Should I get an iPad for college?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Instead of buying expensive bulky textbooks, I was wanting to get into ebooks. What is the support for textbooks on the ibook app? Kindle and iPad have the ability to make my life a lot easier, I just don't want to buy one only to find out 1/4 of the books I'll ever need are offered. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I think it kinda depends on what college you're going to. A decent number of the books I've had have been versions special made for my college (or at least that's what it said on the book).  

Sounds like a decent idea, but books (usually) aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. Yeah, it'd be more than an iPad in the long run, but books! You can use them to start fires! 

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ben99

yeah good luck . I don't think I'll ever buy  that thing  because it does pretty much what a good laptop does . 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

Your major and college will likely make a huge difference. In four semesters I've only had 2-3 courses that had ebooks available.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The iPad is great for books. The iBooks app uses ePub and can also do PDF. I haven't messed with the Kindle or Nook apps yet, so I don't know how well they would treat you. This website may or may not help, I dunno :) http://www.textbooks.com/etextbooks.php?CSID=QK20CCD0QQD0QCMCMKKUM2MUU&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=Performics&utm_term=Affiliate&PartnerID=k238450&utm_campaign=k238450&ganmem=622321359&mcid=XAF-j31838661k238450-k238450 - Seems like you can search to see what textbooks are available in what formats. Google searches for "iPad / ePub "Book Name" "Author" could also bring up some helpful info.

If you can get a majority of your textbooks on the iPad, I'd highly recommend getting one.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iam3green

i would say no man. you don't know if there is an ebook of it or not until you figure out what classes you are taking.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Even if iBooks doesn't have the title you're looking for you can still download Amazon's Kindle App. Kindle had all of the books I needed this semester on it.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By CastroCasper

This seems like a question for your school. I got an iPad for multiple reasons, however a main one was so that I wouldn't be glued to my desk and computer. HOWEVER and this is a BIG HOWEVER, I can't even get to my schools webpage (which is said to be of the highest quality when using an Apple product, mainly Safari) let alone look at any of my digital text book. So my recommendation is if you want an iPad solely for the purpose of school textbooks, make 100% sure that it is even an option. 

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikeHawk
@Ben99 said:
" yeah good luck . I don't think I'll ever buy  that thing  because it does pretty much what a good laptop does .  "
This. I understand that the draw is the whole user-experience thing and I've messed around with an iPad before. But I can buy the newest high-end eeePC that beats it in everything except maybe battery life for $100 less than the cheapest iPad SKU.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hot_Karl
@ajamafalous said:
" Your major and college will likely make a huge difference. In four semesters I've only had 2-3 courses that had ebooks available. "
Same here. Also, i see the iPad as more of a toy than an actual learning device. It seems that you could get a decent laptop for the same price that you'd get an iPad for, and you'll know that it'll run Word, online textbooks, powerpoint, etc.
DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DrHawking

Books don't run out of battery and don't need a power cable if you forget to bring it to class.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JazzyJeff

Sounds like a great idea. I would wait until I registered for classes, though. That way you know what books you need, and you can see if they are available digitally.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By butano

Why not just download the free Kindle app for your computer?

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Romination

I'm going to go no. For a lot of textbooks, ereaders still aren't as easily navigable as real books, where you might have to be flipping back and forth for information. There are still a lot of ebooks that you can get on a computer anyways, and a good amount of weird publishers have this odd proprietary ebook thing that only works in browser. At least for me. 

@MooseyMcMan said:

" Sounds like a decent idea, but books (usually) aren't as expensive as people make them out to be."
My calculus book cost over $200. 
...sure, I've used the same book 3 years in a row..... 
But compare it to my art appreciation book- which isn't even bound, it's just loose paper- which is $80.
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'd say just look into getting a high end netbook. If you're interested in it for textbooks, than most companies are adopting the ability to purchase e-books, although not all books (namely science texts) do this, for most books and getting an iPad for that is sort of hard to recommend.  A netbook would allow you to have the e-book, your lecture slides and class notes all together in a more accessible, and just as portable, package that the iPad doesn't totally give you.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John1912
@EpicSteve:   I would wait a semester to see if its worth it.  Your Ipad may be damaged in a party, or stolen.  See how things go with paper back first.
Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Deranged

I wouldn't recommend it. 

