• 99 results
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nocall

I just read this horribly slanted "news article" (I won't link it b/c they don't deserve the pageviews) that was essentially demonizing the Republican party because of new voting laws/regulations that have been enacted. Now, I'm no fan of the Republicans, but I don't see what the fuss is about. Basically all the rules were:

1) Some states make you present a government issued ID before you can vote
2) Some states make you prove you're a US citizen before you can register to vote
3) Some states are not allowing ex-felons to vote

Now, these all seem like sane stipulations for voting to me. The article was insinuating that all these rules were put in to block Obama from getting reelected, and that made them the worst things ever to happen to anyone ever. But...I mean...you have to have an ID? You have to be a citizen and never have been to prison? Those are the people who should be voting, anyway. Why should non-citizens, or people who've never bothered to get an ID (a non-drivers licence ID costs $10 in my state) be voting anyhow? I guess prisoners could be argued for--they did their time and, by being out, are supposedly rehabilitated into cheery-eyed citizens again--but (and this is my personal opinion) I think the justice system in the US is too weak anyhow, so I don't have any issues for this.

I don't know. Is this actually a horrible thing and am I a horrible person for not thinking so?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By imsh_pl

Democracy is stupid.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nocall
@imsh_pl: gotta pulled this ol' "tried but true" one out 

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Meowshi

Yes. 

Next topic. 

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By imsh_pl
@Nocall: I still think it's a stupid system, but it would be hard to invent (and put into practice, more importantly) a better one.
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matthias2437

You should have to have been a U.S. citizen for at least 1 year, be at least 18 years of age and show I.D. and proof of citizenship when you vote.

Edit: Don't take this as me saying "ONLY REAL MERCANS SHOULD BE ABLE TO VOTE" I don't care where you came from or how you get here, just take the gd time to actually become a U.S. citizen then you can do what ever any other U.S. citizen can do.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nocall
@imsh_pl: Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. Trust me, we are on the same page. What you said just reminded me of that quote.
Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nocall
@Meowshi: Even people who aren't US citizens?
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By imsh_pl
@Nocall: Fair enough.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Nocall
No Caption Provided
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowshi
@Nocall said:
@Meowshi: Even people who aren't US citizens?
Well, of course not.  
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowshi

I don't see why felons shouldn't be allowed to vote.  It seems like just another thing to make them fall back into their old ways.  

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

Everybody but me.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By inkerman

I'm against interred felons being allowed to vote, but apart from that, everyone over the age of 18 who is a citizen, although I think providing an ID is reasonable.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowshi

I'm not sure interred means what you think it does.  

ohnobruno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ohnobruno

It's problem because there is no wave of mass voter impersonation. They are attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist. But implemeneting stricter rules will end inevitably see these rules being inacted poorly and will end up disenfranchising a large number of voters. Florida has infamously purged thousands of legitimate voters from their voter registrations. In the end it will end up doing far more damage than good.  

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@imsh_pl said:
Democracy is stupid.
Pretty much. Monarchy all the way!
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matthias2437

@Meowshi: Yeah not letting felons vote doesn't really make since, still a U.S. citizen so they should still be able to vote.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By donutfever
@Inkerman said:
I'm against interred felons being allowed to vote, but apart from that, everyone over the age of 18 who is a citizen, although I think providing an ID is reasonable."  
I absolutely agree. Felons who are buried should totally not be able to vote.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Democracy isn't stupid, people are, and people vote.

The only people who shouldn't be allowed to vote are the mentally unfit and people currently incarcerated in prison. That's a big one for america considering how big the prison population is.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShockD

Wow, this thread is being owned by imperialists...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@matthias2437 said:

You should have to have been a U.S. citizen for at least 1 year, be at least 18 years of age and show I.D. and proof of citizenship when you vote.

Edit: Don't take this as me saying "ONLY REAL MERCANS SHOULD BE ABLE TO VOTE" I don't care where you came from or how you get here, just take the gd time to actually become a U.S. citizen then you can do what ever any other U.S. citizen can do.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By scarace360

people who are ex-felons should be able to vote and you should just have to bring an ID. thats all.

Challenge9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Challenge9000

The United States of America has a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. 

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Yanngc33

Yeah I guess

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pezen

You can't have democracy without risking imbeciles voting for stupid things. And you can't have a utopia without fascism. Everyone should ethically be allowed to vote. But rationally speaking, not everyone is capable of forming smart, educated deductions of the available facts because they're too subjective and rarely see the big picture and they don't have other people's happiness in mind.

Sure, vote away!

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nekroskop

American politics are fun to watch.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By amomjc

All the anti-democracy nuts jumped all over this thread, amusing.

However, I am a full supporter on blocking voting in this country to those who don't commit or use any part of effort to become a citizen of this nation. We are electing a President, and although that may not seem grand to some, it is, and to allow those that do not have the common sense to gather an ID or who have sullied this nation with their crime, do not deserve that right. I believe a Felon has the right to vote, only if he has proven himself to be a betterment of the nation instead of a detriment.

Then again, I am also the guy who believes everyone should need a certain score on an IQ test in order to vote, because half of them vote for some of the dumbest reasons I have ever heard.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By JasonR86

I agree that only US citizens should be allowed to vote for US related governmental issues because they are the ones that ultimately pay or gain from those votes.  BUT, the whole 'ex-felons can't vote' business is idiotic.  If a person serves their time to completion and leaves prison amicably then their should be no reason their lives should have limitations placed on them.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By skrutop

@JasonR86 said:

I agree that only US citizens should be allowed for US related governmental issues because they are the ones that ultimately pay or gain from those votes. BUT, the whole 'ex-felons can't vote' business is idiotic. If a person serves their time to completion and leaves prison amicably then their should be no reason their lives should have limitations on it.

I agree.

My suspicion is that the article the OP mentioned has its panties twisted because the voting laws affect African-Americans and Latinos, who vote Democrat most of the time. However, that doesn't mean that the two things are related.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By TehFlan

If there's a state where non-citizens can vote, our political system is more fucked than I thought. I see no problem with requiring an ID, but not letting felons vote hardly seems necessary. On the other hand, if felons make up significant portion of a candidate's votes, I don't think that says much good about that candidate.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jozzy

@skrutop said:

@JasonR86 said:

I agree that only US citizens should be allowed for US related governmental issues because they are the ones that ultimately pay or gain from those votes. BUT, the whole 'ex-felons can't vote' business is idiotic. If a person serves their time to completion and leaves prison amicably then their should be no reason their lives should have limitations on it.

I agree.

My suspicion is that the article the OP mentioned has its panties twisted because the voting laws affect African-Americans and Latinos, who vote Democrat most of the time. However, that doesn't mean that the two things are related.

'They might not be related, but you wont hear the republicans complain. I personally don't think being a felon should exclude you from voting, it's just another way to make sure they feel like they are living outside the society and have no responsibility towards it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Simplexity

Trusting the public to elect people is insane, they should just appoint the smartest man in the world emperor and he can decide what we should do, much easier that way, no more elections campaigns, no more ridiculous politicians, and we'd be in good hands and no more need to think about this stuff.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By amir90

Yes, like in Norway, if you are 18, you can vote, criminal or not.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster

Sure, as long as they're a citizen and the appropriate age.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GoodKn1ght

@DonutFever said:

@Inkerman said:
I'm against interred felons being allowed to vote, but apart from that, everyone over the age of 18 who is a citizen, although I think providing an ID is reasonable."
I absolutely agree. Felons who are buried should totally not be able to vote.

I know it sounds very prejudice but all buried americans should not be allowed to vote, they are a menace to society and need to be eradicated.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LibraryDues

While I have sympathy for the argument that even the disadvantaged and uneducated deserve representation, I would not mind a very basic civics test for voters.

