Rally To Restore Sanity - Did It Work? Also Remember To Vote!!!

• 77 results
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Bitches (and Whores), 

So, it's been 48 hours since Colbert went on stage to talk about keeping fear alive, and that idiot John Stewart had to get sanity up in the capital.  The jokes weren't all the greatest, as Colbert wasn't given the full time to talk about real issues (bears, liberals, gays, arabs, mexicans, and robots).    

Regardless, Stewart did make a point that we as a nation are kinda stupid at times.  We got stations like MSNBC and CNN that run on fear and the 24 hour news cycle that isn't healthy for our nation, or any nation as a whole.   

Most importantly, that dude told us to vote today.  Which I shall, but not in the name of Stewart, but for the sake of keeping bears, liberals, gays, arabs, mexicans, and robots away from the constitution.  I already got my idiots lined up for office and hey, I'm up for another two years of fear.  At the end, this rally might have done nothing, or if we were lucky, it might have inspired a handful to care about this country and to show other countries that we aren't that fucked up. 

This is all thanks to Stephen Colbert. 

What say you lot?   

Also, remember to vote you idiots.  If you're under 18, ignore it and go back to playing Halo in your parent's home while eating Cheetos and smoking pot.  Leave the politics alone until you're obligated to. 

About you Californian idiots, you cannot legalize weed.  The feds will be on your State's ass so you're going to lose regardless.  Get over it.  

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

God, here in Washington, almost all the ad space on tv has been bought by various political committees. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I voted two weeks ago! Leave me alone already!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KaosAngel
@PrivateIronTFU: My phone has been ringing non-fucking stop since the weekend.  It's been driving me insane.  I feel your pain.  -_-
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aronman789

I would, but I'm not a full US citizen (green card, bitches), don't really give a shit about politics, and happen to be under 18, so I couldn't if I wanted to.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
@KaosAngel: And to top it all off, out of ALL the people running for various positions, only ONE of them has not run a single ad attacking the opposition. Which makes me sad. Needless to say, I voted for him. 
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ch13696

I refuse to vote because the 2 people running for Governor in California (Meg Whitman [CEO of eBay] and Jerry Brown [Attorney General, former Governor]) are both idiots. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
@ch13696: ...what about the weed thing?
dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By dantheman1515
@ch13696: Meg Whitman is the devil. She makes Jerry Brown look like JFK.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I liked it, but I imagine that the news networks are gonna say that it sucks. And since they're calling a lot of the shots...

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@ch13696 said:
" I refuse to vote because the 2 people running for Governor in California (Meg Whitman [CEO of eBay] and Jerry Brown [Attorney General, former Governor]) are both idiots.  "
So vote for a third party. There are still other ballot measures to consider as well.

As for the rally, I always feel bad for Jon Stewart because he's not a Democratic supporter and yet MSNBC and the left-leaning outlets always portray anything he does as super left wing, and  Fox News listens to them and decides that they should hate him for it.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By falconer

Does the new 360 dashboard update let me vote? No? Kay, gonna go back to not caring. Ignorant of me? Sure, but as a math/science sort of dude (engineer major), I could really care less about politics.

darkstorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By darkstorn

As a political science major, I actually love seeing all the advertisements and candidates saturate the airwaves. I have already voted as well, but the thrill's in the chase, right?

Looks like the Republicans will take the House, but here in California, Boxer will hold on to her Senate seat and Brown will be elected governor (thank god). Prop 19 was leading by double digits a couple weeks ago but is trailing by 7 points in the latest poll. Our state's marijuana legalization movement all depends on whether or not liberals sit out this election.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Afroman269

Shame that there aren't any great candidates to bother voting for. Fuck the democrats and republicans.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By zor

Already voted, and so should all of you (if you are over 18 and are legally able to), even if 'there isn't anyone you want to vote for' since there are always issues being voted on (taxes, and new laws).  With that being said, i can get off this soap box. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Afroman269 said:
" Shame that there aren't any great candidates to bother voting for. Fuck the democrats and republicans. "
That is my general opinion at the moment.
FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FourWude

DON'T VOTE OR DON'T COMPLAIN. 

