Since Everyone Else Is Doing It: My Top 10 of 2008

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

I'm going to do this a little different than everyone else.  I'm not numbering my fucking selections.  I don't think I could honestly pick a #1 game this year, as there were honestly too many fucking good ones!!!  So, I'm going to keep this basic, short, and simple...just to conform for once and see how it feels.  In no particular order:

• Dead Space
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Gears of War 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Grid
  • Crysis Warhead
  • Civilization Revolution
  • Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
  • Saint's Row 2

Whine and complain all you want.  Those are the games that I have continued to come back to time and time again, and they are ALWAYS good.  I already know that someone is going to complain that MGS4 isn't on the fucking list, and for good fucking reason:  I didn't like it.  I also didn't like Little Big Planet.  As a matter of fact, I didn't really like anything on the PS3 AT ALL this year, other than Resistance 2.  However, MGS4 is a "love it or hate it" game, and I've loathed that franchise for a while.  It's just not my kind of movie...errr...game, and I don't understand all the fascination.  LBP wasn't a game, but more a set of tools to create games that are dull and uninteresting after a while because you realize that you can't keep all the COOL SHIT up on the servers.

So, there ya go.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

I'm going to do this a little different than everyone else.  I'm not numbering my fucking selections.  I don't think I could honestly pick a #1 game this year, as there were honestly too many fucking good ones!!!  So, I'm going to keep this basic, short, and simple...just to conform for once and see how it feels.  In no particular order:

• Dead Space
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Gears of War 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Grid
  • Crysis Warhead
  • Civilization Revolution
  • Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
  • Saint's Row 2

Whine and complain all you want.  Those are the games that I have continued to come back to time and time again, and they are ALWAYS good.  I already know that someone is going to complain that MGS4 isn't on the fucking list, and for good fucking reason:  I didn't like it.  I also didn't like Little Big Planet.  As a matter of fact, I didn't really like anything on the PS3 AT ALL this year, other than Resistance 2.  However, MGS4 is a "love it or hate it" game, and I've loathed that franchise for a while.  It's just not my kind of movie...errr...game, and I don't understand all the fascination.  LBP wasn't a game, but more a set of tools to create games that are dull and uninteresting after a while because you realize that you can't keep all the COOL SHIT up on the servers.

So, there ya go.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Not you too, man!

Well, take everything off except the second and your list would be the same. Liking Left 4 Dead is the judge of taste in this world, and you, sir, have it.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jakob187

Oh, don't worry...I'm already expecting tons of hate for both making a list and having Civilization Revolution on it...but I don't forget games that came out before October.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Okay, hang on.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By bwooduhs

Nice list. I mostly agree and am glad to see someone else that doesn't like Metal Gear. I'm happy Saints Row 2 is on there too because thats one of the games i had most fun with this year.

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By bonesaw

solid list. havent played some of those games (mortal kombat, saints row 2, and gears of war 2), i asked for them for christmas though, so hopefully ill get to enjoy them as much as you did.  Dead Space will deffinitely be on my list as well, most likely in the top 3 if not number 1.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I think it's a great list. I usually get enough money (gift cards) for Christmas to buy about 4 games. Two are on your list, Dead Space and Civilization Revolution, I can't wait to play those two. The holidays can't come fast enough. I played GTA IV and Fallout 3 on your list, if I had a top ten they would make it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

Wow...I was expecting people to lay into the list for having Civ Rev on there.  LOL  I really enjoyed the HELL out of that game, and since my boss and the manager here at the store love that game (and strategy games in general), we can always get a 4 player sys link going on it.  It's super fun for us, but overall, they did a really great job of scaling down the experience of Civilization without screwing it up - something that is VERY difficult to find in PC-to-console translations.

And Dead Space...well, that game just fucking owned my soul.  It's about to start owning my soul again after I get super close to or finally 1k Fallout 3, as I'm going to take a serious stab at Impossible mode.  = D

I'm extremely sad that Saint's Row 2 isn't on more end-of-the-year lists.  Out of all the games that came out this year, that's the one I found exudes the most downright fun.  It never takes itself too seriously, it knows it's a game, and it's the one game that constantly has me laughing, hollering, and going nuts over the shit I do in it.  When you have THAT much fun playing a game, you KNOW it's something special.  I NEVER felt that with the first game.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

for me:
- Lost Odyssey
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- Fable 2
- MGS4
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Last Remnant
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Fallout 3
- Gears 2
- (that game I forgot)

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#10  Edited By joey

You forgot NHL 09.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
joey said:
"You forgot NHL 09."
I was going to put it on there, but man...I really really REALLY loved Grid and Civ Rev.  = D  However, let it be known that NHL 09 rocks the fucking socks!!!
Avatar image for hallowed_be_my_name
Hallowed_Be_My_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

GTA IV was far worse than the majority of critics advertised it as.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead
Hallowed_Be_My_Name said:
"GTA IV was far worse than the majority of critics advertised it as."
You're basing this on what? Before you claim i'm being hypocritical, i'm at least putting forward valid points rather than just shitting on it.

EDIT: Dead Space, I mean. That game is wack.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By atejas
HandsomeDead said:
"Hallowed_Be_My_Name said:
"GTA IV was far worse than the majority of critics advertised it as."
You're basing this on what? Before you claim i'm being hypocritical, i'm at least putting forward valid points rather than just shitting on it."
This is just me speaking, but the whole game suffered mainly from issues of scale- it was too big for it's own good.
The taxis would stop working every now and then(AI would fail to get to you properly) and driving everywhere got old real quick. ESPECIALLY when some 'friend' keeps calling you up every 10 minutes.
Again, that's just me.