• 64 results
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By raviolisumo

So the World Cup is coming up this year, does anyone on the boards watch? I tried watching it in 06, but just couldn't get into it. Nothing ever happened. At least with baseball there's a chance of scoring fairly regularly. With soccer, it just seems like 85 minutes of  midfield possession switching with 5 minutes of anything entertaining that I could just catch on a highlight reel. Someone sell this to me. I'd really like to get into it for some reason.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By raviolisumo

So the World Cup is coming up this year, does anyone on the boards watch? I tried watching it in 06, but just couldn't get into it. Nothing ever happened. At least with baseball there's a chance of scoring fairly regularly. With soccer, it just seems like 85 minutes of  midfield possession switching with 5 minutes of anything entertaining that I could just catch on a highlight reel. Someone sell this to me. I'd really like to get into it for some reason.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Baillie

Liar, the last world cup was 4 years ago!

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By raviolisumo
@Baillie: Was that not 06?
IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By IcySandman

I think the best thing is to get with people that already watch it, see what they look for, and just get with friends that like watching it.  Playing soccer helps too...for me at least, get's you in the groove, how it feels to be on the field.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By raviolisumo
@IcySandman: I played soccer a lot as a kid but I just fell out of it because I moved so much.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Romination
@Wes899: i played soccer for years, too, and the undying fandom doesn't make much sense to me either.

Of course, neither do any sports...
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raviolisumo
@Romination: I get basketball and hockey and I never even played those ever. I'll ask my soccer friends when they get home from college.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

First problem right there. You're calling it soccer when it's called Football.

Second problem. You're expecting it to be like another sport, it's not Baseball and nothing like it. So don't expect it to be.

Third problem. It's fucking boring watching sports on TV no matter what sport it is. Period.

Seriously though, you're either into it or not. My suggestion would be to maybe place a bet on a team and make sure you watch every match they play. This will hopefully cause you to feel some passion as money is at stake on whether they win or lose.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Grillbar

i played football oh sorry i mean scoccer for over 5 years and loved it but watching it never really interested me mutch.
so cant really sell it unless you do this get together with a few friends who enjoy it and drink heavy alchohol makes everything better.

the off-site rule is for pussy's

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Scooper

It's shit, don't watch it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

SOCCER!  SOCCER!  GETCHUR SOCCER RIGHT HERE!  $5.00!!!  BUY 2, GET THE 3RD HALF OFF!!! 

Am I doing it right?
FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FalconCritical

I dunno, its hard to sell any 'sport' to a skeptic really.  Down here in NZ its all football (soccer) vs rugby. Rugby fans go on about how football is always so low scoring and that there's nothing more boring that watching 90 minutes and seeing no goals.  My counter to that is that rugby has gotten so safety concious in recent years that the 80 minutes of their games, about 20 minutes of that is down time where there's not actually any rugby being played.  Sure people score more often, but it gets to the point where tries are just expected rather than celebrated so much.

The thing that really gets me in football is the passion and the emotion of it.  Goals are massive, each one scored is something special and each one conceded is heart-wrenching.  Beyond that even though the game may not have high scores, it is very free flowing. There's rarely ever any down-time in a match, and when there is it's normally just fetch the ball and get back into it.  The biggest sell I can really throw out there is the atmosphere of attending a football match, you're not likely to get that so much watching the World Cup on TV - but when you are in a stadium that's full to capacity, and the whole pitch are singing and chanting in unison, its magical... I mean my sister has no interest in football itself but she went t o a match here in Wellington and was blown away by the atmosphere and the infectious enthusiasm that comes from so many people united in emotion.

So um yeah. You say you played soccer so you know the game - the draw of watching the world cup is that you're seeing the very best footballers in the world and marveling at their awesomeness.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Ineedaname

It depends on a game, sometimes you just have to chance it.
When big teams clash there's a high chance they'll just have a boring game because both are scared of losing.
And if you want to make it more interesting the fail safe way is to throw a pound on a team before a game, then hope for the win because you'll make money from it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Watching soccer's only really fun if you've played it, and know the ins and outs. Scoring isn't 100% of the fun of watching a game, really as well. Seeing a great goalie block a tricky shot's as much fun as seeing a great shot go in.  

It's very popular because of the simplicity of the rules, and how cheap it is to play, that's why almost every country has a soccer team, and it's about national pride more than anything. Tis why the world cup's more popular than the olympics. More accessible to play = more people caring about it, and will cheer their nation on. 

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clinkz

You have simply awakened my friend. Soccer is a game only Europeans and South Americans enjoy. In my eyes, its the shittiest sport. EVEN worse than hockey.