I swear if I see some shitty thread in 2 weeks time telling me that some politician they voted for has broken x promises I'm gonna bite their ass in their own thread.

The system is BROKE folks. You can never win a game where the dice and rules are loaded against you. Some of you have realised this, for some of you it will take another 4-5 years, but you'll see soon enough.

Voting is NOT your patriotic duty, and voting for the lesser of two evils is still putting a bastard in office.

Excuse me for being so grumpy, it's that time of the year again.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I can't vote :(

I'd like to though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

candidates don't matter.  All of that noise is created by advertising companies.   Candidates more or less go with the party 99% of the time.  Vote party line. 

Fix the system between elections.  Most representatives represent about 712,000 people.  You would be surprised how few call or write letters.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By YoThatLimp

Was here, I thought it was pretty awesome.   
I know about ~200,000 people would also agree with me. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch13696
@dantheman1515 said:
" @ch13696: Meg Whitman is the devil. She makes Jerry Brown look like JFK. "
I know. Especially since she's CEO of a company that likes to rip people off.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By masternater27
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" Shame that there aren't any great candidates to bother voting for. Fuck the democrats and republicans. "
That is my general opinion at the moment. "
It's at least worth voting for propositions and that sort of thing where we actually have an effect.  Hopefully we can get the government out of the liquor business here in Washington State.  I look forward to being able to go to a grocery store whenever I please to buy liquor, not between 10 and 5 on weekdays in one of 3 inconvenient locations around the city.  And voting for judges, 'cause they are the last line of defense for idiots like Yeeland Lee trying to pass unconstitutional laws.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ch13696
@President_Barackbar said:
" @ch13696 said:
" I refuse to vote because the 2 people running for Governor in California (Meg Whitman [CEO of eBay] and Jerry Brown [Attorney General, former Governor]) are both idiots.  "
So vote for a third party. There are still other ballot measures to consider as well. "
Still no. That's a 100% chance that the third party won't win. So what's the point?
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269
@masternater27: Don't have any interesting props worth voting in my state. Only ones I would want to is prop 19 in Cali and another prop in Washington which establishes an income tax for the rich.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch13696
@KaosAngel: If I did vote, then it would be against it. It already smells like weed on my block every weekend. Add in the fact that they can legally smoke it and it will smell like weed constantly. The stuff stinks dude.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel
@ch13696 said:
" @President_Barackbar said:
" @ch13696 said:
So vote for a third party. There are still other ballot measures to consider as well. "
Still no. That's a 100% chance that the third party won't win. So what's the point? "
It's better to vote for who you think is the best candidate than not vote at all, even if that candidate doesn't have a chance in hell at winning.  When Bush ran for reelection against Kerry, I ended up voting for a fictional write-in candidate because Bush was terrible, Kerry was bland milquetoast, and I didn't know or care enough about the other candidates to bother giving my vote to any of them.
joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I fckin hate pot-heads or friends who only political comment is: "Legalize it!!!"......
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By masternater27
@Afroman269: I don't mind saying, I voted yes for the income tax one :)
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Afroman269
@masternater27 Good man.

@JoeRiccadonna There are good legitimate reasons to support legalization but I agree that some potheads are annoying about that shit. They could care less about anything as long as they have a joint in their mouth and only become interested in politics when they hear the word marijuana.
Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Phog_of_War

Win or lose, Prop 19 in California at least brings up a legitimate argument for public discourse.  Its a stepping stone.  Yes on Prop 19 supporters say it will bring in something on the order of 2 Billion dollars in taxes to the state coffers.  Marijuana is already the largest cash crop in California, somewhere in the range of 14 Billion a year, which at this point, the goverment realizes $0 from this resource.  

We (USA)  have the worlds largest prison population.  Because of this violent criminals are often released early, something like 15 to 20% or more, of them will re-offend and wind up back in the prison system.  Legalization would free up jail cells and real, hardcore, convicts can stay in there instead of one of the 750,000 people who were arrested in the US last year for pot posession.   Not to mention how much cash and time would be saved by local police forces if they didnt have to worry about Eddie the Stoner in appartment 4D. 

In the end the question is twofold : 1)  With California Medical Marijuana law enacted 14 years ago now, 46% of all Americans (the highest # of all time) telling a Gallup Poll that Marijuana should be legal and taxed, The War on Drugs failing to make even a slight dent in Marijuana use, in fact, its easier for kids to get Marijuana than it is to get booze or smokes, and the simple fact that Marijuana, weather smoked, vaporized, or eaten is nowhere near as harmful to a person, or society in general than ciggerets and alcohol.  Wouldnt it make sense to end a prohibition  that has been an EXPENSIVE, COMPLETE AND ABJECT FALIURE?  

And 2)   According to the 10th Amendment the States are free to goveren themselves.  Weather it be changing or modifying laws, taxes, and other "housekeeping" issues, if you will.  It is the States job to police their cities.  California has taken a very hands off approach to Marijuana.  The police dont really want to take the time to worry about a little pot smoking when there are real crimes going on in their towns.  The Federal Goverment says they will "crackdown" on Marijuana if Prop 19 passes, to that I say, "So what?"  The simple fact is that the Fed can say whatever it wants, it is overstretched already.  The DEA cant be everywhere at once, and the local police forces have to abide by State law.  So if Prop 19 is the law of the land the local authorities cant do shit to you if you are smoking it in your house.  Wave to the officer as you smoke your joint and tend to your 5 sq. ft. personal Marijuana garden as he's going to arrest some dude that drank a whole bottle of Jack Daniels and beat the crap out of his girlfriend.

I will end this with a statement and question from the NORML website: 

Finally, it goes without saying that the federal justice department — verbal bluster aside — lacks both the resources and the political will to take on the role of targeting and prosecuting the estimated 3.3 million Californians who are presently consuming cannabis for non-medical purposes. These duties are relegated to state, not federal, law enforcement officials. Just as medical marijuana has existed as a legal market in California, in obvious violation of federal Controlled Substances Act, Prop. 19 will too remain the law of the land post-November 2.  Which ultimately begs the question, “If a government’s legitimate use of state power is based on the consent of the governed, then at what point does marijuana prohibition — in particular the federal enforcement of prohibition — become illegitimate public policy?” Perhaps it is time to ask President Obama and United States Attorney General Eric Holder?    

*Sidenote*  I am not a California resident, however I am an activist and just see the common sense in ending the War on Pot.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowshi

Okay, first thing.  I hate that people are asking "did the rally work?!?"  It was a comedic rally.  It was entertainment.  It was music and dick jokes.  Anyone suggesting that it was a legitimate and serious attempt at "activating the youth" or seriously changing the political climate, is an idiot. 

I'd like to formally introduce myself.  I am Puffy McPotterson, AKA "LegalizeDaKush".  For the life of me I can't figure out why this wonderful drug is still illegal.  The drug war is basically a huge amount of money that can be used for much better things, and actively creates a culture of violence within the drug community.  Do you know what would happen if we legalized marijuana within the next month?  First, there would be a significant drop in the violence on the Mexican border.  Similar to how the violent crimes and influence perpetuated by the Mafia dropped after Prohibition was thwarted, eliminating marijuana from the illegal drug trade would just bring us closer to stopping the power and influence Cartels and other dealers.  Also, commercialized marijuana means that there would be regulation, not you buying God knows what off of some dumb street kid who probably laced your joint with PCP or something.  Also consider the fact that we won't be throwing people in jail for absolutely no fucking reason just so cops can keep their quotas up and pretend like their cleaning the streets of dangerous "stoners".  I personally say fuck anyone who complains about people who use marijuana and talk about it constantly.  I find them much less offensive than drunk idiots, and if you pulled your head out of your ass you'd realize that you'd agree.  Marijuana as a whole is less dangerous than cigarettes and alcohol, and the money we spent on enforcing its users is astronomical.  leaseThink about all the money that goes into arresting people with small jointsSecond thing, if you looked at all the money commercialized marijuana would both save and make for this country, it's absolutely ridiculous that it isn't legal.  

