old enough to understand nutrition and do something about it for themselves it can be extremely difficult to reverse it. Your body gets used to something and changing that isn't easy. It doesn't matter how motivated or smart you are at that point because there are physical obstacles in your way.

By making it easier to serve kids junk food and remain within nutrition guidelines these problems only get worse. These kids are going to grow up without much of a chance and continue the cycle with their kids. My mom has been teaching elementary school in a poor, rural school district for 30 years. I used to work at a clinic for people with weight and eating disorders so I've heard a ton of stories, read through hundreds of transcripts, and seen quite a bit related to this with my own eyes.

I understand that there are arguments to be had about what services should be provided to poor people, children, etc. but I can't see any argument where it's okay to make changes that works against the best nutritional interests of kids in these programs.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bybeach

@NickLott said:

@MattyFTM: Sodium rich, heavily processed paste should never be considered a vegetable under any circumstance. Not even close.

I have to go with this. It's close actually, but been perverted, and I bet pretty limited on what a good mix of real vegetables should do for you. If what I am reading is true, that by a continuation pizza is sold in school lunches as a component supplying vegetable matter,..that's a continued perversion of what is really intended.

I love pizza myself, not going to lie. But if I am paying for school lunches for my kid(s), they can if nothing better, have that pizza with a salad or vegetable mix also on the plate. (makes me think back to our favorite in high school, the meatball on roll sandwiches!)

To me even more dangerous, high fructose soda instead of milk, orange juice or even just plain water.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

You'd be surprised how powerful the meat and dairy lobbies are.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rudyftw

Pizza:

Tomato sauce (Vegetables)

Vegetable toppings (Vegetables)

Cheese (Comes from the cow who eats grass... grass=vegetables? Sure, why not)

dough (flower and water)

Pepperoni (dead animals who eat more grass)

WE HAVE OURSELVES A VEGETABLE PIZZA!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Dalai

So does this mean chicken wings can be considered a vegetable because the sauce contains peppers?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While there are vegetables on pizzas, they also have a (high) amount of salt and fat which aren't that healthy, you could make a pizza that would be healthy but it wouldn't really be what most people eat when they have pizza...

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NickLott

@bybeach said:

@NickLott said:

I have to go with this. It's close actually, but been perverted, and I bet pretty limited on what a good mix of real vegetables should do for you. If what I am reading is true, that by a continuation pizza is sold in school lunches as a component supplying vegetable matter,..that's a continued perversion of what is really intended.

I love pizza myself, not going to lie. But if I am paying for school lunches for my kid(s), they can if nothing better, have that pizza with a salad or vegetable mix also on the plate. (makes me think back to our favorite in high school, the meatball on roll sandwiches!)

To me even more dangerous, high fructose soda instead of milk, orange juice or even just plain water.

I'm with you, I love pizza and I even made some last night. The sauce was a can of diced tomatoes mashed and stewed with a fresh basil, oregano and garlic. If the pizza they're serving kids was made from something like that, it'd be a start but I still wouldn't consider that alone a proper serving of vegetables.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jimi

@Andorski: Communistic Europe made me laugh, the freedoms bit was good too. Not sure if trolling or dumb.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlinkyTM

That's dumb.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By toowalrus

@devilzrule27 said:

@TooWalrus said:

@Toms115 said:

...are you telling ME to tell those silly parents to make those kids lunch, or are you telling ME not to let the government do everything for me? No shit pizza's fucking bad for you, and if I had kids I would absolutely make their lunch for them- don't make me out to be the ignorant one.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Not even close.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By John1912

* edit
@UltorOscariot
said:

Gotta love a country that calls pizza a vegetable because of tomato paste, despite tomatoes being technically a fruit. God Bless America

Fruit!? I think not! V8 wouldnt lie! Totmatos growing out of the ground, and on a vine be damned! Its a vegetable! A VEGETABLE!

Pizza sauce alone doesnt really count, but a veggie pizza prob has a serving of vegetables. Not ideal but Id count it.