EDIT: It's called soccer people. Football is reserved for a real man's sport.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raviolisumo
@Hamz said:
" First problem right there. You're calling it soccer when it's called Football.  Second problem. You're expecting it to be like another sport, it's not Baseball and nothing like it. So don't expect it to be.  Third problem. It's fucking boring watching sports on TV no matter what sport it is. Period. Seriously though, you're either into it or not. My suggestion would be to maybe place a bet on a team and make sure you watch every match they play. This will hopefully cause you to feel some passion as money is at stake on whether they win or lose. "
All valid points(Except it's called Soccer), going to see a hockey game with front row seats is nothing like watching on TV. Sadly, I'm not a betting man so I guess I'll just try to watch in a big group and see if their enthusiasm rubs off.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By bacongames

I frankly love Soccer (Football if you must insist although Association Football is it's real name whereas Gridiron Football is "American Football") and am entranced by it every time.  It also helps that my parents are Romanian immigrants so the sport was pretty much all around me.  Great fun on dusty streets to pass the time and spout some salty language.

Nothing of what happens on the screen matters unless you actually understand the strategy of the sport.  Positions and their importance, what each player is doing, and the various strategies and moves that players do as a team is fascinating.  Besides it's a fluid sport.  Like other pitch-based sports (Hockey, Rugby, Football), it's dynamic.  Baseball is a very individualistic sport where your role as a player is to just do your job very well over and over again.  In Soccer, the sport is dynamic and players have to adapt to their situation on the field.

Second the game very much relies on the circumstances around the game.  The politics and nationalities of the players are what adds meaning to who is playing where and against whom.  This is the appeal to European football and why it's the center of the soccer world.  That is where the reputation and the money is and there's a multi-billion dollar industry around buying and trading players.  Besides I find it fascinating to note the origins of players (nationality and which clubs they play for) and how that contributes to the game.

There's my sell.  If you're not into it, it's because you never had cause to be interested in it.  I personally can't stand baseball nor basketball because I'm not good at those sports and I was never exposed them at home.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raviolisumo
@Clinkz: But Hockey is the greatest sport.
CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By CSXLoser

the best thing about soccer is the intensity of just getting one goal and the fact a game can go 0-0

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By bacongames
@Wes899:  So you do like Hockey.  Then the reasons why Soccer is great is similar to Hockey's reasons, minus the violence, size, and temperature.
Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Clinkz
@Wes899 said:

" @Clinkz: But Hockey is the greatest sport. "

I'm quite partial to baseball, basketball, football, golf, and rowing myself.
Horgaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Horgaan

The world cup isn't about the spectacle like American sports such as football and basketball where you have commercial breaks and scantily clad cheerleaders. It's about the game. The beauty of the game lies in its improvisational and spontaneous nature.  
You can't sit down and tune in the TV to soccer and expect upwards of 2 or 3 goals in a game. Plus, if you watch with a group of friends who are really into the game you may find yourself getting sucked into it as well. I have friends that don't know a single thing about soccer (one of them asked me to explain the offside rule to them) but when we all get together and watch a game in which the USA (I'm American, if you couldn't already tell by my use of the word 'soccer') is playing some tried and tested European nation we're all glued to the TV and we all yell like drunken fools if Clint Dempsey or Landen Donovan launches a ball over the cross-bar from point-blank. 

Just try watching a game with a group of friends and see if you like it.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By armaan8014
@Wes899: I, being a huge devotee of soccer,  will sell it to you!
Well soccer,  (i'll call it football now) is a beautiful game. It's not just about the scoring, but even the small act of controlling the ball requires a lot of practice. And when you are able to keep the ball completely under your control, it's a kind of a special feeling.
Football, in my opinion, is the best representation of TEAM sports. A single player cannot do anything. Sure, he may be able to take the ball from the  halfline to score, but not without his team mates backing him up.

Football goddamn defies physics! (OK, it doesn't but you'll see things that you thought weren't possible before). That beautiful goal, hit by the player, with just the PERFECT amount of energy, with inch-perfect precision, makes the ball fly just above the keepers hands, but dips down into the goal before the crossbar comes into its way . Oh yes, football is the place to watch magic.

Here, watch a video from FIFA 06 that always makes me crazy about football:

The most important requirement for enjoying football is to devote yourself to a team or two and to some players. Find out which team you like best, find out which players you like (not just by how they play, but even how they are as people. That's the reason I'm crazy about Kaka and Lampard, but just hate  C.Ronaldo).  This is a very important point, because when your favorite team puts the ball into the net, the feeling is indescribable. THAT'S  actually what makes football so beautiful - 85 minutes of football possession. That's what makes each goal so special. You know, each season, whenever my team scores, I always get up from my seat and do a little celebration and a dance :D I can't help it. The sound of the crowd always makes me lose my mind. Football is one of my greatest passions.