Thirdly, I'd just like to address that guy who claimed that he wasn't interested in politics as he is more of a math/science guy.  You're an idiot.  Being interested in math and science doesn't in any way suggest that you should be a typical apathetic do-nothing.  In my opinion, it means the exact opposite.  We need more people of reason and intelligence to involve themselves in the world around them.  You're path of scholarly education doesn't determine whether you should be interested in politics!  It doesn't matter if you're earning an engineering degree, or a certificate to teach P.E.  You're crazy if you don't think politics affects math, science, education, and engineering jobs.  Politics affects EVERYTHING.  Bah! 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm far too disenfranchised to vote this year. I mean, what good is it going to do? The democrats didn't do anything great the last couple of years, and the republicans certainly aren't going to do anything. Either way, we're screwed.  

Maybe in a couple years I'll vote again. You know, for president, because there's nothing going on in my state (wait, isn't there a gubernatorial election this year in MA?). Oh well. Deval Patrick will do fine without my vote. (Probably). 

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BunkerBuster

I plan to write my name down on all the candidates and vote no on all the propositions. All I care about is that sticker and receipt so I can be an hour late to work. Hopefully, if everything works out California will still burn to the ground.

Phog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Phog_of_War
@BunkerBuster: 
 Don't worry.  Eventually California will be a nice sized island and Arizona will have some kick ass beachfront property. 

@MooseyMcMan:

MA has a Medical Marijuana vote on the ballot.  At least go and "stick it to the Man"  :-D

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@Phog_of_War: God dammit! I voted to NOT de-criminalize it a couple years ago, and then that bit of stupidity passed! Argh. There are plenty of other painkillers out there, why do people need marijuana? Isn't morphine good enough?  

I suppose this is what I get for not paying attention. It's too late at this point too, because I don't really have any clue if I'm still registered to vote or not, and even if I am, I'm at college right now, a good 40 minutes away from home, and I don't think my one vote would be worth the 80 minutes of transit time (probably more, because traffic is worse during the week).  

EDIT: God, in my state of not thinking clearly, I wrote de-legalize instead of de-criminalize. Shit. Well, I've edited the text to rectify that mistake. I suppose this is why I shouldn't post on GiantBomb before eating breakfast (which I have now done). 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@KaosAngel said:
"Most importantly, that dude told us to vote today.  Which I shall, but not in the name of Stewart, but for the sake of keeping bears, liberals, gays, arabs, mexicans, and robots away from the constitution."
I don't know how serious you are, but it's not the liberals that want to tamper with the constitution. The Tea party wants to make it so Senators don't need to be elected, and they don't believe in separation of church and state. There are several other things they want to remove from the constitution.

If you vote republican you are either rich (in the top 2% that owns most of the money in the US) or you are insane. A lot of the republican party is bought and everything they do is to please the companies that are giving them money. They talk about tax cuts for the rich all of the time. (There are good Republicans, but there are a lot of bought politicians in their party.)

If you are against gay marriage I have absolutely no time for you and I won't ever pay attention you you again. There are no good arguments against gay marriage. It's all about religion, which is bullshit. Seriously, if your religion is thrown into doubt because two people that love each other are allowed equal rights as you and your partner, you obviously have little faith, are sexually insecure and if you don't believe that your fellow man deserves the same rights as you, then you can go die in a fire.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@zudthespud: ...I'm gonna take a stab and say you aren't familiar with Stephen Colbert.  Bears and robots are clearly more damaging to the constitution, and gays have their agendas to turn me gay (trust me I would have gay sex in a heart beat but I'm not gay, and yes I find some gay men highly attractive).  Arabs, well...let's just say 9/11.  Do you remember that?  Millions of Americans died that day and the constitution almost died that day.  Again, 9/11. 

As for Mexicans, they want us all to turn Mexican and use their Mexican Agenda to destroy the constitution. 

Back to bears and robots.  Robots are evil and want to take over the world, remember the Terminator and R2D2.  Fuckers want us all dead. 

Bears, bears, bears...oh what can I say.  The Bear agenda is the worst of all agendas.  They are godless killing machines. 

Keep Fear Alive, Nation. 
Keep Fear Alive, Nation. 
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Fallen189

I think your OP sums up everything I need to know about America.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@KaosAngel: I really enjoyed Stephen Colbert when he was on in the UK but they stopped showing it a while ago :(  

Like I said, I wasn't sure how serious you were because you listed bears and robots alongside gays and liberals, it's been a while since I watched Colbert so I'm unfamiliar with his stuff. 