How can a person be expected to make a halfway decent choice for who they want to be their senator, for example, if they do not have an underlying grasp of what a senator is/does?

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By 1337W422102

I think voting should be based on awareness rather that age, but that'd be harder to enforce.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By JasonR86
@LibraryDues said:

While I have sympathy for the argument that even the disadvantaged and uneducated deserve representation, I would not mind a very basic civics test for voters.

How can a person be expected to make a halfway decent choice for who they want to be their senator, for example, if they do not have an underlying grasp of what a senator is/does?

But then where would the line be drawn?  As soon as we say that one person can't vote due to their intelligence then we get into a scary situation where the apparent 'intelligent people' get to decide who is superior enough to do one thing or another.  Further, how is it anyone's right to determine at what level one is good enough to vote versus being 'just not good enough'?  I think that logic leads to a slippery slope.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Prodstep said:

Trusting the public to elect people is insane, they should just appoint the smartest man in the world emperor and he can decide what we should do, much easier that way, no more elections campaigns, no more ridiculous politicians, and we'd be in good hands and no more need to think about this stuff.

"Sup fools? I'm all into math and shit." 
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meowshi
@Prodstep said:

This is pretty ridiculous.  The qualities a president should have go far beyond simply being intelligent.  
Avatar image for uprooteddreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By UprootedDreamer

You should have to pass a test before you are allowed to vote.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mikemcn

Yes, as soon as you start deciding who can and cannot vote, democracy fails. (Within reason.)

Obviously incarcerated felons and people not legally part of the country should be barred from voting. People walking over the border from canada and voting for the next US president would be kind of strange, as would letting convicted serial killers decide who they want in office.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By ajamafalous
@Pezen said:

Everyone should ethically be allowed to vote. But rationally speaking, not everyone is capable of forming smart, educated deductions of the available facts because they're too subjective and rarely see the big picture and they don't have other people's happiness in mind.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Meowshi
@Mikemcn said:

Yes, as soon as you start deciding who can and cannot vote, democracy fails. (Within reason.)

Obviously interred felons and people not legally part of the country should be barred from voting. People walking over the border from canada and voting for the next US president would be kind of strange, as would letting convicted serial killers decide who they want in office.

I'm again confused by the use of the word "interred" here.   

Am I missing something?
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By mikemcn

@Meowshi said:

@Mikemcn said:

Obviously interred felons and people not legally part of the country should be barred from voting. People walking over the border from canada and voting for the next US president would be kind of strange, as would letting convicted serial killers decide who they want in office.

I'm again confused by the use of the word "interred" here. Am I missing something?

You missed the part where i'm an idiot, I meant Incarcerated, I read interred in an earlier post and used it without thinking.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By MikeinSC
@ohnobruno said:
It's problem because there is no wave of mass voter impersonation. They are attempting to solve a problem that doesn't exist. But implemeneting stricter rules will end inevitably see these rules being inacted poorly and will end up disenfranchising a large number of voters. Florida has infamously purged thousands of legitimate voters from their voter registrations. In the end it will end up doing far more damage than good.   
Given that there is no checking of ID's, claiming that there is no problem of voter impersonation is a stretch. That plenty of precincts have more votes than voters is an undeniable problem.

Why is a photo ID such a burden? Are they saying minorities just can't procure one, since it's always "It'll disenfranchise people" that is the expressed reason for opposing something so common sense?
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By MikeinSC
@JasonR86 said:
I agree that only US citizens should be allowed to vote for US related governmental issues because they are the ones that ultimately pay or gain from those votes.  BUT, the whole 'ex-felons can't vote' business is idiotic.  If a person serves their time to completion and leaves prison amicably then their should be no reason their lives should have limitations placed on them.
Many ex-felons have other restrictions on their rights, such as gun ownership. You sacrifice things when you commit crimes. Want to avoid that? Don't commit crimes.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Yes, i think so.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Unfortunately, yes. Which is the fundamental flaw of democracy.