If you want to get deeper into football (beyond the world cup) I suggest you start watching club football. Since the English Premier League is the most widely telecast-ed league, you should get into that, though you can watch some other league too. Other than that, I suggest you start playing the FIFA games! To tell you the truth, my love for football started in 2004, when I played FIFA 05 (picked AC Milan, devoted to them now. Started supporting Chelsea as well in 06 after watching the world cup). When you play a season in FIFA, you'll get to know EVERYTHING. The names of all players, strategies, how the game is played, what's possible, what is not. Seriously, this is one great way to get into football.
Here, watch another great video from FIFA 06. And watch how Gerard's shot swings abnormally and magically at 00:19 !!

And watch a video about the meaning of football (again from FIFA 06, what a great game!)

Hope you fall in love with football the way I have. Enjoy

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Soccer (football) is the best sport to watch in my opinion.  Yeah sure, there are not a lot of goals, thats what makes it exciting. You get excited when there are opportunities. you get excited by the creativity players show, and their determination. An exciting game can have no goals, but many opportunities and still be amazing. Sports like basketball are not exciting, since they are so oversaturated with goals. A goal is so pointless in bball, but so precious in soccer. Thats why its the best sport, imho.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By samcotts

If football hasn't got you by now, then maybe it's just not for you. 

Here in England, football is the most talked about thing in the country, it is practically every males passion, it's unavoidable. If you really want to get into football then you need to surround yourself with football fans, as it's just as much about debating, about personalities in the sport and rivalries as it about the matches themselves. 

If you lived in the UK, convincing you that football is the greatest thing in existence would be easy.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By neoepoch

I can get why someone would be a fan of soccer. What I can't get is why fans get into such a fervor that they would riot and physically harm each other over the game. Other sports sometimes have that problem, but it seems like you hear about sports riots most often with soccer....and Red Sox/Patriots fans.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By samcotts

This video gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. May help you understand the passion behind football.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#29  Edited By AgentJ

I think one of the best things about Soccer is being at the game. I have season tickets to the Sounders and the atmosphere can be numbing at times. And that is taking into account my frequent AMERICAN Football games at Qwest Field (I'd like to see any other NFL fan base hit 134 decibels. That's right. Suck it.). And unlike other mainstream sports, goal scoring is so infrequent that when it does finally happen its such a fantastic outpouring of emotion, where everyone is just happy and excited. I love both games like they were my own children, and I recommend you go to a soccer game if you can (ideally one in a city that actually supports the sport. In the states, that appears to be Columbus, Seattle, Houston and Philadelphia.) 

Also, I do love Football and Baseball, but those sports in comparison have nearly no real action compared to Soccer. The average amount of actual play in Football is about 20 minutes. Baseball must be even less. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armaan8014
@samcotts: Oh FU*K. I can't believe it. I actually got goosebumps all over my body. Especially @  3:27 (Bergkamp I guess). Amazing
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By artofwar420

The only way someone can like soccer is by playing it. Actually playing it, which not that many people have in the States, sure some when they're kids, but that's not real football.   

Personally I'd rather play it myself rather than watch it, the World Cup is fun though.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chewii101

Hockey is the greatest sport in the world. Period. WOot. 

But soccer is still awesome. Trying watching some EPL highlights or the Champions League (Barcelona winkwink)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#33  Edited By AgentJ
@Chewii101 said:
" Hockey is the greatest sport in the world. Period. WOot.   But soccer is still awesome. Trying watching some EPL highlights or the Champions League (Barcelona winkwink) "
Hockey. Way too chaotic for my taste. The olympic games were fun to watch this year but in general, it's not my sport. 
@artofwar420 said:
"

The only way someone can like soccer is by playing it. Actually playing it, which not that many people have in the States, sure some when they're kids, but that's not real football.   

Personally I'd rather play it myself rather than watch it, the World Cup is fun though.

"
Not true. I only played Soccer as a kid and I like soccer. A lot.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By artofwar420
@AgentJ: OK, maybe I exagerated, I meant that for the OP.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@samcotts: what a video! bergkamp was such a beast. I loved his days at Arsenal with Henry. 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gizmo

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ThePencil

I have to laugh when people insist on calling it 'soccer'. Its football, deal with it (because hey, we actually use our feet to move the ball! American Handball on the other hand...) And if I had to sell it to you, well: unless you have a serious fetish for overbearing crowds, bodily violence, elbows and pies in the face, riots, an almost Nazi like approach to supporting a team and of course sheer bloody boredom then I really wouldnt have to sell it would I?