@KaosAngel
said:
"Arabs, well...let's just say 9/11.  Do you remember that?  Millions of Americans died that day and the constitution almost died that day.  Again, 9/11. "
Am I along the right lines in sharing this? 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#39  Edited By Vinchenzo

I don't vote. Also, get your dick out of Colbert's ass.

GUTBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GUTBOMB

Colbert, what a douchebag
It is true, Liberalism is a mental illness. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JJWeatherman

Bitches (and Whores),     

I'm offended.
smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By smcn
@FourWude said:
" Voting is NOT your patriotic duty, and voting for the lesser of two evils is still putting a bastard in office."
Who says you have to vote for the lesser of two evils? After researching every candidate on my ballot (including third-party/unaffiliated candidates) I've decided to write in my own name for every office, since it's apparent I'm the only person who would represent my best interests.
Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ignor

Ain't it meant to be satirical?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Meowshi:  

Okay, first thing.  I hate that people are asking "did the rally work?!?"  It was a comedic rally.  It was entertainment.  It was music and dick jokes.  Anyone suggesting that it was a legitimate and serious attempt at "activating the youth" or seriously changing the political climate, is an idiot. 

Comedy was just the vessel used to deliver the message, brah. I'm not saying it was the most serious rally in the world, but it was clearly more than just music and dick jokes. (I don't even remember any dick jokes)
Sanity_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sanity_Crash
@Vinchenzo said:
"I don't vote. Also, get your dick out of Colbert's ass. "

you know.. it's probably the other way around.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@Afroman269 said:
@JoeRiccadonna There are good legitimate reasons to support legalization but I agree that some potheads are annoying about that shit. They could care less about anything as long as they have a joint in their mouth and only become interested in politics when they hear the word marijuana. "
This and this a billion times over. Pot heads get on my fucking nerves. Unless they actually have something intelligent to say then I beg of them to please shut the fuck up.

With that said, do I think the rally worked? No. Most of the people who went and/or were genuinely interested are already sane. It's the other 99% of America that worries me. A lot of that, I can safely say, is made up of sane people, but the majority of them are bat shit crazy. It's sad to say, but America has and probably always will continue the proud tradition of going against it's own best interests.
monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By monkey523
@KaosAngel said:
"Most importantly, that dude told us to vote today."
If by "told us to vote" you mean he basically said "ohheyguysdon'tforgettovote" right as the band started playing the closing song.  It just seemed like an after-thought.

Also, how can you say that its ALL thanks to Colbert?  Stewart had just as much to to with the event as Colbert.
vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By vaiz

Bitch must be trawlin.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By mzuckerm
@President_Barackbar: Why would anyone think of Stewart as a Democrat?  Because he voted for John Kerry?  (I'm sure he voted for Obama too, although I don't have a cite for that.)  Because he gave easy interviews to Democratic politicians whenever they appeared on his show, and tough interviews to Republicans?  How would anyone think Jon Stewart is anything OTHER THAN a Democrat?  I'm not passing judgment on his political views (not now, at least), but he wears them on his sleeve and they're pretty damned obvious.  Look at the invective he hurls towards Fox News, whereas he largely ignores MSNBC (although admittedly he's gotten more shots in on the left lately, but that's to be expected given Democratic control of Congress and the Presidency).  This isn't to say that he doesn't have disagreements with the Democrats, but they're often disagreements from the left (for instance, repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell; also, inclusion of the public option in the health care bill).  Again, this isn't to criticize him for these views, but I'm having trouble finding an issue where he doesn't fit pretty firmly into the Democratic Party.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
@mzuckerm: What about Colbert?   

On the one hand you had President Bush invite him to his dinner, and then you had Fox News bring him onto their shows.  Sometimes I wonder if conservatives caught on yet, then I remember it's only been five years since Colbert started this and realized it would take at least four more years for people to realize what he really means. 

Seriously, you have people who honestly believe Colbert is a true ultra right wing speaker.  :|