Scared Shitless

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By AthleticShark

Ok, things now a days (games and movies) really are not that scary. No i am not trying to be macho and say I don't get scared, but let me put it this way. My dog at night creeping up on me scares me more then any video games or movie designed to scare you. The only horror movie that still scares me in some way is Nightmare on Elm Street. It isn't so much to movie, but more of the idea you having your dreams invaded and dieing that way. So when was the last time I was really scared? Probably when Freddy vs. Jason came out and I was pretty young and I pretty much cried in the first 10 minutes of the movie from being scared. However, I have watched it many times over and it really is a good movie, but not scary.

So what is the point of this blog? Well today I went to my local Half-Price book store, not for books, but for movies, Cd's and if they had any games. So I got some stuff (which in a later update I will show or whatever) and I got a pc game for 5 bucks. What Game? Penumbra:Black Plague. Let me tell you. I have never been so scared in

No Caption Provided
my fucking life. I am screaming out loud, I am sweating, I am scared shitless. Even with the light on and my friend next to me, we are both scared. The game is insanely fun and I will talk more details lately. I just wanted to make a short blog here to say, I am a fucking scaredy cat. I mean wow, who knew a pretty unknown game for 5 bucks could be one of the best adventure/FPS/Horror games I have ever played, and one of my favorite games, all because it scares the living hell out of me and because the puzzles are so fucking clever and so real.

A video is soon to come. You will soon be able to laugh at my retardedness.
AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AthleticShark

Ok, things now a days (games and movies) really are not that scary. No i am not trying to be macho and say I don't get scared, but let me put it this way. My dog at night creeping up on me scares me more then any video games or movie designed to scare you. The only horror movie that still scares me in some way is Nightmare on Elm Street. It isn't so much to movie, but more of the idea you having your dreams invaded and dieing that way. So when was the last time I was really scared? Probably when Freddy vs. Jason came out and I was pretty young and I pretty much cried in the first 10 minutes of the movie from being scared. However, I have watched it many times over and it really is a good movie, but not scary.

So what is the point of this blog? Well today I went to my local Half-Price book store, not for books, but for movies, Cd's and if they had any games. So I got some stuff (which in a later update I will show or whatever) and I got a pc game for 5 bucks. What Game? Penumbra:Black Plague. Let me tell you. I have never been so scared in

No Caption Provided
my fucking life. I am screaming out loud, I am sweating, I am scared shitless. Even with the light on and my friend next to me, we are both scared. The game is insanely fun and I will talk more details lately. I just wanted to make a short blog here to say, I am a fucking scaredy cat. I mean wow, who knew a pretty unknown game for 5 bucks could be one of the best adventure/FPS/Horror games I have ever played, and one of my favorite games, all because it scares the living hell out of me and because the puzzles are so fucking clever and so real.

A video is soon to come. You will soon be able to laugh at my retardedness.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

Ah Penumbra, great game. Really, but I've only played a small portion of it. As for the rest, I watched a Let's Play of it, and I did crap my pants even without the personal experience of having a demon dog sneaking up on you killing you.

Damn those demon dogs.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Black_Raven

I love the Penumbra games, I remember the first time I played Penumbra: Overture alone in the middle of the night and it was fucking scary.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Snipzor
Black_Raven said:
"I love the Penumbra games, I remember the first time I played Penumbra: Overture alone in the middle of the night and it was fucking scary."
You don't play it in the middle of the night, the pages/diaries regarding consumption of a certain insect is enough to send chills down your spine.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

And being so scared while playing a game is something I will never understand. Though I realize everyone's tastes are different, just not something I would ever consider "fun."

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By eric_buck

Cool. I was scared by friggin Condemned and Dead Space so remind me not to get this game lol.;.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Penumbra games are awesome. I love being scared.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By End_Boss

I probably lack the intestinal fortitude to play such a game, as simply playing Bioshock for the first time yesterday made me audibly gasp in fear more than once.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CL60
End_Boss said:
"I probably lack the intestinal fortitude to play such a game, as simply playing Bioshock for the first time yesterday made me audibly gasp in fear more than once."
if Bioshock makes you scared Penumbra isn't for you :P
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Snipzor
End_Boss said:
"I probably lack the intestinal fortitude to play such a game, as simply playing Bioshock for the first time yesterday made me audibly gasp in fear more than once."
It definitely isn't for you.

