Site Awards and Metacritic Are Bullshit

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

Edited By skrutop

Since I don't buy all that many games, I typically stick with the top-tier games, as far as ratings go.  But it dawned on me today that the best time I had this year was with Mario & Sonic at The Olympics.  The Metacritic score is pretty low, and it's generally thought of as a shitty game, but a dozen drunk people that I know and I piled into a Manhattan apartment and played the shit out of that game for hours.

So fuck the awards.  Sometimes "shitty" games ain't so bad.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

Since I don't buy all that many games, I typically stick with the top-tier games, as far as ratings go.  But it dawned on me today that the best time I had this year was with Mario & Sonic at The Olympics.  The Metacritic score is pretty low, and it's generally thought of as a shitty game, but a dozen drunk people that I know and I piled into a Manhattan apartment and played the shit out of that game for hours.

So fuck the awards.  Sometimes "shitty" games ain't so bad.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Hm, well. I don't think it was generally considered "shit" by most reviewers. I think most of the scores were in the mediocre range, and games in that range can certainly be enjoyable.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Well think of it like this, a stoner movie is never gonna win the academy awards, yet when you're stoned you enjoy them anyway.

That is actually the opposite with movies and games though (in a different light); the "best" movies are usually the ones no one sees and the stupid bad movies get the best sales.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

Life is bullshit i mean wtf.. no respawns.

crimped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By crimped

truth! i personally enjoyed a lot of  games that got low "scores" to hell with critics! what it comes down to is "did you have fun?" not graphics or scores.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Cirdain
skrutop said:
"Since I don't buy all that many games, I typically stick with the top-tier games, as far as ratings go.  But it dawned on me today that the best time I had this year was with Mario & Sonic at The Olympics.  The Metacritic score is pretty low, and it's generally thought of as a shitty game, but a dozen drunk people that I know and I piled into a Manhattan apartment and played the shit out of that game for hours.

So fuck the awards.  Sometimes "shitty" games ain't so bad."
Sometimes... sometimes
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Verdugo

This is true.

But I still like to seek out quality games that I can almost be positive I'll enjoy somewhat, I don't swim in money, so just chancing a buy on a game (say...buying Sonic Unleashed) that looks semi-decent doesn't sound smart, even though I may end up enjoying it more than the majority who say it is a shit game.

Fun is fun!