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#38  Edited By Valkyr

It´s my country most popular sport and I still don´t enjoy it, I prefer watching Tennis but if I had to choose a team based game I would go for football anyday (what you are calling soccer)

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By deadly_polo
Football (or Soccer) is not about anything in particular, it is about players, moments and everyone else who is involved combining to form something spectacular, like those goals in that video from FIFA 06, solo efforts but what about the passes building up to them, even the little thing must go right or else these things wouldn't happen. 

I was playing for my school against a much stronger team, and, deep into extra time, a shot from outside the area hit me as I was desperately diving to block it, and the ball went the away from the keeper, one nil to the opposition. But that didn't make me quit; a corner to us in the last minute, the ball is cleared back to our corner taker, who has to hit it all the way back to me on the half way line; I take a swing and hit it high into their area. The ball bounces, no one touches it, the keeper stands still as it goes over his head and in for the equalizer. 

That moment was probably one of the greatest of my (young) footballing career, and it shows how all the pieces fell together to make something special, which probably I will never do again. That's the thing about football, things happen that are simply amazing, and thats why you watch it.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By armaan8014
@kingchris28:  Yep, it's hard to really describe football completely. I obviously missed out some of the points while writing about it. By the way, I as well have been playing football for my school for the past 4-5 years. Anyways, school is over now, so maybe I'll get to carry it on in college.
And wasn't your post a reply to mine? I got a PM about it. Wonder what's that about.
Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meltac

Football, no it's not soccer, is the worlds greatest sport. Try buy Fifa 10, that could slowly help you know the different teams and so on.

@Tuffgong: Couldn't have said it any better ^^

Oh, and now when we are at it.. Messi Messi Messi!  :D

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Red12b
@Wes899 said:

" @Hamz said:

" First problem right there. You're calling it soccer when it's called Football.  Second problem. You're expecting it to be like another sport, it's not Baseball and nothing like it. So don't expect it to be.  Third problem. It's fucking boring watching sports on TV no matter what sport it is. Period. Seriously though, you're either into it or not. My suggestion would be to maybe place a bet on a team and make sure you watch every match they play. This will hopefully cause you to feel some passion as money is at stake on whether they win or lose. "
All valid points(Except it's called Soccer), going to see a hockey game with front row seats is nothing like watching on TV. Sadly, I'm not a betting man so I guess I'll just try to watch in a big group and see if their enthusiasm rubs off. "

It's called Football. 
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By armaan8014
@Red12b said:
" @Wes899 said:

" @Hamz said:

All valid points(Except it's called Soccer), going to see a hockey game with front row seats is nothing like watching on TV. Sadly, I'm not a betting man so I guess I'll just try to watch in a big group and see if their enthusiasm rubs off. "

It's called Football. 
"
Dude, yes. I hate it when people call rugby football, and football soccer
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By samcotts

Last post, I promise. 

Watch the European Champions League. For me, it's even better then the World Cup and often produces some of the best games in the sport.

SoFuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SoFuLL
@Clinkz said:
" You have simply awakened my friend. Soccer is a game only Europeans and South Americans enjoy. In my eyes, its the shittiest sport. EVEN worse than hockey.  EDIT: It's called soccer people. Football is reserved for a real man's sport. "
Well it's more logical to call it football because you actually play with your feet.
As a European, I have a hard time watching "American Football" because it seems there are constant pauses and breaks that interrupt the game.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By eclipsesis

Football is a way of life for the entire world, it just seems the US wants be all cool and stick to there quarters and not half's, but don't worry its growing in popularity over there.

Frank Lampard one of the best midfielder's in the world, 153 goals and counting

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NukeSpoon

Football is rubbish.

Most people who like it are morons.

It turns you into a moron (myself included).

If you choose to follow a terrible underachieving side like Spurs (like myself), all you get is horrifically pointless emotional pain.

If you choose to follow a successful side like United or Chelsea, then you have no soul and what's the point?

If you watch any football team, just watch Barcelona because when they play, boy, do they play. Ignore the fact that they're successful (that said, it's Real Madrid who are 1st right now).  In fact, La Liga's better than the English Premiership because even the small teams try to play football, rather than hoof it like Bolton or Blackburn.

Alternatively, if you want a touch of class, watch cricket.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By eclipsesis
@NukeSpoon:
Hahaha you lost to Pompy the other night 
AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AngelKore

Watch Rugby instead.

NukeSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NukeSpoon
@eclipsesis said:
" @NukeSpoon:Hahaha you lost to Pompy the other night  "
We did indeed.

Most Spurs fans who aren't dribbling vegetables could see that coming a mile off.

Not surprisingly, there aren't a lot of us.