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mrfizzy
@EpicSteve: No, if you want to get it only for e-books youll be wasting your money, go and get an e-book reader. Also you will want to make sure that your books are available as e-books before you go and buy something like that. Ask your college, they should be able to tell you.  Also if you were looking at the ipad coz you want a computer you can carry around with you, go and get a cheap netbook, itll do everything you need it for and you wont bankrupt yourself getting one.  
Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Surkov

I don't recommend it either. I have only had the opportunity to purchase may be 3 or 4 ebooks (I'm a junior Computer Science Major), and frankly I'd rather have a physical book to sell back. You can't sell back ebooks.  

Also, think of it this way, if you buy an iPad, your buying a $500 device just so you can purchase $100+ ebooks online without the ability to make any of that back.  

Use that money to buy a nice laptop or better yet, use that money for books, lol. 

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MaddProdigy

No man, not at all. Don't waste the money. Even if college textbooks were available as ebooks, which considering the costs they probably won't be for a long time, you still would most likely find very little use for it. 

On the other hand, if you don't have a laptop, an iPad or other tablet may be useful. It really depends on if you personally feel like you would get real use out of 400 or 500$ that way.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By HS21

Do you want to look like an asshole?

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By FCKSNAP
@HS21 said:
" Do you want to look like an asshole? "
I would. Gets you chicks.
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HS21
@Snapstacle said:
" @HS21 said:
" Do you want to look like an asshole? "
I would. Gets you chicks. "
With dicks even.
NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666
@EpicSteve: My first reaction was to say: "No, why?" but after thinking about it, there is something alluring about having all of your textbooks at your fingertips; you won't have to lug heavy books back and forward, or have any trouble reading them in less than ideal locations.

But for me, I'm a traditionalist. I like to have a shelf full of books that make me look smart.

Even still, there are a few things you need to consider:
You will be marking up your books, your text, highlighting, writing in them; will you be able to do the same with an ipad?
You will be tabbing the shit out of your books- something you can't immediately do with an ipad.   
Sometimes professors will sell coursepacks that you can't get online.

For me, I think it would be easier to study having an actual book in front of me, but maybe I'm just old and not "hip" with the new technology. I won't discount it right away, but it seems like an expensive investment for something that might not be as good as the cheaper alternative.

EDIT: YAAAAY! It's my 100th post. Damn it, I was saving it for something more extravagant. Oh well...*Tweeeeeet*
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

Text book support is generally poor (at least for the kindle) because the university makes money on the books.  The iPad is more of an internet consumption device.

I took a digital recorder and a laptop. Then again, I have my BA in English, and the note taking wasn't very intensive.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Radar
@EpicSteve said:
" Instead of buying expensive bulky textbooks, I was wanting to get into ebooks. What is the support for textbooks on the ibook app? Kindle and iPad have the ability to make my life a lot easier, I just don't want to buy one only to find out 1/4 of the books I'll ever need are offered.  "
Getting an iPad for textbooks is a bad idea. Ebooks are not going to be supported and you aren't going to be able to sell those ebooks back. I haven't used an iPad for any extensive note taking but I feel a QWERTY keyboard would be more efficient.
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JazGalaxy

under no circumstances should you buy an ipad "for college". I have one and I use it all the time. I absolutely love it. I use it literally almost all the time I'm not driving. 

But it's not a computer in any way. It's not a replacement for a computer in any way. It's not a good device to study on in any way. It's not a replacement for paper in any way. 

So, it's handy as a calendar, as a best-experience-ever web browser, as a media device, as a gaming unit and I would buy it for any of those reasons. But if you're looking to be productive, you can't use that as an excuse to get one.

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mastrbiggy

get a kindle for $130.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Burzmali

To echo everyone else: no. I have an iPad, and I'm taking online courses, and I would never use the iPad just for ebooks. It's not a productivity machine. I tried using it in place of my laptop when I went out of the country for Christmas (didn't want the laptop to get damaged/stolen), and it was very poor for even rudimentary processes. With a physical keyboard, it would have helped a lot, but then I may as well have my laptop as far as lugging stuff around goes. 

The iPad is great for entertainment. It's no good for actual productivity.

Avatar image for zombie_shakespeare
Zombie_Shakespeare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Definitely not. 

Like other people keep doing, I'm just going to suggest again that you get a nice netbook instead. 

The iPad is a toy.