I think ranking is appropriate for this, from scary to atmospheric.
Penumbra Series>Call of Cthulhu>Eternal Darkness (At first play)>System Shock 2>Other

I can't actually think of any other scared shitless games actually, well there's also Alien vs Predator but the fear comes from technical limitations and face huggers. Did I mention I hate face huggers?
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

5 bucks you say? Any convenient place I can get this such as Steam? I remember seeing videos of this before it came out but never went out and got it.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By teh_destroyer

Ever play Fatal Frame 2? Its one of those games that actually almost make me shit my pants,its really hard to find and I finally found a copy of it in my area for a spankin $40.

The cover suggests some good creeps,and it does.
The cover suggests some good creeps,and it does.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By Artie

I've heard a lot about Penumbra, I'll be sure to check it out. Despite being a wussy, I feel like I should try out scary things.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By get2sammyb

I think the Siren game on PSN is pretty scary actually. Certainly the scariest game on PS3; but then that's not saying much.

Ashuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ashuku

You know whats REALLY scary? The fact that you think Freddy vs Jason is a "good movie." 

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

Penumbra is not a series I am familiar with. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were my favorite. And I have only played that series off and on since then.

Snipzor suggests Call of Cathulu > Eternal Darkness. In scary stakes probably, over all game? I'd argue otherwise.

Siren Blood Curse is the next "scary" game I am going to tackle, picked up the hard copy for a couple of bucks the other day.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I am completely late to the party on this, but I bought this and the first one on Steam today for 5 bucks and...

HOLY SHIT.

This game is ridiculous/frightening/awesome. I love horror games, and that's a bad genre to be a fan of with recent gaming trends.
Avatar image for earthwormjohnuk
EarthwormJohnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EarthwormJohnUK
@End_Boss said:

I'm with you on Bioshock, it took me months to muster the courage to complete that game, I originally hated how panicky the game made me feel but about halfway through something clicked, the andrenaline kicked in and I became obsessed with everything about it.

I have yet to return to Dead Space for similar reasons, although I plan to get back into it soon.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
@Maxszy said:
" And being so scared while playing a game is something I will never understand. Though I realize everyone's tastes are different, just not something I would ever consider "fun." "
The thing has to do with adrenaline... It's a rush.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ahriman22

The Japanese have a great grasp on Psychological horror, I love Japanses horror games. Penumbra was awesome, although I'm quite resistant to horror, this game was fun anyways.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NintenDood
@c1337us said:
"Siren Blood Curse is the next "scary" game I am going to tackle, picked up the hard copy for a couple of bucks the other day. "
Could you please link me to where you bought it? :)
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The penumbra games are awesome, while I didn't go apeshit from being scared It really freaked me out.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maxszy
@Jeust said:
"
@Maxszy said:
" And being so scared while playing a game is something I will never understand. Though I realize everyone's tastes are different, just not something I would ever consider "fun." "

"
Not all of it. I don't mind adrenaline, intense situations in games and so forth... just not those types.
AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AthleticShark
@Maxszy: Well its just scary because you can't do anything to defend yourself. The enemies just come out of no where and like he said, your filled with adrenaline because YOU CANT DO ANYTHING. It puts you in a real situation in a sense. You have no guns or ammo or anything. You have to survive. Its crazy.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Jeust
@Maxszy said:
"
@Jeust said:
"
@Maxszy said:

"
Not all of it. I don't mind adrenaline, intense situations in games and so forth... just not those types. "
But many wouldn't... that's what i like about horror games.

It makes completely forget for a little while your life, and just run for your life lol
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By babblinmule

I might actually have to try this series out. Here I am, a man who's admittedly still afraid of the dark and ghosts, and yet i can roll through all major silent hill games and system shock series without even batting an eye. So, basically, I'm just messed up.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By jakob187

Can't say I've played any of the Penumbra games, but it's pretty tough to "scare" me.  Make me jump?  Yeah, not always too hard, mainly because it's common human instinct to jump at certain things, such as a sudden shock.  However, SCARY is a different thing.

Nitemare1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nitemare1

There's a Mac version.  And a demo. Now thats scary! Will try.

Edit:
Never mind. the whole thing with both games and the expansion is still on steam for $5. Sold!