Show off your for reals Warhammer/40K/etc. tabletop stuff

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#251  Edited By Zelyre

After last night's nerd-gasm of table top gaming, I thought I'd give this thread a bump for people who might be interested in what painted up miniatures look like.

Since this this thread is for showing one's work...

I've been working on this Warmachine figure for a while. I've been trying to work on a technique called non-metal metal. There are miniature paints that are "metallic" since they contain bits of metal (or shiny particles) in them. non-metal metal is the kind of look you'd see in a 2d drawing with that techique applied to a 3d model. When done right, it looks great. When done poorly, it looks bad. I'm not quite at the poor state. I can do golds all right, but steel is a nope, hence the unpainted weapons.

I've been taking my time as this particular miniature is quite rare. It was a give away to people who subscribed to the Warmachine magazine, No Quarter in the early days before Warmachine really got big.

No Caption Provided

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Eff you formatting! Chaos 'naught in progress from the DA set from last year.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time this thread makes a return I get happy.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First post!

Images are from my in progress WHFB Beastman army, with a Tomb Kings Hierotitan emerging from the sands for good measure.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Zelyre

First post!

Images are from my in progress WHFB Beastman army, with a Tomb Kings Hierotitan emerging from the sands for good measure.

No Caption Provided

What do you use for your basing/terrain/sand? Because that looks really slick so far.

Murgatroyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@murgatroyd said:

First post!

No Caption Provided

What do you use for your basing/terrain/sand? Because that looks really slick so far.

It's a mix of water and Liquitex's coarse texture gel, using karak stone as the color. The gel itself is a chunky medium that spreads and hardens super well. The trick is just in manipulating it, as it feels almost like crafting terrain out of cake frosting. I ended up applying it with whatever I had on hand at the time (a sculpting tool I think) and spreading the texture out to flow better with a paper towel, actually. Comes out a little better on the back, because the sand needed to "flow" off the model.

The strips coming off the arms are pieces of a plastic bag I cut up and applied the gel to, though they need some layering. The entire back end of the model is actually a chunk of a plastic bag, balled up and glued in particular places to add volume, with a couple layers of the gel creating the visible terrain.

No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#258  Edited By jakob187

It's awesome seeing the painting/creative talent of the Giant Bomb tabletop community. Sadly, I don't really play a whole lot of games that involve me having to paint and such.

Here's the last round of D&D minis that I painted/helped paint.

No Caption Provided

I'm not super great at painting them, but I'm happy with the work that I've done.

Personally, I play Heroclix. It doesn't require any painting, and for reasons beyond me, a lot of people frown upon the game. I love it, though. Therefore, I'm going to infect this thread with my game of choice. I'm sorry.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided